Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,890 members, 7,828,147 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy (12087 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / Modern Organised Informal Agricultural Buyers Necessary In Nigerian IFS / PART 1: NIGERIAN OIL INDUSTRY AND FUEL SUBSIDY: FACTS, MYTHS & HIDDEN TRUTH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by sirjec(m): 12:05am On Oct 11, 2011
I feel this fuel subsidy should be removed because if you know how people are stealing money under the guise of fuel subsidy, you will weep for this country .

In the first place the questions we need to answer are;
1. is there anything like fuel subsidy?
2. How is this fuel been subsidized
3. Can't we stop importation
4. Where will the subsidy fund now be diverted into?

1. It amazes me when we say there is fuel subsidy because I know that we produce oil in this country and we also have Refineries that refine this oil into it's constituent finished products. So if Nigeria is producing oil and supplying to itself, where does subsidy come in?

2. I want to really know how this subsidy money is being paid and termed subside. Is it when we import or when we also produce that we subsidize?

3. Our leaders justify importation because they claim the refineries cannot sustain the nation's consumption. My concern is someone that works in refinery told me they produce sometimes to the extent PPMC cannot evacuate to customers and they have to shutdown on high ullage. So is it not funny that we do not even use all that the refineries produce before importing from outside thereby forcing the refineries to shutdown sometimes, Moreover I strongly believe that more of our consumption is on Generators so if power improves as we are promised, our consumption will reduce. Besides contract to build new refineries have been awarded.

4. Assuming there is fuel subsidy and the government stops it, where is the money going to be diverted to? House of Assembly allowances or personal pockets?

Well, I support the removal of this so called Subsidy, though I believe it never existed in reality.

I dey laugh
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Otunbakay(m): 12:16am On Oct 11, 2011
debosky:

So has Beaf agreed to go beg Ebele or not? cheesy

PS - do you think using pointB will save you from being banned again? cheesy
Maybe he's still consulting. He has not even posted any comment yet which is very unusual. Positive signs i must say. Better still, maybe he has appointed POINTB to be his spokeman for this thread.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Wallie(m): 12:30am On Oct 11, 2011
Here are the facts as I see them:

1. Corruption is endemic in Nigeria and the government is clueless how to tackle it on a large scale.
2. The money set aside for infrastructure building is only a fraction of what’s needed.
3. Infrastructure is seriously lacking.
4. Oil subsidy is a drain on the economy and the money can be better spent.
5. Billions of dollars are needed for infrastructure.
6. Better infrastructure will make for a more prosperous citizenry.

The problem facing Nigeria is a catch-22. Money is needed urgently for infrastructure but the money is being used on subsidy. So which should the government tackle first? Once the infrastructure is in place, subsidy won’t be needed except for the very poor but taking out the subsidy will make people suffer.

The problem is compounded by the fact that any money that flows through the government will be mismanaged. So there is no guarantee that the money taken out of the subsidy fund will be used on infrastructure projects.

The truth is that it makes little to no sense subsidizing fuel for millionaires and neighboring countries.

My solution is to remove the subsidy but give the "poor" the money directly to subsidize their expenses. This way, people can get wined off subsidy gradually. However, make sure that only people that file their taxes and earn below a certain amount get the money. This way, the government is bound to generate more income while fulfilling her welfare duties. Win-win! This stuff is not rocket science!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by BestDad: 2:14am On Oct 11, 2011
@Sirjec,

For an economy like Nigeria, subsidy can be of two fold.

Firstly, when you import petroleum product, the importer is expected to sell at international rate (including profit). That being the case, Nigerians would be paying close to $2/ltr (I bought $1.54/ltr last night here). I'm guessing $2 is approx N300. That would be what Nigerians would be paying without subsidy. The subsidy covers the difference from the importer's selling price and the price the consumers pay at the bowser.

Secondly, Nigeria's local refineries are not centrally located. Therefore, the little the refineries produces will need to be hualed to the nooks and far flungged corners of the country. Due to government's regulation, pump price is to be uniform across the country. Therefore someone have to cover the haulage cost to those farflung places. There again is where subsidy comes in.

