Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded (75327 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / How Do I Relocate Abroad. HELP!!! / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Goodman247: 8:14pm On Jul 31, 2023
All this are satanist threads
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Japa is actually for people not doing well in Nigeria
So it's good for your wife.
All the same, is your wife coming back to enjoy the fruit of her labour in Nigeria? Very unlikely.
It's more like slaving for people back home.

Yeah I understand your viewpoint and believe me, that is one thoughtful consideration I've decided to reserve for the future. I look forward to retiring and spending my grey years in Nigeria, which is why we're gradually building nest eggs here and there, but the more I get used to the modest way of life here as contrasted with the loud/aggressive way of life at home, I do get doubts about whether I can really live in Nigeria when I grow old.

When I mentioned my wife's case I only listed that as one of some examples of the drastic change in circumstances that has occurred in our lives since we moved to the UK.

I do beg your pardon if I come off as sounding like a brag which honestly is not my intention but rather an attempt to convey to you the peace of mind that we feel since we moved vis a viz the constant assurance of power supply, clean water supply (we don't even put water in the fridge but drink cold water directly from the kitchen tap at home. It blew my mind that such level of water cleanliness could be maintained all the way from the water purification plants, through the mains and to all the homes). With regards to home security, fences are mostly about 4 feet tall, with shrubbery for privacy. I've never locked our gate before and so many times we've forgotten to lock our front door and go to bed at night, without any fear of a break-in. Most of the people I interact with are always courteous, are not loud and people tend to follow rules for the most part in their daily activities. It is not all rosy though, because there are some inefficiencies you may encounter but it is definitely not something you can compare to what you'd experience in Nigeria.

Prior to travelling I'd always considered the US or Canada, because of the stories we used to hear about the UK and it's notorious taxes. Well, we came in and by God's grace we've both been working, earning, paying our bills and saving enough to send home.

If I could drop some pieces of advice about relocating to the UK, avoid London if your combined household income is going to be less than £90,000 per annum. The city is designed to only be affordable to live in by the wealthy. It is also severely overpopulated which has led to increasing gang-related activity and crime rates.

I will advise that if you ever see the opportunity to come to the UK from Nigeria, grab it with all four limbs. If it's through a work visa route, that's all the more icing on the cake. Coming via the study route with a large family at once, is definitely going to create difficult circumstances in trying to settle down.

P.S: To others who say it is not possible to save additional N12.5m within a year:

NHS Band 5 Nurse salary per month after tax: £1,760 - £1,960 for working 3 days a week.
After picking agency shifts elsewhere:
£340 per day or £3,060 per month after tax (2 nights a week, 9 shifts a month)

God so kind, a couple can earn as much as £7,500 a month after tax, be modest and keep their monthly expenses under £2,000.

You really do not have to live in London to claim that you're residing in the UK. It will just drain your lifeblood and make you forget your reason for leaving Nigeria in the first place.

Cheers.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by virtue123(m): 8:59pm On Jul 31, 2023
dont mind those guys that talks about things they know nothing about.waste no time in trying to explain anything to them because no amount of explanation can bring them to speed as to whats happening here in the uk.Please save yourself the stress sir..its not just worth it....1 pound is worth more than 1k naira...what could anyone possibly talk about Nigeria that is good?

Tinyemeka:

Yeah I understand your viewpoint and believe me, that is one thoughtful consideration I've decided to reserve for the future. I look forward to retiring and spending my grey years in Nigeria, which is why we're gradually building nest eggs here and there, but the more I get used to the modest way of life here as contrasted with the loud/aggressive way of life at home, I do get doubts about whether I can really live in Nigeria when I grow old.

When I mentioned my wife's case I only listed that as one of some examples of the drastic change in circumstances that has occurred in our lives since we moved to the UK.

I do beg your pardon if I come off as sounding like a brag which honestly is not my intention but rather an attempt to convey to you the peace of mind that we feel since we moved vis a viz the constant assurance of power supply, clean water supply (we don't even put water in the fridge but drink cold water directly from the kitchen tap at home. It blew my mind that such level of water cleanliness could be maintained all the way from the water purification plants, through the mains and to all the homes). With regards to home security, fences are mostly about 4 feet tall, with shrubbery for privacy. I've never locked our gate before and so many times we've forgotten to lock our front door and go to bed at night, without any fear of a break-in. Most of the people I interact with are always courteous, are not loud and people tend to follow rules for the most part in their daily activities. It is not all rosy though, because there are some inefficiencies you may encounter but it is definitely not something you can compare to what you'd experience in Nigeria.

