Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts (17751 Views)

"You Have No Business Relocating Abroad If You’re 40 & Above" Abroad-based Lady / Please What Are The Chances Of A 40 Year Old Man Relocating Abroad? / If You are Doing Well In Nigeria, You Have No Business Relocating Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2023
What is menial job?
Can u give examples of dem too?
oldsoja01:
Relocation is on your mind and i bet you its not a bad idea. But having the right knowledge and information on how to relocate and what route to use is key. I will suggest you buy sponsorship for you wife to do care jobs in the UK while you will work full time. The advantage is this, your kids will go to school free at least till they start university, all your medical bills is taken care of and you have five years to figure out what you can be doing while doing menial jobs. Pls dont try study route ooooo, i paid 19k pounds for my fees, so you see that your 20M naira cannot do anything using the study route.
Goodluck as you decide on what to do. For little more information on this, you can send whatsapp message to me on 2348044440071.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by ayandee: 1:19pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
If am not a graduate, i cant run express entry? Just asking.

No, you can't. You need at least a BSC or HND.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2023
These free tins am always hearing abt, is it really true? Like is it totally free or there are some additional hidden fees to it.
pansophist:
I used to be a proponent of starting a business and growing bigger, but with what is going on in Nigeria right now, I won't advise anyone to do that. I mean your 20M is a lot of money, and ten years ago, it would be worth x5 of what it is right now in value.

So anyone with about 950M naira today is not a millionaire in dollars, how frustrating can that be? So after you make all your money as Nigerian Elon Musk, your money will still have less value at home and away. it's not worth it.

I will always advise people to pick Scandinavian countries, this society will clean up all the shit in your life. For real. The Nordic model (google it) is a birth-to-death life coverage, that covers every resident in the country, both foreigners as well.

So Just living there, your kids will be educated for free, healthcare is free, and a one-way ride to citizenship after four years even as a student.

But can you learn a new language? That's the price to pay.

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 2:02pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
These free tins am always hearing abt, is it really true? Like is it totally free or there are some additional hidden fees to it.

I can understand why you're shocked. If you're used to the Nigerian system, it's difficult to comprehend that some places are actually better.

Yes, it's free. I'm a beneficiary. I studied for free for my bachelor degrees in Finland, and I went for an exchange program abroad where the school (the government actually) paid me 500 euros every month for my monthly upkeep.

All these freebies and I was not a citizen/European. EU/Finnish citizens even had more privileges than us, but as a Nigerian, I can't complain.

Now is it free? Well, I'll say it's paid for by tax, so technically it's not free. But I was a student, and other taxpayers paid for my studies. But purely from a tuition fee perspective, yes, it's free.

And you'll be living in the one of the wealthiest society on earth, that makes asokoro in Abuja looks like slum. Imagine up till now, I've never seen an electric wires/poles, everything is underground.

Where dogs are friendly, and not used as security guard. A place where dogs behave so civilised, they actually cross the road when the lights are green.

A place where Nigerian definition of success is a norm there. So expect an 18 year old boy/girl coming to clas in a 2020 Jeep, lives alone in a modern flat, and that's the culture.

You call professors by their name, not the sir/ma, you guys call your teachers in Nigeria. A place where you challenge your professor in class, and if you're right, he will appreciate your correct and apologise.

So sweet heart, please, try your best and enter, so the country will clean up all the baggage from your life, baggage that Nigeria gave to all its citizens grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 2:04pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tank u.

Also, can u tell me what express entry entails. What is it all abt. I hear of it alot but got no clue what it looks like.

Tank u
ayandee:

No, you can't. You need at least a BSC or HND.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Karleb(m): 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2023
pansophist:

I can understand why you're shocked. If you're used to the Nigerian system, it's difficult to comprehend that some places are actually better.

Yes, it's free. I'm a beneficiary. I studied for free for my bachelor degrees in Finland, and I went for an exchange program abroad where the school (the government actually) paid me 500 euros every month for my monthly upkeep.

All these freebies and I was not a citizen/European. EU/Finnish citizens even had more privileges than us, but as a Nigerian, I can't complain.

Now is it free? Well, I'll say it's paid for by tax, so technically it's not free. But I was a student, and other taxpayers paid for my studies. But purely from a tuition fee perspective, yes, it's free.