@topic, my honest opinion is that the government keep the subsidy and block the leakages (i don't think that is too hard to do if there is the political will). I know that others here in the forum who live overseas will agree that all government subsidies something for their citizens. What else would the Nigerian government subsidise if they remove the fuel subsidy?

Here where I reside, public transport, health care, child care is highly subsidies for one and all. There are other subsidies depending on your circumstances e.g. aged, pensioners, disabled, single parents, military personnel, students, 'bludgers', refugees, etc

My 'two cent' advice would be keep the subsidy, plug the leakages (corruption) to generate funding for developing needed infrastructures e.g. power and public transport.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by lastpage: 2:23am On Oct 11, 2011
Okay, a little "refresher" on why l think fuel subsidy removal is a hoax, a deceitful gimmick for more looting!

First, what is fuel subsidy?
It is the difference between the cost of producing Petrol (locally) or buying and importing it from abroad AND the price it is sold to the public/ consumers. So if the real cost is x-naira and you sell it for x minus y-naira, that "y naira" is the subsidy, added by the government (to make it affordable to the poor).

1.)In 1985, when IBB was the President, price of a litter of Petrol was around #1.95K,
IBB told us that fuel was being subsidized and that he needed to remove the "subsidy" as part of the IMF/SAP conditionalities and to improve infrastructure in the Oil industry.

2.) He again removed "subsidy" two more times till it reached about #10; about 500% increase, (where and how "subsidy" crept back on the price again, after each removal, still beats me till date) before stepping aside after 8yrs and 9months in power.

He removed the Subsidy but we never saw the infrastructure or where the money went (Even the $2.8Bilion Gulf war windfall disappeared!)
What does that tell you about "subsidy removal"?

3.) Obasanjo (OBJ) as a civilian President, also removed fuel subsidy "7 Times" in his 8years in power. He did about 600% increase during his tenure.
Each time he wanted to arbitrarily increase the pump price of petrol, we get this same argument: We need the money to build Refineries, to help the common man and we cannot continue to waste money on subsidizing fuel.

Again, where is all the "saved subsidy" that accrued from the seven-times fuel price increases under OBJ?
Did he build any refineries? NO
Did he improve infrastructures? NO
Did he enrich himself and his cronies? YES
Did he impoverish the poor masses as Price of commodities rose astronomically, like they did under IBB's Structural adjustment program? YES

WHO PAID THE PRICE? THE CITIZENS!

Did we as citizens of Nigeria gain anything from these unending fuel subsidy removal? NO

Today, both Presidents are "Billionaires" in both local and foreign currencies.

Now, some of us are too young, to immature or too foolish to comprehend the ramifications of "removal of fuel subsidy" (if there was ever one, it was created in the minds of our leaders to give the impression that we are being spoon-fed).

Thus, it is more "reasonable" to predict the future, from the past, than to assume (based on zero evidence), that the future will be radically different from the past!
Based on past evidence,  l can boldly say that "This removal is another excuse to impoverish already poverty stricken Nigerians (and partly to extract back, that "Minimum Wage increase" from their pockets) and create a "Pool of funds" for the current Government Politicians to steal.

They are simply saying "its pay-back time": We need money to steal.

I tell you, Nigerian leaders are wicked and evil to the core.
Otherwise, they would ask themselves: Who will suffer the consequences of this fuel increase?
a) Poor Parents and their children who will have to face astronomical increase in everyday purchases (Food, transport, Clothing, Energy, Cost of Medicines and about anything that is "transported".) In summary, their life expectancy will be further shortened!

The "few" rich can afford it, even if you increase it to #1000/Liter

Who will Benefit from the increase?
a) those in Power (Politicians)
b) Those "Mafia" at the NNPC and their "Marketers" who buy fuel from our local Refinery and the "Round-trip" it on a Barge on the high-Sea and bring it back in as "imported fuel" so that they can collect "subsidy" on it.
It is sheer corruption and the more you increase the price of fuel (subsidy removal), the more attractive this criminal business becomes for them 'cos, it means more profit!
The government knows these saboteurs but would rather punish the "poor masses" for the sins of these criminals!

