Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,307 members, 7,836,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder (34646 Views)

Liberia Deports Four Nigerians 10 Years After Bank Robbery Conviction / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:52am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:
So Botswana even has more jobs posted than Nigeria? shocked The first job ad I saw on LinkedIn Nigeria had almost 100 applicants within three days. The ones in Brazil had zero applicants! More than a quarter of a million available jobs, yet people no dey apply sef.
9ja population should be taken into account though, We Nigerians are very resilient and up front, imagine a young me in Uni still 99 taking up Jobs at both Thales Uk and Ultra electronics. If not for both CTC and MOD clearance Who knows what might have turned out now!
Dnt ever underestimate Nigerians when it comes to hustling and job ethics. I as a single person was leading a strong group of 20 Engineers in Brazil upgrading rail infrastructure! including Chinese as well.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Gerrard59(m): 4:53am On Aug 04, 2023
yewit37486:

That guy is a very uncouth frustrated human being. People like that are best ignored.

If you like keep lying, I would be here to prove you people wrong. You people lie way too much on a public forum. How can someone lie that Brazilians are climbing into Mexico via the borders, yet the same Brazil has less than 20% visa refusal rate as adjudged by the US embassy?! Who should random people on the Internet believe?

Bloody liars!!!! Una go siddon for America dey dissuade young African youths from emigrating to countries that are better off than all black African countries. Return to black Africa? Mbanu!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Gerrard59(m): 4:57am On Aug 04, 2023
erico2k2:

9ja population should be taken into account though, We Nigerians are very resilient and up front, imagine a young me in Uni still 99 taking up Jobs at both Thales Uk and Ultra electronics. If not for both CTC and MOD clearance Who knows what might have turned out now!
Dnt ever underestimate Nigerians when it comes to hustling and job ethics. I as a single person was leading a strong group of 20 Engineers in Brazil upgrading rail infrastructure! including Chinese as well.

Thus, Nigeria is better off than Brazil, right? Remember both have similar populations o. If with the high work ethic and hustling spirit, how come Nigeria has fewer jobs than Brazil? Is it hustling that creates economic opportunities? How come Nigerians are not big time entrepreneurs in the UK just as Indians since we hustle too well? How come the first thing Nigerians do having relocated is to look for jobs rather than hustle? Which African country with a population of at least 20 million has more jobs than Brazil?

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:59am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Kindly mention the countries in Black Africa that are better off than Brazil. Strictly based on economy and infrastructure. So facts from LinkedIn that anyone with the requisite skill can apply is pulling facts from the air?! So, since you know better than everyone here, show us your undisputed facts which are extracted from the ground since LinkedIn is in the air.
I see you say Black Africa, why restrict it to black Africa and is South Africa no longer black Africa? Why don't you just say Africa, cos if you are going by colour then we might as well say Black Brazilians then. Bross long answer to your question, Home is where you make it,I as a person prefer Nigeria to Brazil. Call me ignorant fine, call meill exposed I nor run, But one thing I can tell you is this, Russians are not stupid to expand its wing to Black Africa.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 5:01am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Thus, Nigeria is better off than Brazil, right? Remember both have similar populations o. If with the high work ethic and hustling spirit, how come Nigeria has fewer jobs than Brazil? Is it hustling that creates economic opportunities? How come Nigerians are not big time entrepreneurs in the UK just as Indians since we hustle too well? How come the first thing Nigerians do having relocated is to look for jobs rather than hustle? Which African country with a population of at least 20 million has more jobs than Brazil?
Nigerians have fewer jobs cos they can't be bothered to post jobs on there. Digital age is not yet fully utilised in Nigeria. So I think its unfair to use that as a yardstick.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 5:03am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

If you like keep lying, I would be here to prove you people wrong. You people lie way too much on a public forum. How can someone lie that Brazilians are climbing into Mexico via the borders, yet the same Brazil has less than 20% visa refusal rate as adjudged by the US embassy?! Who should random people on the Internet believe?

