Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries (38045 Views)

Tuition Cost In University Of Ibadan And Ilorin For 2024 Session. / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by pachigo001(m): 5:23pm On Jul 23, 2023
Nigeria just de hungry this werey to come back Abeg tinubu don’t listen to him grin grin
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by bdon12: 5:24pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

Taking to his Twitter page, Reno wrote;

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19
Using ghana as an example is stupid.We are not trying to be like Ghana.Ghana is not an oil producing country,bt we are.Ghana economy is comparable only to Lagos economy.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Lifestone(m): 5:25pm On Jul 23, 2023
Successdude:
Lol..... Why didn't he use the developed countries to measure the minimum wage ?

Using failure to support failure

This man is beginning to make it look like his stewpidity the previous days is only a child's play when compared to that of the subsequent days.
What of Ghana. Let say the truth, it's cheaper here

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by bdon12: 5:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

Very true.

In fact, the parents are ready to cough out millions for that same child to go for Master's abroad and forgo a juicy job offer in Nigeria.

Let such parents start coughing out the millions now in the Nigerian education system.

Those without rich parents but are brilliant enough, should explore scholarship opportunities that would be available for the brilliant but indigent.

Let the rest take up student loans like their colleagues do in the "saner climes".
Take up student loans frm where?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by tolue42(m): 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
marenkurz:
Germany is tuition free. Semester contribution in University of Cologne was recently increased to 320€. That covers transportation and cheap food at canteen.
If your income is low, you could also get exempted from the fee. Plus the federal government gave 270 euros last semester to help every students, including international students.
Reno should be lying to you guys.

Tax in Germany is 40-45% of your salary, will you allow Nigeria government to take away 45% of your salary per month so you can have cheap education?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by bdon12: 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

Did he not reference Ghana?

Is their minimum wage Australian or Canadian standard?
Is Nigeria ever supposed to be compared wit Ghana?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Willie2015: 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
toshie:
Despite the inflation, Nigeria remains the most affordable country to live in globally. However, the primary concern lies in the insufficient money circulation within the system. Instead of engaging in business transactions, people tend to opt for safer options like investing in foreign countries through Japa or simply keeping their money in the bank.

How do you engage in business transactions ...
when the environment is volatile...& uncertain...
From double taxation..from FG..SG...LG...
Touts ...Agbero etc
Incoherent and inconsistent regulations.....
to high cost of PMS... Diesel...and
Cost of doin bizness...
Go and read about the Zimbabwe farmers that came to Naija...
Most of them closed shop and return back to their country...
I doubt if you ever run a bizness....

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Mandate1: 5:30pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

is Ghana a rich country? Comparing Nigeria to Ghana is like comparing Lagos with Ekiti. They are not in anyway the same. Moreover, what facilities do Nigerian universities have to even warrant high bill? The average facility you'll see in a Nigerian public school is marker board and student chairs, nothing else.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by ziggy247: 5:30pm On Jul 23, 2023
God! pls...... let Reno pass thru wat an average Nigerian passed in the last 8 yrs for the remaining of his days.......

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by olawonder(m): 5:31pm On Jul 23, 2023
In Nigeria we pay the lowest for most services, including even tax.

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:31pm On Jul 23, 2023
greggng:

I am glad to hear from you ...here in Nigeria peoplebdie cos of malaria ...many cos of hunger ...we pay for everything...wr can't even get educational loan ...Every Nigerian works ce been educated if there is loan to go to school . ..I was told you start paying back when you got a job ...who doesn't like this ? Here you provide your own water , provide your electricity...no good roads but but you pay for road worthiness certificate . Aside thst you most fix your car cos of bad road ...you pay for security..In our joblessness we pay for everything...

Well, a lot of people in developed countries too pay back loans they get to go to school.

2.We provide our water and electricity because we do not want to pay the market price for water and electricity utilites...meaning that the companies do not have enough cash to pay for these things...and to pay for improvements in the supporting infrastructure for these things. So ironically we have to spend money to provide those things because...poverty.(And even then, in many parts of Nigeria people get water from the water supply, so let's not lie.).

3.A lot more people have survived malaria because malarial drugs are heavily subsidized here (mostly by NGO's, and people like Bill Gates...yes him). Try buying malaria drugs overseas...you will scream.

4.Again we provide our own security because the NPF gets one tenth of what the NYPD gets to police one city in the US...TO police one nation. And to raise that money, we would have to tax the 70% of poor Nigerians who do not pay taxes to state or FG....yet we can't do that because poverty.

