Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts (17708 Views)

"You Have No Business Relocating Abroad If You’re 40 & Above" Abroad-based Lady / Please What Are The Chances Of A 40 Year Old Man Relocating Abroad? / If You are Doing Well In Nigeria, You Have No Business Relocating Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by saintkeppy(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria.

Current Situation:
Recently, I was disengaged from my job, and this has prompted me to contemplate a major life decision. I am 45 years old, and my wife is 42 years old. Together, we have three children, two of whom are in secondary school.

Contemplating Relocation:

Given the circumstances, I have been seriously considering the possibility of relocating to another country with my family via study route. Two countries have caught my attention: the UK and Canada. I believe that I still have around 15 years of active career working life by the Grace of God, and I am open to exploring new opportunities abroad for the betterment of my family's future.

Reasoning:
The motivation behind this move is to provide my children with a better education and quality of life while also embracing new experiences. However, I am fully aware that this is not without risks, as it would involve utilizing my lifetime savings and making a fresh start in a foreign land.

Seeking Your Advice
:
I humbly seek your honest advice and opinions on this matter. Here are some key points to consider:

Family considerations: How will relocating impact my children's education and overall well-being?

Age and career transition: Is starting anew in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Financial stability: Should I be concerned about using my savings for this move? What steps can I take to ensure financial security in a new country?

Visa and immigration: What are the challenges and best practices in obtaining permanent residency in the UK or Canada?

Job opportunities: How promising is the job market for accountants in these countries? Are there viable prospects for career growth?

Investment options: Alternatively, what investment opportunities in Nigeria can provide a stable income stream for my family?

Conclusion:
I am deeply grateful for any advice, personal experiences, or suggestions you can provide. Your valuable insights will play a significant role in shaping this crucial decision for my family's future.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your support means a lot to me and will help me make an informed choice.

Warm regards,

Forget study route to UK, one British pound now is over a Thousand Naira, school fees alone can wipe the entire #20M off your acant, Canadian school fees is not cheap either, you may use other route to Canada or consider other European countries like Sweden, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland.

Sit down do a thorough check on Threads in the Travel Section here on Nairaland, observe what Nigerians living in those countries have to say about cost of living & opportunities for foreigners, I believe this will help you take a decision.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by OBA2503: 4:02pm On Jul 27, 2023
I forgot to add. I work in the agricultural sector.
It is very hard these days.
Prices of inputs have skyrocketed.
Infact, Nigeria will face serious food shortage in the coming months if deliberate steps are not taken to ameliorate the situation.
There are more farms closing than new ones springing up.
Secondly, don't go into what you don't have experience about.
There are hyenas looking to take advantage of your ignorance just like our everyday mechanics.
Don't let anyone hoodwink or sweet talk you.
Agriculture is a government effort and there are no policies that currently support the sector.
Unless you have free money and you have passion for learning quickly, farming nor easy o.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by duchez(m): 4:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
I will give my advice from the perspective of being a first hand witness to someone who also left this country with his family. He was approaching 50, had 3 young kids and was a civil servant with one of the Federal Government agencies in Abuja.
He left the country for Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program. I can tell you quite emphatically that he is doing really really well now in Canada. He left Nigeria in early 2020. He now has his own house which he got late last year as well as living a very comfortable life over there.
I will advise anyone who cares to listen, except you are doing extremely well in Nigeria, if you have the means, leave the country to better countries.
My 2 cents.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by oneguy7: 4:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
KenOne:
I wish you could reach out to me I will explain fully how it works in Canada I'm in Canada. And considering we are same contemporaries, mean almost age group and your situation was like mine before I left Nigeria for Canada.

You can send me your email and we can later proceed with a FaceTime calls. A lot of people that came to Canada through school route are regretting it today because agents gave them the wrong schools and Province.

Note I'm not an agent, I just give honest advice as someone in Canada and with first hand experience.

I wish you all the best!
Pls sir can I message you? I wish i can message you or if possible you message me. 08136286975 thanks
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by alphabbey1(m): 4:21pm On Jul 27, 2023
Grace001:

I guess you didn’t read this part…

Is quality life all about money ? With the current state of situation in Nigeria, money alone can’t give you quality life. Like I said too many kids on Nairaland, not the best place for advice.
Quality life is about money. If you have money, you will live a quality life in a village.... Have you seen the kind of quality private schools and private hospitals in this country ? Oh! I guess u've never been to one... All you know is public and goverment centres...

Pray you have money, then you will see the kind of life you can live in this country....

OP lost his Job and the amount of money with him can't afford the life he want for him or his kids, not for long before he exhaust the 20m if he doesn't have a plan to replenish it.... that's his point...
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Regex: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I am eating agbado in agbado kingdom grin grin grin grin

Deh confuse us oh... Na who no know you...😂 😂
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Ekun123: 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria -

OPINION: Welldone. This is good Achievement for 15 years hardwork.

