Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? (24063 Views)

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? / Why POOR Families Might Be Better Than Middle Class / How To Identify A Middle Class Nigerian : Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by uncleinans(m): 10:50am On Jul 16, 2023
The truth is, if you're not dinning with their Saraki, Dino,Otedola, Dangote which you can be classified as "the bourgeois" then you are dinning with the rest known as proletariat.

Nothing like middle class in Nigeria. I have seen people who earn a lot still complain, they can only take care of their immediate needs.

Nigeria is classless sef.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Allisgud: 10:50am On Jul 16, 2023
Am still looking for my class.stroll up and down,down to up again
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by airsaylongcome: 10:50am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Rent : 1.5m (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 300k
Petrol/Diesel (car, business home) :
Break down (petrol): Car -15k weekly = 780k
Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly
Total for petrol : 2.86m
Feeding : 1.825m at 5k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m
Village People problems : 1m

Total is 8.68m...

My conclusion. You cannot earn 500k and claim middle class anymore. You can't even save and this is for a single person.
You can cut your coat according to your size but you definitely can't claim middle class anymore

Don’t mind these not-so-subtle “Tinubunomics” Information managers trying to justify the less than ₦500k threshold as family income for eligibility for student "loan"
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Blitzking: 10:51am On Jul 16, 2023
We only have rich, about to be poor and poor.
Rich...standard of living no reduce their networth just drop

About to be poor...those one wey before their living na calculation..tinubunomics don shake dem them just dey live on the edge..na them they begin charge for giving ppl lift cos fuel cost...na them dey increase their trekking distance to reduce tfare...na them dey Park car for house or even sell am since times are hard.

Poor..where most ppl dey now..no income na to dey look for ppl wey go buy free drink...pursue small girls wey dey Street to turn dem to baby mama..smoke weed with the little money dem hustle/beg or thief to wipe away frustration..playing draft for years no self improvement with their usual group.some go grow old for their papa/mama house.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Ferdinandu(m): 10:52am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.
Kai which one be 500k per year middle class. Even in the cheapest cities in Nigeria 42,000 per month can't fall in middle class.Falling in middle class depends on the city you are living. The bottom line of middle class in Nigeria should be Maybe 1.2m in the cheapest cities to at least 3 million per year in places like Abuja. Truthfully speaking middle class is an endangered specie in this country, it is almost non existent, like my brother up there said we only have the top class, about to be poor and the poor

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Allisgud: 10:53am On Jul 16, 2023
What I know is that richman get level,poorman self get level grin grin grin
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Otuegbe: 10:53am On Jul 16, 2023
Yahoo boys are the middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by VTJN(m): 10:57am On Jul 16, 2023
Stormisova:
Nothing like middle class for this country.. If you're not a politician or Yahoo boy just know that you're poor. Infact you're very poor

I know lots of Yahoo boy that are also poor. They only gp about with their iPhone

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nice2023(m): 11:02am On Jul 16, 2023
Basicend:

Rubbish.

#500,000 in Nigeria of today is very poor.

Even 3m per annum is going to be in the poor category.

May be from #5m / annum - 10m / annum can be considered as middle class.

When u want to make contributions on matters like this publicly,learn netiquitte. U are still full of abuses.

I wonder if u are educated at all.

It is always easy to condemn people's opinions but u can't develop one topic of ur own.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Love800(m): 11:03am On Jul 16, 2023
What abt journalists and radio presenters, what class are they?

Anyone?
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nice2023(m): 11:11am On Jul 16, 2023
OperationalVehi:
Most of the figures that would be quoted on this thread will make you feel uncomfortable.
You won't believe people earn that much in Nigeria.

I currently earn 32k and I still dey owe sef.
How do I achieve anything worthy of mention.
Its a miracle surviving in Nigeria.
I pray things get better for me soon

cry cry

I used to earn 48k and today,I earn times 64 of it per month.

U can if only u can take premium risks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by mfm04622: 11:12am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.

Anything less than 5M cannot be middle class! Middle class also extends to 20M per annum. Maybe even 30M!

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by mfm04622: 11:15am On Jul 16, 2023
Wainey:
you can't also call someone earning N10m to be middle class, OP no know wetin him deh yarn.
Middle class should be from N500k (lower middle class)
N1m mid middle class and
N2.5m- higher middle class.

Anything that can make you live in banana island, u are not middle class

So you think someone earning 10M per annum can afford to live in Banana Island? Lol!!!