Prior to travelling I'd always considered the US or Canada, because of the stories we used to hear about the UK and it's notorious taxes. Well, we came in and by God's grace we've both been working, earning, paying our bills and saving enough to send home.

If I could drop some pieces of advice about relocating to the UK, avoid London if your combined household income is going to be less than £90,000 per annum. The city is designed to only be affordable to live in by the wealthy. It is also severely overpopulated which has led to increasing gang-related activity and crime rates.

I will advise that if you ever see the opportunity to come to the UK from Nigeria, grab it with all four limbs. If it's through a work visa route, that's all the more icing on the cake. Coming via the study route with a large family at once, is definitely going to create difficult circumstances in trying to settle down.

P.S: To others who say it is not possible to save additional N12.5m within a year:

NHS Band 5 Nurse salary per month after tax: £1,760 - £1,960 for working 3 days a week.

God so kind, a couple can earn as much as £7,500 a month after tax, be modest and keep their monthly expenses under £2,000.

You really do not have to live in London to claim that you're residing in the UK. It will just drain your lifeblood and make you forget your reason for leaving Nigeria in the first place.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by XAUBulls: 9:10pm On Jul 31, 2023
sukkot:
grin 30 million. down the drain
Indeed Sukkot... 30 million down the drain is really enervating for most folks. SomeY people never learn until they get hit the hard way!
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by XAUBulls: 9:14pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Cheers.
Word!
Places such as Manchester are way cheaper than London.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Dotherightthing: 11:23pm On Jul 31, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Cheers.

You've buttressed my point already

The fact that you can't return home to enjoy the fruit of your labour shows you are slaving for people back home. So what is your gain

Also, how does someone earn 340pounds per day in UK How many hours do you work How much are you paid per hour
Make una lie small small nah

Back here, not everywhere is like Lagos.

Where I am power is 24 hours except there is a fault. Some people have access to potable water which they don't even pay for. Everywhere is calm. We thank God.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by TWoods(m): 2:25am On Aug 01, 2023
Dotherightthing:

The fact that you can't return home to enjoy the fruit of your labour shows you are slaving for people back home. So what is your gain

Also, how does someone earn 340pounds per day in UK How many hours do you work How much are you paid per hour

Where I am power is 24 hours except there is a fault. Some people have access to potable water which they don't even pay for. Everywhere is calm. We thank God.

Unless they are generating their own water, this is an example of the problem with Nigeria. Some people use utilities without paying for them while others have none. Other countries work by making sure everyone pays their fair share.

2 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Tinyemeka(m): 6:48am On Aug 01, 2023
Dotherightthing:

We're already enjoying the fruits of our labour here and I don't understand what you mean by "returning home to enjoy the fruits of our labour". The fact that I'm contemplating returning back to Nigeria when I retire is more of a "returning back to my roots" reason and not to go home and "enjoy". I'm already "enjoying" here bro.

Another crazy thing I discovered here is that vacations to places like Paris has become as easy as just taking a Eurostar train (if we don't feel like flying) and we could do that 3 times a year if we chose.

I will never advise any Nigerian not to come over here because the change in your circumstances if you do would be destiny-changing, as long as you're willing and able to work and believe me there are too much jobs available in the health and care. But plan the relocation wisely.

This your constant rant about the pay being a lie is understandable because I assume you must be converting it to naira and concluding that it is impossible for someone to earn the equivalent of N350,000 per shift after tax. Hate to break it to you, but some agencies would pay more than double that amount on public holidays.

I won't reply your posts anymore.

I don try biko.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Vad123: 9:56am On Aug 01, 2023
Love800:
Is it menial work or white collar job?
warehouse job and cleaning. I make a total of 600 weekly
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by kelspinall(m): 10:15am On Aug 01, 2023
KPELE
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 10:26am On Aug 01, 2023
Dotherightthing:

Duh. 340 pounds? When there are people contracting being paid ~£500-900 per day. Of course they have paid their dues and developed their skill sets, but there are PEOPLE earning that and more PER DAY.

Services should be paid for. It's nothing to be proud of to say some don't even pay for water.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 11:05am On Aug 01, 2023
Tinyemeka:

We're already enjoying the fruits of our labour here and I don't understand what you mean by "returning home to enjoy the fruits of our labour". The fact that I'm contemplating returning back to Nigeria when I retire is more of a "returning back to my roots" reason and not to go home and "enjoy". I'm already "enjoying" here bro.

Another crazy thing I discovered here is that vacations to places like Paris has become as easy as just taking a Eurostar train (if we don't feel like flying) and we could do that 3 times a year if we chose.