So, if you think removing the subsidy increasing the price of fuel will remove these criminals, you definitely need to go see a Shrink-head!
Dont forget we produce this fuel in Nigeria!
It does not take 2yrs to build a refinery (How come IBB, OBJ, Yar Adua or GEJ has never built one in over 25years combined?)

May God Save Nigerians from "man's inhumanity to man". Yes, the inhumanity of our Leaders and the "docility" of the citizens

Lastpage.

BTW: I have gone this far, to give a short historical perspective of "fuel subsidy" and why this subsidy removal is just  rehash of the "same old story". MORE POVERTY FOR THE MASSES, MORE BILLIONS TO STEAL FOR THE PRIVILEGED!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by lastpage: 2:25am On Oct 11, 2011
Thanks very much, "Best Dad". Just saw ur Post now.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by IIKOTECH(m): 3:06am On Oct 11, 2011
@PointB

Why can't those contractors that are benefiting from this subsidy
be exposed and tried? The only thing from the federal government
that is beneficial to the poor masses is this subsidy and now you
want to take it away from them. HABA how will the a poor man succeed
in this our hash economic environment. Nigerians voted you there and
majority of them are saying no to subsidy removal.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Briareos(m): 3:21am On Oct 11, 2011
I was vehemently against the subsidy removal until I read some people opinion here. Right now, I honestly don't know what to think anymore. Because:

If truly some few people are the ones benefiting from the subsidy, then, I'll support the removal. But what will happen to the 'money' removed? Won't it enters the bottomless pocket of our politicians? We can endure the pang of the removal of the subsidy ONLY if we are confident that the money will used to carry out projects that will benefit everyone.

But the chance of that happening is slim. These politians will draw their calculators and divide the money among themselves. You know, as usual.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by otokx(m): 3:22am On Oct 11, 2011
people living in Nigeria know the suffering we go through everyday, things are really bad and to make it worse is a call for anarchy.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by texazz: 6:18am On Oct 11, 2011
When they disbursed the money in the excess crude account to the Governors, the excuse was that that money would be used for development and improved infrastructure.
All that happened was that the money ended up in the gullets of a corrupt few or was used to fuel re-election campaigns.

Now some people here (even after seeing this mournful analogy/example) still believe that removing subsidy will translate into development?!

Please remember the definition of insanity (doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results). Isn't anyone who thinks that the so-called savings will be used properly an insane person?
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by wireless05: 7:16am On Oct 11, 2011
Anyone who thinks the government will spend the money realized from subsidy is only making a mistake.

The government is not interested in you and I. Do you know how much have been spent on turnaround maintenance for the nations refineries in the last decade. How comes they are all operating below 50%?

If they really meant for the refineries to work at optimal capacity, they can achieve it. Its not rocket science.

Total installed capacity is 445,000 bpd which is well over the 30million litres required for local consumption.

The government is not sincere, when they stop stealing money they can implement policies.

So guys stop insulting each other, rather lets understand ourselves and how this country operates.

How can only 4 govs steal over N150b. Isnt that half of the subsidy
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason2010(m): 7:17am On Oct 11, 2011
I see a patern here. Most of these folks that keep calling for the removal of the fuel subsidy do not even reside or have not been to Nigeria in a long time. These folks are disconnected as far as the issues that the average Nigerians has to deal with on a daily basis  They are looking at this fuel subsidy issue from a western (or non Nigerian) stand point, where every all the necessary infrastructures and refineries are in place. Some are also looking at it from what they learned in business school. And I totally understand that having lived 15 years in the US myself. How do you expect somebody that has been in the US or UK or anywhere that ain’t 9ja for over a decade to understand the possible hardships that the average Nigerian is gonna face once the subsidy is removed. I even read in an earlier post where somebody says that the corruption in the 9grian government is exaggerated. You got a guy in the ministry that places a six month salary of his entire Nigerian staff in fixed deposit accounts, and you telling me that the corruption is exaggerated? It is pointless debating this fuel subsidy with some of these folks that don’t live here. You will hardly see a Nigerian living in 9ja that is calling for the removal of the subsidy now.