When rents can be more than 10M per annum?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by MuslimIgbo: 11:16am On Jul 16, 2023
Curious345:
80% of Nigerian middle class is populated by the Fulani + Hausa
12% of the middle class is also populated by their slaves (Yoruba ronu)

8% of the middle class is populated by the citizens with a merit badge ,who worked ,studied to earn that middle class status .

The middle class comprises individuals with moderate to comfortable income and social status, typically having access to education, homeownership, and some discretionary spending.

[b]
The upper middle class and upper class status of Nigeria is 90% populated by the Igbos . They are cumulatively richer that the other 333tribes combined .[b]
SO WHAT CLASS DO YOU PLACE THE FRUSTRATED PIGS THAT SIT AT HOME? grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by phemmyfour: 11:23am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
middle class no longer exist in Nigeria
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Cmeo(m): 11:24am On Jul 16, 2023
The real middle class in Nigeria are the japa's or school abroad syndicates.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Johel(m): 11:25am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

Those earning above 100k monthly.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by 18wheeler: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2023
The middle class in Nigeria has been depleted to the barest minimum, if you consider the number of workers able to afford decent living and still save. Most are burdened by debts they cannot pay and falling standard of living due to inflation, purchasing power depletion and income stagnation. So much for the imaginary middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nice2023(m): 11:29am On Jul 16, 2023
phemmyfour:
middle class no longer exist in Nigeria

I don't agree with u.

I am practically in the middle class.
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by phemmyfour: 11:30am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

I don't agree with u.

I am practically in the middle class.

grin
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Cowbell521: 11:31am On Jul 16, 2023
Less than 100 million naira in liquid cash is middle class

Less than $1m net worth is middle class

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Exmilitant(m): 11:32am On Jul 16, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

to where exactly?
upper or lower?
upper class or blue class. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by ken045501: 11:33am On Jul 16, 2023
There’s nothing like middle class again in todays nigeria . It’s either you rich or poor
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Rhozabeth(m): 11:37am On Jul 16, 2023
Middle class has long fizzled out in Nigeria. You are either poor or rich! More than 85% of homes earn less than 200k (all income) these days. So where the middle class wan come from?
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Liballo: 11:38am On Jul 16, 2023
I belong in the upper class. The wealthy!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by OperationalVehi: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

I used to earn 48k and today,I earn times 64 of it per month.

U can if only u can take premium risks

No matter the risk in Nigeria, it's not plausible to move from earning 32k to earning 332k within a short period of time...

I do believe so much in time and growth. I believe alot of possible. One just have to be quick thinking, creative and LUCKY

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Kukutenla: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
Mostly bank workers and telecoms workers.
What about civil servants
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Basicend: 11:41am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

When u want to make contributions to matters like this publicly,learn netiquitte. U are still full of abuses.

I wonder if u are educated at all.

It is always easy to condemn people's opinions but u can't develop one topic of ur own.

You said u wonder if I were educated. So where is ur "netiquitte" in your own judgemental write up.

Can an uneducated person (as u said) put up such a write up? You are an injured person, and a toxic clown.

Just stay ur lane. You want to sound like a sage, abi?
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Cti28(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2023
Fuckyoumod:
where are you from? Because you are definitely not a Nigerian.

In Nigeria there is no middle class.
We only have the rich and poor.

Leaving in Lagos port Harcourt or Abuja does not make one a middle class.
Living

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nice2023(m): 11:46am On Jul 16, 2023
Basicend:

You said u wonder if I were educated. So where is ur "netiquitte" in your own judgemental write up.

Can an uneducated person (as u said) put up such a write up? You are an injured person, and a toxic clown.

Just stay ur lane. You want to sound like a sage, abi?

Since 2020 u joined naira land u have no topic to boast of...not even a three line topic,but u could have the guts to condem those who have kept this platform going.

Shame on u.

Enemy of progress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by KingLion007(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2023
blazesam:
Bro, this analysis just make me feel say I never try be that oo. Wait so we that are earning 30k are which class bro? How about those who are not earning a dime?

Wait does it mean, the rest of us are just suffering?
Una dey classless bruh.. 30k na wetin some boiz dey use eat ishiewu... Buh not too worry u get hope just bliv and save to start up biz
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:55am On Jul 16, 2023
Exmilitant:
Thank God i left the middle class. cool
.....and entered low-income class I guess??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Guest That Doesn't Want To Leave / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child / Lost But Found Stolen Girl In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.