Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,260 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade (36775 Views)

EFCC Warns Skitmakers, Movie Producers Over Unauthorized Use Of Jackets, Symbols / "Gangs Of Lagos" Banner Torn On Third Mainland Bridge (Picture) / The Gangs Of Lagos: Indigenes Petition NFVCB Over Defamation Of Isale Eko, Eyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by NwekeUG(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2023
Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos has given Amazon a 14-day ultimatum to remove the Eyo masquerade from the movie ‘Gangs of Lagos’, IGBERETV reports.

The movie, which was directed by Jade Osiberu, was released to the pubic via Amazon’s Prime Video on April 7.

‘Gangs of Lagos’ tells the story of a group of friends forced to navigate the hardship of growing up on the streets of Lagos.

The Eyo masquerade, unique to the Lagos neighbourhood of Isale Eko, has drawn criticism from the public for being portrayed in the movie as being worn by a group of murderers.

Irate indigenes have also questioned the film’s portrayal of Isale Eko as a den of criminals.

As a result, the Isale Eko Descendants Union (IDU) filed a lawsuit against Amazon and the film’s producers. The union is demanding ₦10 billion in damages.

The Oba of Lagos, while wading in on the matter said the Eyo was illegally represented in the movie and as such damaged the reputation of the brand.

He also alleging that it violated the rights of the indigenous people of Lagos.

Conditions to restore the holiness of the Eyo

Oba Rilwan Akiolu therefore listed four conditions that the producers must meet within 14 days.

The conditions are that Amazon Web Service, Greoh Studios, and the film producers should “immediately remove, cease and desist from using” the image getup and the full manifestation of the local Eyo masquerade in the ‘Gangs of Lagos’.

Since the portrayal was done without permission or due reference to the office of the Oba of Lagos, he ordered the movie makers to provide a plan for restoring Eyo’s holiness. He requested that the movie makers provide a plan for compensation for the infringement.

‘Gangs of Lagos’ is the newest original African production from Prime, which was founded by Amazon.

https://igberetvnews.com/1447962/gang-lagos-oba-issues-14-day-ultimatum-producers-eyo-masquerade/

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by nairavsdollars(f): 9:40am On Jul 09, 2023
cheesy grin cheesy Was it the same Oba who fled his Palace during #EndSARS protest or another one?

258 Likes 21 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Pravedk: 9:42am On Jul 09, 2023
Was just a movie...

Why are they bothered by few scenes?

Should christians start giving 14 day ultimatum for depiction of fake pastors too?

208 Likes 12 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by helinues: 9:45am On Jul 09, 2023
Pravedk:
Was just a movie...

Should christians start giving 14 day ultimatum for depiction of fake pastors too?

Sorry, it's a must to preserve our culture and heritage.

No nonentity would be allowed to thwart that

336 Likes 18 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by helinues: 9:46am On Jul 09, 2023
nairavsdollars:
cheesy grin cheesy Was it the same Oba who fled his Palace during #EndSARS protest or another one?

Yes he's the one, anyone wey dem born him papa well should try that again

35 Likes 18 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by mariovito(m): 9:47am On Jul 09, 2023
Mumu man.

What is oba of Lagos?

Movie wey don circulate round the whole world na e you dey say make dem remove scene wey you nor like.

Oya come and delete the scene from the one on my phone.

It's easier to recall all the Peugeot 504s in circulation at the moment because of Factory defect than for this your senile wish to come true.

Who even advices these people?

Even if he were to approach a Court of law, this his request CANNOT be granted. The deed is done, what he can claim at best is damages, but then how can he prove that the eyo scene caused him any loss or damage?

Again I ask, what is oba of Lagos?

185 Likes 19 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Chekwume16(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2023
Its just a movie. I don't know why this oba has a penchant for controversies. He doesn't command respect like other obas in yoruba land

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Zupay: 9:54am On Jul 09, 2023
helinues:
Their goats wan eventually drink pap

You see, this thread is about Lagos state SW, culture/heritage preservation but you go see those who wake their pa with a dirty slap to come and shook mouth into this

After how many months and millions have already watched it. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank God say another Oba pikin co-wrote and directed the film. cheesy cheesy cheesy

You that wakes at 2.00a.m to create South East focused threads is talking about boundaries, like I always let you know, you are good case study for psychology students. cheesy cheesy

133 Likes 14 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Absuchat(m): 9:54am On Jul 09, 2023
Bunch of backward I. Diots

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by masseratti: 9:54am On Jul 09, 2023
I want to believe this is a big lie... Cos it's dead on arrival.. Eyo was not even shown in any bad light in the movie, if there is truly a court case.. They will lose the case woefully.. I believe this is a fake news, the Ọba won't have time for this I want to believe.

