Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet (44291 Views)

2023: Are The Ex-generals Actually Backing Obi? / CDS Meets Military Chiefs, Prepares 70 Generals For Exit / Buhari Weighs Options On Incoming Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by politicoNG: 9:29pm On Aug 04, 2023
Terrorism, Niger crisis: Tinubu shuns ex-Generals for incoming cabinet jobs
Amid terrorism and banditry activities in Nigeria and across its borders, especially in Lake Chad, PRNigeria can authoritatively report that no retired military general made the 47-man cut of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s entire ministerial nominees.

This is even as President Bola Tinubu has sought the Senate’s support for military intervention against the military junta that toppled a democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum of the neighbouring Niger Republic.

But PRNigeria’s analysis of the 47 Ministers-designate revealed that none of them was once a military officer or even had a career in the Nigerian Armed Forces, at a point in time.

However, President Tinubu, in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief, recently decorated the new Service Chiefs with their higher office insignia, signifying the weight of the responsibilities they now bear. The inaugurated service chiefs are Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa; Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-General Taoreed Lagbaja; Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Hassan Abubakar, and Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla.

Tinubu, last week, forwarded to the Senate the names of 28 nominees, among whom are popular Nigerian politicians and seasoned technocrats, for confirmation as Ministers.

They include a foremost diplomat, Amb. Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, Arch. Ahmad Dangiwa, Hajiya Hanatu Musawa, the All-Progressives Congress, APC, Women Leader, Betta Edu; immediate-past Ebonyi, Rivers, Jigawa and Kaduna States’ Governors, Dave Umahi, Nyesom Wike, Mohamed Badaru Abubakar and Nasir El-Rufai .

Among the rest are: Hon. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, Tinubu’s spokesperson, Dele Alake, Chief Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, and the publisher of Blueprint newspapers, Mohammed Idris Malagi.

On Wednesday, another ministerial list, the second batch, with 19 names was sent to the Senate for screening and confirmation.

The likes ex-Osun Governor, Gboyega Oyetola, former Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong, that of Kebbi, Zamfara and Yobe States, Sen. Atiku Bagudu, Bello Matawalle and Ibrahim Geidam, among others, made the final cut of Tinubu’s incoming cabinet members.

Though President Tinubu is not the first Nigerian leader to appoint persons with zero military background as Defence Minister, the last time that happened was in 2014.

That was when Mr. Labaran Maku, former Minister of Information in Dr. Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, supervised the Ministry of Defence as its Supervising Minister.

In the last eight years, and since 2014 in fact, PRNigeria reports that only retired Army Generals served as Ministers of Defence; still under ex-Presidents Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari.

They include: Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau (rtd) between March 2014 and May 2015; Gen. Mansur Mohammed Dan-Ali (rtd) between November 2015 and May 2019; and Gen. Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) between August 2019 and May 2023.

The administrations of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua of blessed memory and Dr. Jonathan, between 1999 and 2014, had mostly politicians, and then few technocrats on the saddle of the Defence Ministry.

For instance, after Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (rtd) served as Nigeria’s Minister of Defence between 1999 and 2003, he was succeeded by former Kano State Governor, Sen. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, who held sway as Minister of Defence between 2003 and 2007.

Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Alh. Yayale Ahmed took over from Kwankwaso, and served as Minister of Defence between 2007 and 2008. Between 2008 and 2009, Nigeria’s Defence Minister was Shettima Mustapha, who was succeeded by Godwin Abbe in 2009. After Abe left in 2010, a former Justice Minister and Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, Adetokunbo Kayode, took over the affairs of the Defence Ministry and left in 2011.

The duo of a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Haliru Mohammed Bello; and Erelu Olusola Obada, a former Deputy Governor of Osun State, were the last non-military personnel (serving or retired) that served as Ministers of Defence, between July 2011 and September 2013.

Though PRNigeria could not fathom the reason why President Tinubu shunned picking a retired general among his ministerial nominees, with the realization that a Defence Ministry exists, some military analysts opined that the action of Tinubu defies rational thinking since there is already National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu with security, a retired general could have been nominated for the cabinet.

They argued that while the President has the prerogative to appoint any citizen to be part of his cabinet, persons with vast expertise in some particular fields like law, security, education, and health should not be left out in a Nigerian President’s ministerial lists.

https://prnigeria.com/2023/08/04/tinubu-shuns-generals-cabinet/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by TemplarLandry: 9:32pm On Aug 04, 2023
cool
I dedicate “Shake Down” by Akon to Aşiwaju. Great jam!

124 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Xxxxtentacion2: 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2023
Tinubu is not here to deliver good governance...
He is there to loot and enrich himself like previous leaders...
Anybody telling you that Tinubu will deliver is just lying to himself...

197 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by ChatterHouse: 9:35pm On Aug 04, 2023
grin

3 Likes

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Tntsi: 9:36pm On Aug 04, 2023
Whether he shuns ex generals or not, he remains unconstitutional.

