Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded (75335 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / How Do I Relocate Abroad. HELP!!! / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 02, 2023
yewit37486:

Duh. 340 pounds? When there are people contracting being paid ~£500-900 per day. Of course they have paid their dues and developed their skill sets, but there are PEOPLE earning that and more PER DAY.

Services should be paid for. It's nothing to be proud of to say some don't even pay for water.

Don’t mind that individual. You’re right. I know people who get paid 1million pounds per day in the UK working just 2hrs in a warehouse
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by megastu(m): 3:00am On Aug 02, 2023
oh boy if this is true, na suffer people dey suffer for Canada.
Tinyemeka:

Yeah, I understand your viewpoint, and believe me, that is one thoughtful consideration I've decided to reserve for the future. I look forward to retiring and spending my grey years in Nigeria, which is why we're gradually building nest eggs here and there, but the more I get used to the modest way of life here as contrasted with the loud/aggressive way of life at home, I do get doubts about whether I can really live in Nigeria when I grow old.

When I mentioned my wife's case I only listed that as one of some examples of the drastic change in circumstances that has occurred in our lives since we moved to the UK.

I do beg your pardon if I come off as sounding like a brag which honestly is not my intention but rather an attempt to convey to you the peace of mind that we feel since we moved vis a viz the constant assurance of power supply, clean water supply (we don't even put water in the fridge but drink cold water directly from the kitchen tap at home. It blew my mind that such level of water cleanliness could be maintained all the way from the water purification plants, through the mains and to all the homes). With regards to home security, fences are mostly about 4 feet tall, with shrubbery for privacy. I've never locked our gate before and so many times we've forgotten to lock our front door and go to bed at night, without any fear of a break-in. Most of the people I interact with are always courteous, are not loud and people tend to follow rules for the most part in their daily activities. It is not all rosy though, because there are some inefficiencies you may encounter but it is definitely not something you can compare to what you'd experience in Nigeria.

Prior to travelling I'd always considered the US or Canada, because of the stories we used to hear about the UK and it's notorious taxes. Well, we came in and by God's grace we've both been working, earning, paying our bills and saving enough to send home.

If I could drop some pieces of advice about relocating to the UK, avoid London if your combined household income is going to be less than £90,000 per annum. The city is designed to only be affordable to live in by the wealthy. It is also severely overpopulated which has led to increasing gang-related activity and crime rates.

I will advise that if you ever see the opportunity to come to the UK from Nigeria, grab it with all four limbs. If it's through a work visa route, that's all the more icing on the cake. Coming via the study route with a large family at once, is definitely going to create difficult circumstances in trying to settle down.

P.S: To others who say it is not possible to save additional N12.5m within a year:

NHS Band 5 Nurse salary per month after tax: £1,760 - £1,960 for working 3 days a week.
After picking agency shifts elsewhere:
£340 per day or £3,060 per month after tax (2 nights a week, 9 shifts a month)

God so kind, a couple can earn as much as £7,500 a month after tax, be modest and keep their monthly expenses under £2,000.

You really do not have to live in London to claim that you're residing in the UK. It will just drain your lifeblood and make you forget your reason for leaving Nigeria in the first place.

Cheers.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by DesireFarms(m): 5:15am On Aug 02, 2023
Ur Sarcasm is irrelevant. This is an open forum and you need to be open to learn new things. Some people earn more than 600£ a day. Though most of the job are contracted and might jst last for few months or weeks, But it’s very possible. Don’t just sit down in the Corner of your room and think everybody is earning the bare minimum . Even people earning minimum wages are doing fine,I’m still part of the minimum wage crew. Relocated with student visa with 2kids now on Tier 2 and I’m doing relatively fine. Relocating to the Uk should be a personal conviction. If you believe you need it. Do it and don’t look back. It might /always be tough/rough at the beginning but with time,You can/may have achieved what you haven’t achieved in Nigeria for years. UK is not a Bed of Roses ,but the system works, to make life easier for you ,always try and upgrade and acquire relevant skills and you don’t need to know anybody here to get a job unlike the other side,Just have the right skills.
quote author=Right005 post=124818869]

