Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries (38051 Views)

Tuition Cost In University Of Ibadan And Ilorin For 2024 Session. / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 6:26pm On Jul 23, 2023
Killermamba:

This fool still dey talk? Why not compare Nigeria universities to that of Germany that are totally free for everybody including Nigerians

Germans pay 40-50% of their income as tax to enjoy the free education.

Maybe you want Tinubu and the governors to do the same to all Nigerians, hey?

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Menclothing: 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
Bitter truth

Education is cheap in Nigeria, Housing is equally cheap in Nigeria, ask those living in the common Bennin Republic how much they pay monthly.
Health care is equally cheap, quality health care in Nigeria is scares but cheap when you get it compared with other Nations.

Nigerians lack the cohesion to change the dynamics of things, any day we see ourselves as one, the abnormality of governance and citizens will be normalized.

No politician can get it right in Nigeria until the mindset of its citizens is changed. We need a proper reorientation of the heart, and do away with tribalism, religious bigotry and a nepotic mindset. These three things are the major problem of the country

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Winning123: 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
Thank you for reply. Many people don't realize Nigeria is not a rich country but a country with the potential to be rich

Throwback:

Did he not reference Ghana?

Is their minimum wage Australian or Canadian standard?

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 6:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
Winning123:
Thank you for reply. Many people don't realize Nigeria is not a rich country but a country with the potential to be rich

And we can be rich, but it involves hard choices which we don't want to take

Instead we pretend oil money can sustain us all...lol. It can't.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Menclothing: 6:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
crackhouse:
Why do reno omokri keep behaving stupidly. The point here is how many people can afford such amount in Nigeria? A country where more than 70% of its citizens are poor..
U are comparing a useless naira to dollar
You are poor and can pay 100k for secondary school
Student In this Uni rent house minimum of 200k

You don’t hv business with university education anywhere in the world of you are too poor seek
For scholarship

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by GoodGovernance: 6:31pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

We can have free quality education when we pay the money for it.

We don't have the money? then we can still have free education, only it won't be quality.

And by the way, I believe that the National Assembly should reduce their budget by half.

Now you’re talking.
Not only NASS.There is a lot of leakages and corruption in the entire system that would require only a revolutionist to deal.

This is common sense:

Nigeria lacks enough doctors,engineers,teachers,etc

Are we going to get more or less of these professionals by increasing school fees?

We should careless about Ghana and tackle our challenges!

Ghana can never develop more than Nigeria via higher school fees,so the comparison is so stupid!

3 Likes

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Cromagnon: 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

How many British or US agencies or private organisations grant scholarships for their citizens to study in Nigeria?

That should tell you something
If USA not spending on it, you shouldn't either
Look at China sending all its best to USA to learn from them
You want to be spending on handout sellers and sec for marks teachers

We have Nigerian agencies with scholarships devoted to schools in the UK.

As for the loan, it is called a loan because you cannot afford to pay.

So you want the students in binary for loan they cannot repay.

So take the loan as done abroad for those who also cannot afford to pay, and begin payback when you have secured a job after graduating.
they cannot repay the loans abroad. We are waiting for another recession caused by these loans just like ppl took loans for houses they could not afford in 2008

Awoof dey run bele o

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by loswhite(m): 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
cheesy You can't appreciate Nigeria until you are privileged to have travelled far and wide around the world. It is mainly in Nigeria that house rent is paid yearly. In almost all of the countries I have travelled to. Rent is either monthly or weekly and quite expensive when you compare to Nigeria. Just making and example as to how the basic needs of life is very affordable here. Very, very affordable.
Rent was also paid monthly in Nigeria so we need to find out why those that benefited from it chose to scatter the table

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by HRMK: 6:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
ARE YOU SAYING NIGERIA IS CHEAPER?
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Now you’re talking.
Not only NASS.There is a lot of leakages and corruption in the entire system that would require only a revolutionist to deal.

This is common sense:

Are we going to get more or less of these professionals by increasing school fees?

Ghana can never develop more than Nigeria via higher school fees,so the comparison is so stupid!

Even if we fight corruption and cover the leakages, it still won't be enough.

We budgeted 1.1 trillion for education this year. For comparison, the 2009 ASUU-FG agreement made provision for 1.5 trillion to be paid over two years in extra funding for universites. Money which was never paid, and which government told ASUU in 2013 that it would not be paid...instead ASUU got 1 trillion over 5 years, which has not been paid in full to date.

Note the 1.1 trillion is not going to universites alone, it is going to primary , secondary and other tertiary institutions. Divide the money and there isn't much.

