Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise (20349 Views)

NLC Protests: Why Nigeria's Economy Is In Such A Mess - BBC News / Updates On The NLC Protests Nationwide / ASUU Strike: NLC Protests Rock States In Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by tollyboy5(m): 10:08am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:

You can't subsidize Petrol again after removing subsidy

They should try and help car owners switch to LNG and Electric Hybrid

Guy increasing minimum wages is not negotiable.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by slevan: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2023
What have you veen experiencing over the last 8 years? Deflation? Funny guy.

quote author=MS247 post=124387806] cool

NLC and their wahala

Let's start with 500billion palliative

300% increase in salary might cause inflation

.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by MS247: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2023
tollyboy5:

Guy increasing minimum wages is not negotiable.

Yes it's not.. it should go up periodically.. not 300% at a once
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by vanditijjani: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2023
[quote author=MS247 post=124387806] cool

NLC and their wahala

500 billion for the vulnerable will cause inflation but 114% increase for politicians is okay?
Hmmm.. Nigeria my country.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Alfatonji: 10:17am On Jul 13, 2023
It is rather very premature for NLC to demand for 300 percent pay rise at this current inflation rate. I believe these people are technocrats they suppose to understand how economy works. They forgot those that are self employed.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Kukutenla: 10:19am On Jul 13, 2023
tesppidd:
What is 500 billion ffs?

It's not even up to what I spend in one year.

Talkless of 125 million people.
grin grin grin
Elegbe
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by slowice(m): 10:22am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

Nah there's no way you have a functional brain.... What are you saying?
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by slowice(m): 10:24am On Jul 13, 2023
An avenue to settle the boys have arrived.

Watch how tilumbu's government will vehemently pursue this agenda.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by MS247: 10:24am On Jul 13, 2023
slowice:

Nah there's no way you have a functional brain.... What are you saying?

Nairaland is going through alot...

No meaningful Economic arguement, just kids looking for silly banter
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Shattuck(m): 10:31am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

you know nothing about inflation Nigerians are largely underpaid, getting the right wage for labour can never be detrimental to society. Guess you prefer the palliative, which we all know is an avenue for looting.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by MS247: 10:33am On Jul 13, 2023
Shattuck:
you know nothing about inflation Nigerians are largely underpaid, getting the right wage for labour can never be detrimental to society. Guess you prefer the palliative, which we all know is an avenue for looting.

Do you or anyone you know earn under Federal Government Payroll and would benefit from the 300% salary increments

Yes or No

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by tollyboy5(m): 10:33am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:

Yes it's not.. it should go up periodically.. not 300% at a once
Yes agreed.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by jaxxy(m): 10:38am On Jul 13, 2023
waveman2:
So what is your suggestion? Palliative loans should be given to SME(anyone with business and plan that has applied and not ghost businesses as they did during buhari time) and also Transportation palliatives(in form of Transit Buses,intercity Rail networks,loan for car conversation), then before increase in minimum wage.Then government can get back these loans and get more taxes.

This is meaningless. SME support is doesn't work in a harsh business environment. What is business and plan? We already have SME programs running with no results because of the economy.

We have scam feeding programs that people need to be probed and arrested.

Supporting more SME even if successful will not reduce inflation or improve the exchange rate.

SME program support are not for short term fixes bt mid/long term.

Transportation palliatives in What manner? Will the Transport workers reduce their fairs or we want to subsidise the brt and how sustainable is that?

My point is palliatives even with the best execution like in civil climes were accountable is well monitored is meaningless if the issues with the economy are not actively addressed and tackled. Palliatives are very temporary and mean nothing long or mid term.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Pinkybush: 10:41am On Jul 13, 2023
Toothless NLC. They were busy jumping up and down during Jonathan's regime, but now they've become vegetable in the hands of APC government. Who take this ones serious is doing so at his/her own peril.

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Shattuck(m): 10:46am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:

Do you or anyone you know earn under Federal Government Payroll and would benefit from the 300% salary increments

Yes or No

I don't work for the govt neither do I know anyone
Who works for the govt, but if it is done I would know for a fact that ordinary Nigerians atleast are benefiting from the subsidy removal, compare to the stupid palliative idea that is an avenue for politicians to loot endlessly, we saw the palliative program under buhari how it was a perfect avenue for corruption, we saw how food items were hoarded during covid 19, anything palliative is a scam, I don't have to personally benefit from it for the fact ordinary Nigerians are benefiting from it, I will always support it.

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Reference(m): 10:46am On Jul 13, 2023
What a mess.
Honestly we are in a situation where this elephant of a country and its challenges are met with mosquito sized governance and leadership.
I have been screaming about the inflationary effects of subsidy removals for weeks. Nothing, absolutely nothing has been done to address that till date. It is as if we are watching in real time the ship of state heading for the infamous iceberg.

The greatest and most effective palliative is a 'controlled economy', an economy that is driven and steered in the direction of development and prosperity. But what we have now is an out of control, massive juggernaut hurtling downhill and we are trying to halt the slide with the brakes of a bicycle.

How is 500 billion going to return Nigerians to the kind of productivity that will impact poverty. Yes, perhaps a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago but the crashing juggernaut has picked up too much momentum downhill caused by government inaction this past month since ending subsidies that this palliative will have no impact whatsoever even when administered properly. It looks more like government PR.