Don’t mind that individual. You’re right. I know people who get paid 1million pounds per day in the UK working just 2hrs in a warehouse [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Lilimax(f): 5:49am On Aug 02, 2023
Right005:

I agree with u. In fact you don’t need to have a skill before you japa to countries like the USA. There are lot of jobs even for people who don’t go to school. I have a friend who didn’t go to school and is working as a engineer for NASA earning over a million dollars a month. In fact, as soon as you land in the US, the government give u $30 million for u to settle down. Free housing, free food , free healthcare etc. these things are what we lack in Nigeria
Make Sarcasm no finish you there. Continue yarning opata tongue angry
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by TheUnsure: 6:09am On Aug 02, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Yeah I understand your viewpoint and believe me, that is one thoughtful consideration I've decided to reserve for the future. I look forward to retiring and spending my grey years in Nigeria, which is why we're gradually building nest eggs here and there, but the more I get used to the modest way of life here as contrasted with the loud/aggressive way of life at home, I do get doubts about whether I can really live in Nigeria when I grow old.

When I mentioned my wife's case I only listed that as one of some examples of the drastic change in circumstances that has occurred in our lives since we moved to the UK.

I do beg your pardon if I come off as sounding like a brag which honestly is not my intention but rather an attempt to convey to you the peace of mind that we feel since we moved vis a viz the constant assurance of power supply, clean water supply (we don't even put water in the fridge but drink cold water directly from the kitchen tap at home. It blew my mind that such level of water cleanliness could be maintained all the way from the water purification plants, through the mains and to all the homes). With regards to home security, fences are mostly about 4 feet tall, with shrubbery for privacy. I've never locked our gate before and so many times we've forgotten to lock our front door and go to bed at night, without any fear of a break-in. Most of the people I interact with are always courteous, are not loud and people tend to follow rules for the most part in their daily activities. It is not all rosy though, because there are some inefficiencies you may encounter but it is definitely not something you can compare to what you'd experience in Nigeria.

Prior to travelling I'd always considered the US or Canada, because of the stories we used to hear about the UK and it's notorious taxes. Well, we came in and by God's grace we've both been working, earning, paying our bills and saving enough to send home.

If I could drop some pieces of advice about relocating to the UK, avoid London if your combined household income is going to be less than £90,000 per annum. The city is designed to only be affordable to live in by the wealthy. It is also severely overpopulated which has led to increasing gang-related activity and crime rates.

I will advise that if you ever see the opportunity to come to the UK from Nigeria, grab it with all four limbs. If it's through a work visa route, that's all the more icing on the cake. Coming via the study route with a large family at once, is definitely going to create difficult circumstances in trying to settle down.

P.S: To others who say it is not possible to save additional N12.5m within a year:

NHS Band 5 Nurse salary per month after tax: £1,760 - £1,960 for working 3 days a week.
After picking agency shifts elsewhere:
£340 per day or £3,060 per month after tax (2 nights a week, 9 shifts a month)

God so kind, a couple can earn as much as £7,500 a month after tax, be modest and keep their monthly expenses under £2,000.

You really do not have to live in London to claim that you're residing in the UK. It will just drain your lifeblood and make you forget your reason for leaving Nigeria in the first place.

Cheers.

I guess relocating as a single-income household is not the best idea…
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 6:41am On Aug 02, 2023
TheUnsure:

I guess relocating as a single-income household is not the best idea…

Definitely a very bad idea.

There will always be jobs available for both parents. Jobs that can pay them each at least £1,800 - £2,300 per month after tax, without any working experience. After settling in, they can eventually expand contacts/network and search for better paying jobs.

The biggest challenge is managing childcare, if there are kids that are still quite young.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by TheUnsure: 6:48am On Aug 02, 2023
Tinyemeka:

There will always be jobs available for both parents. Jobs that can pay them each at least £1,800 - £2,300 per month after tax, without any working experience. After settling in, they can eventually expand contacts/network and search for better paying jobs.