And you'll be living in the one of the wealthiest society on earth, that makes asokoro in Abuja looks like slum. Imagine up till now, I've never seen an electric wires/poles, everything is underground.

Where dogs are friendly, and not used as security guard. A place where dogs behave so civilised, they actually cross the road when the lights are green.

A place where Nigerian definition of success is a norm there. So expect an 18 year old boy/girl coming to clas in a 2020 Jeep, lives alone in a modern flat, and that's the culture.

You call professors by their name, not the sir/ma, you guys call your teachers in Nigeria. A place where you challenge your professor in class, and if you're right, he will appreciate your correct and apologise.

So sweet heart, please, try your best and enter, so the country will clean up all the baggage from your life, baggage that Nigeria gave to all its citizens grin

Where did you do your exchange program? Was it masters or p. hd?
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tankz very much.

How can one cope with language stuff in these type of countries where english isnt spoken alot. I love japan but am scared of language barrier.
pansophist:

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by ayandee: 3:07pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
Tank u.

Also, can u tell me what express entry entails. What is it all abt. I hear of it alot but got no clue what it looks like.

Tank u

Visit the express entry thread in the travel section of Nairaland. You will find all the information you need there.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 3:43pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tank u
ayandee:

Visit the express entry thread in the travel section of Nairaland. You will find all the information you need there.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Sweetvie: 4:04pm On Jul 31, 2023
pansophist:

Do you have any idea abt Norway and Denmark? How long it takes to be a citizen in the two country. I heard Norway is 7years lipsrsealed
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 31, 2023
Alejo2000:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I find myself at a crucial crossroad in life and would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and diverse perspectives. I have worked diligently in a private organization for 15 years, managing to save up to N20 million. Additionally, I own a 3-bedroom apartment. and a few plots of land in three different states in Nigeria.

Current Situation:
Recently, I was disengaged from my job, and this has prompted me to contemplate a major life decision. I am 45 years old, and my wife is 42 years old. Together, we have three children, two of whom are in secondary school.

Contemplating Relocation:

Given the circumstances, I have been seriously considering the possibility of relocating to another country with my family via study route. Two countries have caught my attention: the UK and Canada. I believe that I still have around 15 years of active career working life by the Grace of God, and I am open to exploring new opportunities abroad for the betterment of my family's future.

Reasoning:
The motivation behind this move is to provide my children with a better education and quality of life while also embracing new experiences. However, I am fully aware that this is not without risks, as it would involve utilizing my lifetime savings and making a fresh start in a foreign land.

Seeking Your Advice
:
I humbly seek your honest advice and opinions on this matter. Here are some key points to consider:

Family considerations: How will relocating impact my children's education and overall well-being?

Age and career transition: Is starting anew in a foreign country feasible, considering my age and accounting background as my profession?

Financial stability: Should I be concerned about using my savings for this move? What steps can I take to ensure financial security in a new country?

Visa and immigration: What are the challenges and best practices in obtaining permanent residency in the UK or Canada?

Job opportunities: How promising is the job market for accountants in these countries? Are there viable prospects for career growth?

Investment options: Alternatively, what investment opportunities in Nigeria can provide a stable income stream for my family?

Conclusion:
I am deeply grateful for any advice, personal experiences, or suggestions you can provide. Your valuable insights will play a significant role in shaping this crucial decision for my family's future.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. Your support means a lot to me and will help me make an informed choice.

Warm regards,

I would advise you apply for a job that would sponsor your visa(work visa) and relocation, because that's what I did. I was sponsored by a company to move overseas. Study route will wipe out all your savings.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by MeineMutter: 6:36pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
Can u tell me what and what jobs are menial jobs? What does menial work look like?

Lots of jobs. I don’t know the country you are going and I don’t know your level of energy.
Are you the type that loves to sleep early or sleep late? Can you stand longer? Can you lift heavy loads? Can you walk all through big or small warehouses without sitting down for hours? Do you have vehicle or forklift driving experience? Etc.

Those are parts of things that you need to consider when choosing your menial job.