And that is before we talk about looting, stealing, and so forth

That's why we have to explore the fees option, because it is either that, or we pay heavy taxes, and tax everyone, or we go the loan route...ie we beg IMF for a loan (which they won't give, because we are loaned up, and DMO is on the government's case anyway).

That's why I am annoyed when you called me a government defender. This is not about defending any yeye government...this is about facing the truth that our universities are underfunded, and they don't have enough cash.

Yes, our forefathers went to unviersity for free...back when numbers were much smaller, and there were fewer universites, and not everyone went to uni, and people could still get office jobs with primary 6 education. Government could afford to fund all that...and yes there was corruption back then well well.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by quadraheem(m): 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
This is the reason why it is said that those who study medicine in Nigeria virtually have it free of charge or next to nothing and yet they do not stay to give back to the country that gave them the free education and still complain.
Nigeria shall be great again!
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by HRMK: 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2023
really?is that true?
40/50% tax?when our own Nigerians will evn dodge the 10% and ask that government should clear their drainages for them!

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by JAMO84: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2023
obi58:

I'm sure that you are one of those agbero drop outs who have been paid to make noise on this platform.

One of the millenium development goals by the UN is QUALITY AFFORDABLE EDUCATION. Other countries are working towards making their educational systems accessible to all. Nigeria on the other hand is focusing on making Public education exclusive to the few that have. They are not making any effort to significantly improve the educational facilities or infrastructure.

The government is talking about student loans in an economy where there are no jobs. How are graduates expected to repay these loans? Are we not just creating a further debt burden for the country?

How can our country improve economically when we are making education more exclusive What's going to happen to the drop outs? Won't it lead to an increase in crime rate?

People should learn to think before commenting please.
My posts aren't meant for Sewage rats and ipob miscreants. Keep off my mention you modafvka
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Westernlove: 7:05pm On Jul 23, 2023
Useless Idiot Renoo.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Morizo(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

Taking to his Twitter page, Reno wrote;

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19

Reno is spewing thrash as usual. Those figures are unfounded and every society aside Nigeria has stratas which government social net covers the poorest of the poor.

Reno should talk about cutting down the cost of governance and constitutional reforms that would decentralise economic power to all arms especially the grassroots. Reforms that will strengthen institutions and check corruption while penalizing offenders regardless of status or party affiliations.

In a Nigerian society that has suffered economic woes for decades that worsened exponentially in the last 8 years which has taken out their spending powers where did he expect them to get money to afford these high cost of basic amenities and education BAT regime is introducing?

I have always opined, that government exist for the majority of the least amongst us, the proletariat. They should be the benchmark. Government is not a profit making organisation but to better the well being of its citizens especially those at the foot of the ladder.

My opinion

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Westernlove: 7:15pm On Jul 23, 2023
Demayour:
Reno didn't mention that parents in those countries have multiple ways to raise the money either now or in the future.

Similarly, Reno and his minions are also not telling us about countries where education up to PhD level is free and yet, they have the best system in the world.

All of these assertions are half-truths. As an educator, I know that education is really expensive. But for a country that still a high number of uneducated citizens, couples with unemplyment even for PHD holders, tell me why education should look enticing to tue poor again.

If the poor and struggling don't find education enticing, tell me how human capital development of Nigeria can be raised. Tell me how Nigerians can be trained to become "normal" citizens like we have in most countries.

It is tricky with a sprinkle of foolishness for anyone to vehemently support the thieving political class now except you're benefiting from their largesse.

You need not stress yourselves.

Those guys literally don't care about their race. They all know what they are doing. It's just very unfortunate for the black race.

It's a Skin Deep Problem. Sigh.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by FullBlastLight: 7:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
JAMO84:
Most Nigerian Parents will complain of 100k in a year school fees, but when it's time for their children to get married, they will spend 2m on a one day wedding.

Most Nigerian students will enjoy cheap education, when they finally graduate and get a job outside Nigeria with the certificate, they will curse Nigeria on social media for contributing nothing to their development.

EVERYONE SHOULD PAY FOR THE REAL COST OF THEIR TERTIARY EDUCATION, ONLY BASIC EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE

I think u can think better than dis!

Marriage is once in a lifetime, sch fees is every session payable!
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Westernlove: 7:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
Luu40:
I am one of the administrators of a private Secondary school here in Kebbi state. Our students have been paying on average N54,000 per annum since 2018. Students of universities or colleges of education in our states pay an average of N20,000 to N25,000.