The biggest challenge is managing childcare, if there are kids that are still quite young.

A single mum in this case...Kids are 7 and 10. They are not so little but also not old enough you stay at home unattended...
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 6:58am On Aug 02, 2023
DesireFarms:
Ur Sarcasm is irrelevant. This is an open forum and you need to be open to learn new things. Some people earn more than 600£ a day. Though most of the job are contracted and might jst last for few months or weeks, But it’s very possible. Don’t just sit down in the Corner of your room and think everybody is earning the bare minimum . Even people earning minimum wages are doing fine,I’m still part of the minimum wage crew. Relocated with student visa with 2kids now on Tier 2 and I’m doing relatively fine. Relocating to the Uk should be a personal conviction. If you believe you need it. Do it and don’t look back. It might /always be tough/rough at the beginning but with time,You can/may have achieved what you haven’t achieved in Nigeria for years. UK is not a Bed of Roses ,but the system works, to make life easier for you ,always try and upgrade and acquire relevant skills and you don’t need to know anybody here to get a job unlike the other side,Just have the right skills.
quote author=Right005 post=124818869]

Don’t mind that individual. You’re right. I know people who get paid 1million pounds per day in the UK working just 2hrs in a warehouse

My dear. Ignore those you can ignore.

I still cannot comprehend trying to compare living in Nigeria with the UK.

I'll give just one example:

Yesterday I saw the video of the small plane that crashed on a busy road in Lagos and then another video of some non-uniformed young men, supposedly pulling out pieces of the plane from the ground, while a crowd was gathered around them filming the whole thing.

Now tell me, if there should be an investigation to inspect the wreckage and find out reasons for the crash, how the heck will that be possible, when unknown elements have absolutely destroyed the evidence? There was absolutely no form of police presence or any security agency on ground to cordon off the area and preserve the wreckage. At the end of the day all I read from comments being posted were "chai, hope nobody died?". That right there is one of the evil mentality and systems in place that made me happy about leaving Nigeria.

That complete lack of organisation, failed systems, corruption (I'm not saying that the UK is blameless), abuse of power, poverty and seeming helplessness by the people. It's just too much.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 7:15am On Aug 02, 2023
TheUnsure:

A single mum in this case...Kids are 7 and 10. They are not so little but also not old enough you stay at home unattended...

Would be quite difficult honestly. What would happen if mum needs to work night shifts?

People here tend to mind their own business but they take childcare very seriously. If your neighbour happens to suspect that the kids are being left alone, don't be surprised when the neighbour reports the matter to the county council and then Welfare Services will just come and knock on the door one day. They take kids away from the parent if there is reason to suspect that there is insufficient support at home to take care of the kids.

During the day, who will bring them back from school, take them home and feed them? Can you do all that within 1 hour of your break time?

I'm sorry I don't want it to sound like I'm advising you, but if I were to chip in, I could suggest maybe having the kids stay with a grandparent or someone who can care for them for about 4 - 5 months, travel alone first, settle down, get the job and start earning, rent a house good enough for the kids and see what arrangements can be made for them when they arrive.

It's much easier to raise N1m post-expense savings in the UK than in Nigeria. So you'll actually be in a better position to plan and take care of everyone while they are still in Nigeria, than if the whole squad landed at once.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 7:18am On Aug 02, 2023
TheUnsure:

Is it on a work or study visa if you don't mind me asking please?
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by TheUnsure: 7:36am On Aug 02, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Is it on a work or study visa if you don't mind me asking please?

Through work visa
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 8:31am On Aug 02, 2023
TheUnsure:

Through work visa

Perfect.

It might be a good idea to consider going first, settling down and finishing arrangements before bringing the kids on Work Visa - Dependent Child.

P.S. It is much easier to live in the UK as couples than as single parents.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 9:28am On Aug 02, 2023
Right005:

It's your choice to continue to live at your current level of knowledge, or rather ignorance. Not my problem.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Zahra29: 10:51am On Aug 02, 2023
Tinyemeka:

There will always be jobs available for both parents. Jobs that can pay them each at least £1,800 - £2,300 per month after tax, without any working experience.After settling in, they can eventually expand contacts/network and search for better paying jobs.