You can expect to work in hotels, restaurants, parcel delivery or sorting companies, farms or wood logging companies, floor cleaning, refuse collection for trucks, cab-hailing (e-g. Uber and Bolt), healthcare giving to old people, teaching children, dog-walking etc etc etc.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 7:07pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tanks. But i thought driving vehicle or forklift, teaching, plumbing are skillful jobs not menial jobs. Or am the one missing something here. Am thinking menial jobs are the least kind of jobs like the other ones u mention e.g working in hotels, restaurants, farm, lifting heavy loads, parcel delivery etc.
MeineMutter:

Lots of jobs. I don’t know the country you are going and I don’t know your level of energy.
Are you the type that loves to sleep early or sleep late? Can you stand longer? Can you lift heavy loads? Can you walk all through big or small warehouses without sitting down for hours? Do you have vehicle or forklift driving experience? Etc.

Those are parts of things that you need to consider when choosing your menial job.

You can expect to work in hotels, restaurants, parcel delivery or sorting companies, farms or wood logging companies, floor cleaning, refuse collection for trucks, cab-hailing (e-g. Uber and Bolt), healthcare giving to old people, teaching children, dog-walking etc etc etc.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by MeineMutter: 7:50pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
Tanks. But i thought driving vehicle or forklift, teaching, plumbing are skillful jobs not menial jobs. Or am the one missing something here. Am thinking menial jobs are the least kind of jobs like the other ones u mention e.g working in hotels, restaurants, farm, lifting heavy loads, parcel delivery etc.

They are menial (blue-collar) jobs here. Just that they could look more dignifying than some menial jobs.

You may need to pass some driving tests o and lease a vehicle, if you are considering being a cabbie. If it’s a country where they don’t speak English, you may need some basic levels of the language.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 8:14pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tanks. I appreciate alot.

Pls let me ask dis last question. I wont bother u again.

Where can one or how can one learn those languages dat are not english if i intend going to non-english speaking country. If u dont have idea u can ignore it.

Tankz
MeineMutter:

They are menial (blue-collar) jobs here. Just that they could look more dignifying than some menial jobs.

You may need to pass some driving tests o and lease a vehicle, if you are considering being a cabbie. If it’s a country where they don’t speak English, you may need some basic levels of the language.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by MeineMutter: 8:26pm On Jul 31, 2023
Love800:
Tanks. I appreciate alot.

Pls let me ask dis last question. I wont bother u again.

Where can one or how can one learn those languages dat are not english if i intend going to non-english speaking country. If u dont have idea u can ignore it.

Tankz

You can ask me, as many questions, as you want. So long I have up-to-date or more relevant answers to them, and I have time, I will attempt to answer them.

As per learning languages, you can start from free online apps.
YouTube also has free hundreds of millions of videos on languages.
Learning those languages online doesn’t guarantee you of mastering such language but you are already informed about it. It could make learning it easier when you get to the country you are going. That’s if you are not lazy to learn language because it can be daunting to learn language when you are not under pressure.

You can also consider to attend language school of such country in Nigeria and then write their language exams and pass. Having this language certificate could easily set you up in the country you are going, once you land. Just make sure you learn it up to B1 level either in Nigeria or the moment you get into such country. A1 or A2 is not bad either but it may not fetch you white-collar jobs but quickly fetch you blue-collar jobs.

I hope I have addressed your area of concern well. If not, let me know.

You can check many apps on your play store to have a feel on what the language could look like.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 8:32pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tanks so much

I really appreciate u

MeineMutter:

You can ask me, as many questions, as you want. So long I have up-to-date or more relevant answers to them, and I have time, I will attempt to answer them.

As per learning languages, you can start from free online apps.
YouTube also has free hundreds of millions of videos on languages.
Learning those languages online doesn’t guarantee you of mastering such language but you are already informed about it. It could make learning it easier when you get to the country you are going. That’s if you are not lazy to learn language because it can be daunting to learn language when you are not under pressure.

You can also consider to attend language school of such country in Nigeria and then write their language exams and pass. Having this language certificate could easily set you up in the country you are going, once you land. Just make sure you learn it up to B1 level either in Nigeria or the moment you get into such country. A1 or A2 is not bad either but it may not fetch you white-collar jobs but quickly fetch you blue-collar jobs.

I hope I have addressed your area of concern well. If not, let me know.

You can check many apps on your play store to have a feel on what the language could look like.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:56pm On Jul 31, 2023
pansophist:

Bro guide me na. How can I reach you
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 12:24am On Aug 01, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
Bro guide me na. How can I reach you

I will always answer if you ask me here. I have stopped doing pm except where I deem it necessary. Just ask here, and I will answer. The info you need, many need it as well.