Two days ago, an American buddy of mine also had the nerve to tell me that the Naira need to be devalued, and that the market should determine the price against usd. He failed to realize that one state governor can easily buy up all the dollar with looted state money, thereby creating scarcity of the dollar and causing the price the skyrocket. Typical example of a fella that is disconnected from what we face here in Nigeria.

Make una try come home first and see things from our point of view before una post on these issues
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by bdman: 7:25am On Oct 11, 2011
even if they remove the subsidy they no go used am 4 better tin no be dis 9ja. the subsidy should not be remove
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by hardbody: 7:32am On Oct 11, 2011
With the level of traffic i have been experiencing in the past few weeks in Lag owing to all manner of junk cars being put on the road, I VERILY SUBSCRIBE that fuel pump price should be jerked up to N500. That way, some of these cars will not come out to join in the traffic madness. You think i am selfish, yes. I am human and we all have selfish tendencies.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason2010(m): 7:36am On Oct 11, 2011
hardbody:

With the level of traffic i have been experiencing in the past few weeks in Lag owing to all manner of junk cars being put on the road, I VERILY SUBSCRIBE that fuel pump price should be jerked up to N500. That way, some of these cars will not come out to join in the traffic madness. You think i am selfish, yes. I am human and we all have selfish tendencies.

grin grin grin grin Na wao
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by jason123: 7:54am On Oct 11, 2011
wireless05:

Anyone who thinks the government will spend the money realized from subsidy is only making a mistake.

The government is not interested in you and I. Do you know how much have been spent on turnaround maintenance for the nations refineries in the last decade. How comes they are all operating below 50%?

If they really meant for the refineries to work at optimal capacity, they can achieve it. Its not rocket science.

Total installed capacity is 445,000 bpd which is well over the 30million litres required for local consumption.

The government is not sincere, when they stop stealing money they can implement policies.

So guys stop insulting each other, rather lets understand ourselves and how this country operates.

How can only 4 govs steal over N150b. Isnt that half of the subsidy
bdman:

even if they remove the subsidy they no go used am 4 better tin no be dis 9ja. the subsidy should not be remove
jason2010:

[b]I see a patern here. Most of these folks that keep calling for the removal of the fuel subsidy do not even reside or have not been to Nigeria in a long time. These folks are disconnected as far as the issues that the average Nigerians has to deal with on a daily basis  They are looking at this fuel subsidy issue from a western (or non Nigerian) stand point, where every all the necessary infrastructures and refineries are in place. Some are also looking at it from what they learned in business school. And I totally understand that having lived 15 years in the US myself. How do you expect somebody that has been in the US or UK or anywhere that ain’t 9ja for over a decade to understand the possible hardships that the average Nigerian is gonna face once the subsidy is removed. I even read in an earlier post where somebody says that the corruption in the 9grian government is exaggerated. You got a guy in the ministry that places a six month salary of his entire Nigerian staff in fixed deposit accounts, and you telling me that the corruption is exaggerated? It is pointless debating this fuel subsidy with some of these folks that don’t live here. You will hardly see a Nigerian living in 9ja that is calling for the removal of the subsidy now.[/b]

Two days ago, an American buddy of mine also had the nerve to tell me that the Naira need to be devalued, and that the market should determine the price against usd. He failed to realize that one state governor can easily buy up all the dollar with looted state money, thereby creating scarcity of the dollar and causing the price the skyrocket. Typical example of a fella that is disconnected from what we face here in Nigeria.

Make una try come home first and see things from our point of view before una post on these issues

@the highighted

Una understand, the issue WELL WELL!!!!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by fxtopedia(m): 7:55am On Oct 11, 2011
hardbody:

And who told you, you will be able to pay the same amount of money by next year?
Empty barren making noise here,
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by abusol: 8:16am On Oct 11, 2011
I hope this evil man and his prime minister okonjo will not do it, Great revolution that will follow will consume him, let him publish NNPC AUDIT REport if he has the mind, Any Nation that rules on luck will fail,,Siasia did he fail likewise this man will fail if he goes ahead to remove the fuel subsidy,
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Kx: 8:27am On Oct 11, 2011
Ilekokonit:

Petrol Sells For N5 Per Litre In Venezuela
10. Algeria: Algiers — 20p per litre
9. Oman: Muscat — 20p per litre
8. Egypt: Cairo — 19p per litre
7. Qatar: Doha — 15p per litre
6. Kuwait: Kuwait City — 14p per litre
5. Bahrain: Manama — 13p per litre
4. Turkmenistan: Ashgabat — 12p per litre
3. Libya: Tripoli — 9p per litre
2. Saudi Arabia: Riyadh — 8p per litre
Prices are kept low thanks to subsidies from the country's left-wing government.
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-cheapest-petrol-world-yahoofinanceuk-978605645.html
Venezuela has not increased their Petrol prices in the last 20 years
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-370643.0.html
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by koolman: 8:35am On Oct 11, 2011
PointB or what ever name you call yourself.the current leaders of this country are cursed.No one is planning to invest any thing in this country or improve the living conditions of Nigerians.They only want to remove subsidy to punish Nigerians and then have more money to steal.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by anataala: 8:57am On Oct 11, 2011
@point b i think you are ignorant of what is happening to our neighboring countries by saying some people are smuggling the products, in case u forget Niger,Cameroon, Chad, Ghana and so on have crude oil in their respected countries and they are refining it in their country and recently Niger republic is offering refine products from their single refinery if we are interested, infant even power (electricity) Niger that we are selling before are ready to supply us. we strongly condemn subsidy removal in strong terms. useless government with no vision for Nigerians.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by mustspin: 9:20am On Oct 11, 2011
to those in support of the subsidy;
the money goes into the marketers pocket or the corrupt politicians, whats the difference?
i think you are in support of the removal because you know you can adjust perfectly afterall you can afford a computer and internet connection. but pls think of the over 20% nigerians that are unemployed and the over 50% that live on less than $2 in a day. how are they suppose to survive knowing that every aspect of the nigerian life rallies round the fuel(transportation, electricity, even businesses). let them raise fund through debt and put infastructures in place then dey can remove subsidy to do the repayment
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by AlanF100: 9:21am On Oct 11, 2011
alj_harem:

Don't mind the young boy, he is staying in america and yet telling us Nigerians that "we have to adjust"

Even if the subsidy is removed today, does that grantee that the funds used for the subsidy would be diverted to build schools, hospitals, roads etc. NO

Sometimes I really hate talking about Nigeria to People living abroad. It makes me hate Nigeria at times with the way they thing at times, very heartless people they can be

I stronglly believe Beaf = PointB and he leaves in Nigeria. Begging him to advise GEJ against the planned subsidy removal is a waste of time because that is completelly outside his purview. He was recruited to DEFEND GEJ/PDP ONLY and nothing more or less.

While subsidy removal is not an absolutelly bad idea but history has thought us that it always leaves us worse than we were and makes the rich richer. Whatever possible gains accruable from subsidy removal (as being pontificated by Economic pedants) is not applicable to poor Nigerians.
You can not shy away from corruption by the rich (past and present) and prioritise policies that make the poor poorer.
It time for us to start organising ourselves in groups. We all need to support Labour Unions and be ready to fight the though battle against the rich.
For all they care, we can all go to hell, as long as their households lack nothing.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 11, 2011
@lastpage and bestdad

You people have posted the most sensible comments here on this thread. Well done sirs!

