Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder (34654 Views)

Liberia Deports Four Nigerians 10 Years After Bank Robbery Conviction / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by victory36(m): 6:12pm On Aug 03, 2023
Fmghewzy:

You cap too much 🧢🧢🧢

No one should take any travel advise from you, you already look down on Nigeria and Africa as a whole .

So your opinions are always biased.

It is bullshit to say that Brazil is better than all African countries, I am tempted to say "madness" 😤
the only African countries in the same category as Brazil are south Africa and northern African countries. The rest are all shitholes.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by seunayantokun(m): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2023
Nazgul:
Please I want to ask. The oil Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar... etc has, is the same oil we have here in Nigeria?

Cos with the kind of oil and other mineral resources we have in this country, it's almost impossible to believe that Nigeria has one of the lowest GDP per capita in the world. It's citizens are languishing in abject poverty.
because few people are stealing your commonwealth like rats do, without any fear of God in their hearts. They are selfish and inhumane.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Starzo: 6:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
Lol....same Brazil wey some people dey literally chop shat just to survive

Ignorance is truly a disease

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by nairalanda1(m): 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
erico2k2:

WORK ahahah which work?

We all can dream... smiley

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Hu2010: 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
Gerrard59:

So mention the country in Africa that is better off than Brazil?

You people just type nonsense anyhow.

1. Tunisia
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Willie2015: 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

The environment of course is not conducive for lazy folks. grin It can't be. More so, lol...do we spend dollars in Nigeria? Lol so the reason for your poverty is Agbero. Lol....you lack talent and expect things to happen without effort. cheesy

Common...
131m of folks in Nigeria ...
are classified as poor...
And yet they excel anytime one have a
chance to go abroad...
Critical thinkin should help you to understand...
that talent is available...yafun yafun..
Bt the environ is bad... grin cheesy
Why are our doctors...nurses & best hands runnin abroad....?

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by millhouse: 6:26pm On Aug 03, 2023
They deserve a National award , Guinness book of world record award .
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 6:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

The environment of course is not conducive for lazy folks. grin It can't be. More so, lol...do we spend dollars in Nigeria? Lol so the reason for your poverty is Agbero. Lol....you lack talent and expect things to happen without effort. cheesy
if you like support Emilokan from now till thy kingdom come just as you did for Buhari grin
The fact that Emilokan is from my tribe doesn't make me nor you richer. We all will buy those high cost of goods and services the same amount. They won't give you discount because you asslick them. That wouldn't stop your people from buying foodstuffs on credit at Ebuka shop. Just like we know Buhari was a failure from beginning so we know about your Emilokan.

Those guys going abroad to do odd jobs are using the money to build mansions in Nigeria and support their families. If they remain in Nigeria, they will be as useless like an average Nigerians youths. Poverty, unemployment, insecurity, hyperinflation, hunger et al are the norms in Nigeria of today. After school as a graduate, you're on your own grin

Can your people afford paying 150k Unilag fees? I mean your people that majority are suffering. Keep asslickimg your oppressors jare.

My friend abandoned his study when we're in year 3 in school and left for Libya through road. Although i tried to convince him to complete his study if at all he wanna go. He insisted, saying Afterall after school no job. He was right. He left 2020 and was given a job immediately. He started with cleaning job and he was paid 125k monthly. That is ordinary Libya o. He later got another job and he was doing 2 jobs. He was being paid in dollar though. He will be coming back home this December with nothing less than 7 million naira. He is currently better than most average Nigerian youths, he's currently better than all the 75 students in our department that graduated, he'd have ended up like every average Nigerians or a little bit better. He confirmed to me that Nigeria is cursed. Libya don't have all the resources we had yet they are far far better than Nigerians. Ordinary Libya o. He will come back to Nigeria and establish a business, then go back to school before relocating to a better and more saner country. Either USA or Canada

You need to cover your face in shame

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Abagworo(m): 6:47pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
undecided Some people are just funny. It amuses me how people are so narrow minded to see the abundant opportunities in Nigeria and utilize them efficiently. grin