3 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 12:26am On Aug 01, 2023
Sweetvie:
Do you have any idea abt Norway and Denmark? How long it takes to be a citizen in the two country? I heard Norway is 7years lipsrsealed

Yes, and Denmark is nine years.

Also, Denmark does not allow multiple citizenships. So be ready to give up your Nigerian citizenship, if you ever you become a Dane.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 12:28am On Aug 01, 2023
Love800:
Tankz very much.

How can one cope with language stuff in these type of countries where english isnt spoken alot. I love japan but am scared of language barrier.

You learn it, or accept doing jobs that don't require language, but require muscle grin

So be ready to sweep, wash, lift, carry, push, pull, scrub, scratch, and drink lots of painkillers after work ends. Or you go learn the language, and upgrade your academic qualifications, so you can be economically engaged in professions that don't affect your esteem.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 12:30am On Aug 01, 2023
Karleb:

Where did you do your exchange program? Was it masters or p. hd?

Bachelors. I did it in Poland.

Poland sef na one sweet place o. Chai. Memories grin
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 12:34am On Aug 01, 2023
Savagethe21st:
Sir please is masters free there or is there a program like express entry to help people become permanent residents?

Norway is still free. Finland and Sweden now charge money from non-EU students. The days of free tuition are over, sadly.

Technically, it's not over, but they limit the audience of those who can get it to an extremely small group of non-EU citizens.

So for example, if you are a refugee (eg its free for the Ukrainians), or you moved there to join a family, then it will be free for you. But coming to Finland straight from Naija to study, you will pay.

4 Likes

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 6:04am On Aug 01, 2023
Tanks alot

I appreciate

Pls my last question, i wont bother u again. So where can one or how can one learn the language. Any idea?
pansophist:

You learn it, or accept doing jobs that don't require language, but require muscle grin

So be ready to sweep, wash, lift, carry, push, pull, scrub, scratch, and drink lots of painkillers after work ends. Or you go learn the language, and upgrade your academic qualifications, so you can be economically engaged in professions that don't affect your esteem.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Purvan(m): 8:03am On Aug 01, 2023
Love800:
Tanks alot

I appreciate

Pls my last question, i wont bother u again. So where can one or how can one learn the language. Any idea?

Watch anime and read manga if you wantu go to Japan
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Sweetvie: 9:17am On Aug 01, 2023
pansophist:

Yes, and Denmark is nine years.

Also, Denmark does not allow multiple citizenships. So be ready to give up your Nigerian citizenship, if you ever you become a Dane.
Nah
This is not cool lipsrsealed
This is why people are running away from Europe.
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 11:14am On Aug 01, 2023
Whats anime?
Purvan:

Watch anime and read manga if you wantu go to Japan
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Purvan(m): 11:58am On Aug 01, 2023
Love800:
Whats anime?

You wantu go to Japan and you dont know what's anime
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Love800(m): 12:03pm On Aug 01, 2023
Honestly i dont know.
Sorry for my ignorance.
Purvan:

You wantu go to Japan and you dont know what's anime
Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 2:01pm On Aug 01, 2023
Sweetvie:
Nah
This is not cool lipsrsealed
This is why people are running away from Europe.

Haha.

If you're married to a citizen, then it's just three years. Also, if you're married to a Dutch man for example, then even if you guys live outside the Netherlands, you can apply for your citizenship after three years.

If you're from a Spanish speaking country, you only need to live in Spain for a year to become a citizen.

Lots of ways to cut the residency requirement short, but generally, it's long if you're on a work permit for example.

And many countries are faster. It's just Germany, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and some few countries that takes time.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by pansophist(m): 2:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
Love800:
Tanks alot

I appreciate

You'll learn it in the country. Learning it outside the country is like learning how to swim with textbooks.

Enter first, then immersion will be automatic. I didn't learn Yoruba or Pidgin for one day, but I umdertood and can speak just by living in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts by Alejo2000: 3:10pm On Aug 01, 2023
Opurumiri:

I would advise you apply for a job that would sponsor your visa(work visa) and relocation, because that's what I did. I was sponsored by a company to move overseas. Study route will wipe out all your savings.

Which country did you relocate to via sponsored visa and what is your discipline?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Documents Might One Need Outside Nigeria? / Nigerian Took Overdose To Avoid Deportation From The UK / No Boeing 737 Max 8 Flying In Nigerian Airspace, Says NCAA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.