Current Situation:
Recently, I was disengaged from my job, and this has prompted me to contemplate a major life decision. I am 45 years old, and my wife is 42 years old. Together, we have three children, two of whom are in secondary school.

Given the circumstances, I have been seriously considering the possibility of relocating to another country with my family via study route. Two countries have caught my attention: the UK and Canada. I believe that I still have around 15 years of active career working life by the Grace of God, and I am open to exploring new opportunities abroad for the betterment of my family's future.

Reasoning:
The motivation behind this move is to provide my children with a better education and quality of life while also embracing new experiences. However, I am fully aware that this is not without risks, as it would involve utilizing my lifetime savings and making a fresh start in a foreign land.

OPINION: Personally, I don't totally share this illusion of this so call better education abroad and my experience in the industry doesn't show that. Getting certificate abroad without being skilled or getting the needed certification in your area of specialization gives no advantage. Infact, you stand a chance of working as a professional in Nigeria than going abroad and do any menial job to survive because of the unceasing bills and some biases. Today, with this bad 9ja education. Professionals Like Medical Doctors, Nurses, Teachers and ICT skilled personnel are being recruited to work abroad. Where are the ones that studied abroad when they are taking the one with bad education from 9ja?

Seeking Your Advice
:
I humbly seek your honest advice and opinions on this matter. Here are some key points to consider:

Family considerations: How will relocating impact my children's education and overall well-being?
OPINION: From statistic for those who are not carried away or being western-toxicated. Many relocated families are battling with different issues with their children in terms of morals, attitude and have lost many children to bad influences. I deal with familiar issues from colleagues every time because I have them plenty in my team. But, some don't come out to say the truth except you are close family. I sojourned in Western Europe and can attest to these realities . My opinion is that when they have acquired the maturity to think for themselves as adult, It is not a bad idea for their master program.
The one I will never do is living somewhere working and my family is in another country. I will not live a miserable life in the name of giving any children better chances of survival. I love and cherished my balanced and quality family life.

Age and career transition: Is starting a new in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Financial stability: Should I be concerned about using my savings for this move? What steps can I take to ensure financial security in a new country?

Visa and immigration: What are the challenges and best practices in obtaining permanent residency in the UK or Canada?
OPINION: Getting visa is not difficult if your papers are correct, nah your money go suffer.

Job opportunities: How promising is the job market for accountants in these countries? Are there viable prospects for career growth?
OPINION: If you have your certifications and quality professional experience, you will eventually get job after understanding the place. Which career remains after 45 yrs? You will work and collect your salary. It is only an entrepreneur that can think of being rich. A salary earner well just plan to be okay except the person steals. And it is not easy at all to do business abroad, tax and regulation will kill you from the inception.

Investment options: Alternatively, what investment opportunities in Nigeria can provide a stable income stream for my family?
OPINION: There are investment opportunity 9ja that you can explore and you will have no regret. You just need to be patient to pass through the learning curve. It is never like a miracle but gradual.

Conclusion:
I am deeply grateful for any advice, personal experiences, or suggestions you can provide. Your valuable insights will play a significant role in shaping this crucial decision for my family's future.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your support means a lot to me and will help me make an informed choice.

Warm regards,

GENERALLY : We tend to be on under pressure because multitude are doing something without looking at our personal and unique case critically. You can generally check the overall well being of your friends or family or colleagues who have been abroad in the last 15 years and you are here in 9ja. And review their well being financially, family-wise, their children ,their achievement, their savings and their personal fulfilment. It will give you a fair idea of wholistic view of whether to go or to stay. Because life fulfilment is beyond taking beautiful pictures from a nice scenery even if the person is planning suicide in the moment.

I don't feel the pressure may be because i have been there. I am cool in my 9ja and any child that want to go can go is free but I am here with my spouse, period!

The decision is majorly yours after listing your values and your target in life. You will be able to decide with your spouse. MAY GOD ALMIGHTY HELPS YOU AS DECIDE. AMEN .

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by MeineMutter: 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2023
Westwood2580:
Quickbooks and Xerox are great softwares for a practicing accountant.

Not for big goons company. Those software you mentioned are for starters and sone trading shops.

If he is going to North America, let him learn either Navision or Mfgpro in addition to those you mentioned, in case he finds himself in a manufacturing environment.

If it is europe, he should learn either SAP, Sage, JDEdward etc, in addition to Power BI or Qlik (for business analytics).

We that have ACCA and CPA, with over 18 years’ multinational companies work experience struggled before landing better job.