As for pointb and his ilk, who have come here to give us classroom economics, sorry enh. This is the real world. Come and live in Nigeria for 3 months and you will have a change of heart. Stop all these hypotheses and conjectures that sound like something out of a classroom assignment. If the govt doesnt subsidize fuel, what would they subsidize?
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by mathskill: 10:27am On Oct 11, 2011
Those calling for the removal of fuel subsidy are simply disconnected from the day to day realities ordinary improvished nigerians are facing.It will make poor nigerians fall deeper into the abyss called poverty.They are struggling to feed,provide shelter,health and quality education for their families on the meagre earnings they get and yet some call for the removal of fuel subsidy without providing the neccessary infrastructure that  will absorb the shock of the increament i.e uninterrupted power supply so they wont buy fuel for gen sets,train services that will replace car's cause most wont be able to maintain cars at 10,000 to fill a tank,public schools that are well funded ,hospital's that have all the facilities etc.If the infrastructure above isn't provided and subsidy is removed the result would be the continuation of the cycle of poverty.So if what  alj-harem   says is true beaf pls tell mr president that he should pity the masses and not remove fuel subsidy.
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by edicolove: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2011
It is very easy to post sentiments and get a band wagon effect of people hailing you as sensible. But that still will not make the sentiments fact. Even adding insults to your post and doing a lot of name calling will not make it fact. The facts are simple.

1. There is fuel subsidy in Nigeria and it was started by the military. It was a wrong solution to a serious problem. It was a political quick fix. We are still suffering from it till date.
2. The masses does not benefit from fuel subsidy. Fuel subsidy benefits the fuel importers and marketers. Buying fuel at a rate cheaper than what obtains abroad is not a benefit if he money that is used to provide the fuel at that rate is money that should have been used to build roads, hospitals, schools, etc. Some of you talk like the money that will be accrued from the removal of subsidy will automatically go into the presidents pocket. These money will be shared across all tiers of government to enhance development. So even state like Lagos and the rest o the south west will have increased allocations.
3. The money the FG pays as fuel subsidy is not free money. It is money meant for other aspects of the economy/society. There is nothing like free money in economics. One mans gain is another mans loss. Basic economics.
4. The contractors importing fuel are not committing fraud as some try to paint. They are only doing business. The system provides them with the loophole to exploit and they are doing just that. Technically, they are on point. They are not breaking any laws. The only way to check them is not to give them that loophole in the first place.
5. The whole problem is Nigeria is the government handout mentality that most of you show in your posts. This government "handout" mentality is what is killing the country. Corruption trives because of this mentality. Some of you just blab all day about corruption without having a clue of how corruption really works. You think politicians just walk up to government and collect ghana must go bags or what? If that is your reasoning, then you are way off. Corruption thrives because of the government "handout" mentality many of you have.
6. You say government should just cover the loopholes. Some of you know how to issue commands to government without a clue of our to run anything. Why has US with all her might not been able to block the mexican border? You definitely have no clue. It is very easy to sit in front of your laptop and criticize. As long as there is subsidy, there will be smuggling of fuel across the borders. Why? Simple. Buy fuel at very cheap price in Nigeria, drive across the border to chad or cameroun or somewhere else and sell at the normal international price. Cool cash. That was the major reason for fuel scarcity for many years. Can the government stop it. Not at all. They can try their best and reduce it, but they can never stop it just like the US cannot stop smuggling of drugs and people across its borders. Even with their drones.
7. Fuel subsidy is one of the evils that have lingered for a long time in Nigeria and it must come to an end. But the fact is, for government to stop it, they must put certain things in place.

a. They must get the refineries working at a reasonable capacity and producing enough fuel to satisfy the country's need.
b. They must make power available. At least on an 18 hours per day nationwide level to start with.
c. They must get agriculture off the ground with food prices down to very cheap levels so the effects of subsidy removal will be minimal.

The assumption that once subsidy is removed, fuel will sell at N142 is false. In a deregulated market, fuel prices will be based on market forces. The key is for our refineries to work at full capacity. With our refineries working at full capacity, we can have competitive pricing and fuel can sell for as low as N80. That is why I stressed that the refineries must work and must be upgraded. This is what obtains in other oil producing countries. They do not subsidies the products for their citizens, rather, they produce and refine enough quantities for their countries so the prices are down in those countries. Please it is important that if we love our country, we stay objective and find solutions through dialogue. Not propagating sentimental opinions as facts and name calling with a view to bullying others into accepting our assumptions. I respect beef a lot because he has shunned this thread because the @op has shown he is not serious about discussing Nigeria. He just wants to ridicule beef. That is not how we will improve the country. We must take these issues serious and find ways to help our country not make fun of our travails. God bless Nigeria
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by lanrefront1(m): 11:15am On Oct 11, 2011
xxxxxx
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by PointB: 11:23am On Oct 11, 2011
Interesting. Some of you have fallen for Alj Harem ploy to twist the tread around me, and make it look like I was the one that proposed the removal of subsidy in the first place. Secondly, the issue of where I live or not is purely academic speculation. Personally, I enjoy the speculations, and would definitely do noting to douse it other than say, I am more Nigerian than many of you that are posting, or attacking my person, heeding the clarion call of the discredited Ahj Harem.
So we can either continue to rake and rave at PointB, or deal with the issue at hand.

