Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,468 members, 7,812,430 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts (17706 Views)

"You Have No Business Relocating Abroad If You’re 40 & Above" Abroad-based Lady / Please What Are The Chances Of A 40 Year Old Man Relocating Abroad? / If You are Doing Well In Nigeria, You Have No Business Relocating Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by alphabbey1(m): 9:58pm On Jul 26, 2023
Grace001:

It baffles me how some of you think that money is the only reason why some people want to relocate. Too many kids on Nairaland, not the best place for advice.

Money is the main reason OP wants to migrate and he was advised based on that, it baffles me how you read the whole post and think the advice given doesn't synchronize... did OP tell you security is his concern ?.....

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Grace001: 11:06pm On Jul 26, 2023
alphabbey1:

Money is the main reason OP wants to migrate and he was advised based on that, it baffles me how you read the whole post and think the advice given doesn't synchronize... did OP tell you security is his concern ?.....

I guess you didn’t read this part…

Reasoning:
The motivation behind this move is to provide my children with a better education and quality of life while also embracing new experiences. However, I am fully aware that this is not without risks, as it would involve utilizing my lifetime savings and making a fresh start in a foreign land.

Is quality life all about money ? With the current state of situation in Nigeria, money alone can’t give you quality life. Like I said too many kids on Nairaland, not the best place for advice.

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by davidhenry7503: 9:57am On Jul 27, 2023
Are you ready to revolutionize your accounting and financial management? QuickBooks, the industry-leading software, offers a plethora of powerful functions that can transform the way you handle your business's finances. Which QuickBooks function is most useful, it depends on the specific needs and requirements of a business. QuickBooks is a great accounting software program that can help your small business keep track of its finances. It also has some basic functions that you should know about before getting started with QuickBooks. In this blog you will know the 5 Basic Functions of QuickBooks

Read Article:- https://www.globalfpo.com/blog/you-should-know-5-basic-functions-of-quickbooks
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Inayachem: 10:21am On Jul 27, 2023
I can get you UK healthcare sponsorship for your wife and you go with your entire family.
Duration of 1 month

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by gaby(m): 11:57am On Jul 27, 2023
You better japa to better country.

I don arrange my backpack, some bread, milk, sugar, etc like this.

I dey enter through Agadez soon.

We sabi the koror.

Morocco, here I come.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by phemmyfour: 11:57am On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria.

Current Situation:
Recently, I was disengaged from my job, and this has prompted me to contemplate a major life decision. I am 45 years old, and my wife is 42 years old. Together, we have three children, two of whom are in secondary school.

Contemplating Relocation:

Given the circumstances, I have been seriously considering the possibility of relocating to another country with my family via study route. Two countries have caught my attention: the UK and Canada. I believe that I still have around 15 years of active career working life by the Grace of God, and I am open to exploring new opportunities abroad for the betterment of my family's future.

Reasoning:
The motivation behind this move is to provide my children with a better education and quality of life while also embracing new experiences. However, I am fully aware that this is not without risks, as it would involve utilizing my lifetime savings and making a fresh start in a foreign land.

Seeking Your Advice
:
I humbly seek your honest advice and opinions on this matter. Here are some key points to consider:

Family considerations: How will relocating impact my children's education and overall well-being?

Age and career transition: Is starting anew in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Financial stability: Should I be concerned about using my savings for this move? What steps can I take to ensure financial security in a new country?

Visa and immigration: What are the challenges and best practices in obtaining permanent residency in the UK or Canada?

Job opportunities: How promising is the job market for accountants in these countries? Are there viable prospects for career growth?

Investment options: Alternatively, what investment opportunities in Nigeria can provide a stable income stream for my family?

Conclusion:
I am deeply grateful for any advice, personal experiences, or suggestions you can provide. Your valuable insights will play a significant role in shaping this crucial decision for my family's future.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your support means a lot to me and will help me make an informed choice.

Warm regards,
Age isn't on your side....all the same, you can give it a shot but you LL spend over 20m to achieve that
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Emmaneze: 12:00pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria.

Current Situation:
Recently, I was disengaged from my job, and this has prompted me to contemplate a major life decision. I am 45 years old, and my wife is 42 years old. Together, we have three children, two of whom are in secondary school.

Given the circumstances, I have been seriously considering the possibility of relocating to another country with my family via study route. Two countries have caught my attention: the UK and Canada. I believe that I still have around 15 years of active career working life by the Grace of God, and I am open to exploring new opportunities abroad for the betterment of my family's future.

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:
I humbly seek your honest advice and opinions on this matter. Here are some key points to consider:

Family considerations: How will relocating impact my children's education and overall well-being?