Bloody liars!!!! Una go siddon for America dey dissuade young African youths from emigrating to countries that are better off than all black African countries. Return to black Africa? Mbanu!
Bross calm down nah so some people dey call people from Philippines oyibo that year.If you are going to spend that huge sum of cash better go to a country that will make you be super-fast if not go to farm in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tiswell(m): 5:21am On Aug 04, 2023
spinna:
Imagine all that stress for racist and violent Brazil.
you haven't been nor lived in brasil

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Gerrard59(m): 5:25am On Aug 04, 2023
erico2k2:

I see you say Black Africa, why restrict it to black Africa and is South Africa no longer black Africa? Why don't you just say Africa, cos if you are going by colour then we might as well say Black Brazilians then. Bross long answer to your question, Home is where you make it,I as a person prefer Nigeria to Brazil. Call me ignorant fine, call meill exposed I nor run, But one thing I can tell you is this, Russians are not stupid to expand its wing to Black Africa.

I said maybe, just because that is the only country in sub-Saharan Africa that is better off than Nigeria. I don't consider North African countries to be "African". They don't see us as Africans, and I respect that. I am not related in any way to an Egyptian or Moroccan. Here in Japan, if I am walking and I see a black person, whether from Brazil or Guyana, we can easily relate. A Tunisian will not greet me or give me the black nod. So, why should they be seen as Africans? Asians consider every black person to be an African until the passport is shown. They see Moroccans and others as Arabs, and rightfully so.

I am not saying you are ignorant. I am saying Brazil is better off than almost every black African country except maybe South Africa strictly on the availability of jobs, economic opportunities and strength of the passport. The passport gives stability and options, especially as one gets older.

erico2k2:

Bross calm down nah so some people dey call people from Philippines oyibo that year.If you are going to spend that huge sum of cash better go to a country that will make you be super-fast if not go to farm in Nigeria.

My problem is the lies. These people lie too much and brazenly at that on a public forum. I don't like dishonest people. Philippines is not worth it. It is ignorance that makes Nigerians see every white person as oyibo. It is better to spend money migrating to Brazil than most Asian countries except South Korea and Japan. China is for those with well-established business interests. India is a no no for young Africans looking for jobs. Singapore is too elite. Most importantly, it is pointless moving to a place where people spend their youth for a pittance and no assurance of getting a stronger passport. Singapore offers high salaries but no assurance of getting the passport. So better Brazil for someone who is not a top candidate. Better Peru than the UAE for a semi-skilled or unskilled person. Better Argentina than most countries in black Africa. People have to be strategic and pragmatic rather than dogmatic.

Western countries including Australia and New Zealand are great, but the routes are either too expensive, stringent and/or getting more complicated. In 2018, getting a visa to Poland was very fast. Today, it is almost impossible. In 2015, people entered Germany for studies immediately they could secure block accounts and admission. Today, they have to wait for more than a year before being called upon for an interview - not a guarantee the visa would be issued. That same period would have been used to learn Portuguese or Spanish and move to South America.

I do agree that for most black Africans having relocated at an adult age, home is fresh in their minds. But we are talking of economics here. If the economies in black Africa were pretty OK and jobs were available, people would not relocate. Chileans have an open door to the US labour market, yet they are not interested because Chile is OK. No African country enjoys that. Getting a date for a non-immigrant visa at the US embassy in Lagos takes almost a year.

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by sageb: 6:02am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

I said maybe, just because that is the only country in sub-Saharan Africa that is better off than Nigeria. I don't consider North African countries to be "African". They don't see us as Africans, and I respect that. I am not related in any way to an Egyptian or Moroccan. Here in Japan, if I am walking and I see a black person, whether from Brazil or Guyana, we can easily relate. A Tunisian will not greet me or give me the black nod. So, why should they be seen as Africans? Asians consider every black person to be an African until the passport is shown. They see Moroccans and others as Arabs, and rightfully so.

I am not saying you are ignorant. I am saying Brazil is better off than almost every black African country except maybe South Africa strictly on the availability of jobs, economic opportunities and strength of the passport. The passport gives stability and options, especially as one gets older.