I will never advise any Nigerian not to come over here because the change in your circumstances if you do would be destiny-changing, as long as you're willing and able to work and believe me there are too much jobs available in the health and care. But plan the relocation wisely.

This your constant rant about the pay being a lie is understandable because I assume you must be converting it to naira and concluding that it is impossible for someone to earn the equivalent of N350,000 per shift after tax. Hate to break it to you, but some agencies would pay more than double that amount on public holidays.

I won't reply your posts anymore.

I don try biko.

I have already alluded to the fact that relocating abroad is change of environment at best.

Why do you send money back home to do stuffs for you if you don't intend returning home to enjoy them

Why do you keep measuring your worth in Naira terms thereby making you feel good Because the value of what you earn isn't worth much where you are.

Everything you enjoy over there, we also enjoy here. It just depends on where you are. We just want to travel for the sake of bragging rights. Everyone knows there is no place like home. My mum is currently in the UK. She is already longing to be back home.

And we all know blacks earn less than whites for the same job done.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/black-asian-earning-less-white-colleagues-000136870.html
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 11:07am On Aug 01, 2023
yewit37486:

Duh. 340 pounds? When there are people contracting being paid ~£500-900 per day. Of course they have paid their dues and developed their skill sets, but there are PEOPLE earning that and more PER DAY.

Services should be paid for. It's nothing to be proud of to say some don't even pay for water.

Are those people Africans
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Love800(m): 11:10am On Aug 01, 2023
As illegal or legal immigrant?
Sorry for my too many questions. Wont bother u again
Vad123:
warehouse job and cleaning. I make a total of 600 weekly
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 11:15am On Aug 01, 2023
Augustone:

Are those people Africans

Yep, Nigerians. Of course, other people who are non-Nigerians in the same field earn it too, but the people I am referring to are Nig.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 11:17am On Aug 01, 2023
TWoods:

Unless they are generating their own water, this is an example of the problem with Nigeria. Some people use utilities without paying for them while others have none. Other countries work by making sure everyone pays their fair share.

Exactly my point too.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 11:29am On Aug 01, 2023
yewit37486:

Yep, Nigerians. Of course, other people who are non-Nigerians in the same field earn it too, but the people I am referring to are Nig.

I doubt! It goes against what we have all over the internet.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 11:38am On Aug 01, 2023
Augustone:

I doubt! It goes against what we have all over the internet.

You are free to doubt. But it doesn't change the fact that there are Nigerians that have earned and are still earning ~£1k per day.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2023
yewit37486:

You are free to doubt. But it doesn't change the fact that there are Nigerians that have earned and are still earning ~£1k per day.

At this point, you must show evidence.

No employee earns that in the UK - whether white, brown or black.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 12:22pm On Aug 01, 2023
Augustone:

At this point, you must show evidence.

No employee earns that in the UK - whether white, brown or black.

Except you are being sarcastic and I missed that somehow, I actually do feel for you if you genuinely think no one earns that amount in the UK - possibly a function of your environment or the people in your circle. Well, all I will say to you is speak to those consulting in the UK and ask them, no one is going to paste their personal details here to prove a point to a stranger.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by omonla10(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2023
hosemujica:
I swear I did not see your post before I quoted him. Mhen I can believe him if he breaks it down.
at my work here in the uk.. U can actually save over 3.2m naira monthly.. Provided ur wife is working full time which will take care of rents a d bills..

So 12.5m can actually be saved in 6 months or less

And mind you.. Na warehouse work o.. And male and female do same work, so u can see its not too much stress other than being a nite job. 6days a week

2 Likes

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by dupyshoo: 12:35pm On Aug 01, 2023
Please stop wasting your time on this individual. The person has got no clue about UK.
yewit37486:

Except you are being sarcastic and I missed that somehow, I actually do feel for you if you genuinely think no one earns that amount in the UK - possibly a function of your environment or the people in your circle. Well, all I will say to you is speak to those consulting in the UK and ask them, no one is going to paste their personal details here to prove a point to a stranger.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by yewit37486: 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2023
dupyshoo:
Please stop wasting your time on this individual. The person has got no clue about UK.

Good advice. I'm just going to ignore his further replies. Thanks.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 12:39pm On Aug 01, 2023
yewit37486:

What are you consulting

I have used google and no such is coming up.

