Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,861 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries (38043 Views)

Tuition Cost In University Of Ibadan And Ilorin For 2024 Session. / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by GoodGovernance: 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

And our tax to gdp ratio is very low, our tax rate is low, and 70% of Nigerians do not pay taxes to federal and state government

And yet, you expect miracles with the tax rate we have? With an income that is 80% from oil.?

Okay.
Now we are getting to a common ground.

Govt at all levels should focus on improving our tax to Gdp ratio to atleast 15% as recommended by world bank,for a starter.

If other nations have achieved higher tax toGDP then Nigeria can!

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by deelobe: 8:03pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

Taking to his Twitter page, Reno wrote;

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19

You are just a nincompoop. Do Nigerian universities have the facilities and the enabling environment they have. You are there outside the country speaking through a mouth that is seriously verbally 'diahorread' spewing nonesense.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Alsenora: 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2023
Even private primary schools pay more than this.
Throwback:
As at 2010, session fees in Unilag for returning students was just N10k.

Yabatech that is even a Polytechnic was around N20K.

You can imagine how badly Unilag was underfunding itself, despite its students priding themselves as the richest in the public university system.

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by sharone21(f): 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2023
Hoping that as Nigerians pay these fees, they will allow students the right to choose the courses they want not enforcing one non-rekevant, non- Professional course on them.

Those who are into Medicine should not just on any small account be sent to Sciences when they can be allowed to retake their papers and graduate.... Then be a source of foreign currency to Nigeria later( which will happen naturally).

Weeding of students doing Nursing program should be stopped. As many that desires to do Nursing or any other Health course should be allowed to study.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Inosky(m): 8:09pm On Jul 23, 2023
I have no problem for increase in education fees but is Nigeria ripe for that? A country where we have over 20 million of out-of-school children with inflation skyrocketing everyday. Even those that went to school can't find jobs but go to the uneducated skill workers to learn informal jobs for survival. They should try to create jobs and increase civil servants salary to for them be able to pay their children's school fees, that's my own. Otherwise, more drop outs loading as schools start hiking fees with this harsh economy robbing every penny that enters our accounts.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Ihenzy(m): 8:09pm On Jul 23, 2023
marenkurz:
Germany is tuition free. Semester contribution in University of Cologne was recently increased to 320€. That covers transportation and cheap food at canteen.
If your income is low, you could also get exempted from the fee. Plus the federal government gave 270 euros last semester to help every students, including international students.
Reno should be lying to you guys.
They pay 42% tax. Do you pay 42% tax?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by sharone21(f): 8:16pm On Jul 23, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Now we are getting to a common ground.

Govt at all levels should focus on improving our tax to Gdp ratio to atleast 15% as recommended by world bank,for a starter.

If other nations have achieved higher tax toGDP then Nigeria can!

This cannot easily work as government has no concrete plans to provide jobs or to really create the enabling environment to attract investors and venture capitalists be it foreigners or Nigerians eg Nigerians in diaspora. This tax will work well for those in a 'regulated system' unlike what we have now with so many Self owned business and not many are really medium to large scale businesses.

We are already burdened with tax: VAT on items, Stamp duties for every money one deposits into one's account... If one deposits 3ce in one's account today, 3ce stamp duty levies will be deducted, withholding taxes( on fixed deposits, stocks, bonds, treasury bills) on interests earned, Letters of Administration, land tax, telecommunications companies levies on bank accounts etc .... For stocks, it can even be during the buying and selling stages...... The money government makes on this alone is mind blowing, one of the reasons they encourage everyone to get a bank account, even if it is a Wallet.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by emonkey(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2023
Ihenzy:

They pay 42% tax. Do you pay 42% tax?

Don't mind them o. Common 10% tax they refuse to pay and they will instead accuse government of stealing their money. If you refuse to pay your tax in those countries, you will go straight to prison. After becoming ex-convict your life done spoil be that. Nobody will employ you and no credit again for you. You will quickly become destitute.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Luu40: 8:26pm On Jul 23, 2023
Westernlove:

You made some points.

But Is It from the N18,000 minimum wage a lot of Poor people would pay N50,000 to N100,000 tution fees from??

The Truth is Nigeria can never Work. Disintegration is the best solution to the Contraption.

There is a lot of Re-Formation and Re-Orientation which need to be done on Human Capital. A lot of Nigerians are damaged In and Out.

If the Nation still exist in the next 100 Years, Same problems will still keep existing.

I understand the plurality of your argument.

Not all parents are to enrol their kids into private schools - definitely some can't afford it. But I am of the opinion that public-private partnership can go a long way in alleviating most school issues. If parents are made to pay N5,000 each term/per child in any primary or secondary school, most public school problems can be gradually resolved. Frankly 5k isn't too much. If its the only sacrifice parents can offer their children at the benefit of having a relatively quality education, I think its high time they make it.
Most public secondary schools in my town don't even have decent maths, English language and science teachers. Decent ones. Ones that can properly help your kid understand density, bonding, or even topics tropical rainforests.

The worst of all is the primary schools. You just gotta pity them. I don't want it to sound as if I'm exaggerating things. I know of one primary school teacher who claims he is one of the best in his school - this fella has to meet my friend to teach him singular and plural.

