Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,242 members, 7,829,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media (25411 Views)

Abdulsalami Abubakar-Led ECOWAS Delegation Arrives Niger To Meet Coup Leaders / Niger Coup Leaders Appoint New Governors / Faces Of Mali Coup Leaders Unveiled (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Odibembem: 6:47am On Aug 01, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Most countries in Africa need a regime reset and Nigeria isn't an exception. Our leaders' excesses are just too much. NA alone is earning more than what 36 states put together are earning. Despite the economic downturn currently plaguing Nigeria, none of them had come out to say they want to cut down on the huge allocations accrued to them and their excesses. You see governors leaving power and retiring at the senate as if there are no competent citizens who can occupy the senate to represent their respective states.

A military coup would reset leadership here or better still, a revolution. Even those supporting their evil deeds are feeling the heat. They're only suffering and smiling.

I asked my business partner in Niger why their military had to do what they did , citing how their leader was so close to Nigeria and the immediate past administration. He said hed chat me later. He told me the man had committed a lot of atrocities since he was elected president and recently, he ordered the release of an alqaeda terrorist from prison, the move which had received the public condemnation. It won't be a bad thing if military should take over power in Nigeria and re-do things for us, including our useless constitution which favours only the elite. After doing all these, they should arrest all of them and jail them, then restore our democracy by overseeing and conducting a free and fair election, then, return to barracks thereafter.

See our conversation below...

Some of u are so disillusional. So u want the military to seize power and redo d constitution so that the south or south east would be favoured in d new constitution over d north abi? Who do u think has d balls, d positioning and d numbers in d army to do any coup? Certainly not Ibos, Kwale, Ikwere or Bini army officers. It's still d northern officers that can effect a coup, God forbid. So no way they would effect a coup and not further entrench northern or even Fulani hegemony. Nigeria is gradually diluting d hold of one region over the rest of us and children like u think soldiers will risk their lives to do a reset and then leave? Where in Africa has that ever happened? Grow up abeg

1 Like

Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Westves: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2023
EyeCumInPiece:

Bitter truth is that Democracy is for Oyibo and not for Africans. We are still too crude and primitive for Democracy.

What do you suggest?
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by lagosrd: 8:02am On Aug 01, 2023
Dshocker:
Its been long Nigeria had a coup, i am looking forward to one.

If i were God for 1week, i will compel everyone that has held elected or appointed political office from 1960, to give account of every financial dealings they had, and if you can't give the full details, you will die

๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ Unfortunately, you can never be God. So go back to your seat
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Eriokanmi: 9:36am On Aug 01, 2023
Odibembem:

Some of u are so disillusional. So u want the military to seize power and redo d constitution so that the south or south east would be favoured in d new constitution over d north abi? Who do u think has d balls, d positioning and d numbers in d army to do any coup? Certainly not Ibos, Kwale, Ikwere or Bini army officers. It's still d northern officers that can effect a coup, God forbid. So no way they would effect a coup and not further entrench northern or even Fulani hegemony. Nigeria is gradually diluting d hold of one region over the rest of us and children like u think soldiers will risk their lives to do a reset and then leave? Where in Africa has that ever happened? Grow up abeg
Who's talking of regional favouritism here? Since the start of coup d'etat in Nigeria after independence, has it ever favoured a particular section of the country? You'd answer that yourself. If your fear of a coup is that, north would be sidelined and the south would benefit from the amended constitution, then you're one of those enemies of the north because you don't want your region and the common masses to develop and enjoy a new lease of life.

Look at the national assembly. If you say north constitutes the majority, I'd say yes. But how many of these law makers deliver on their promises? How many of them have successfully executed the various community projects in their various constituencies? The majority of them live in abuja. They hardly go home. But if the constitution could be amended such that, power would rest on the grass-roots and the local government could be fortified and allowed to run things without depending on state, you'd be amazed the level of development you'd see. North is the poorest region in Nigeria and a region with the highest number of out of school children on earth. That should bother you and I. All those law makers should be cut to size nationwide. The money they're eating can be used to develop all regions of the country. Only a change in constitution would address this.