It always amuses me really. Hope they are deported back to Nigeria at once. cheesy

Majority of humans aren't smart enough to tap into legitimate opportunities. Nigeria has so much opportunities for the smart to make serious fortune

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Prettychild(f): 6:48pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

I wonder why the other two want to return to Nigeria, then what’s the essence of going through that near death experience
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by planetx: 6:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa
Heaven on earth? But Brazilians make up some of the largest groups trying to enter the US illegally through the Mexican border.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by AareGaa: 6:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa

Brazil is not like Europe.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tnerro1(m): 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wow, May God never allow us to face such problems that will push us to take such an extreme action ☹️
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by planetx: 7:05pm On Aug 03, 2023
Litmus:
This is the true story below:

THREE African migrants have been found clinging to the rudder of an oil tanker after surviving 11 gruelling days at sea.

The stowaways were rescued by the Spanish coastguard in the Canary Islands yesterday, where they were rushed to hospital suffering with severe dehydration.

According to the ship-tracking website Marine Traffic, the men were onboard the oil and chemical tanker Alithini II, which departed from Lagos, Nigeria.

The men, believed to be of sub-Saharan origin, were sighted in their precarious position at the port of Las Palmas, on the Spanish isle Gran Canaria.

Local media Canarias Ahora reported the men had been seeking a better life in Europe.

The photo distributed by Salvamento Maritimo, the maritime safety and rescue society, showed the men exhausted and in desperate need of medical attention.

They were found on the rudder blade, which is outside of the hull of the ship and is usually submerged.

Salvamento Maritimo authorities said on Twitter it was a lucky voyage, considering the extreme exposure to the sea and wind.

Authorities said: "They have been transferred to the port and treated by health services."

According to Sky News, it is not the first time migrants have tried to stow away on the rudder of a ship.

In October 2020, four people clung to a rudder of an oil tanker from Lagos, hiding for 10 days before Police discovered them on the vessel.

The number of migrants crossing from north Africa to the Canary Islands has spiked since 2019.
Does those two pictures look the same to you, are the men in those two pictures wearing the same clothes?. Since you are in a rush to tell us the true story.

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Banbanna(m): 7:10pm On Aug 03, 2023
Kemadealadire:
The two who came back🌝 why did they take such a risk in the first place🤷🏽‍♀️ all for nothing 🥴
Not entirely for nothing though. It was a test of endurance/resilience. Or abi na some kind StowATHON. The stowaways that's gone to the furthest places.🙂 But then, I feel for them sha, that their hopes of European destination was dashed.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Voiceofthestree: 7:19pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Brazil is just like nigeria bruh but without the hardship instead more crimes

There's no heaven in Brazil except you're rich

Bros forget Brazil nah heaven compare to Zoo call Nigeria 🇳🇬 oooo no be lie
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
planetx:
Heaven on earth? But Brazilians make up some of the largest groups trying to enter the US illegally through the Mexican border.

Where are the Brazilians crossing the Mexican border. Una go dey lie recklessly on nairaland.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Stevedison(m): 7:40pm On Aug 03, 2023
Stop rubbishing Nigeria. Those guys are not Nigerians. Do they speak like Nigerians?

Take a listen to the story and you will know that there is no trybe in Nigeria with such accent.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by id4sho(m): 7:40pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

Hehe

That happen when you race mix

Nigeria could've been like Brazil if dem British folks decided to bleep nigerian babes.

Are you saying whites fu<ked south Africans. The white Afrikaans cheesy
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by onatisi(m): 7:43pm On Aug 03, 2023
cheapest way to travel abroad , no ticket , no visa , no bta , no passport cheesy
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by planetx: 7:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Where are the Brazilians crossing the Mexican border. Una go dey lie recklessly on nairaland.
Hundred of thousands of Brazilians have been apprehended at the US Southern border, a quick Google search will answer your question. Keep trying to be more Brazilian than the Brazilians themselves
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by frog12: 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2023
so na fake? send us video link

Stevedison:
Stop rubbishing Nigeria. Those guys are not Nigerians. Do they speak like Nigerians?