Abeg park well
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 12:40pm On Aug 01, 2023
dupyshoo:

Continue deluding yourselves. cheesy

I have several folks over there
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by dupyshoo: 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2023
I have got no time to argue over your beer parlour facts.
Augustone:

Continue deluding yourselves. cheesy

I have several folks over there

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Augustone: 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2023
dupyshoo:
I have got no time to argue over your beer parlour facts.

Please give me facts from the internet

Are we not in a global village anymore
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Dyfynezz12(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2023
TheNewAgeFarmer:
Too many fake stories just to drive in traffic. Sold house, car and borrowed millions and yet they couldn’t meet up with schools.
Most of you just want to paint abroad bad.
Please next fake story😂.
Lol😂😂 mayb they sold dy car for 1m, house 1m, and borrowed 18milliom to make it 20m.

1 Like

Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by TheNewAgeFarmer(m): 2:10pm On Aug 01, 2023
You see the lies right?
Dyfynezz12:

Lol😂😂 mayb they sold dy car for 1m, house 1m, and borrowed 18milliom to make it 20m.
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by hosemujica: 5:17pm On Aug 01, 2023
omonla10:
at my work here in the uk.. U can actually save over 3.2m naira monthly.. Provided ur wife is working full time which will take care of rents a d bills..

So 12.5m can actually be saved in 6 months or less

And mind you.. Na warehouse work o.. And male and female do same work, so u can see its not too much stress other than being a nite job. 6days a week
Uk’s minimum wage is 11 pounds an hour . How much does your work pay?
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by AntiTerrorist: 7:36pm On Aug 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Family regrets selling house and borrowing money to relocate abroad, now stranded and facing hardship

Akinwande IdowuJul 29, 2023

A Nigerian family with five children regrets finding themselves in dire straits after borrowing millions of naira, selling their house, and car to fund their relocation to the United Kingdom.

The family embarked on this life-changing journey with hopes for a better future, but their dreams have been shattered as they struggle to cope with financial challenges in a foreign land.

The family, headed by a mother with a study visa, made the decision to move to the UK in pursuit of higher education opportunities.

However, upon arrival, she was confronted with the reality that she needed to secure a post-graduate visa to be eligible to work in the country, a process that required a significant sum of money.

As a result, the mother has been unable to contribute financially to the family’s expenses, leaving her husband as the sole breadwinner.

According to the woman @gloriaotikor1, the situation has taken a toll on her family’s mental and emotional well-being. The creditors who lent her money in Nigeria are incessantly calling her, expecting repayment now that she is in the UK.

However, with no means of income and mounting bills, the family is facing an uncertain and distressing future.

Despite their efforts to secure funds, the woman has been unable to complete her school fees, putting her educational aspirations at risk. As a result, the family is trapped in a cycle of debt, struggling to make ends meet in a foreign country with limited resources.

The husband’s job, though providing some income, is insufficient to cover the rent and provide for the needs of their five children.

Netizens Reactions…
@Adekoya Adeniran said: “Rule 1! Never sell assets to relocate! NEVER!” olayinkaolowolag7 said: “Skill worker’s route is better for a big family like that.”

@Evolak said; “Greener pasture is not abroad, it’s a location where God has design for you. Understand this and have peace.”

@flikky said; “Why would they bring 5 children at once nawoo.”

@peaches said; “You see why I keep saying Canada is better than UK in terms of studying.”

@user5122196360123 said; “Their mistake was going together, They supposed go one after another.”

@browniebee said; “Omo people don’t listen ..I pray God help her ooo…Abroad no easy come join 5 kids.”

https://www.gistreel.com/family-regrets-selling-house-and-borrowing-money-to-relocate-abroad-now-stranded-and-facing-hardship/
Why are Agbadorians anti-japa?
Re: Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 02, 2023
Lilimax:
When you travel abroad with the right qualifications it won't be long your will stabiliize. It's still better than this country.
Just take a look at how inflation is ravaging the country. A bag of Rice as at last Friday is 48k. Tell me how an average family will cope. Transportation cost on the increase duœe to high petroleum pump price.
The government of the day is bereft of idea on what to do

I agree with u. In fact you don’t need to have a skill before you japa to countries like the USA. There are lot of jobs even for people who don’t go to school. I have a friend who didn’t go to school and is working as a engineer for NASA earning over a million dollars a month. In fact, as soon as you land in the US, the government give u $30 million for u to settle down. Free housing, free food , free healthcare etc. these things are what we lack in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lady Killed By A Hit And Run Driver In Sapele, Delta. Do You Know Her? (Graphic) / Nigerian Man Travelling To Saudi Arabia On Bicycle (Photos) / Moment Airbus A340 Passenger Plane Lands In Antarctica For The First Time(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.