It’s not easy here to start professional exams and combine it with work or study.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by oldsoja01(m): 5:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
Relocation is on your mind and i bet you its not a bad idea. But having the right knowledge and information on how to relocate and what route to use is key. I will suggest you buy sponsorship for you wife to do care jobs in the UK while you will work full time. The advantage is this, your kids will go to school free at least till they start university, all your medical bills is taken care of and you have five years to figure out what you can be doing while doing menial jobs. Pls dont try study route ooooo, i paid 19k pounds for my fees, so you see that your 20M naira cannot do anything using the study route.
Goodluck as you decide on what to do. For little more information on this, you can send whatsapp message to me on 2348044440071.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by stancod(m): 5:23pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

What do you suggest...
farming (Agriculture never fade nor die)
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Mcslize: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000 you said you have worked for 15 years. That means you have enough experience for your job role already. That's a plus.

Age is not on your side. I will suggest you apply for a job role right here in Nigeria from abroad.

New Zealand is currently looking for workers from overseas. If you like New Zealand, you can try applying for your job sponsorship visa for your specific job role.

You need to package your application very well. There is a high possibility you might land a visa sponsorship job right from Nigeria.

Here is the website: https://tandg.global/

Do your own research, search for your job and apply.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Westwood2580: 5:57pm On Jul 27, 2023
MeineMutter:

Not for big goons company. Those software you mentioned are for starters and sone trading shops.

If he is going to North America, let him learn either Navision or Mfgpro in addition to those you mentioned, in case he finds himself in a manufacturing environment.

If it is europe, he should learn either SAP, Sage, JDEdward etc, in addition to Power BI or Qlik (for business analytics).

We that have ACCA and CPA, with over 18 years’ multinational companies work experience struggled before landing better job.

It’s not easy here to start professional exams and combine it with work or study.
So do you mean Accounting jobs are hard to get?
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Mcslize: 5:59pm On Jul 27, 2023
juman:
Dont travel abroad.

There are uncountable people like you travelled abroad and regret.
It is hard to make money in abroad, that is why most people say there is no money in abroad.
One can make money easily in nigeria than abroad.
There are plenty business opportunities in nigeria.
Even if you need to pay expert for advice for guidance, do.

Lol! Bull and cock stories. Let those that want to travel breathe.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Slimdan360: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:

It is hard to get sponsored visa for my field of study. I'm a Chartered accountant.
Start an accounting firm. If you are truly chartered, you will make it
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Gabtodinnov07: 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:
Thank you for this advice. I will think about your proposal and see how it will work for me. I honestly appreciate your time.

Please, if you have ideas on how someone can be a middleman in farming values chain. Please you can share. Thanks

Can you connect with me. Send me you contact @ gabtod.innov@live.com let's discuss
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by VULCAN(m): 8:33pm On Jul 27, 2023
I would advise you to slow down on the study route as your wife will be the one to carry the financial burden of the family as you will be barred from working full time.

I advise you to go the skilled worker visa route.

You will get your visa from here and your ticket and visa fees will be paid by your employer.

Your experience will be useful abroad.

I don't have time to answer all your questions so I will close here.

All the best
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Menclothing: 9:16pm On Jul 27, 2023
Everyone want to leave to uk and Canada

15k pod

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Maria96: 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2023
Slimdan360:

Start an accounting firm. If you are truly chartered, you will make it
at 45
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Timigeofrey(m): 9:45pm On Jul 27, 2023
It's better you retire here in your country than do that outside.

Invest some of your money in a business..eg. Farming...send your kids abroad for degrees one after the other

So many business ideas if only you'll ask

Live happily ever after in your country
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by hoyze24: 10:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Nigerfine3:
My friend and his wife once made such decision. I advised against it, they said that thier definition of success is THEIR KIDS SCHOOLING IN USA.
7 years down the line, one kid in university, others doing well in high school but parents have been living from hand to mouth.
There isn't anything you could do with accounting degree. You would surely start afresh with other jobs that feeds you and family without savings.
The kids enjoy free secondary education, you labour Latour Latour. If you are the kind that can't stand having savings per month, you might not survive it.
Go to oyo, osun, states or ilaro side in ogun state, get big farm land against next year.
You can farm up to 100 acres of cassava, under good farm manager( with help of locals too), you would make unimaginable profit after one year.
Invest the remaining money in little thing to feed family before the harvest starts.
Planting season starts March, buy land learn it next year start work

Farming isn't as easy as many of you think. it isn't a get rich quick scheme and neither one you go into without experience. Nigerians are wild and are looking for means to defraud people. Telling him to relate with locals isn't a good idea.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by hoyze24: 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
You're 45, leaving Nigeria at that age to seek greener pasture abroad isn't a good idea. You seem not to have skills that can get you jobs abroad too.
You studied accounting, I assume you know something about finance. Why not learn stuff like trading stock, foreign exchange or crypto currency.