5.We have bad roads because, again, tax, and also because we stopped paying tolls in 2002...great idea...not. Overseas, tolls are what keep roads well fixed.

6. And abroad, they probably spend more to fix cars....because your car has to pass strict roadworthiness...more than Naija own.

Am sure you would call me a government supporter, and I assure you I am not...but we don't have good things because we do not pay enough into the system. And yes, before you start...corruption is a bad problem, and it makes our bad situation worse. Plus oyel is not enough for a country our size....it would be if we are ten million , not the 220 million we are.

Do I like saying the above? No, but it is what it is.

4 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:33pm On Jul 23, 2023
tolue42:

Tax in Germany is 40-45% of your salary, will you allow Nigeria government to take away 45% of your salary per month so you can have cheap education..

Indeed, that's what I have been telling people.

I even think above a certain level of income, it goes up to 50%

I know someone who won't jakpa to any country because the tax rate overseas is high in his opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Willie2015: 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2023
olawonder:
In Nigeria we pay the lowest for most services, including even tax.

We pay the lowest tax...
But we do everything for ourselves...
We buy generator... we fuel the gen...
We pay for transformer ...we still buy wires to connect...
We dig borehole... we even repair roads...
shocked

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2023
Mandate1:
is Ghana a rich country? Comparing Nigeria to Ghana is like comparing Lagos with Ekiti. They are not in anyway the same. Moreover, what facilities do Nigerian universities have to even warrant high bill? The average facility you'll see in a Nigerian public school is marker board and student chairs, nothing else.

So how come Ghana is paying 25 times our school fees?

Oga, better accept some hard truths. (God knows, I wish we could pay N10000 as uni fees, but it won't fund universites adequately).

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by gammarays(m): 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2023
Alliswell248:

Noise maker .

I repeat nobody is stopping you from going. Chief complainer. You can as well destroy your passport if at all you have.
Empty barrel. You are inconsequential. We won't miss you. Just don't carry drugs.
Just don't carry drugs like your chief Drug pusher in Chief.
Make sure you guys increase tuition fees to millions of naira or you're a fool.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by benjaminlawson(m): 5:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
Macphenson:

All Federal univeristies do not have same fees. I was shocked when I read that the almighty UNILAG school fees was 16k in 2023. I told somebody that south west enjoys free education.

I attended Nnamdi Azikiwe University. I got admission in 2004 and my school fees was 23k by the time I was graduating in 2009 I paid almost 50k for achool fees.

I was evn telling somebody that If I had known UNILAG school fees is 16k that since 2012 I came to, Lagos, I would have enrolled for another degree.

Go and check how, much UNIZIK and other federal universities in the east are paying.

Believe me 100k is a reduction in what federal universities in east are paying..

That is legacy that our father, Baba Awolowo left behind, free education in south West, the likes of Baba Bola Ige, Adekunle Ajasi, Jakande and Onabanjo all continue from where Baba Awolowo stops, this writer also enjoy from the later. It all those fake leaders of today in south west who are using Baba Awo's name to win election, but failed to do the word that Baba of blessed memory did.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2023
Willie2015:
u

We pay the lowest tax...
But we do everything for ourselves...
We buy generator... we fuel the gen...
We pay for transformer ...we still buy wires to connect...
We dig borehole... we even repair roads...
shocked

Because we pay too low a tax and too low utility bills for the government and utility companies to do those things for us themselves.

But anytime it is suggested you pay cost reflective power or water bills...you will shout poverty...yet you waste money for borehole., and generator and fuel for the gen at a higher rate than you pay for power, even with estimated billing!

3 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Prenonjebose: 5:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Corruption has and will continue to be the bane of development in the country. It is the reason for the suspicion that greets every hike in fees or charges. Nigerian politicians are very wicked and greedy. Most of the money they claim to save or make from these policies eventually end up in private accounts.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by CaptainFM1: 5:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
toshie:

Another issue that needs to be addressed. Nigerians are wasters

The #1 waster is the government itself! How do we explain 120 cars convoy? Over 500 advisers to one person? Or the over-bloated parliamentarian salaries and emoluments?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by uniquetechng: 5:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

Ghana's minimum wage is a lot better that Nigeria's minimum wage which stands at $65.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by perfectionist(m): 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2023
Lop-sided facts. Indigenous students pay far less than international students in public Ghanaian universities.
And we cannot be considered to be international students in our own country.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2023
uniquetechng:
Ghana's minimum wage is a lot better that Nigeria's minimum wage which stands at $65.