My problem is the lies. These people lie too much and brazenly at that on a public forum. I don't like dishonest people. Philippines is not worth it. It is ignorance that makes Nigerians see every white person as oyibo. It is better to spend money migrating to Brazil than most Asian countries except South Korea and Japan. China is for those with well-established business interests. India is a no no for young Africans looking for jobs. Singapore is too elite. Most importantly, it is pointless moving to a place where people spend their youth for a pittance and no assurance of getting a stronger passport. Singapore offers high salaries but no assurance of getting the passport. So better Brazil for someone who is not a top candidate. Better Peru than the UAE for a semi-skilled or unskilled person. Better Argentina than most countries in black Africa. People have to be strategic and pragmatic rather than dogmatic.

Western countries including Australia and New Zealand are great, but the routes are either too expensive, stringent and/or getting more complicated. In 2018, getting a visa to Poland was very fast. Today, it is almost impossible. In 2015, people entered Germany for studies immediately they could secure block accounts and admission. Today, they have to wait for more than a year before being called upon for an interview - not a guarantee the visa would be issued. That same period would have been used to learn Portuguese or Spanish and move to South America.

I do agree that for most black Africans having relocated at an adult age, home is fresh in their minds. But we are talking of economics here. If the economies in black Africa were pretty OK and jobs were available, people would not relocate. Chileans have an open door to the US labour market, yet they are not interested because Chile is OK. No African country enjoys that. Getting a date for a non-immigrant visa at the US embassy in Lagos takes almost a year.

Argentina? but they don't like blacks na?
Elucidate about Scholarship opportunities in Peru for Postgraduate study
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Nobody: 6:10am On Aug 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa

It's not heaven. Brazil has a good economy no doubt. But the crime rate there is very very high. I have lived there for 2 years before

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Revolva(m): 6:22am On Aug 04, 2023
one thing about stowing away is you dont really know the final destination of the ship , you fit hide for ship engine and las las e end up in Gabon...lol meanwhile your aim may be Europe or America
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I don't know about this but I know that getting a US visa from Brazil is very easy. The rejection rates are very low. So why would anyone want to move to mexico and get into the US illegally except the person is doing something illegal like drugs or human trafficking.

Sometimes the way u guys talk in this forum makes it look like you aren't enlightened!!! You know very well that if youre moving to another country legally you must meet some criteria before visa is given to you. Its only if that country is veisa free then they have easy passage.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Pedyson: 6:38am On Aug 04, 2023
The major factors is Nigerian Government policies😢
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Blackdisciple(m): 7:13am On Aug 04, 2023
Hmmm those are the citizens of acclaimed giant of Africa running away from their country just because the government of that country don't care about her people what a pity.. cry
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Regex: 7:24am On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Yes, even on tourist visa (assuming it's approved), an average West African will be throughly questioned at the Botswana airport. Namibia and Botswana have freakingly high unemployment rates. Check their job boards, the most recent jobs are three weeks old. That's not so on LinkedIn Brazil and Mexico.

People should judge countries by the size of their economies and availability of jobs using LinkedIn. Brazil is better off than any country in black Africa for a university educated black African who is willing to learn Portuguese.

I see. Thanks for the information. Although I'm not ready to tour Africa as I am still touring Europe.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Gerrard59(m): 7:38am On Aug 04, 2023
sageb:

Argentina? but they don't like blacks na?
Elucidate about Scholarship opportunities in Peru for Postgraduate study

Black people don't like themselves.

Please search Google regarding scholarships in Peru.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Kojiek03(m): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2023
spinna:
Imagine all that stress for racist and violent Brazil.
Brazilians are not racist. Brazil is a mixed race nation.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Exceed15: 11:43am On Aug 04, 2023
There's no hopeless situation if we hope in God.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by DirkCross(m): 12:01pm On Aug 04, 2023
Very crazy act, I hope these guys get a chance to stay in Brazil without deportation, I wish these guys reach their original goal! May all be well
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by spinna: 5:03pm On Aug 04, 2023
Kojiek03:

Brazilians are not racist. Brazil is a mixed race nation.
Have they ever had a black pres
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by zoedew: 8:16pm On Aug 04, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