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by tinsel: 10:48am On Jul 13, 2023
KingsCity:
Too bad

Assuming a population of 200 million, N 500 billion will translate to N2,500 person

This is a big joke
It is mainly for the low-income earners and not everybody within your population estimate of 200m people.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by deavicky(m): 10:48am On Jul 13, 2023
If Nigeria give me 500billion I will build a refinery within 2 years. And If did not,let them jail me and my entire family.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Sunnymatey(m): 10:49am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

but 114℅ increase in salaries of politicians and judges won't.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by sherylbaky(f): 10:52am On Jul 13, 2023
Good Point. However, they can not stop the mentality of money sharing as that's where their means of embezzlement majorly lies
Mom007:
Is this palliative only for those employed by government and her agencies? Abi how are the self employed and unemployed supposed to get a piece of it? I hope its not another scam whereby a group of people pocket everything o. I would have expected they do something with the money that everyone, young and old can benefit from, not just a few. I would suggest they buy some rugged and heavy duty buses that can carry at least 100-120 people at a time and have them ply the roads free or at a really subsidised rate. I'm not talking of those fancy looking brt buses they keep buying... Something strong and rugged and the elderly people and children should be free on those busses. Thats how its done in sane societies. The people over 60 do not pay for public transport. They just scan their cards and get on, absolutely free. Let's stop this mentality of sharing money all the time and start having our money work for us.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by fritiyo: 11:08am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

So, 500b palliative will not cause inflation? Palliative cannot work in the favor of the ordinary Nigerians.
Let the government increase salary the same way they keep increasing they own benefits as political office holders
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by tesppidd: 11:11am On Jul 13, 2023
Kukutenla:

grin grin grin
Elegbe
grin
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Sk5050: 11:12am On Jul 13, 2023
A good move in the right direction. I totally agree with this opinion That! The Concept is fine but we need more explanations on the Scope how the money will be sent.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by waveman2: 11:13am On Jul 13, 2023
Nigerian govt have not been transparent in SME funding,most people that get the loan have no business idea or business itself.Politicians have been using those program for political patronage, we need to get this funding to the real business people and you would see growth.
Forget all these conditional cash transfer, Npower, Trader mini, all these were waste of our resources and a drawback to our economy,when these program started I said these program would yield nothing but only make our economy worse and also make people poorer.we need to make people work so that wealth can be created that is what makes an economy grow.
It is the duty of our govt to support SME through low interest loans to aid productivity which inturn will curb inflation but not categorically improve our exchange rate but who cares about the exchange rate if we produce what we use without any need for the dollar?we cannot alley rely on investors to build our economy as most of them ae ornhe short term.
One doesn't have to be an economist to know what would work for nigeria.we have failed most time to include the human factors in our analysis and that is why successive govt has failed.
jaxxy:

This is meaningless. SME support is doesn't work in a harsh business environment. What is business and plan? We already have SME programs running with no results because of the economy.

We have scam feeding programs that people need to be probed and arrested.

Supporting more SME even if successful will not reduce inflation or improve the exchange rate.

SME program support are not for short term fixes bt mid/long term.

Transportation palliatives in What manner? Will the Transport workers reduce their fairs or we want to subsidise the brt and how sustainable is that?

My point is palliatives even with the best execution like in civil climes were accountable is well monitored is meaningless if the issues with the economy are not actively addressed and tackled. Palliatives are very temporary and mean nothing long or mid term.
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by IBBG(m): 11:16am On Jul 13, 2023
From one useless administration to another one. God help us

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by maticar: 11:27am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

use your head
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Shopwise: 11:31am On Jul 13, 2023
Time to go Solar.
Convert your generator to gas
Explore all alternatives
Be innovative
Check my signature for alternative and affordable solutions

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by nabiz(m): 11:32am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

and national assembly bogus allowance won't cause inflation. The question to ask is who and who will benefit the 500b. Will the workers benefit from it or will be like our covic19 looted palliative. How long will the 500b continue
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Menclothing: 11:35am On Jul 13, 2023
Bobloco:

Tinubu should not use 500billion palliative money to buy bags of rice and cartons of noodles that will be hijacked by highly connected APC members

He should use the money to subsidize fuel so that the price per liter will reduce. That one go benefit everybody

500b can’t subsidize fuel for 2 month

Best is give than money to a bank let people borrowing at 5 percent interest rate for business.

Petrol that will be sold at higher price to neighboring countries
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Idaytesj29(m): 11:48am On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:
cool

NLC and their wahala

All the billions the political class and elites have been stealing and spending did not cause inflation, but that of the poor workers will. Continue
Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by Druss(m): 11:55am On Jul 13, 2023
I agree. The 500bn will be chopped by people. Salaries are harder to chop by crooks.

1 Like

Re: NLC Protests Tinubu’s N500bn Subsidy Palliative, Demands 300% Pay Rise by delkuf(m): 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2023
MS247:

Yes or No

You keep asking this stupid question. Do you know how much is minimum wage compare to the economy reality of Nigeria presently. Yes I know someone that is in the federal government payroll so what do you want to do with that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Open Letter To President Buhari By Timi Frank / APC Has Majority In Senate –punch Investigation / NASS Leadership: What Happened In 2015 Might Repeat Itself, Saraki Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.