Ghana's minimum wage is $40 per month.

Nigeria's minimum wage is $38 per month....just 2 dollars less.

Yet Ghana pays university fees that are 25 times higher than ours...not two dollars higher than ours.

And Ghana is just as broke as we are...plus petrol is N800 per liter there.

Better realize that their minimum wage is just 2 dollars better, not 25 times ours.

4 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Mandate1: 5:44pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

He gave you a West African reference for context and also gave you a "saner climes" reference, but you say you want more.

So go and dig up all the other West African countries yourself if you need more comparison to be convinced.
why dint Reno tell us the minimum wage in those developed countries he mentioned, and also the purchasing power of their lowest currency.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:45pm On Jul 23, 2023
perfectionist:
Lop-sided facts. Indigenous students pay far less than international students in public Ghanaian universities.

Just checked...it is true

But even then, they pay N96-141000 as fees per annum. More than most Nigerian universities.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Mandate1: 5:47pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

So how come Ghana is paying 25 times our school fees?

Oga, better accept some hard truths. (God knows, I wish we could pay N10000 as uni fees, but it won't fund universites adequately).
what do you have to say about education in Germany? Àbi na only bad reference we sabi? How many Nigerian homes earn above 150k per month sef to start with, that you want to increase tuition fee to 200k?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2023
Mandate1:
what do you have to say about education in Germany? Àbi na only bad reference we sabi? How many Nigerian homes earn above 150k per month sef to start with, that you want to increase tuition fee to 200k?

Germans pay 40-50% of their income in taxes for free education

You sure you want that in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2023
Na wa oo. I can't believe people think Reno has a valid argument comparing us to Ghana. Its like we have forgotten that Nigeria is blessed with natural resources including gold and what have you.

Embezzled known loots from the Abacha era till now has run into trillions of naira making Nigeria an impoverished third world. There's simply no excuse why we should not be on par with China or Dubai now. The point is we can do better and the complaints of the common man who exclusively bears the burden of mismanagement time and again is valid.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by inforesource: 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

Ghana has all those issues...and their fees are still 25 times higher than ours.

University costs money.
I knew that I would be quoted and I knew that it would be for Ghana, unfortunately Ghana size and resources are not the same as Nigeria. Leaders do not shift responsibilities. With all the increments imposed by our so call leaders, where are the results?

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Nteogwuija(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:
The rich should never be allowed to pay for education in Nigeria with money they spend on a sunday family outing to Mega Chicken or Kilimanjaro.

Imagine someone earning over N5m per month, paying N6million annual rent or has a N100m home property, but wants to pay N20k per session for university education of a child.

LoL, and u think such profile in Nigeria sends their kids to public universities?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by rajsuresh(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

Taking to his Twitter page, Reno wrote;

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19

He just compared the costs.....Could he kindly compare the Quality/Conditions too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by seguno2: 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:
OK.

We know things are cheap here.

Truth is we have become used to paying next to nothing for everything.

From house maids and other domestic servants, to fees we pay artisans doing plumbing or carpentary work etc.

We should improve the standard of our education, so that Nigerians who are ready to pay thousands of dollars abroad can come back to pay similar amount within the Nigerian education system.

The only thing I would plead for is that firstly, loans should be available for those who want a university education but cannot afford it. And I believe that has already been signed into law.

Secondly, their should be enough local scholarships to aid very brilliant students who cannot afford it. All the Nigerian entities should stop all foreign scholarships and focus on local scholarships within the soon to be costly tertiary education in Nigeria.

Enough of cheap but worthless education.

Enough of subsidizing education for Nigerians who want to go work abroad with colleagues who themselves are using their salary to repay loans they took to have an education.

We should stop subsidizing the work force of developed countries.

Enough of diaspora remittances too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Macphenson: 5:53pm On Jul 23, 2023
benjaminlawson:

That is legacy that our father, Baba Awolowo left behind, free education in south West, the likes of Baba Bola Ige, Adekunle Ajasi, Jakande and Onabanjo all continue from where Baba Awolowo stops, this writer also enjoy from the later. It all those fake leaders of today in south west who are using Baba Awo's name to win election, but failed to do the word that Baba of blessed memory did.

Awolowos legacy using oil money from other region, in the same country? una well done ooo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Halloween Costumes Of FUNAAB Microbiology Final Year Students (Photos) / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Ogun Students Waylay, Beat Teacher Who Stopped Them From Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.