Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,440 members, 7,815,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . (2716 Views)

7 Reasons Why Your Long Time Boyfriend Will Never Marry You / 10 Signs To Know If Your Boy Friend Wishes To Marry You. / How To Get A Nigerian Man To Marry You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 4:24am On Oct 05, 2011
Your family still disapproves. Please my good people of nairaland, what do you do in a situation like this?

He is everything you want in a man, he is the man of your dream, the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, the only problem, religious difference.

This particular man is willing to forgo his own religion and accept yours, but still your family says "no"

How do you convince your family that this man is the one?

This is a very serious matter and serious advice needed.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by harakiri(m): 5:05am On Oct 05, 2011
Everything bothers on you. Most times, it's usually the woman who converts to the man's religion. The guy is tolerant sha. I would have let the girl marry her family members so there'll be peace.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 05, 2011
You are not helping. undecided
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by mashnino(m): 6:48am On Oct 05, 2011
rokiatu d only thing i think you need now is prayers ooo, is he a muslim or christian?

Gosh GOD please don't lemme face dis kinda situation in my life,
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by harakiri(m): 6:48am On Oct 05, 2011
@Rokiatu, What I said is the cold truth. It's always been the norm for the woman to bend over for the man and rarely the other way round. If the family feel he's not good enough for her based on his religion, then so be it. Religion by the way has little or nothing to do with successful marriages. Matter of fact, surveys show that the marriage of religious couples crash more than non religious couples (go figure).

I happen to be non-religious and I cannot tell you how many times I have been misjudged based on my disbelief in religion (Atheism). Some look at me as if I am an "evil person" that needs deliverance. If I wan marry nko? Dem go say dem no fit allow demon to marry dia pikin, hehehehahaha
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Dabss(m): 7:07am On Oct 05, 2011
mashnino:

rokiatu d only thing i think you need now is prayers ooo, is he a muslim or christian?

Gosh GOD please don't lemme face dis kinda situation in my life,
he is definitely a xtain and she a muslim.
Its only muslim families that give crazy conditions like that. No offence muslim bros but yall know its true
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by mashnino(m): 7:09am On Oct 05, 2011
Da_b¤§§.:

he is definitely a xtain. Its only muslim families that give crazy conditions like that.

hello!! don't insult another religion's view. this is not even a religion problem, this is more of like the parents don't like the guy at all.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 05, 2011
Da_b¤§§.:

he is definitely a xtain and she a muslim.
Its only muslim families that give crazy conditions like that. No offence muslim bros but yall know its true
Freaking embarrassing but you are right.

1 Like

Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by mashnino(m): 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2011
so rokiatu u support?
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 05, 2011
Because thats the harsh truth.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by mashnino(m): 1:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
ahan i neva knew
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 05, 2011
Anyway my question is what do you do in a situation like this?
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by mashnino(m): 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
pray
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Orton10(m): 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
A trip to the Sahara coupled with intense prayers, fasting and abstinence from s*x might give 'em a head-way. Worked for my sister's Aunt's in-law. True story.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
Orton1_0:

A trip to the Sahara coupled with intense prayers, fasting and abstinence from s*x might give 'em a head-way. Worked for my sister's Aunt's in-law. True story.
Ok thanks bro.

I absolutely agree with you.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by maclatunji: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
Let the man go. If he had found the religion before he found you it would have been a different matter.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nayah(f): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2011
hELLO Rokiatu smiley

I think people should stop taking religion as an excuse to attack people in general, religion is personal and has to be applied in everyday life not ponctually

Then religion has nothing, NOTHING to do with love, the most important is to believe isn't it? so let's be tolerant and leave these religion issues that way, now I can understand people who don't want to disappoint their parents
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by omega25red(m): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2011
Roki
This is tough

If this woman needs her family's approval to get married then she might as well look else where or run away with the man but remember that when stuff goes wrong you need to be able to run back to your family. Then again if the man is willing to forgo his religion (which i dont see why this is important for marriage) then he can convert to the on the bride's family is and maybe they will accept him then because we all praise the same God.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Goldieluks: 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2011
Nayah:

hELLO Rokiatu  smiley

I think people should stop taking religion as an excuse to attack people in general, religion is personal and has to be applied in everyday life not ponctually

