Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,646 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? (24065 Views)

Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? / Why POOR Families Might Be Better Than Middle Class / How To Identify A Middle Class Nigerian : Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Unperturbedpota: 10:12am On Jul 16, 2023
Fiction. Middle class doesn't exist anymore in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by lanre4411(m): 10:13am On Jul 16, 2023
Treasure17:
Nothing like middle class anymore. It's either you are rich or poor.
I agree with you 100 percent It’s either you are rich Or you are poor In Nigeria of today God help us

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:13am On Jul 16, 2023
Exmilitant:
Thank God i left the middle class. cool
to where exactly?
upper or lower?

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by visaclick: 10:15am On Jul 16, 2023
As e be like this am gradually leaving the middle to another class wey i no understand again oh. The bills are choking and income not correlating.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Menclothing: 10:15am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Rent : 1.5m (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 300k
Petrol/Diesel (car, business home) :
Break down (petrol): Car -15k weekly = 780k
Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly
Total for petrol : 2.86m
Feeding : 1.825m at 5k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m
Village People problems : 1m

Total is 8.68m...

My conclusion. You cannot earn 500k and claim middle class anymore. You can't even save and this is for a single person.
You can cut your coat according to your size but you definitely can't claim middle class anymore

True ooooo
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by jogsman01(m): 10:16am On Jul 16, 2023
Agbadocassava:
Wahala for you
werey grin abi wahala for all of us
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Stormisova(m): 10:17am On Jul 16, 2023
Nothing like middle class for this country.. If you're not a politician or Yahoo boy just know that you're poor. Infact you're very poor

Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by chatinent: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2023
Let be poor breathsjdldjsbdndn
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by brain54(m): 10:17am On Jul 16, 2023
Someone earning 500k annually…

To me that’s not middle class.

Maybe we should break the classification further down.

The gap between the classes in Nigeria is wide!

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by OperationalVehi: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2023
visaclick:
As e be like this am gradually leaving the middle to another class wey i no understand again oh. The bills are choking and income not correlating.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Agbadocassava: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2023
jogsman01:
werey grin abi wahala for all of us

For all of una
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Sirseedorf(m): 10:18am On Jul 16, 2023
I don't think there is any middle class in Nigeria, it's either you are rich or poor.
If you can afford thrice meal a day and have extra money to spend every day on what you want, then you're rich, but if you can't afford thrice meal per-day and still don't have extra money to hold body, or you always complain about the government,then you're poor. No middle class it is either poor or rich in Nigeria.

Peace....

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 16, 2023
The Ronu's
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Proudlyomonna: 10:23am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly

Total is 8.68m...

My conclusion. You cannot earn 500k and claim middle class anymore. You can't even save and this is for a single person.
You can cut your coat according to your size but you definitely can't claim middle class anymore

Loll no be everybody send village people with their wahala oo grin

If 1m income no dey enter per month and You dey claim middle class,You dey play be dat.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Proudlyomonna: 10:29am On Jul 16, 2023
Stormisova:
Nothing like middle class for this country.. If you're not a politician or Yahoo boy just know that you're poor. Infact you're very poor

Very very not so true.

For inside this Country people still dey get am clear on a daily basis on legit.

Na those ones wey dey wait on month end salary wey no reach anything I dey pity,how them dey take manage sef grin

One se Him dey collect 300k for 9mobile.
Oya how much be transport,hmm go come 2k per day,He never chop oo grin
Him get 1 boy with heavily pregnant wife oo cheesy
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by brain54(m): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
The real middle class in Nigeria are individuals and families who have a moderate income level, typically earning between N500,000 to N10,000,000 ($1,200 to $24,000) per year. They often hold white-collar jobs in sectors such as banking, finance, education, healthcare, and technology. The middle class in Nigeria is characterized by their ability to afford a decent standard of living, including owning their own homes, sending their children to good schools, having access to healthcare services, and possessing some discretionary income for leisure activities and savings. They typically reside in urban areas, particularly in the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. The middle class in Nigeria is considered the backbone of the economy and plays a vital role in consumer spending and economic growth.
Someone earning 500k yearly…

Is definitely not middle class.

Some earning 1million annually is still not middle class as it comes to around 83k monthly…less than 100k.

Anyone with that salary range is still struggling to survive in Nigeria!

5 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Fuckyoumod: 10:31am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:
where are you from? Because you are definitely not a Nigerian.

In Nigeria there is no middle class.
We only have the rich and poor.

Living in Lagos port Harcourt or Abuja does not make one a middle class.

8 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Wainey: 10:31am On Jul 16, 2023
sylve11:
You can't call a person earning 500k as a middle class.

The cost of living is very expensive these days. especially when you have mouths to cater for.

Except you produce some of the foods you eat and still earn 500k, that's when you can call yourself a middle class.

Times are hard and if you're not favored, you will keep asking yourself what's the essence of living. cool
you can't also call someone earning N10m to be middle class, OP no know wetin him deh yarn.
Middle class should be from N500k (lower middle class)
N1m mid middle class and
N2.5m- higher middle class.