God knows the education they receive in those tertiary institution is too poor. They also graduate in huge numbers with nothing to offer, but put more pressure on the government to give them jobs that don't even exist. Truth is our number is very very large relative to our resources.

I am a proponent of an expensive education system where one has to pay a fortune to have their child educated, though I got schooled for almost free. I'm very sure the money FG paid me during NYSC is much more than what I spent for school fees and upkeep in my 3 years in the university.

I know many will argue that I am hoping to deny many people what I got for almost free. This is what I'd say to you: No public primary or secondary school is properly functioning in my state. Not a single one. We only pride ourselves in lies and deception of what doesn't exist.

You made some points.

But Is It from the N18,000 minimum wage a lot of Poor people would pay N50,000 to N100,000 tution fees from??

The Truth is Nigeria can never Work. Disintegration is the best solution to the Contraption.

There is a lot of Re-Formation and Re-Orientation which need to be done on Human Capital. A lot of Nigerians are damaged In and Out.

If the Nation still exist in the next 100 Years, Same problems will still keep existing.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by GoodGovernance: 7:22pm On Jul 23, 2023
nairalanda1:

Even if we fight corruption and cover the leakages, it still won't be enough.

We budgeted 1.1 trillion for education this year. For comparison, the 2009 ASUU-FG agreement made provision for 1.5 trillion to be paid over two years in extra funding for universites. Money which was never paid, and which government told ASUU in 2013 that it would not be paid...instead ASUU got 1 trillion over 5 years, which has not been paid in full to date.

Note the 1.1 trillion is not going to universites alone, it is going to primary , secondary and other tertiary institutions. Divide the money and there isn't much.

And that is before we talk about looting, stealing, and so forth

That's why we have to explore the fees option, because it is either that, or we pay heavy taxes, and tax everyone, or we go the loan route...ie we beg IMF for a loan (which they won't give, because we are loaned up, and DMO is on the government's case anyway).

That's why I am annoyed when you called me a government defender. This is not about defending any yeye government...this is about facing the truth that our universities are underfunded, and they don't have enough cash.

Yes, our forefathers went to unviersity for free...back when numbers were much smaller, and there were fewer universites, and not everyone went to uni, and people could still get office jobs with primary 6 education. Government could afford to fund all that...and yes there was corruption back then well well.

If fighting corruption and leakages not enough,it is school fees that will make it enough, abi?

The total amount realisable on school fees is not even up to N100b!

I repeat,school fees Is not an option for any developing country with high poverty an illiteracy rate.
Such a country can never catch up with the rest of the world.

The standard source for govt revenue all over the world,is taxes not school fees!

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by vannessa7(f): 7:24pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:
As at 2010, session fees in Unilag for returning students was just N10k.

Yabatech that is even a Polytechnic was around N20K.

You can imagine how badly Unilag was underfunding itself, despite its students priding themselves as the richest in the public university system.

We used to pay 150 naira as school fees when I was in unilag in late 90s, and many of my friends in school then used to collect up to a hundred thousand as feeding allowance for the semester, some not up to but still substantial amount with which we used to buy latest cloths in vogue and designer wears, we used to pay the school sround 200 hundred naira for bed space but the same bedspace would be sold from like 60k to 150k from student to another student depending on the hall, even I knew we were being unecessarily subsidized. Nigerians want development but are not read to face reality, awoof always run belle, corruption is enabled because there was no accountability even from the citizens but the same citizen will gladly pay for every service and facilities being enjoyed in other countries but kick when ask to do same in his own country, it's time we have a paradigm shift, a new orientation and if need be change how we live in order for this country to develop, there is nothing free anywhere, you always pay a price for cheap or free things and the price may not be palatable in the long run.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by nairalanda1(m): 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2023
GoodGovernance:

If fighting corruption and leakages not enough,it is school fees that will make it enough, abi?

The total amount realisable on school fees is not even up to N100b!

I repeat,school fees Is not an option for any developing country with high poverty an illiteracy rate.
Such a country can never catch up with the rest of the world.

The standard source for govt revenue all over the world,is taxes not school fees!

And our tax to gdp ratio is very low, our tax rate is low, and 70% of Nigerians do not pay taxes to federal and state government

And yet, you expect miracles with the tax rate we have? With an income that is 80% from oil.?

Okay.
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by david102(m): 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2023
The problem is not the increment of the fees but the increment of everything at once, from petrol to Utility bills to T.fares to food and so on. The government should have waited for like 6 months to increase the fee and not a 500% at once but increasing it little by little
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Naz34(m): 7:26pm On Jul 23, 2023
Successdude:
Lol..... Why didn't he use the developed countries to measure the minimum wage ?