The constitution we have today only favours the elites not the masses. That's the truth. We can't continue to work with it. See when Nigeria was practising regional government, we had groundnut pyramids in the north, cotton in the north, cocoa , pil palm, rubber in the south. The common man was empowered to do agriculture and they had money in their pockets. Where is the pyramid today? Where are the cotton farms which used to supply the kaduna textiles pruned cotton materials? Where is the kaduna textiles itself today? That's caused a huge job loss in hundreds of thousands. Our leaders don't care. You can answer all that by yourself. I'm Nigerian first before my tribal affiliation, if you've ever read any of my posts, you'd know this.

The coup idea isn't about sidelining the north. All regions are suffering from this constitution imposed on us. I don't believe in bokonharam or banditry. They're the consequence of the bad constitution which gave room for bad leaders to thrive. They're members of the society too. The government made them so radical, same as ipob. Boko haram means book is a sin or western education is a sin. When they see the governors , senators, ministers and their relations enjoying and sharing money , which belong to the masses for developmental purposes like road construction, agricultural subsidy and soft loans, education improvement, provision of portable water, etc , they'd say what's the essence of the so called western education which is enslaving instead of providing succour? They think once Islamic government is established, nobody dares steal what belongs to the masses anymore cos the person would be beheaded. This is the fact Nigerian leaders won't tell you.
Killing them won't solve any problem.

Once the government begins doing what's right, you'd never hear attacks by boko haram or bandits or ipob again. Only by changing our constitution by removing so much powers from them at the centre would this happen and I don't see our politicians doing that cos it would affect them. Only the military can do this.
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Wonderfulsam: 11:16am On Aug 01, 2023
:-Xwar on the way
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Odibembem: 7:27pm On Aug 01, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Who's talking of regional favouritism here? Since the start of coup d'etat in Nigeria after independence, has it ever favoured a particular section of the country? You'd answer that yourself. If your fear of a coup is that, north would be sidelined and the south would benefit from the amended constitution, then you're one of those enemies of the north because you don't want your region and the common masses to develop and enjoy a new lease of life.

Look at the national assembly. If you say north constitutes the majority, I'd say yes. But how many of these law makers deliver on their promises? How many of them have successfully executed the various community projects in their various constituencies? The majority of them live in abuja. They hardly go home. But if the constitution could be amended such that, power would rest on the grass-roots and the local government could be fortified and allowed to run things without depending on state, you'd be amazed the level of development you'd see. North is the poorest region in Nigeria and a region with the highest number of out of school children on earth. That should bother you and I. All those law makers should be cut to size nationwide. The money they're eating can be used to develop all regions of the country. Only a change in constitution would address this.

The constitution we have today only favours the elites not the masses. That's the truth. We can't continue to work with it. See when Nigeria was practising regional government, we had groundnut pyramids in the north, cotton in the north, cocoa , pil palm, rubber in the south. The common man was empowered to do agriculture and they had money in their pockets. Where is the pyramid today? Where are the cotton farms which used to supply the kaduna textiles pruned cotton materials? Where is the kaduna textiles itself today? That's caused a huge job loss in hundreds of thousands. Our leaders don't care. You can answer all that by yourself. I'm Nigerian first before my tribal affiliation, if you've ever read any of my posts, you'd know this.

The coup idea isn't about sidelining the north. All regions are suffering from this constitution imposed on us. I don't believe in bokonharam or banditry. They're the consequence of the bad constitution which gave room for bad leaders to thrive. They're members of the society too. The government made them so radical, same as ipob. Boko haram means book is a sin or western education is a sin. When they see the governors , senators, ministers and their relations enjoying and sharing money , which belong to the masses for developmental purposes like road construction, agricultural subsidy and soft loans, education improvement, provision of portable water, etc , they'd say what's the essence of the so called western education which is enslaving instead of providing succour? They think once Islamic government is established, nobody dares steal what belongs to the masses anymore cos the person would be beheaded. This is the fact Nigerian leaders won't tell you.
Killing them won't solve any problem.

Once the government begins doing what's right, you'd never hear attacks by boko haram or bandits or ipob again. Only by changing our constitution by removing so much powers from them at the centre would this happen and I don't see our politicians doing that cos it would affect them. Only the military can do this.