The misgovernance of Nigeria by incompetent and corrupt leaders should highlighted.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Ijeamaka1: 8:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

You said it all
I moved to Brazil with my wife and son , we also had another child in brazil, currently we have all naturalized all within less than 4years
People keep wasting their time in Europe and north america with no easy route to naturalize ,some fall out of status and are put up for deportation , mortgaged and wasted years

Y’all keep comparing crime rate while I enjoy my blue Passport visa free benefits with my family grin grin

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Tundex911: 11:45pm On Aug 04, 2023
Na this kind people suppose dey get Guinness world record
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Stevedison(m): 8:24am On Aug 05, 2023
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Celepope: 2:28pm On Aug 05, 2023
erico2k2:

The only thing be say if them get Brazilian passport they are visa fre to EU and UK
That will take some years to achieve. Because they have to go through residency route before gaining their citizenship.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 2:37pm On Aug 05, 2023
Celepope:

That will take some years to achieve. Because they have to go through residency route before gaining their citizenship.
That is true, I met a lady in Brazil who just got her right to stay in the country and it took her 11 years and for all them times she has not been to Nigeria. She got it when she gave Birth. Now she is trying for the passport. She also told me about the difficulty she faces getting her Son to go to school, this was in Sao Palo.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 2:59pm On Aug 05, 2023
Ijeamaka1:

You said it all
I moved to Brazil with my wife and son , we also had another child in brazil, currently we have all naturalized all within less than 4years
People keep wasting their time in Europe and north america with no easy route to naturalize ,some fall out of status and are put up for deportation , mortgaged and wasted years

Y’all keep comparing crime rate while I enjoy my blue Passport visa free benefits with my family grin grin
SO when did you enter Brazil and how long did it take to naturalize? I thought you were giving 10 years Visa 1st then after that you apply for Naturalization, at least this was what I was told when I was at a drink up in that popular shopping centre full of Nigerians, I can't remember the name.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Ijeamaka1: 10:55pm On Aug 05, 2023
erico2k2:

SO when did you enter Brazil and how long did it take to naturalize? I thought you were giving 10 years Visa 1st then after that you apply for Naturalization, at least this was what I was told when I was at a drink up in that popular shopping centre full of Nigerians, I can't remember the name.

You will be issued a 10year permanent resident card called RNE , normally you have to stay for 4 years before you can naturalize to become a citizen but it’s reduced to 1 year if you have a Brazilian child or you are married to a Brazilian

Boom cool then go ahead and enjoy visa free access to over 170 countries grin
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Ijeamaka1: 10:59pm On Aug 05, 2023
erico2k2:

That is true, I met a lady in Brazil who just got her right to stay in the country and it took her 11 years and for all them times she has not been to Nigeria. She got it when she gave Birth. Now she is trying for the passport. She also told me about the difficulty she faces getting her Son to go to school, this was in Sao Palo.

The only way to get RNE very fast is to have a Brazilian child or be married to a Brazilian, she did not do any one on time that is why it took her 11years to get her right to stay

My wife was already pregnant before we arrived Brazil, so the whole process was fast for me
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 11:05pm On Aug 05, 2023
Ijeamaka1:

The only way to get RNE very fast is to have a Brazilian child or be married to a Brazilian, she did not do any one on time that is why it took her 11years to get her right to stay

My wife was already pregnant before we arrived Brazil, so the whole process was fast for me
How long did it take? cos its almost same in the UK right now
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Ijeamaka1: 11:12pm On Aug 05, 2023
erico2k2:

How long did it take? cos its almost same in the UK right now

My timeline -gave birth and applied for residence the next month, was issued the card a month after I applied

Lived in Brazil for a year to fulfill the residency requirement and also learnt Portuguese which is also required

Applied for naturalization, it took a year to process

Total processing time -2 and half years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Ijeamaka1: 11:16pm On Aug 05, 2023
Goodbye to baba green grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Accident Along Benin-Asaba Expressway In Igbodo, Delta Kills 4 (Graphic Pics) / 3 Nigerians Detained For Entering India Without Documents / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.