While I agree with the majority of your comments, I would caution against statements like the bolded which can lead to unrealistic expectations.

£2300 is approx £28,000 pa gross. A recent immigrant without experience or the requisite qualifications will struggle to obtain this level of pay, especially in the north where costs of living may be lower, but so also is the average wage. If they worked a lot of overtime shifts per week, it might be possible, but not as a starting basic salary.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by omonla10(m): 11:50am On Aug 02, 2023
hosemujica:
Uk’s minimum wage is 11 pounds an hour . How much does your work pay?
Google amazon uk.. Nite duty.. 4days a week and 2extra days overtime.. Making 6 days work..

It's difficult, but we dey do am for naija with no issues
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 2:57pm On Aug 02, 2023
Zahra29:

While I agree with the majority of your comments, I would caution against statements like the bolded which can lead to unrealistic expectations.

£2300 is approx £28,000 pa gross. A recent immigrant without experience or the requisite qualifications will struggle to obtain this level of pay, especially in the north where costs of living may be lower, but so also is the average wage. If they worked a lot of overtime shifts per week, it might be possible, but not as a starting basic salary.

I apologize if my statement may have created such a situation.

By zero experience, I meant HCA roles for which many homes recruit people with no experience on 48 hrs/week contract. Minimum wage is £10.42/hr or 26,000/annum based on that contract. And this is if the person didn't pick a single OT shift for the whole year. With OT, it's definitely in the 2,300 range and much more than that.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Vad123: 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Love800:
As illegal or legal immigrant?
Sorry for my too many questions. Wont bother u again
lol study route. Feel free to ask any question please
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Love800(m): 1:34am On Aug 04, 2023
But u work only for few hours. Or have they add more hours. I thouht as a student, ur working range is limited?
Vad123:
lol study route. Feel free to ask any question please
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Vad123: 4:22am On Aug 04, 2023
Love800:
But u work only for few hours. Or have they add more hours. I thouht as a student, ur working range is limited?
I'm a dependent. My wife is the student
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Love800(m): 8:29am On Aug 06, 2023
How did ur wife gain admission into the sch?

I ave been wanting to know how one can apply to study in a sch abroad
Vad123:
I'm a dependent. My wife is the student
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by StudentsNG: 1:24pm On Aug 06, 2023
"Getting" and "Paying-off" ain't the same.

The moment you get a mortgage, the house is yours. So it doesn't take 20yrs to get a house abroad, it takes as soon as you have a good job and credit required to qualify.

armyofone:

It takes more years to pay off mortgage.

Unless you buy a home with cash paid down right away. Most mortgage - 30years but you can pay off early if you have big chunk of money to pay.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by PARADIZEPRIEST: 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2023
LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.ALL THAT GLITTER ARE NOT GOLD. angry
INVESTIGATE BEFORE YOU MOVE,DONT BE A YOUNG FOOOL.
Once we correct the mistrust in nigeria everybody will enjoy.
E.g If you collect loan to run business ,try and pay back as agreed,so that trust can grow
If you are a student and collect loan to study,work hard to pay as you can
If you agree to do a legit deal with someone secure your trust by not double crossing etc.Live sane life lets begin to trust ourselves for mutual benefits.Abroad is not for everybody,no dey follow ,follow. shocked
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by grandstar(m): 10:49am On Oct 04, 2023
This is what happens what you have an unrealistic view about life overseas.

I am asked all the time: "O boy, why don't you travel? What are you still doing in Nigeria? If I were you, I would have japa'd tete"

Before jetting out, really , really do your homework and not get there and start regretting

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lady Killed By A Hit And Run Driver In Sapele, Delta. Do You Know Her? (Graphic) / Nigerian Man Travelling To Saudi Arabia On Bicycle (Photos) / Moment Airbus A340 Passenger Plane Lands In Antarctica For The First Time(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.