Let them pay the money and have their kids decently educated. My opinion.

Your second argument: I want us to continue existing as a nation. We can still grow and improve together. God knows I want to visit Brass, Bayelsa state someday just to experience the excessive rainfall of Nigeria's mangroves. I don't ever wanna need a visa for that.

2 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by tolexy007(m): 8:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
tolexy007:
Reno the self exile Man
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by emonkey(m): 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2023
Inosky:
I have no problem for increase in education fees but is Nigeria ripe for that? A country where we have over 20 million of out-of-school children with inflation skyrocketing everyday. Even those that went to school can't find jobs but go to the uneducated skill workers to learn informal jobs for survival. They should try to create jobs and increase civil servants salary to for them be able to pay their children's school fees, that's my own. Otherwise, more drop outs loading as schools start hiking fees with this harsh economy robbing every penny that enters our accounts.

There will be scholarships for eligible candidates. There will be loans for those that can't obtain scholarship. The system will improve the quality of university admissions and graduands. We will no more be producing graduates that cannot spell their own names. And before you go for university option, you will ask yourself if it is worth spending your money on or you should invest the money on a vocation instead.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by ManOfSon: 8:32pm On Jul 23, 2023
Can they get this hustler with a poor man's goatee to also do the average monthly income, number of hours of electricity per day, state of roads, social security spending, etc in each of these countries as well?

ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

Taking to his Twitter page, Reno wrote;

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by phorget(m): 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
GUNITGuy:

Yes If the system is properly regulated there won't be strike Doctors won't trample on nurses as is usually the case in naija and starts demanding for a higher pay gap just because they increase nurse salary...Let me tell you Nigerian elite class are one of the most wicked and selfish the world as ever known.... Until go out you won't understand they exploit the system to stupor and Still blame Government

Nah how much your government dey pay doctors?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by pendragonbladgo(m): 8:42pm On Jul 23, 2023
All Nigeria knows how to do is to give birth to children and expect free education....

They say abraod is better, yet my blood elder brother live there and tell us how expensive it is...
You earn and pay all in tax!

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by ChiefRocker(m): 8:48pm On Jul 23, 2023
The income per head in Nigeria is poor that's why
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Diddycsbsb: 8:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
I read comments I shade tears 😢

God Nigeria🇳🇬 is gone for ever

Tinubu increase fuel

Tinubu increase tuition fees

Tinubu increase the sufferings of Nigerians and some people are clapping👏 for him because he is there tribes man..

I want to educate yorubas don't forget tinubu will never be Nigerian President forever..

Let's be honest people are really suffering

Who ever is supporting this nonsense tinubu is doing... Him,His generation and posterity shall inherit hardship with premature death...
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by obi58: 8:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
JAMO84:
My posts aren't meant for Sewage rats and ipob miscreants. Keep off my mention you modafvka

You have just shown your level of education and who is the sewage rat between us two.

Online miscreant with nothing intellectual to offer.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Mandate1: 8:50pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

Then stop complaining about bad education then. And stop complaining about half baked graduates

It's what we can afford , since 'we are poor' in your opinion.

build a wordlclass tuition and increase the fees. Not the empty schools we av u wan increase fees on. Computer science dept without laptops to work on...
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by careidon: 8:53pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

Ghana's minimum wage is $40 per month.

Nigeria's minimum wage is $38 per month....just 2 dollars less.

Yet Ghana pays university fees that are 25 times higher than ours...not two dollars higher than ours.

And Ghana is just as broke as we are...plus petrol is N800 per liter there.

Better realize that their minimum wage is just 2 dollars better, not 25 times ours.

I think we are just taking Reno's data without crosschecking...
Ghana's average/mean salary and value should be the indices here not minimum wage .

Google - https://bdeex.com/ghana/
would show it's around $320 not $40

In all wages needs be improved and fees raised to sustain the educational system.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by emonkey(m): 8:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
Diddycsbsb:
I read comments I shade tears 😢

God Nigeria🇳🇬 is gone for ever

Tinubu increase fuel

Tinubu increase tuition fees

Tinubu increase the sufferings of Nigerians and some people are clapping👏 for him because he is there tribes man..

I want to educate yorubas don't forget tinubu will never be Nigerian President forever..

Let's be honest people are really suffering

Who ever is supporting this nonsense tinubu is doing... Him,His generation and posterity shall inherit hardship with premature death...
Amen for you and your family.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by emonkey(m): 8:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
careidon:

Ghana's average/mean salary and value should be the indices here not minimum wage .

would show it's around $320 not $65

In all wages needs be improved and fees raised to sustain the educational system.

And what is Nigeria's average/mean salary ?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by OmoNla99: 8:59pm On Jul 23, 2023
marenkurz:
Germany is tuition free. Semester contribution in University of Cologne was recently increased to 320€. That covers transportation and cheap food at canteen.
If your income is low, you could also get exempted from the fee. Plus the federal government gave 270 euros last semester to help every students, including international students.
Reno should be lying to you guys.