Now back to the issue at hand. I personally think it is mischievous to think or pretend that the issue of deregulation of the pump price (or downstream sector) as it sometimes called is a recently muted idea. Many of the past president muted the idea, and eventually let it go. Furthermore, the past presidents (delibrately) refused to fix the oil refinery, and some of them became Petroleum Ministers. Have we ever bothered to ask, why?

My unconfirmed theory is that, it is very sweet to import refined petroleum. Present a couple of authentic looking paper to the power that be, grease a few palms here and there, and you are paid for oil you did not import. There is a very good possibility over-quoting, etc and different layers of fraud, that even forensic examiners will find it difficult to pin point. I tell you this, not because I know, but simply because, it is highly possible.

Now a sincere government might invest so much time and energy trying to plug the loopholes, and cage this fraudsters. but such a highly sophisticated fraud machine will fight back. Including using sentiments, fears, willing and unwilling tool like Alj Harem to fight back, and maintain the status quo. Honestly, every petroleum 'importer/marketer' will do everything in their power to frustrate this attack on their easy money. Let us not allow ourselves to be used as an excuse to continue to enrich other private citizens, who could care less about you. If it is easy to simply eliminate fraud and continue subsidy, that would have the case since Abacha, Obj. These presidents simply enjoyed the 'benefit' of the fraudulent practice, and enriched themselves, when they could not stop the oil mafia. I am wont to say we are lucky to have a president who does not want to 'enjoy' easy money.

Someone mention [b]Ghana [/b]as oil producer. As a matter of fact, Ghana has started producing oil, but their refining capacity at Tema Oil Refinery is next to none existent. Ghana imports both crude and refined oil. In some instances, either there is no crude oil for the refinery to process: http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2011/09/06/tema-oil-refinery-shuts-main-unit-runs-out-of-crude-report/ - Sept 9, 2011 or their Refinery cannot refine their own crude oil - http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=208228 Even at this the current President of Ghana against earlier campaign promise successfully removed subsidy in Ghana. Ghana is not even as wealthy as Nigeria, in terms of wages and others.

So please, leave Ghana out this, let's face our country - Nigeria. Many of Nigerians are paying beyond 200/liter even without deregulation, I am sure they will be happy to pay less, when artificial scarcity is caused by 'paper' import is dealt with. Nigerian government has not built a refinery in several years, I dont see them building any today, especially in the new era of privatization. We can either continue to allow a few people to benefit from our collective commonwealth, or continue to bury our head in the sand of excuse. Again some of you that have decide to adopt little mind about the issue, by wrapping it around me, quit wasting your energy, I am just a single Nigerian saying, if Ghana can survive without subsidy, Nigeria will thrive!
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by lanrefront1(m): 11:34am On Oct 11, 2011
You guys saying the subsidy should be removed because some few individuals are benefiting from it are narrow minded and cannot even exercise your brain and if asked you'll say you are brilliant young men.

Are you saying in order to stop a few hundreds of government people and their friends from enjoying the proceeds of a corrupt set-up, the whole masses should be thrown into unbearable sufferings? It's totally senseless. Do not be deceived, this not in the interest of the masses. The governors have been looking for ways to achieve this for a long time now, so they can have more money throw around for their private purposes.

Why can't vibrant Nigerian youths demand of their leaders, if they think subsidy is inimical to the economy of the nation, they should find a way to remove the subsidy while the price of fuel remains as it is.

I can already hear some people say that's not possible. You see that's why we will continue to suffer: because Nigerians are so silly to be believing the lies of a corrupt party whose only interest is to enrich themselves.

