Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,414 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? (23917 Views)

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? / Why POOR Families Might Be Better Than Middle Class / How To Identify A Middle Class Nigerian : Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nice2023(m): 8:16pm On Jul 15, 2023
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.

44 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Draslo(m): 8:21pm On Jul 15, 2023
Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.
Rent : 1.5m (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 300k
Petrol/Diesel (car, business home) :
Break down (petrol): Car -15k weekly = 780k
Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly
Total for petrol : 2.86m
Feeding : 1.825m at 5k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m
Village People problems : 1m

Total is 8.68m...

My conclusion. You cannot earn 500k and claim middle class anymore. You can't even save and this is for a single person.
You can cut your coat according to your size but you definitely can't claim middle class anymore

268 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Exmilitant(m): 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2023
Thank God i left the middle class. cool

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Raskimonojendor: 10:06am On Jul 16, 2023
Mostly bank workers and telecoms workers.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
Eroded

Cleared, Exterminated

Nonexistent

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by meum: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
No middle class.

In Nigeria what we have are
1. High class
2. Low class &
3. No class/classless (the poorest of the poor).

226 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by GeneralPula: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
People that are at the middle of the ecosystem..

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by sylve11: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
You can't call a person earning 500k as a middle class.

The cost of living is very expensive these days. especially when you have mouths to cater for.

Except you produce some of the foods you eat and still earn 500k, that's when you can call yourself a middle class.

Times are hard and if you're not favored, you will keep asking yourself what's the essence of living. cool

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by AbuTwins: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
I don't even know my class yet!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by emoboy4u: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
I'm currently classless. God epp me
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by sojisenai(m): 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
Op, this question get as e take be...because there are still like 5 classes under this middle class. If you are still paying rent...you day middle class, but you can't compare person way day pay rent for Agege with person way day pay rent for Ikeja...I no talk Lekki oo.

Meanwhile, We are a caregiving company dedicated to providing the highest quality care for our elderly clients or those that are ill, disabled and nursing mothers, right in their homes...kindly check my signature.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Mustack: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
What about pos agent earnings 500k and above?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by blazesam(m): 10:07am On Jul 16, 2023
Bro, this analysis just make me feel say I never try be that oo. Wait so we that are earning 30k are which class bro? How about those who are not earning a dime?

Wait does it mean, the rest of us are just suffering?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by DesChyko: 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
OP, do you mean 500,000 per year as the lower boundary? Like 40k per month for a family qualifies as middle class?

That's quite hilarious grin grin

I think it should be specified by locality. 40k per year may get a family by in a rural area; but then, people who actually live in rural areas are mostly not well to do.

34 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by OperationalVehi: 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
Most of the figures that would be quoted on this thread will make you feel uncomfortable.
You won't believe people earn that much in Nigeria.

I currently earn 32k and I still dey owe sef.
How do I achieve anything worthy of mention.
Its a miracle surviving in Nigeria.
I pray things get better for me soon

cry cry

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Curious345: 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
80% of Nigerian middle class is populated by the Fulani + Hausa
12% of the middle class is also populated by their slaves (Yoruba ronu)

8% of the middle class is populated by the citizens with a merit badge ,who worked ,studied to earn that middle class status .

The middle class comprises individuals with moderate to comfortable income and social status, typically having access to education, homeownership, and some discretionary spending.

The upper middle class and upper class status of Nigeria is 90% populated by the Igbos . They are cumulatively richer that the other 333tribes combined .

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
dis ur own is definition 4 middle-high class, in Nigeria we now have middle-middle & middle-low class b4 we now acknowledge low & upper class.

Send me small thing mek I finish work here 4 u.
cool

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by udemzyudex(m): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
We don't have Middle class in Nigeria again,we have the Rich,the poor and the vulnerable.

39 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Omagi: 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
grin somehow funny
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by AlabiKILLER2021(m): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2023
Tinubu

Is a pilfer

tongue

6 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by PotatoSalad(m): 10:09am On Jul 16, 2023
Tinubu will singlehandedly kill middle class in Nigeria like he did in Lagos. In a few years, you're either rich or poor.
With the middle class gone, and nobody to meet requirements for getting student loan, low income earners will have no other option than withdraw their children from school. Then the government can now have an upper hand in controlling them and having them do their biddings a.k.a turn them into touts.
Impoverish them and give them 8k palliatives and they'll move mountains for you.

Sometimes I wonder if this is all a simulation, cos it feels preplanned.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by jogsman01(m): 10:09am On Jul 16, 2023
Wahala for Tinubu grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Image123(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2023
Very lean, let the poor breathe. undecided Person wey dem say make e repeat lower class twice before joining real middle class nko? How much should we pay to join middle class bros?
God epp us all.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by skywalker240(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2023
None

Buhari made it seems so

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Treasure17(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2023
Nothing like middle class anymore. It's either you are rich or poor.

9 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Senioradvocate(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2023
cheesy

So which class I come dey?
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2023
People earning 200k monthly. With a maximum of 3 children to feed.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Prigozhin: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2023
No more middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2023
PotatoSalad:
Tinubu will singlehandedly kill middle class in Nigeria. In a few years, you're either rich or poor.
something he has done tey-tey!

7 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Agbadocassava: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2023
jogsman01:
Wahala for Tinubu grin
Wahala for you
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by RECTEM: 10:12am On Jul 16, 2023
G

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pressure From Families After NYSC: Share Your Experiences, Especially Women / Black Woman Discriminating Against Light Skinned Women / Elderly Man Heaps Praises On His Wife As She Arrives From Work (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.