As for the coup in Niger, I believe one of the major enabler of the coup is the presidential election in our nation.

There may be other reasons but I believe the presidential elections in our country and the response from supposed fathers and elders gave the coup plotters in niger a major courage.

The constitution which is the fabric that holds democracy in our nation has been desecrated.
Democracy in our country is dead. Nigeria is under a political coup. Respected leaders and fathers in the land who should have made their voices to be heard turned a blind eye.
Some of them have gone to mediate in niger and the young men refused to listen.

Peharps ,if our respected fathers and elders have raised their voice against the coup in Nigeria, our brothers in niger would have listened to them.

137 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by slivertongue: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2023
NIGERIA can't afford external crisis we have enough on our hands

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Penguin2: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2023
Tinubu is showing disdain for the Armed Forces, I hope they don’t return the favour to him someday.

First, he appointed an ex police officer to supervise them as NSA.

Now he’s going to appoint a civilian as Minister of Defence.

From my knowledge of history and power, this is a recipe for disaster.

But what do I know?

114 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by DaddyYTB: 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2023
Alright

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by saphiere(f): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2023
Hnm
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Longinyamapucci(m): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2023
I'm very sure that Hausa Fulani and their Yoruba brothers who voted massively for Mr blue are ready for Niger fight... keep us from the Delta off this.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Nazgul: 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2023
I was listening to one of IBB's old interviews with channels TV on YouTube...and he said something that struck me.

He said soldiers usually take advantage of a collapsing economy to stage a coup. And most times the masses wouldn't protest cos they're feeling the heat of the economy, and would welcome them (the soldiers) with open arms with the hope that things would change for their good.

I also read an interview of a former chief of army staff Gen Dambazu here on Nairaland who said some powerful northern retired generals told him to overthrow Jonathan when Yar'adua died, but he choose not to follow their advice cos he felt that Nigeria would face serious sanctions from the West if he does it.

Tinubu should understand this. He literally witnessed all the coups in Nigeria from January 1966 till Diya's I'll fated coup of December 1997.

Nigeria isn't Lagos. If he tries to monopolize power, he might loose that seat. He shouldn't give the military any reason to come back.

I know so many people might say they would prefer the military. But we should know that the military we have now is totally different from the crop that ruled Nigeria back then. Our army is highly politicalized. Meaning there wouldn't be any difference between them and our current crop of corrupt politicans.

115 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by RingRoadMafia: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2023
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Sharpsharp00123: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2023
The enemies of our great nation are wailing about, I want to implore all progressives reading this that it’s not over until it’s over

We shouldn’t rest till we are able to neutralize d children of hate who are hell bent on destroying our beautiful nation cos they lost election

As e dey go right now, na them go tire cos it’s fire for fire

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by 79toojob(m): 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2023
He is playing with fire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Obyangel: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2023
Bobo Chicago is doing great, far better than Bubu.
God bless our president
God bless Nigerians
God bless us.

20 Likes

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Truthday: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Good

The generals are not useful for the lingering and growing insecurity in the country. It'll be insensitive to include such failure in the progress of this country

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Sultty(m): 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
grin cheesy grin tinubu did this tinubu did that. Yet them no contest election. Alaaye free the man jare, he weighed his options and made his decision which is far better than a balless j.e jonathan grin sheepishly looking drunkard who is the real Fulani slave

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by PlayerMeji: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Pk
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Sharpsharp00123: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
another gibberish from a man from d land of d rising hate

No surprises we know who u people are n that’s y we avoided u like plague in d last election

Shinedu election no b war get over it

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Ventura1: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
He want no rival for Ribadu

3 Likes

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by 4merlity: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Their contribution might help
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Sharpsharp00123: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Penguin2:
Tinubu is showing disdain for the Armed Forces, I hope they don’t return the favour to him someday.

First, he appointed an ex police officer to supervise them as NSA.

Now he’s going to appoint a civilian as Minister of Defence.

From my knowledge of history and power, this is a recipe for disaster.

But what do I know?
anytime I see Igbo comments on this forum it reminds me of the song “wetin we gain” by victor AD

If Igbo man no hate wetin he gain

Remove hate from an Igbo man n he’s empty, hate is an average Igbo man’s fuel

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by gaby(m): 9:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
He has hit the ground "crawling".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by kingamaa(m): 9:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
W
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2023
E reach to plan coup?
Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by Shed2013(m): 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

You're 100% right but believe me many will attack your comments but you're right and I personally agree with you...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by lexy2014: 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2023
What in the world does nigeria need 47 ministers for?

I thought Tinubu said there's no money? How will all these offices be financed?

12 Likes

Re: Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet by BreconHills(m): 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

Because of course you can read the future with accuracy.

Take your forecasting skills to stockbroking or even sports betting. Don't waste your gift.

12 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Forgery Trial: Buhari Threatened Impeachment / Ezenwa Francis Clears Douglas Refuse Dump Allowed To Punish Owerri (Photos) / Eleka Kneels Down As Fayose Prays For His Victory (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.