Ask yourself a simple basic question: why did the need for subsidy ever had to arise in the 1st place, afterall, we are the sixth largest producer of the petroleum on the planet. It is because goverment allowed all our refiniries to break down; probably, not even one is working; so hence the need to start importing finished products of crude oil from other countries, something we ought to be producing in our own backyard. It's was calculated deliberate act (which should now be addressed and corrected if this administeration is any different)

So what should responsible President, who is determined to improve the lot of his people, who has a clue on what leadership means, who has a mind of his own do. Of a truth I tell you, if Rochas Okorachas or even Buhari is the President, upon being sworn in, he would have immediately directed , and set the necessary machinery in motion, that within 9 months, all the refineries must start working. He would even go ahead to see how new ones can be built within 18 months.

Of a truth I tell you, even before the new ones are commissioned, once the old ones start working, there would no need for subsidy and no need to increase the price of fuel. Infact in a sincere government, the prices would gradually come down.

Why can't we demand this of our goverment. Why are we so determined to continue to suffer, helping our leaders to find excuses to continue to punish us.

OBJ spent many billions(cant remember the figures now, those who know it can chip in) for the so called turn-around-maintainance of the refineries yet the refineries are still comatose. I remember then watching a programme on TV (can't remember the channel now). Some Experts who were Nigerians based in the US authoritatively said, the amount spent so far on trying to repair the refineries is enough to build a set of new ones from the scratch.

Who has bewitched you people? Ask yourself, why is noone in goverment, including the committee of state governors who were shown on the news proffering all sorts of justifications for subsidy removal; why is not a single person talking about the option of setting a deadline for making the refineries work
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 11, 2011
let retardeen do what he likes

we shall begin to enjoy our "Fresh air" with tears
after we begged Nigerians that the man had no vision or purpose he brought Madam IMF to come and theorize and use Nigeria as an example of her world bank project

Suffer? we never even start

By the time Dundee will finish with us
we no go even talk again

subsidy?remove am wetin concern me?
Nigeria na their dustbin make them do wetin them wan do with am
i am so sick of this country,everyday we just get worse
pOSTER begging Beaf or who the heck!
Na only beg u go do lol
u never start
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 11, 2011
if una like make una write book on how una want Nigeria (a country that produces only oil and has zero manufacturing capabilities,where People live on barely one dollar a day and how everything is related to PMS,the effect will cause a ripple to everything even pure water)will survive , everything will cost triple the amount and 70 percent of Nigerians are earning barely 20,000

and the economist will be claiming Harvard, I swear some times u can be so smart u become stupid
Re: An Open Informal Letter To Beaf On Fuel Subsidy by edicolove: 11:55am On Oct 11, 2011
ehie:

let retardeen do what he likes

we shall begin to enjoy our "Fresh air" with tears
after we begged Nigerians that the man had no vision or purpose he brought Madam IMF to come and theorize and use Nigeria as an example of her world bank project

Suffer? we never even start

By the time Dundee will finish with us
we no go even talk again

subsidy?remove am wetin concern me?
Nigeria na their dustbin make them do wetin them wan do with am
i am so sick of this country,everyday we just get worse
pOSTER begging Beaf or who the heck!
Na only beg u go do lol
u never start

Posts like these make me sad about Nigeria. Absolutely ignorance on rampage. And you will think you are making sense. Please address the issues if you have any knowledge. Stop spewing bile and bitterness just because your candidate did not win the election. It is past campaign time. Cant you see that?

Secondly, It is funny how some claim here that the reason GEJ wants subsidy out is because he is going to benefit from the removal. Tell me which one is easier, to connive with the oil importers and siphon the country or to allow the money into the countries accounts and siphon the country?

It is obvious that keeping subsidy will benefit GEJ more than removing it. It is much easier for him to grant his associates import license and loot monies than for him to allow the money back into the system and loot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marble And Tile Business Gives Money Most.start Now With No Capital / Fire Outbreak At Access Bank Akungba, Ondo State (Photo) / BUA Signs Deal With Turkish Firm To Build 2400TPD Flour Mills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.