Using failure to support failure

This man is beginning to make it look like his stewpidity the previous days is only a child's play when compared to that of the subsequent days.
you wey no stupid, u see ur life for NL. Typing ur ignorance with cheap network data. Continueee
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Hassanmaye(m): 7:27pm On Jul 23, 2023
[quote author=Varunpulyani post=124598555][/quote]
Hahahaha pls I nearly fait after seeing this picture
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Westernlove: 7:29pm On Jul 23, 2023
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Naz34(m): 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2023
ecolime:

Public universities these days are mostly attended by children of the poor.

The rich send their wards to Private universities or overseas.
dont fool yourself. I knew a couple of them in my school back then. Sincerely speaking!
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by NeckingNgulping(m): 7:31pm On Jul 23, 2023
Adakintroy:
Nigerian are being intorduce to reality one day at a time. When you say Nigeria is worst compare it to other nations.

You say government does nothing now government has left you to your fate with regards fuel. See the real cost how Manny can afford it. Learn to say thanks when you get something no matter how small. Nigerians are ingrates almost at every level.

You say government has left us to our fate regarding fuel?

Years back, we had our refineries fully functioning and petrol was cheap, now they're importing and selling at such an exorbitant price of 700 per litre while our refineries are in such a sorry state.

They were never making the best use of our resources and the taxes we pay, instead they looted them and borrowed to subsidize fuel.

Now, there is a humongous debt that needs to be paid owing to their reckless borrowing, not personal sacrifice and you're here calling well-meaning Nigerians ingrates when you're the one that is plain stupid.

It's only a fool that defends his oppressors..

Mind you, you can't compare Nigeria to other countries in terms of the natural resources with which they are blessed.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by barikay: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2023
Throwback:

He gave you a West African reference for context and also gave you a "saner climes" reference, but you say you want more.

So go and dig up all the other West African countries yourself if you need more comparison to be convinced.
let him compare this https://www.nairaland.com/7773976/intl-travels-airfares-hit-rooftop#124580123
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Slymontee: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:
Following the recent rise in cost of Tuition fees of Nigerian public universities, former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has compared Nigerian universities' cost of tuition with cost of tuition of other countries' universities, IGBERETV reports.

https://twitter.com/renoomokri/status/1682764711039844354?t=0IgblwoUFTp0ec_0Jp5VZA&s=19
So Nigeria has fallen so deeply that Renonsense now compares us with Ghana? How much is minimum wage in UK, US? He thinks he's smart. When he came to minimum wage he used Ghana. Olodo!
Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Westernlove: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Not only NASS.

There is a lot of leakages and corruption in the entire system that would require only a revolutionist to deal.

This is common sense:

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by Adakintroy: 7:49pm On Jul 23, 2023
NeckingNgulping:

You say government has left us to our fate regarding fuel?

Years back, we had our refineries fully functioning and petrol was cheap, now they're importing and selling at such an exorbitant price of 700 per litre while our refineries are in such a sorry state.

They were never making the best use of our resources and the taxes we pay, instead they looted them and borrowed to subsidize fuel.

Now, there is a humongous debt that needs to be paid owing to their reckless borrowing, not personal sacrifice and you're here calling well-meaning Nigerians ingrates when you're the one that is plain stupid.

It's only a fool that defends his oppressors..

Mind you, you can't compare Nigeria to other countries in terms of the natural resources with which they are blessed.

You really want to go down this "we are good citizen route?. We do everything right its just this useless government setting us back..yes?.

You don't want to know how many citizen will go to jail in Nigeria if the country laws are enforce as regards tax and proper standards. How many company small medium are running without proper certification or license. Hence invade tax. In law active country you are tax unbelievable at all front and you dare not skip any. How many molue bus running do you think have papers, commercial taxi keke, bike e.t.c.. The rule is for you to generate at your individual level and the government tax.

But I dnt want to go into anything much. I don't think the government is the best but we are not the best of citizen either. A little gratitude with regards the little we get from them won't be out of place.

Government cut you slacks beyond what you know or understand. Subsidies exist far outside the confine of patrol. Its all almost at all level.

1 Like

Re: Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries by brightDdon(m): 7:54pm On Jul 23, 2023
ebukajay184:

Mad man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Halloween Costumes Of FUNAAB Microbiology Final Year Students (Photos) / Top 15 Most Selected Courses By Students In JAMB UTME 2017 / Benue Poly Students Suffer Flood From Early Morning Downpour (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.