Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? (24070 Views)

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? / Why POOR Families Might Be Better Than Middle Class / How To Identify A Middle Class Nigerian : Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by emmaodet: 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2023
Sirseedorf:
I don't think there is any middle class in Nigeria, it's either you are rich or poor.
If you can afford thrice meal a day and have extra money to spend every day on what you want, then you're rich, but if you can't afford thrice meal per-day and still don't have extra money to hold body, or you always complain about the government,then you're poor. No middle class it is either poor or rich in Nigeria.

Peace....

There are a sizeable middle class in Nigeria.

Any household earning $1,000 equivalent in Nigeria is in the middle class. Middle middle class.
Aside the 3 big cities in Nigeria - Lagos, PH, Abuja, any household of 500k per month is middle class on other towns and cities.
My area as an example, average decent 3 bedroom goes for 300-400k.
Average good primary school is 50k per term upward, land is 1.5m upward.
So a household of 6m per year should be able to manage their life very well.
To the best of my knowledge, the bulk of Nigeria's middle class are in the informal sector and not formal.
The percentage of salary earners earning 500k and above won't be more than 100k people max cutting across all sectors - oil and gas, maritime, aviation, IT, telecommunications, banking etc

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by MrBroke(m): 1:43pm On Jul 16, 2023
Allisgud:
abi na,I know who poor pass me grin

grin who
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by franchasofficia: 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
meum:
No middle class.

In Nigeria what we have are
1. High class
2. Low class &
3. No class/classless (the poorest of the poor).
1.) Wealthy class; 100million and above annual income

2.) Rich class; 10million to 99million annual income

3.) Average class; 4million to 9million annual income

4.) The struggling class; 1million to 3.9million annual income

5.) Poor class; 100k to 900k annual income

6.) The very poor and downtrodden class; anyone earning 100k thousand below in a year cry

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Invitationn: 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
Allisgud:
U said from 500k to 10m per year,so that means a 60k monthly earner equal to 720k per year does that put him in a middle class
I agree with the guy that said 5m/per annum.
Even when the inflation wasn’t this bad- when I earned 1.2m net per annum, I was miserable.
I could barely save anything and couldn’t afford to buy what I wanted.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Blazebond(m): 2:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
Looks,na yahoo boys and girls.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Asswipemod: 2:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

30k per month is 360k annually. You belong to the poverty stricken category. You should apply for Tinubu’s monthly 8k. No offense, please.

Eniyan buruku ni e. See how you just told the chap that he is poverty stricken without restrain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Dyfynezz12(m): 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
Allisgud:
U said from 500k to 10m per year,so that means a 60k monthly earner equal to 720k per year does that put him in a middle class
No we have (i):mid-lower class,(ii):mid-middle class and (iii):mid-higher class.
For me a family with a combined 300k monthly salary belong to (i)
Family with a combined monthly salary of 700k belongs to(ii)
Family earning 1m a month belongs to (iii)
But still ur location determines the class u will fall in

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by SenatePresdo(m): 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.

How can someone earning 41k per Month (500k per annum) be considered middle class? That's absurd.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by meum: 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
franchasofficia:
1.) Wealthy class; 100million and above annual income

2.) Rich class; 10million to 99million annual income

3.) Average class; 4million to 9million annual income

4.) The struggling class; 1million to 3.9million annual income

5.) Poor class; 100k to 900k annual income

6.) The very poor and downtrodden class; anyone earning 100k thousand below in a year cry

This your statistics na wa!

Some babes wey go tell you say 5k no reach dem for lunch earn 600k or less annually @ 50k or less monthly. Shey na poor class dem Dey? No let dem catch you ooo😂😂😂
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by cococandy(f): 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
What type of conversion rate is this?

Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Wilson500: 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
Curious345:
80% of Nigerian middle class is populated by the Fulani + Hausa
12% of the middle class is also populated by their slaves (Yoruba ronu)

8% of the middle class is populated by the citizens with a merit badge ,who worked ,studied to earn that middle class status .

The middle class comprises individuals with moderate to comfortable income and social status, typically having access to education, homeownership, and some discretionary spending.

The upper middle class and upper class status of Nigeria is 90% populated by the Igbos . They are cumulatively richer that the other 333tribes combined .

See this one
Igbos are just the loudest noisemakers on social media
90% my foot
Abeg shift grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by ibechris(m): 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2023
seunmsg:

30k per month is 360k annually. You belong to the poverty stricken category. You should apply for Tinubu’s monthly 8k. No offense, please.

Guy,easy oh.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by karkinase(m): 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2023
udemzyudex:
We don't have Middle class in Nigeria again,we have the Rich,the poor and the vulnerable.
Absolutely right
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by lawani: 2:49pm On Jul 16, 2023
sylve11:
You can't call a person earning 500k as a middle class.

The cost of living is very expensive these days. especially when you have mouths to cater for.

Except you produce some of the foods you eat and still earn 500k, that's when you can call yourself a middle class.

