Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% (37639 Views)

Salako: Reducing Petrol Consumption, Vehicles On Roads Achievement By Tinubu / NNPC: Subsidy Removal To Reduce Petrol Consumption By 30% / Weak Export Drags Down Nigeria’s Trade Balance By 86% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Sojourner1976: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
Day169:
Possibly from reduced smuggling of petroleum products across the borders.
That's one reason but the main reason is the reduced capacity of millions of Nigerians to afford the commodity.
Personally, I use to spend between 10/15k monthly on fuel per week but now I only buy 2/3k fuel mainly on Saturdays to take the family to church. The rest of the days I trek or join public transport.
My experience holds true for many people.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by DeOTR: 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2023
masseratti:
i have been to like 20 states in Nigeria... I think we are over Estimated.. I have also been to other countries, Nigeria can't be up to 200m. We are hardly 150m.
Don't mind them. As if he doesn't know we politicize everything in this country.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by masseratti: 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2023
DeOTR:

Don't mind them. As if he doesn't know we politicize everything in this country.
i wonder.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by grandstar(m): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2023
Believeintruth:

It's is not about low trust, Nigeria has a data gathering issue. The government agencies themselves made this so that there will avoid accountability. So why should I I believe something that even you know is doctored.

You don't trust data coming from government agencies which emphasizes my point about "low trust society"

Here's an article below about Nigeria daily petrol consumption

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/553297-nmdpra-gives-new-figure-of-daily-petrol-consumption-in-nigeria.html?tztc=1

The government should have some clue that if 50 million litres is released to the market, it would create scarcity. There's no way NNPC won't know this figure.

Let's use the lower estimate of 60m litres in that article. Let's assume government lied and only 40% of that figure is consumed daily, that would still cost the government hundreds of billions to subsidize. Nigerian petrol was cheaper than the raw crude oil needed to refine it. It was so insanely cheap.

Government isn't ready to continue subsidizing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Believeintruth: 3:45pm On Jul 08, 2023
grandstar:

You don't trust data coming from government agencies which emphasizes my point about "low trust society"

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/553297-nmdpra-gives-new-figure-of-daily-petrol-consumption-in-nigeria.html?tztc=1

The government should have some clue that if 50 million litres is released to the market, it would create scarcity. There's no way NNPC won't know this figure.

Let's use the lower estimate of 60m litres in that article. Let's assume government lied and only 40% of that figure is consumed daily, that would still cost the government hundreds of billions to subsidize. Nigerian petrol was cheaper than the raw crude oil needed to refine it. It was so insanely cheap.

Oga stop the play acting here. I detest this eye service you are doing. You know fully well that data gathering in Nigeria is flawed. Do you know that Nigeria doesn't have an accurate record of the oil Wells they have. There has been cases of under-reporting by IOCs in the past and local oil companies. The first Oil well in Brunel was discovered by 1900 and it is still producing, while Oloibiri 1 which is the first oil well in Nigeria is already decommissioned. According to Shell the proven oil reserves in Oloibiri are more than the one in Brunel, but the Brunel one is still producing while Oloibiri is closed down, and what is interesting is if you calculate the flow rate in barrels per day all these years from Oloibiri there is no way that well should have run dry at that rate. Which begs the question why does the government not have an efficie t data gathering technique at the source to gather flawless data.
Bros stop being a hypocrite abeg. The same NNPC that cannot explain the jump in litres of petrol from 54million in 2015 to more than 60million in mid 2016. Bros once again stop being a hypocrite and doing eye service.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by nairalanda1(m): 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2023
grandstar:

It's difficult to discuss fuel subsidy on this site.

Good point you made.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by grandstar(m): 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2023
Believeintruth:

Oga stop the play acting here. I detest this eye service you are doing. You know fully well that data gathering in Nigeria is flawed. Do you know that Nigeria doesn't have an accurate record of the oil Wells they have. There has been cases of under-reporting by IOCs in the past and local oil companies. The first Oil well in Brunel was discovered by 1900 and it is still producing, while Oloibiri 1 which is the first oil well in Nigeria is already decommissioned. According to Shell the proven oil reserves in Oloibiri are more than the one in Brunel, but the Brunel one is still producing while Oloibiri is closed down, and what is interesting is if you calculate the flow rate in barrels per day all these years from Oloibiri there is no way that well should have run dry at that rate. Which begs the question why does the government not have an efficie t data gathering technique at the source to gather flawless data.
Bros stop being a hypocrite abeg. The same NNPC that cannot explain the jump in litres of petrol from 54million in 2015 to more than 60million in mid 2016. Bros once again stop being a hypocrite and doing eye service.

What eye service? What hypocrisy?

What makes me a hypocrite? Who am I doing eye service to ot for?