All what Nigerians want to hear is what Reno wrote. A New York resident attending any New York State university and his/her parents earns less than average pays no dime. This I am 100% sure of.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by AfonjaPriest: 9:04pm On Jul 23, 2023
His comparison is not well detailed. It's pure gibberish and surface surfing. If you were to do a thorough research, taking many factors into consideration, you would reach a good conclusion Reno had been smoking a rare form of dullness to jumpstart the slow pace of his brain when he decided to write this nonsense as usual.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Uchesis: 9:14pm On Jul 23, 2023
azikiweironsi:

They will never agree with you because they never moved out of their closet.
I paid through my nose in UK.
I paid for my energy where I used my television as my light in the room else you pay more for your electricity.
Payment for rent was weekly
You pay for everything.
You will never appreciate your country until you travel out.
Please don't get me wrong, our leaders should improve more on present situation but it's not too bad as it portrayed.
So why are Nigerians still queueing up in the Uk embassy looking for visa? Abi them no like to pay less in this country?
We deserve the kind of leaders we get
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by ChiefOkporghe: 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:
OK.

We know things are cheap here.

Truth is we have become used to paying next to nothing for everything.

From house maids and other domestic servants, to fees we pay artisans doing plumbing or carpentary work etc.

We should improve the standard of our education, so that Nigerians who are ready to pay thousands of dollars abroad can come back to pay similar amount within the Nigerian education system.

The only thing I would plead for is that firstly, loans should be available for those who want a university education but cannot afford it. And I believe that has already been signed into law.

Secondly, their should be enough local scholarships to aid very brilliant students who cannot afford it. All the Nigerian entities should stop all foreign scholarships and focus on local scholarships within the soon to be costly tertiary education in Nigeria.

Enough of cheap but worthless education.

Enough of subsidizing education for Nigerians who want to go work abroad with colleagues who themselves are using their salary to repay loans they took to have an education.

We should stop subsidizing the work force of developed countries.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
careidon:

would show it's around $320 not $40

So, we are moving the goalposts.

Nigeria's average wage is $340..using the same website.

And we pay less than Ghana in fees.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by NeckingNgulping(m): 9:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
Adakintroy:

You really want to go down this "we are good citizen route?. We do everything right its just this useless government setting us back..yes?.

You don't want to know how many citizen will go to jail in Nigeria if the country laws are enforce as regards tax and proper standards. How many company small medium are running without proper certification or license. Hence invade tax. In law active country you are tax unbelievable at all front and you dare not skip any. How many molue bus running do you think have papers, commercial taxi keke, bike e.t.c.. The rule is for you to generate at your individual level and the government tax.

But I dnt want to go into anything much. I don't think the government is the best but we are not the best of citizen either. A little gratitude with regards the little we get from them won't be out of place.

Government cut you slacks beyond what you know or understand. Subsidies exist far outside the confine of patrol. Its all almost at all level.

Forget about this long epistle of the taxes they're looting and talk about how they have been able to manage our natural resources since time immemorial..

And who told you those molues and keke, and bikes don't pay taxes?

The question is, how has government been able to utilize the funds in the best interest of the masses?

Stop defending criminals.. We don't trust the government when it comes to handling money.

When there's a strict penalty for public funds thieves like the death sentence, then I can take this country serious..
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:28pm On Jul 23, 2023
Mandate1:
build a wordlclass tuition and increase the fees. Not the empty schools we av u wan increase fees on. Computer science dept without laptops to work on...

With what money?

Oga, unless you are prepared to pay higher taxes, or unless we suddenly earn 100 times what we earn now in revenue, there is not enough money to build world class primary, secondary and universities...

Unless you want us to beg mama IMF for a loan, hey?

Our income from oil is not even enough for a nation of 20 million people...then there is a lot lost to corruption and stealing.

(I am not defending any useless government. Infact , my stating we do not have enough money is an indictment of government.).

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2023
Macphenson:

Awolowos legacy using oil money from other region, in the same country? una well done ooo.

Am not much of a fan of Awo, as his free educaiton was built on a tenous foundation...but he did not use any oil money for the SW when he was in charge.

Awo was in charge of the SW from 1957-62. Oil was discovered in 1956...and until 1967, about half went to the Federal government, and the other half went to the regions. Regions used their half of what they got from the raw materials they sold then to fund themselves.

Awo funded free education using cocoa revenues. Not oil. Oil did not even become a major earner for Nigeria until the 1970's.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 23, 2023
Uchesis:

So why are Nigerians still queueing up in the Uk embassy looking for visa? Abi them no like to pay less in this country?
We deserve the kind of leaders we get

Because they can send 100 pounds to their families at home, and it would translate into a lot of money.

Also, when they start earning salaries in the UK, they are not paying back loans like their UK colleagues, so they have more cash than their UK colleagues who studied over there.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Ganjafama(m): 9:40pm On Jul 23, 2023
I'm beginning to suspect that Reno is Helinues.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Ezedon(m): 9:42pm On Jul 23, 2023
What else would you expect from Reno mockery

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Halloween Costumes Of FUNAAB Microbiology Final Year Students (Photos) / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Ogun Students Waylay, Beat Teacher Who Stopped Them From Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.