The military were d ones that centralized our constitution in the first place, prior to that we were a loose federation. The command structure of the military would never allow them free the federating units. Quit d day dreaming, no soldier ever does any coup to help, they do it for d lust of power. Just forget, there shall be no coup again inNigeria
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Eriokanmi: 10:24pm On Aug 01, 2023
Odibembem:

The military were d ones that centralized our constitution in the first place, prior to that we were a loose federation. The command structure of the military would never allow them free the federating units. Quit d day dreaming, no soldier ever does any coup to help, they do it for d lust of power. Just forget, there shall be no coup again inNigeria
Point of correction, the 1999 constitution was quite different from those written by the former milirary leaders. Google will help you find the old copy of it. The 1999 constitution was amended to favour the elites and allow them to get away with the loots and their corrupt practices. That's why each time lawyers and media always refer to our constitution as 1999 constitution as amended

The only thing that is constant in life is change. Nothing is impossible. It's laughable to think there can't be coup in Nigeria. What made you think so? All the variables are already there staring everyone in the face. If coup happens, Nigeria will not burn. Life will definitely move on. As long as you are still alive, nothing(including coup) is inevitable in a country like ours.
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Odibembem: 7:00am On Aug 02, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Point of correction, the 1999 constitution was quite different from those written by the former milirary leaders. Google will help you find the old copy of it. The 1999 constitution was amended to favour the elites and allow them to get away with the loots and their corrupt practices. That's why each time lawyers and media always refer to our constitution as 1999 constitution as amended

The only reason why u yearn for a coup is cos ur small god Peter Obi lost and he has made a fool of himself at d Tribunal and u know no way d courts would make him president. He didn't win d election in d first place, simple

No nation achieves greatness by short cut (coup). If u want a revolution then be ready for a blood bath which may kill your loved ones and leave only u but with ur means of livelihood entirely destroyed or u don't know revolution kill innocent people? The 1999 constitution has been amended so many times to d extent that items like electricity, railways, prisons are now in d concurrent list unlike d ones d military gave us right since Ironsi's unification decree to d 1979 constitution and then d original 1999 given to us by Abdusalam which clogged most powers in d exclusive list. What we ought to do now is participate fully in d next amendment so we can have policing moved to concurrent and VAT firmly established as a state tax and possibly increase derivation share to 20% not just for crude oil but for any mineral found under d ground. Name one African country that has benefitted from a coup. Samuel Doe came to Liberia in a coup, executed his predecessors and Liberia got worse, Rawlings killed so many in his coup in Ghana, perpetrated himself in power for so many years and today Ghana is broke, defaulted on it's loans and inflation is 52%. Name a single Arab country that turned out better after d Arab Spring revolution. Nzeogwu did his coup in Nigeria, killed so many people, many of your father's hailed him and next there was civil war, 3m souls were wasted and Nigeria didn't get better. In Uganda Idi Amin did coup, messed up d country, Museveni did his coup and has perpetrated himself in power since then and Uganda remained an agrarian country. Let's go to Burkina Faso, Thomas Sankara did his coup, it resulted in another coup by his own friend who perpetrated himself in power for so many years and today Burkina Faso wallows in deep poverty. Democracy has not served us d way we want but pls don't wish a greater evil on Nigeria

The only thing that is constant in life is change. Nothing is impossible. It's laughable to think there can't be coup in Nigeria. What made you think so? All the variables are already there staring everyone in the face. If coup happens, Nigeria will not burn. Life will definitely move on. As long as you are still alive, nothing(including coup) is inevitable in a country like ours.
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Odibembem: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2023
[quote author=Eriokanmi post=124817625] Point of correction, the 1999 constitution was quite different from those written by the former milirary leaders. Google will help you find the old copy of it. The 1999 constitution was amended to favour the elites and allow them to get away with the loots and their corrupt practices. That's why each time lawyers and media always refer to our constitution as 1999 constitution as amended

The only reason why u yearn for a coup is cos ur small god Peter Obi lost and he has made a fool of himself at d Tribunal and u know no way d courts would make him president. He didn't win d election in d first place, simple