Then religion has nothing, NOTHING to do with love, the most important is to believe isn't it? so let's be tolerant and leave these religion issues that way, now I can understand people who don't want to disappoint their parents

The muslim religion is different and strict too,its all about pleasing the religion and the family at the same time.
So the only remedy is prayer ie. if Allah is on your side.Because a lot of muslim girls, are killed by their family because of issues such as this,
they call it ''honour killing''.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Plutarch: 1:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
It hardly work. If u r religiously self conscious i pray u that u marry some1 wiv same religious bground execpt if d person is agnostic or an atheist. Gudluck!
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nayah(f): 1:52pm On Oct 05, 2011
Goldielucks I can understand some people who have strng beliefs but imposing them and kill for that is quite overreacted to me
Then, I know that muslims can be tough but murders are few, time is changing some of them marry christians, but yes a big part is still difficult to handle

But live is about choice as I have always said
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2011
Roki, It all depends on you, because, in the end, it's your happiness that's at stake, not your parents! The guy has gone all out for you, and right now, he is tied! Where i'll have an issue with the guy is if he only converted, just to win your love, and not because he loves islam! Those are two different things! And the way i see you too, you are quite willing to convert to Christianity, if need be for the sake of the love you two have for each other!
Now, mind you, your parents have your best interests at heart! you are their daughter, and NO PARENT would like to see their beloved daughter fall into wrong hands, especially if you have lived your life throughout with them, and if you have been a good daughter to them! Eloping with him is not an option! You yourself dont want to give your parents any heartbreak or disrespect by going out of your way to marry him! Yes, it's you life, but you have to show consideration to the ones that always got your back since you were a precocious toddler!
My advice forward is to reach a concession with your parents! You ALONE can do that! FACT! No one else would be able to convince them otherwise! Why? Because they dont give a damn about anyone else, but you! So if you can convince them that you will be fine, and that the guy is of good qualities and that he can continue the tradition they set in taking care of you, i think they'll see reasons with you! Their concern here is not his religious status, else they'd have accepted immediately you said that he agreed to being a Muslim! Remind them that they want you to be happy, and with him, you have found your happiness! It should be evident to them that he makes you happy! Remind them also that sooner or later, they wont be there to take care of you! FACT! Wont they rather rest assured, in the knowledge that their beloved daughter is in safe hands? He is your safety! they have to understand!
It would take time, and effort from on your part before they change their mind! Bringing in 3rd parties in issues like this is often not the way to go! When discussing the issue, never ever raise your voice, or use words like, i'm grown up, i can make my decisions yada yada yada! You'll only worsen matters, because parents believe that only immature adults make such comments! Remind them of how happy they are as your parents together, and how you will want to be happy like them! Respectfully and tactfully explaining your stand on your feelings for him,  to them would definitely yield results! But how long it would take, sexkillz doesnt know! All i know is that they are humans with emotions, and humans with emotions always follow a pattern: Sooner or later, ALL humans,. . . Yield! your happiness, should be their happiness! smiley
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 05, 2011
omega25red:

Roki
This is tough

If this woman needs her family's approval to get married then she might as well look else where or run away with the man but remember that when stuff goes wrong you need to be able to run back to your family. Then again if the man is willing to forgo his religion (which i dont see why this is important for marriage) then he can convert to the on the bride's family is and maybe they will accept him then because we all praise the same God.
He is 100% ready to do so but still the family disapproves. Read what I wrote.

Another bomb has drop, they are now talking that the guy is not the same tribe blah blah blah.

Poor guy is so depressed.

Nayah:

hELLO Rokiatu smiley

Hope everyone could understand like you. Another reason why the family is being strict is because they believe the guy wouldn't take the religion seriously. And they are afraid he may becomes weak after her finally gets the woman.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
sexkillz:

Roki, It all depends on you, because, in the end, it's your happiness that's at stake, not your parents! The guy has gone all out for you, and right now, he is tied! Where i'll have an issue with the guy is if he only converted, just to win your love, and not because he loves islam! Those are two different things! And the way i see you too, you are quite willing to convert to Christianity, if need be for the sake of the love you two have for each other!
Now, mind you, your parents have your best interests at heart! you are their daughter, and NO PARENT would like to see their beloved daughter fall into wrong hands, especially if you have lived your life throughout with them, and if you have been a good daughter to them! Eloping with him is not an option! You yourself dont want to give your parents any heartbreak or disrespect by going out of your way to marry him! Yes, it's you life, but you have to show consideration to the ones that always got your back since you were a precocious toddler!
My advice forward is to reach a concession with your parents! You ALONE can do that! FACT! No one else would be able to convince them otherwise! Why? Because they dont give a damn about anyone else, but you! So if you can convince them that you will be fine, and that the guy is of good qualities and that he can continue the tradition they set in taking care of you, i think they'll see reasons with you! Their concern here is not his religious status, else they'd have accepted immediately you said that he agreed to being a Muslim! Remind them that they want you to be happy, and with him, you have found your happiness! It should be evident to them that he makes you happy! Remind them also that sooner or later, they wont be there to take care of you! FACT! Wont they rather rest assured, in the knowledge that their beloved daughter is in safe hands? He is your safety! they have to understand!
It would take time, and effort from on your part before they change their mind! Bringing in 3rd parties in issues like this is often not the way to go! When discussing the issue, never ever raise your voice, or use words like, i'm grown up, i can make my decisions yada yada yada! You'll only worsen matters, because parents believe that only immature adults make such comments! Remind them of how happy they are as your parents together, and how you will want to be happy like them! Respectfully and tactfully explaining your stand on your feelings for him, to them would definitely yield results! But how long it would take, sexkillz doesnt know! All i know is that they are humans with emotions, and humans with emotions always follow a pattern: Sooner or later, ALL humans,. . . Yield! your happiness, should be their happiness! smiley

Thank you, thank you so much.

P.S this story is not about me.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by MrCork17: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2011
Rokiatu. Sweeery plis can we doncorknate before Valentine day 2012? We are so compatible wink
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nayah(f): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
rokiatu:

He is 100% ready to do so but still the family disapproves. Read what I wrote.

Another bomb has drop, they are now talking that the guy is not the same tribe blah blah blah.

Poor guy is so depressed.

Hope everyone could understand like you. Another reason why the family is being strict is because they believe the guy wouldn't take the religion seriously. And they are afraid he may becomes weak after her finally gets the woman.

My sister, a lot of people think like I do but the thing is they are hidden by some people who are mistaken between raising someone with values and "dictatorship" very often this situation can create troubles within families and tear it, but people have to make choices sometimes
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2011
Please Mr cork, please respect this thread.

This one is a serious one.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
Thank you, thank you so much.

P.S this story is not about me.

Lol! Sorry about that! I always find it easier to address whoever posted the topic, irrespective of whether the story is theirs or not! My bad though! smiley
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by MrCork17: 2:24pm On Oct 05, 2011
rokitu. ok. whats the question about?
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
sexkillz:

Lol! Sorry about that! I always find it easier to address whoever posted the topic, irrespective of whether the story is theirs or not! My bad though! smiley
Thats ok, great advice, thank you once again. smiley
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by Orton10(m): 2:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
Like someone said on here, its normally the Ladies who 'give in' when it comes to this marriage-religion dilemma amongst couples.
And some parents ain't fools, Should Love be enough reason for a young Man to abandone the Religion He was not only born into but also grew up with for another?
If you ask me, She's prolly got rich parents and maybe Muslims also, and hey, A car, house and a lucrative job ain't a bad deal for a newly converted in-law, huh?

Bottomline for me, Her parents took Johnny for a gold digger. End of story.
Re: He Is Willing To Forgo His Religion Just To Marry You But . . . . by HotieTima(f): 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
i don't really think religion should become a problem if there is love i am pretty sure ALLAH ( SWT) loves does that wants to take his path and the dees is forever great-full, but i guess is not the same for everyone else in life , but one should really try that best with they parents and try to bring them around u know, coz in time it will get to a place where u wish ur parents was there with u. u know.

but i swear is fighting to keep the person u love don't work with ur parents been disown wouldn't kill u either  undecided undecided  grin grin no joke

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Miss Nairaland June 2012(final Elimination Contd) / Rate Your Ideal Partner Preferences / Why You Should Not Get Married!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.