You can make good money that can sustain you and your family from that. The most important thing here is putting in the work.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Usefulsense: 10:36pm On Jul 27, 2023
Usefulsense:
At OP,

I foresaw your predicament in my case 2 years ago. I am currently 48 and my wife is 39. 2 years ago I made a life changing decision.

I sent my wife to Australia on a student visa utilizing all my life's savings. Today, she has stabilized a little. Though she is still a student as she had to change her course of study from accounting to social work.

Currently, her employers are planning to sponsor her nomination for PR. All the necessary documentations have been completed.
She is doing pretty well and has progressed in her pursuit of CPA certification.

She has advised me to commence study for CPA immediately and that is what i am currently doing.

Hopefully, before the end of this year, I will be on my way to Aussie with my 2 children.

In addition to preparing for CPA, I will soon commence learning how to drive forklift.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by MeineMutter: 10:43pm On Jul 27, 2023
Westwood2580:
So do you mean Accounting jobs are hard to get?

Yes.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Emir411: 10:50pm On Jul 27, 2023
Canada is your best bet @ op, please maximize the opportunity now that it’s a little bit easy to migrate and you have the means, your wife can apply for a diploma program just to secure a visa, then you will get a work visa, you can afford to pay for the year 1 tuition, and then with your work experience you will find a breakthrough in Canada, save for year 2. If you can achieve this much while working here, trust me you will cope in Canada, running an existing business here has become so difficult, so you can imagine how crazy starting afresh would be, please don’t even consider it. There’s no insurance, no certainty, it’s all gambling and not for the weak. Just as your username implies, Alejo lowo especially in Nija anything can make it vanish, so if it’s around use it judiciously.

Alejo2000:

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria.

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Age and career transition: Is starting anew in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Conclusion:

Warm regards,
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Tumbuleke: 10:53pm On Jul 27, 2023
Never ending circle of life….Just when some think they are not married yet at a certain age, some are facing real life challenges in the marriage and puzzling thoughts. Indeed problem no dey finish.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Melagros(m): 11:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
Alejo2000:
Thank you for this advice. I will think about your proposal and see how it will work for me. I honestly appreciate your time.

Please, if you have ideas on how someone can be a middleman in farming values chain. Please you can share. Thanks
I'm a farm manager (fish farm) also try fish farming and other types of farming here in Nigeria
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Slimdan360: 11:55pm On Jul 27, 2023
Maria96:
at 45
Yes
Most individuals who open accounting firms often do that after retirement

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by haryomikun(m): 2:31am On Jul 28, 2023
priceactionx:
Number one is that money may not be enough for everyone and secondly, study routes are very expensive now. It will drain you out.
They use it to make money alot from immigrants while their people are very lazy and believe they are a graduate after high school.

Your username caught my attention. Are you a forex/perpetual futures trader who uses price action as a key technical analysis tool?
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by fajimytee: 5:19am On Jul 28, 2023
Alejo2000:

Current Situation:

Reasoning:

Seeking Your Advice
:

Conclusion:

Warm regards,

Looking at your age it might be difficult to get VISAs. I will expect you to be a Chartered Accountant based on the number of years of practice. The best bet will be to try to apply to jobs abroad with your experience and certifications, while you upskill your use of IT within the time you are applying. I will also advise you to pick up external auditing skills if you do not have them already. Apply to BIG4 accounting firms (EY, KPMG, PWC and Deloitte) and also BDO. They have auditing roles with VISA sponsorship in countries like the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, lots of countries within the eurozone and the USA. This will reduce your cost of relocation and give you a certain income available from day one of your arrival. Otherwise.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by gwinaB(m): 5:37am On Jul 28, 2023
Xscape1993:
Why can you start up a good venture in Nigeria for your family financial stability first before moving out sir? Honestly speaking, with this amount and the other things you have, you can win big in Nigeria and later move out. This is my humble submission.

This is true until you start the business and realize how useless it is to run a business in Nigeria.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by gwinaB(m): 5:38am On Jul 28, 2023
justwise:
If you are going for degree or MSc then take the UK out from your list, you can't travel with your family and it will cost you a lot.

You can still travel with your family until January
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by gwinaB(m): 5:39am On Jul 28, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
UK is out of it. Canada might not give you visa because of your age except you can try and learn french and see if you can get express entry as a french speaker. Other countries have language barrier and putting your wife and kids through that is something else o. I think your best bet is to learn french aggressively for the next one year and try to get to B2 level and try express entry.

Canada will give but the money in his account is grossly insufficient based on the current exchange rate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Multiple Road Traffic Crash At Upper-Iweka, Onitsha. 10 Killed, Scores Injured / Lists Of The 6 Best Lounges And Clubs In The Ibadan City / How To Fly With A Small Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.