Take a listen to the story and you will know that there is no trybe in Nigeria with such accent.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
planetx:
Hundred of thousands of Brazilians have been apprehended at the US Southern border, a quick Google search will answer your question. Keep trying to be more Brazilian than the Brazilians themselves

Yen yen yen yen
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by TheMaharajah: 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
Abeg how Putin dey use clean him yansh after him shit finish. Shey him get toilet assistant
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Purvan(m): 8:04pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Hehe:-)

Wetin Brazilian day find for Mexico??

The only places Brazilians go to is Portugal and Mozambique

Anything other that you're onwion

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:04pm On Aug 03, 2023
Abagworo:

Majority of humans aren't smart enough to tap into legitimate opportunities. Nigeria has so much opportunities for the smart to make serious fortune

You are absolutely right. And after they get to leave the country, they end up in all kinds of illegalities. Creating a criminal reputation for this great country.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2023
Shikena:
Just 2 weeks grin grin

No wonder you picked your experience in just a few areas in Sao Paulo/Rio and marked those as the national standard. You remind me of a Nigerian born abroad who visited home for 3 weeks and was talking as if the entire Nigeria is defined by his personal bad experiences for 3 weeks at Festac Town grin

You still managed not to answer the question, I asked WHAT WORK? don't forget I went to the centre where Nigerians own almost all Biz to speak to loads of them there, their main aim was to cross to the USA, but it aint easy and cost loads, I must have spoken to a dozen to be migrants!
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2023
planetx:
This is very true.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:11pm On Aug 03, 2023
UnfairLife7:
if you like support Emilokan from now till thy kingdom come just as you did for Buhari grin
The fact that Emilokan is from my tribe doesn't make me nor you richer. We all will buy those high cost of goods and services the same amount. They won't give you discount because you asslick them. That wouldn't stop your people from buying foodstuffs on credit at Ebuka shop. Just like we know Buhari was a failure from beginning so we know about your Emilokan.

Those guys going abroad to do odd jobs are using the money to build mansions in Nigeria and support their families. If they remain in Nigeria, they will be as useless like an average Nigerians youths. Poverty, unemployment, insecurity, hyperinflation, hunger et al are the norms in Nigeria of today. After school as a graduate, you're on your own grin

Can your people afford paying 150k Unilag fees? I mean your people that majority are suffering. Keep asslickimg your oppressors jare.

My friend abandoned his study when we're in year 3 in school and left for Libya through road. Although i tried to convince him to complete his study if at all he wanna go. He insisted, saying Afterall after school no job. He was right. He left 2020 and was given a job immediately. He started with cleaning job and he was paid 125k monthly. That is ordinary Libya o. He later got another job and he was doing 2 jobs. He was being paid in dollar though. He will be coming back home this December with nothing less than 7 million naira. He is currently better than most average Nigerian youths, he's currently better than all the 75 students in our department that graduated, he'd have ended up like every average Nigerians or a little bit better. He confirmed to me that Nigeria is cursed. Libya don't have all the resources we had yet they are far far better than Nigerians. Ordinary Libya o. He will come back to Nigeria and establish a business, then go back to school before relocating to a better and more saner country. Either USA or Canada

You need to cover your face in shame

Unifairlife7, why should I cover my face in shame. I make enough money in Nigeria that gives me the privilege to go enjoy vacations abroad and not go there to do odd jobs.

Lol all I can say is may Tinubu's government continue to favour me and my family just like Buhari's government favoured us. The reality of life is government policies don't favour all. Sorry! . grin
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 8:12pm On Aug 03, 2023
Starzo:
Lol....same Brazil wey some people dey literally chop shat just to survive

Ignorance is truly a disease
Exactly Brazil again, who nor go no know, you know some people just travel 1st time and think those countries are it, I stand to be corrected the neatest country in the world is Germany. But it isn't the best place to live in the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

3 Nigerians Detained For Entering India Without Documents / Finally, Parked Trucks Are Getting Off Expressways And Bridges In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.