You're a sulking child displaying an extremely worrisome case of deaf ears.

Continue living in total denial and confusion. Your tantrums can't change day to night. Winge and whine all you.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Believeintruth: 4:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
grandstar:

What eye service? What hypocrisy?

What makes me a hypocrite? Who am I doing eye service to ot for?

You're a sulking child displaying an extremely worrisome case of deaf ears.

Continue living in total denial and confusion. Your tantrums won't make change day to night. Winge and whine all you.

There is no denial in what I am saying. I am telling you the real facts and the truth that you are being hypocritical and demonstrating eye service.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:32pm On Jul 08, 2023
Believeintruth:

By how much? Please don't believe this propaganda what percentage of our fuel is being smuggled? Only a 40% smuggled quantity would have caused all year round fuel scarcity. The amount being smuggled is not up to 10%

Propaganda from where, I know what I am saying

Do you really know how many borders we have I mean where petrol is being smuggled out?
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
lexy2014:

That means removal of fuel subsidy didn't stop smuggling.

Are you aware that all previous "subsidy removals" were done because of "our neighbouring countries"?

Yes it can’t be totally stop in as much there’s price differences between the neighboring country , actually the profit has been reduced
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:37pm On Jul 08, 2023
BabaCommander:

So our own consumption has not really fallen? I have personally cut down on fuel to half of what I used.. and I know a lotta folks who did same.

Since our fuel is no longer being subsidized, how is it possible to smuggle it again? Is it still cheaper hear than in Niger and Benin Rep?

Yes it’s still cheaper but no more profitable, instead they brought in Rice and supply petrol
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by NLPoliceWoman: 5:40pm On Jul 08, 2023
RTR
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by lexy2014: 7:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

Yes it can’t be totally stop in as much there’s price differences between the neighboring country , actually the profit has been reduced

How does the fuel get to neighboring countries?
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Believeintruth: 7:17pm On Jul 08, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

Propaganda from where, I know what I am saying

Do you really know how many borders we have I mean where petrol is being smuggled out?

You don't even have a definite quantity that is being smuggled and you are here talking.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by leokid866: 7:38pm On Jul 08, 2023
CodeTemplar:
lie lie.
okay you that know better tell us true true.....
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by NLPoliceWoman: 12:26pm On Jul 09, 2023
RTR
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Believeintruth:

You don't even have a definite quantity that is being smuggled and you are here talking.

Hahaha how do you expect me to have definite quality that is being smuggled out when we have more than 100 routes to neighboring countries
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
lexy2014:

There are more than 100 routes leading to neighboring countries
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Believeintruth: 8:51pm On Jul 09, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

Hahaha how do you expect me to have definite quality that is being smuggled out when we have more than 100 routes to neighboring countries

Oga it is not about the routes. The problem is the data system being practiced we pay subsidy for what is imported bot what is actually consumed so anyone can claim an amount and NNPC in abid to save face will take the easy way out, blame smuggling.
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by lexy2014: 8:58pm On Jul 09, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

There are more than 100 routes leading to neighboring countries

That isn't what I asked you.

Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by NLPoliceWoman: 10:37am On Jul 10, 2023
RTR
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Dougad: 11:46am On Jul 10, 2023
SKIBiNSKI:
You have go to be the most irritatingly dumbbest idiat on this forum. grin i give you 2 gold medal for it just incase you lose the first one.

That guy is a fucking idiot. He's literally the biggest worthless scum on this site.
Lmao 🤣🤣
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:47pm On Jul 10, 2023
lexy2014:

That isn't what I asked you.

I just gave you the answer
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by lexy2014: 5:49pm On Jul 10, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

I just gave you the answer

You didn't give me the answer. This is what I asked....How does the fuel get to neighboring countries?
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:49pm On Jul 10, 2023
Believeintruth:

Oga it is not about the routes. The problem is the data system being practiced we pay subsidy for what is imported bot what is actually consumed so anyone can claim an amount and NNPC in abid to save face will take the easy way out, blame smuggling.

I didn’t really understand you
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by JIBO4REAL(m): 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
lexy2014:

You didn't give me the answer. This is what I asked....How does the fuel get to neighboring countries?

Through those routes or borders
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by lexy2014: 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

Through those routes or borders

How does the fuel goes "Through those routes or borders"?
Re: Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% by Believeintruth: 6:19pm On Jul 10, 2023
JIBO4REAL:

I didn’t really understand you

What I meant to say is that the projections for subsidy are made based on what the marketers claim they brought in and not from an empirical analysis of what the consumption is.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari And Ambode Commission Edo University (Photos) / This Is How The Federal Government Can Stop Nnamdi Kanu Before It's Too Late / Peter Obi Supporter Sacked After Attending 2-Million-Man March In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.