Anything that can make you live in banana island, u are not middle class

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by loluagunloye09: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly

Total is 8.68m...

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Basicend: 10:38am On Jul 16, 2023
Nice2023:

Rubbish.

#500,000 per annum in Nigeria of today is very poor.

Even 3m per annum is going to be in the poor category.

May be from #5m / annum - 10m / annum can be considered as middle class.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by bravehost4u(m): 10:38am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly

Total is 8.68m...

Your statistic may justify a particular location but cannot serve as a yardstick to classify one as a middle class.
My Location:
Rent : 360k (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 60k (Prepaid meter@5k monthly)
Home - 10k weekly = 520k Install 2.5kva inverter with 450k to last for 3 years i.e 150k per year
Businesses - 30k weekly I don't understand this. Fuel for business is an overhead cost and should vary positively with Profit , this does not fit for a salary earner
Total for petrol : 2.86m 930k
Feeding : 1.08m at 3k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m for a single person this is high. 50k monthly is okay. i.e 600k per annum
Village People problems : 1m No go dey do pass your self; 300k is fine

Total is 3.33m...
500k monthly salary for 1 year is 6m.
you will have excess of 2m at the end of the year to invest in other sources of income.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by correctguy101(m): 10:41am On Jul 16, 2023
emoboy4u:
I'm currently classless. God epp me

My brother, me and you na classmates ni o cheesy angry

Even sold my car off last year.... SMH

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by CSTRR: 10:41am On Jul 16, 2023
If you are not earning 150,000 a month as a bachelor or spinster, then you are not middle class.

Once you get married, 150k is no longer enough to be middle class.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by CLASSMAN: 10:41am On Jul 16, 2023
A lot of middle class are leaving the country in droves already

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Allisgud: 10:41am On Jul 16, 2023
U said from 500k to 10m per year,so that means a 60k monthly earner equal to 720k per year does that put him in a middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by samsard(m): 10:42am On Jul 16, 2023
Draslo:

Home - 10k weekly = 520k
Businesses - 30k weekly

Total is 8.68m...

LMAO. What you enlisted is UPPER MIDDLE CLASS kind of spending, not just middle class. Yes, there's such a thing as a lower middle class. My neighbourhood is pretty much middle class & you can get a decent two bedroom for under a million.
You can't include business fuel expense under personal or home expense. It doesn't work that way.
However, 500k per annum is not middle class like the OP stated.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by Allisgud: 10:42am On Jul 16, 2023
U said from 500k to 10m per year,so that means a 60k monthly earner equal to 720k per year does that put him in a middle class
Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by mekleelex200(m): 10:43am On Jul 16, 2023
Sunday don come with boring topic. Middle class is a person or family that can feed two times in this present economy.

I miss you NwaAmaikpe, anywhere you are I miss ur philosophy. I wish to get you via email or LinkedIn, as you grow up u will understand that NwaAmaikpe especially in this society.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by bravehost4u(m): 10:44am On Jul 16, 2023
bravehost4u:

Your statistic may justify a particular location but cannot serve as a yardstick to classify one as a middle class.
My Location:
Rent : 360k (2 bed flat in a Middle class area)
Power : 60k (Prepaid meter@5k monthly)
Home - 10k weekly = 520k Install 2.5kva inverter with 450k to last for 3 years i.e 150k per year
Businesses - 30k weekly I don't understand this. Fuel for business is an overhead cost and should vary positively with Profit , this does not fit for a salary earner
Total for petrol : 2.86m 930k
Feeding : 1.08m at 3k daily
Miscellaneous : 1.5m for a single person this is high. 50k monthly is okay. i.e 600k per annum
Village People problems : 1m No go dey do pass your self; 300k is fine

Total is 3.33m...
500k monthly salary for 1 year is 6m.
you will have excess of 2m at the end of the year to invest in other sources of income.

Its all about cost of living. some areas in Nigeria, good 2 bedroom apartment for rent is around 240k, and you live close to your place of work with constant electricity. close to markets with cheap food items.

Food for thought:
A man is not rich by how much he has but by how much of his expenses he can cut short

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by samsard(m): 10:45am On Jul 16, 2023
lanre4411:
I agree with you 100 percent It’s either you are rich Or you are poor In Nigeria of today God help us
Denying reality does not change facts. Even Americans are experiencing inflation but it doesn't eliminate their middle class. Things are harder for all but the richest, but some are still comfortable without being obscenely rich.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Real Middle Class In Nigeria? by samsard(m): 10:47am On Jul 16, 2023
Unperturbedpota:
Fiction. Middle class doesn't exist anymore in Nigeria
Inflation does not eliminate a middle class. If anything I know more middle class people now than when I was growing up. Things are expensive but there's a lot of middle class Nigerians.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Guest That Doesn't Want To Leave / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child / Lost But Found Stolen Girl In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.