Times are hard and if you're not favored, you will keep asking yourself what's the essence of living. cool

So if you are staying in Ilorin, Enugu, Ilesa, Owerri or Ibadan and earning that, you are a poor person? Is a Prof or medical doctor poor?
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by lawani: 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
emmaodet:

Any household earning $1,000 equivalent in Nigeria is in the middle class. Middle middle class.
Aside the 3 big cities in Nigeria - Lagos, PH, Abuja, any household of 500k per month is middle class on other towns and cities.
To the best of my knowledge, the bulk of Nigeria's middle class are in the informal sector and not formal.
The percentage of salary earners earning 500k and above won't be more than 100k people max cutting across all sectors - oil and gas, maritime, aviation, IT, telecommunications, banking etc
Intelligent submission but salary earners earning 500k per month are higher in number than that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Trustmea: 2:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
Mostly bank workers and telecoms workers.
Bank workers? lipsrsealed
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Trustmea: 3:01pm On Jul 16, 2023
There is still subclasses inside this middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
PotatoSalad:
Tinubu will singlehandedly kill middle class in Nigeria like he did in Lagos. In a few years, you're either rich or poor.
With the middle class gone, and nobody to meet requirements for getting student loan, low income earners will have no other option than withdraw their children from school. Then the government can now have an upper hand in controlling them and having them do their biddings a.k.a turn them into touts.
Impoverish them and give them 8k palliatives and they'll move mountains for you.

Sometimes I wonder if this is all a simulation, cos it feels preplanned.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Wainey: 3:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
mfm04622:

So you think someone earning 10M per annum can afford to live in Banana Island? Lol!!!

When rents can be more than 10M per annum?
rent in banana island is 20m above.
Two months salary can cover that, so yes you can live in BI with N10m
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by obaidan: 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2023
How can u say 500k per annum is middle class...with the news coming out of naija today in relation to cost of goods and services, if ur family no dey earn 5m per year net income, e go dey difficult for u to lay claim to being a middle class..infact 5m family income is closer to the lower middle class than the upper middle class...because by the time u pay rent in a decent space, pay tuition in a proper school for 2 kids, buy fuel for ur car and generator, u no go fit even do birthday PARTY for ur kids, not to talk taking them on vacation...
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 16, 2023
Wainey:
you can't also call someone earning N10m to be middle class, OP no know wetin him deh yarn.
Middle class should be from N500k (lower middle class)
N1m mid middle class and
N2.5m- higher middle class.

Poverty have totally messed you Up.

Naira has no VALUE anymore.

OP is right on middle class earning 10M per annum but he is wrong with the 500k part.

No middle class should earn less than 5M per annum in today's Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by obaidan: 3:21pm On Jul 16, 2023
Trustmea:
There is still subclasses inside this middle class
True..about 5 subclasses inside middle class..those that can feed and pay rent, those that ca do birthday party for their kids, those that can go on vacation, those that can send their kids to low tuition countries, those that can send their kids to high tuition countries...many more classes sef
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 16, 2023
Basicend:

Rubbish.

#500,000 per annum in Nigeria of today is very poor.

Even 3m per annum is going to be in the poor category.

May be from #5m / annum - 10m / annum can be considered as middle class.

Correct.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by emmaodet: 3:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
lawani:
Intelligent submission but salary earners earning 500k per month are higher in number than that

Probably but just don't want to throw a higher figure around.
I expect salary earners above 500k per month to be above 100k people but I will just use the 100k as a safe figure

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
bravehost4u:

Your statistic may justify a particular location but cannot serve as a yardstick to classify one as a middle class.
My Location:
Rent : 360k (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 60k (Prepaid meter@5k monthly)
Petrol/Diesel (car, business home) :
Break down (petrol): Car -15k weekly = 780k
Home - 10k weekly = 520k Install 2.5kva inverter with 450k to last for 3 years i.e 150k per year
Businesses - 30k weekly I don't understand this. Fuel for business is an overhead cost and should vary positively with Profit , this does not fit for a salary earner
Total for petrol : 2.86m 930k
Feeding : 1.08m at 3k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m for a single person this is high. 50k monthly is okay. i.e 600k per annum
Village People problems : 1m No go dey do pass your self; 300k is fine

Total is 3.33m...
500k monthly salary for 1 year is 6m.
you will have excess of 2m at the end of the year to invest in other sources of income.

Cut your clothes according to your SIZEgrin

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by bravehost4u(m): 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
emmaodet:

This platform has loads of intelligent people. Nice justification

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2023
CLASSMAN:
A lot of middle class are leaving the country in droves already.

This made me Laugh so Hardgrin
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Princewill1(m): 3:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
Lagos & Abuja middle class starts from 750k per month.

Other Nigerian cities middle class starts from 500k months as at 16th, July 2023.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by HRMK: 3:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
THERE IS NO MIDDLE CLASS IN NIGERIA!ITS STRICTLY THE RICH AND THE POOR!!
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

I used to earn 48k and today,I earn times 64 of it per month.

U can if only u can take premium risks

Ibechris abeg rest small.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by selfdefence: 3:42pm On Jul 16, 2023
Apparently over 70% of Nigerians are in the low class, this is pathetic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child / A Guest That Doesn't Want To Leave / Lost But Found Stolen Girl In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.