No nation achieves greatness by short cut (coup). If u want a revolution then be ready for a blood bath which may kill your loved ones and leave only u but with ur means of livelihood entirely destroyed or u don't know revolution kill innocent people? The 1999 constitution has been amended so many times to d extent that items like electricity, railways, prisons are now in d concurrent list unlike d ones d military gave us right since Ironsi's unification decree to d 1979 constitution and then d original 1999 given to us by Abdusalam which clogged most powers in d exclusive list. What we ought to do now is participate fully in d next amendment so we can have policing moved to concurrent and VAT firmly established as a state tax and possibly increase derivation share to 20% not just for crude oil but for any mineral found under d ground. Name one African country that has benefitted from a coup. Samuel Doe came to Liberia in a coup, executed his predecessors and Liberia got worse, Rawlings killed so many in his coup in Ghana, perpetrated himself in power for so many years and today Ghana is broke, defaulted on it's loans and inflation is 52%. Name a single Arab country that turned out better after d Arab Spring revolution. Nzeogwu did his coup in Nigeria, killed so many people, many of your father's hailed him and next there was civil war, 3m souls were wasted and Nigeria didn't get better. In Uganda Idi Amin did coup, messed up d country, Museveni did his coup and has perpetrated himself in power since then and Uganda remained an agrarian country. Let's go to Burkina Faso, Thomas Sankara did his coup, it resulted in another coup by his own friend who perpetrated himself in power for so many years and today Burkina Faso wallows in deep poverty. Democracy has not served us d way we want but pls don't wish a greater evil on Nigeria
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Watcharena: 8:09am On Aug 02, 2023
haaryobhami:

The irony when you are using the same Internet created by the west u hate so much to share ur opinion
this doesn't mean they're helping him ,rather they're doing their business
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Eriokanmi: 9:09am On Aug 02, 2023
[quote author=Odibembem post=124820943][/quote]Who's talking Peter Obi here? Is it same Peter Obi that's causing the current situation in the country or the cause of what happened to our economy when Buhari was in power? I think I can understand what you're driving at which clearly proofs what I've been saying. You're not even a good student of history. Nzeogu wasn't the ring leader in that coup. Ademola Ademoyega was. The idea was to release Awo and declared him president. Don't even think I'm ibo cos I've been seeing the sign of tribalism in your post as predicted. I'm a full bloodied yorubaman. Go and read a book entitled Why We Struck. It was written by a prominent figure in that coup by the name Ademola Ademoyega. Maybe you'd learn something you didn't know until now. Stop dwelling on emotions and what people tell you. Read boy, read!!

Except you are living in the moon would you accept we have good leadership in place, which even predated Tinubu's administration. This predated his givernment, so don't I'm being as emotional as you are. In a revolution, there must be sacrifices and only a coward would be afraid of it.

On the final note, expect anything from either the military or the civilians in the country, should the situation remains abated. Thinking there can't be coup as if you control the army is laughable. Anything can happen, anytime
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Odibembem: 12:30pm On Aug 02, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Who's talking Peter Obi here? Is it same Peter Obi that's causing the current situation in the country or the cause of what happened to our economy when Buhari was in power? I think I can understand what you're driving at which clearly proofs what I've been saying. You're not even a good student of history. Nzeogu wasn't the ring leader in that coup. Ademola Ademoyega was. The idea was to release Awo and declared him president. Don't even think I'm ibo cos I've been seeing the sign of tribalism in your post as predicted. I'm a full bloodied yorubaman. Go and read a book entitled Why We Struck. It was written by a prominent figure in that coup by the name Ademola Ademoyega. Maybe you'd learn something you didn't know until now. Stop dwelling on emotions and what people tell you. Read boy, read!!

Except you are living in the moon would you accept we have good leadership in place, which even predated Tinubu's administration. This predated his givernment, so don't I'm being as emotional as you are. In a revolution, there must be sacrifices and only a coward would be afraid of it.