Age and career transition: Is starting anew in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Financial stability: Should I be concerned about using my savings for this move? What steps can I take to ensure financial security in a new country?

Visa and immigration: What are the challenges and best practices in obtaining permanent residency in the UK or Canada?

Job opportunities: How promising is the job market for accountants in these countries? Are there viable prospects for career growth?

Investment options: Alternatively, what investment opportunities in Nigeria can provide a stable income stream for my family?

Conclusion:
I am deeply grateful for any advice, personal experiences, or suggestions you can provide. Your valuable insights will play a significant role in shaping this crucial decision for my family's future.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your support means a lot to me and will help me make an informed choice.

Warm regards,
Better use that 20m and set up a good business

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by YelloweWest: 12:00pm On Jul 27, 2023
What's your finances?

Go to Canada, don't hesitate! Tell you wife to start carer training online. That's the quickest way to pr currently.

Good luck!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by yewit37486: 12:01pm On Jul 27, 2023
Such a polite OP. Wish you all the very best whatever decision you make. But please, do not make your decision in a haste, make sure it is well thought out, and most importantly seek God's guidance - that's the ultimate, as what is hotcake today can be yesterday's news tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Sjay86: 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
I will like to advise you homestly.
I am in Uk at the moment.
Send me email lets hook up
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Redman44(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Nigerfine3:
My friend and his wife once made such decision. I advised against it, they said that thier definition of success is THEIR KIDS SCHOOLING IN USA.
7 years down the line, one kid in university, others doing well in high school but parents have been living from hand to mouth.
There isn't anything you could do with accounting degree. You would surely start afresh with other jobs that feeds you and family without savings.
The kids enjoy free secondary education, you labour Latour Latour. If you are the kind that can't stand having savings per month, you might not survive it.
Go to oyo, osun, states or ilaro side in ogun state, get big farm land against next year.
You can farm up to 100 acres of cassava, under good farm manager( with help of locals too), you would make unimaginable profit after one year.
Invest the remaining money in little thing to feed family before the harvest starts.
Planting season starts March, buy land learn it next year start work

Oh, my God. Why are you spilling out these secrets? Let them leave Nigeria for us. Cheers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Padipadi(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,
You are very lucky. Just do all you can and go to abroad. Don't consider Nigeria at all cos this time next year with way things dey go, fuel ll be N1K

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by tonididdy(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,
It’s an ok plan if you were in your late 20s or early 30s
At 45yrs old you should consider being your own boss
At 45 in UK or Canada getting a professional job, your chances are very low and otherwise, I doubt you could do hard labor jobs.

Your best bet is farming or investing in a business for your wife in which you can both participate in
( provision shop, pharmacy….)
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by A305: 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Send your kids and you stay back.

Support them from here; Invest in them and let them know they are your retirement plan for the future.

Back home here — Engage in businesses building Materials, cement etc. I didn't say business but businesses.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by BigDawsNet: 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,

You can't travel to the UK with your kids starting from Jan 2024 so I think you should focus on anada..

And if you really want the UK.. I hav a private university in the uk that has intake in Oct, Nov and Dec... which means.. if you can start now.. you can resume in any of dat month and move with ur dependents...

Generally, if your mind is off Nigeria.. den pls move...
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Stivinmesi: 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Don't travel abroad, it really isn't worth it unless you are a young man.

My counsel , acquire skills on how to trade the Financial market.

I will have learnt it while in Nigeria but I didn't and now I am regretting it.

20 Million isn't huge (that's less than £20,000).

Look for ways to earn in hard currency while living in Nigeria.

The Ways
1. Forex Trading
2. Crypto Trading and Crypto Jobs
3. Remote work (Upwork, Fiver, indeed)
4. Stock and Synthetic trading
5. Affiliate marketing

Once you have established that, you can start investing in Real Estate, Startups (to get shares) etc.

Best of luck

Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,

5 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by YelloweWest: 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
justwise:
If you are going for degree or MSc then take the UK out from your list, you can't travel with your family and it will cost you a lot.
You can till Jan 2024
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by obataokenwa(m): 12:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
Stay where you are and invest that money. Even though you've finally made up your mind, pls don't sell any of your properties to finance it. Try other countries but now I know that naija too sweet. And finally make sure you didn't come through school.

7 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Ykc2(m): 12:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
Abroad Abroad like western countries are waiting for nigerian to come grin if your not in medical line nurse or doctor you people should stop this abroad this or that in that medical line is limited to UK and irland in this europe then North America

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Alhari(m): 12:09pm On Jul 27, 2023
We all are looking for greener pasture and good environment to excel in but the truth is looking at what God has blessed you with within your age bracket is a huge blessing that can increase the more if you take the right step.
Looking at your age range and that of your wife I will not suggest you go & start in a foreign land afresh but I will advice in make research and invest in agriculture (farming or livestock) any other business of your choice in Nigeria and send your children to good schools, when they are seeking for admission sponsor there traveling to go & study lucrative courses which can earn them a job there when they graduate. With time they will be the one to relocate you the parents to come and stay with them.

Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Karlifate: 12:11pm On Jul 27, 2023
I like your write-up cheesy
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by athaliya(f): 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2023
Go abroad alone first for a masters.
In the uk, the masters is 1yr or 2yrs afyer which you'll get a job and can bring your family.

20m will gradually get eroded and now isn't really the best time to start a business especially if you don't have experience

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by KenOne: 12:13pm On Jul 27, 2023
I wish you could reach out to me I will explain fully how it works in Canada I'm in Canada. And considering we are same contemporaries, mean almost age group and your situation was like mine before I left Nigeria for Canada.

You can send me your email and we can later proceed with a FaceTime calls. A lot of people that came to Canada through school route are regretting it today because agents gave them the wrong schools and Province.

Note I'm not an agent, I just give honest advice as someone in Canada and with first hand experience.

I wish you all the best!

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by sulaak(m): 12:16pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,

Usually, I would suggest that Nigerians over 35 with family should stay put in Nigeria, but in your case, the situation is quite different. You already have a transferrable professional background in accounting. If you complete a professional certification such as ACA, ACCA , or CIMA, you can quickly get a well-paid job in the UK. I will suggest that you start working towards professional certification as you plan to "Japa"

You also have local assets such as land ad a flat that you can fall back on if "Japa" doesn't work.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by maticar: 12:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
ednut1:
At this point just guide your children to study courses that would make them japa easily in future like nursing, medicine, tech etc.
This!!
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Nice2023(m): 12:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

If relocation is on your mind, look for jobs abroad. If you had experience in a highly sort after position I am sure you can get a work sponsorship. You can also learn french and move to Canada through express entry. Dont waste your money on farming or anything. Once your 20 million, disappears poverty go nack you front, back, left and right. Convert your money to dollars while thinking so it doesn't lose more value.

Hmm,this kind advice for 45year old man.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Sukkyy2010: 12:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:
Thank you for this advice. I will think about your proposal and see how it will work for me. I honestly appreciate your time.

Please, if you have ideas on how someone can be a middleman in farming values chain. Please you can share. Thanks
I plead to you that you take the farming advise, buy acres of farm land in a rural area, farm at large( mechanize farming) you have the monetary resource for that. Explore nature through farming and build an empire for you and your family, it's advantage which would render you to become an employer unlike being in a foreign land working as an employee. You've lived the most of your efficient lifetime as an employee,
you're better off to live the rest of your life to live a self employed and self-sufficient life. Nigeria is the most easy country on planet to establish a business without a strict government policy and regulation please take advantage of that. The shift the crave of western countryside to your children and make your self a strong hold for them. You can't imagine the wealth their in until you embark on it. Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by myrrtle(m): 12:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,

Your children are already growing up! Prepare their minds and let them he the ones to relocate abroad. Moving abroad is not that rosy! So many guys are doing menial jobs just to survive
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by bastardson: 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2023
Those of you advising the OP to setup a business are wicked. The most useless place to do business is in Nigeria.

95% of Nigeria employee are out there to beat the system.

Kai where do i start from.. My personal experience or helping different family members and acting like i was an ordinary staff in the midst of their real staff.

If there's an opportunity to kill you, they will.

At OP if you have 50 million, investing in Nigeria would turn it to 200k in less than 2 yrs. I swear on my life.

Investing in Nigeria only favors the very poor, (Small Scale) kiosk, akara fryer or small shops, Or the Billionaires (Large Scale) Business.

i am sure you are within the Medium Scale. You will fail.

Japa Pleaseeeeeee. UK would give you rubbish job opportunities. Canada is better.

5 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by DanielsParker(m): 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2023
obataokenwa:
I'm in UK like this. Stay where you are and invest that money. Even though you've finally made up your mind, pls don't sell any of your properties to finance it. Try other countries but now I know that naija too sweet. And finally make sure you didn't come here through school.

What other route? I’m also considering relocating . Budget 5m
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by inception101(m): 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2023
It’s best you relocate to the uk or Canada as you rightly suggested. However, your scope of occupation is highly in demand but you may need to brush up with some certifications. Study route will cost you more in the uk. Why not explore the skilled worker route in the uk for your family to move together!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NRC Reacts To Hitch On Ibadan-lagos Train Service / Multiple Road Traffic Crash At Upper-Iweka, Onitsha. 10 Killed, Scores Injured / Lists Of The 6 Best Lounges And Clubs In The Ibadan City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.