6 Likes

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by helinues: 9:55am On Jul 09, 2023
Zupay:

After how many months and millions have already watched it. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank God say another Oba pikin co-wrote and directed the film. cheesy cheesy cheesy

You that wakes at 2.00a.m to create South East focused threads is talking about boundaries, like I always let you know, you are good case study for psychology students. cheesy cheesy

Yhen Yhan Yhon

Those who produced that movie would be brought to book. Our land our rules

If you are not satisfied, please go to court

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by ottersberger(m): 9:58am On Jul 09, 2023
Nonsense!.

A lazy man trying to fleece and grift under camouflage. There's nothing proprietary within Eyo that is domiciled with the phoolish Oba. He is at liberty to seek redress in a law court if he feels otherwise.

Owo mi da mentality. When will he and his fellow lazy phools who call themselves Oba, send a cease and desist letter to Gambari, who just pissed on the traditions and rites of the Yoruba in the Fulani conquered Yorubaland?.

I am waiting to hear that lazy agberos in Yorubaland are finally staging to redeem their low self esteems by invading en masse to finally rescue Ilorin, for where... Shey na Igbo matter dey give una erection. In Nnamdi Kanu's voice, mad people everywhere.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by M4A1carbine: 10:04am On Jul 09, 2023
Oba that is useless.

His staff of office was stolen and his throne desecrated by touts and agberos. If the OBA and his throne is sacred all those that did that would have been dealt with. Instead the OBA is busy talking Nonsense.

Abi, OBA wan be like EMIR wey ban Yoruba priestess for Yoruba land?

Anyway, the film na Yoruba film, actors na Yoruba, producer na Yoruba. grin

Abeg make I RONU. grin

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by M4A1carbine: 10:06am On Jul 09, 2023
Brutality...you Nailed IT!

ottersberger:
Nonsense!.

A lazy man trying to fleece and grift under camouflage. There's nothing proprietary within Eyo that is domiciled with the phoolish Oba. He is at liberty to seek redress in a law court if he feels otherwise.

Owo mi da mentality. When will he and his fellow lazy phools who call themselves Oba, send a cease and desist letter to Gambari, who just pissed on the traditions and rites of the Yoruba in the Fulani conquered Yorubaland?.

I am waiting to hear that lazy agberos in Yorubaland are finally staging to redeem their low self esteems by invading en masse to finally rescue Ilorin, for where... Shey na Igbo matter dey give una erection. In Nnamdi Kanu's voice, mad people everywhere.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Zupay: 10:07am On Jul 09, 2023
helinues:

Yhen Yhan Yhon

Those who produced that movie would be brought to book. Our land our rules

If you are not satisfied, please go to court

Bring Jade Osiberu to book? cheesy cheesy cheesy Where do you even measure up to her? Is it intellect, education or family pedigree? cheesy cheesy

Person whey sign exclusive 3 years deal with Amazon Prime Video na im your feeble fist wan punch. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

She is not Nairaland where you seek your relevance! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Monsignor22: 10:32am On Jul 09, 2023
Clowns

6 Likes

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by odigbosky(m): 10:40am On Jul 09, 2023
No level

Make Oba calm down watch the movie...the movie make sense die

9 Likes

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by ResidentSnitch(f): 10:47am On Jul 09, 2023
Oba Lil Wayne? The Palliative looter?
The end SARS japa guyman?
Nah... I didn't read whatever he had to say there.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Zupay: 10:56am On Jul 09, 2023
helinues:

Na dem young omoluabis, who prostrate to greet their elders but are riff raffs in Isale Eko that chased a whole Oba out of the Palace and made away with his staff of office. . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by liveyourlife007(m): 11:09am On Jul 09, 2023
Ola of Lagos dey popular pass that oba of Lagos grin

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by GodHimself: 11:16am On Jul 09, 2023
No movie is ever just a movie.

Pravedk:
Was just a movie...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by Khyrvxjzy: 11:17am On Jul 09, 2023
masseratti:
I want to believe this is a big lie... Cos it's dead on arrival.. Eyo was not even shown in any bad light in the movie, if there is truly a court case.. They will lose the case woefully.. I believe this is a fake news, the Ọba won't have time for this I want to believe.

eyo wey carry gun dey shoot people towards d end nko?

u dey craze

8 Likes

Re: ‘Gangs Of Lagos’: Oba Issues 14-Day Ultimatum To Producers Over Eyo Masquerade by tolexy007(m): 11:19am On Jul 09, 2023
helinues:

lolz...It is same touts around the Oba palace that chase the Oba out from his palace not Foreigners

32 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

BBNaija: Nina "I Told My Boyfriend I Could Cheat On Him In The House" / #BBNaija : Fight Between Frodd And Elo Over Food (Photos) / Dennis Okike Wins Gulder Ultimate Search 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.