On the final note, expect anything from either the military or the civilians in the country, should the situation remains abated. Thinking there can't be coup as if you control the army is laughable. Anything can happen, anytime

You have not read Why We Struck. If u did u won't claim Ademoyega was d leader of d 1966 coup. Ademoyega made it very clear in d book that Nzeogwu was their leader, that's why Nzeogwu led d Kaduna axis to take out d Sadauna who was perceived as d strongest Bloc, Ifeajuna took out Balewa d PM in Lagos while Donatus Okafor was to take out Ironsi d GOC of d army in Lagos but he botched it. It was Nzeogwu that finally read d coup speech ousting the govt and it was he who took over d govt and later handed over to Col Katsina (who represented Ironsi) after Madiebo had convinced him to surrender. Go and read The Five Majors by Gen Gbulie, The Nigerian Revolution and Biafra War by Alexander Madiebo and even d account by Sir Rex Niven, PA to the Saduana all pointed to the fact that Nzeogwu was d undisputed leader of that coup.
As to if u are Yoruba, I don't care, it makes no point here, d likes of Macaroni and Iyabo Ojo are all Yorubas who are dancing naked around Obi without knowing d stuff he is made of and the demands of a Nigerian President.
The suffering we are encountering can be solved by a clear headed visionary and disciplined leadership together with a patriotic and informed followership. Any army officer who takes a gun and shoots his way to power and dissolves all d 36 states govt nationwide certainly does not have the kind of temperament to fix Nigeria. He would continue to kill and oppress to maintain the power he got illegally. U don't know what u say when u recommend military coup, u honestly do not understand d far reaching implication. U think they would give Nairaland, Facebook and Twitter this unhindered access to abuse and ridicule people as is done currently? Coups have never solved d problem of any country in Africa, not even one, how u think it would solve ours in a time like this is what I find most amusing
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by Eriokanmi: 2:17pm On Aug 02, 2023
Odibembem:

You have not read Why We Struck. If u did u won't claim Ademoyega was d leader of d 1966 coup. Ademoyega made it very clear in d book that Nzeogwu was their leader, that's why Nzeogwu led d Kaduna axis to take out d Sadauna who was perceived as d strongest Bloc, Ifeajuna took out Balewa d PM in Lagos while Donatus Okafor was to take out Ironsi d GOC of d army in Lagos but he botched it. It was Nzeogwu that finally read d coup speech ousting the govt and it was he who took over d govt and later handed over to Col Katsina (who represented Ironsi) after Madiebo had convinced him to surrender. Go and read The Five Majors by Gen Gbulie, The Nigerian Revolution and Biafra War by Alexander Madiebo and even d account by Sir Rex Niven, PA to the Saduana all pointed to the fact that Nzeogwu was d undisputed leader of that coup.
As to if u are Yoruba, I don't care, it makes no point here, d likes of Macaroni and Iyabo Ojo are all Yorubas who are dancing naked around Obi without knowing d stuff he is made of and the demands of a Nigerian President.
The suffering we are encountering can be solved by a clear headed visionary and disciplined leadership together with a patriotic and informed followership. Any army officer who takes a gun and shoots his way to power and dissolves all d 36 states govt nationwide certainly does not have the kind of temperament to fix Nigeria. He would continue to kill and oppress to maintain the power he got illegally. U don't know what u say when u recommend military coup, u honestly do not understand d far reaching implication. U think they would give Nairaland, Facebook and Twitter this unhindered access to abuse and ridicule people as is done currently? Coups have never solved d problem of any country in Africa, not even one, how u think it would solve ours in a time like this is what I find most amusing
I didn't read why we struck? Lol. The first time I bought and read that book was in 1994 and I still keep a copy at home till now and recommended same to several NL members here and where they can get it. Ademoyega, because of his intelligence was the lead director of that coup. Kaduna Nzeogu whose name was being echoed as the leader was probably put together by some people in order to distort history. The brave soldiers were actually 5 in number.

The above said, why are you saying you don't care of my tribal affiliation when you kept linking me with igbo in your posts by force, even referring to my fathers? Grow up!
I'd remind you of today, someday. No need to argue further
Re: Niger Coup Leaders Prohibit Citizens From Using Social Media by grandstar(m): 6:24pm On Aug 02, 2023
omohayek:

Snort -- f*** off, troll. I've wasted enough energy on your รฎdiocy for one day.

I see you've met Code Templar.

The guy's a nuisance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biden Imposes Visa Ban On 76 Saudis Over Khashoggi's Murder / Nigeria Urges Israel & Palestine To See Reason & De-Escalate / Garissa University College In Kenya Attacked By Gunmen (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.