Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,220 members, 7,829,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship (13540 Views)

N150,000 Job Or Fully Funded Scholarship For Masters In Malaysia / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Biola67: 9:54am On Aug 08, 2023
When Uk start to Dey give Msc scholarship with 900 pounds stipend!! Na lie you Dey lie

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Beess(m): 9:54am On Aug 08, 2023
Bvv
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by SmartPolician: 9:55am On Aug 08, 2023
grin
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Amayabor1: 9:57am On Aug 08, 2023
I will advise you take up the masters program in the UK. I know many scholarship give you a condition of going back to your home country after completion of your study in the UK, but there are ways to it such that you will remain in the UK after your program. If you are serious, you can save some money from your scholarship stupend and still work as a student in the UK. In fact, you stand a better chance for a career in IT in the UK than in Nigeria.

Don't look at the money they want to pay you o. 200k is a very small money in today's Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by optimusprime2(m): 9:58am On Aug 08, 2023
Are you single? If yes, proceed to the next question

If the answer to the above question is yes, the follow up is Are you below thirty? If yes, proceed to the next question

Are you physically ok with doing blue collar jobs for a period of time?

If you answered YES to all three questions;
Then move along with the UK idea... go to the UK by all means.

If you answered no to any of the questions then please take the job for now. The experience from the job will build up to match other work residency/visa requirements if "japa" is on your mind.

at the end of the day it's on you...

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Passovile: 10:00am On Aug 08, 2023
Procedure you used in getting your scholarship please
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by sangresan(m): 10:02am On Aug 08, 2023
OboOlora:
Una go just de paint situation wey difficult pass when Tinubu wan remove em urinaty bag by himself.

Advice: Go UK go de do the remote job while also doing Masters nah. Before ur masters finish, find care job wey go sponsor u and de do the remote job go by the side while u earn £12/hr cleaning sh1t on night shift.

Win-Win!!!

You be mumu otondo. Sey uno see where he said na full-time job role and the pesin must be based in Nigeria. To me, he should consider the prospects of his tech job. Is it possible for him to upskill on the job and earn more? If yes, he should take it and further hone his skills. On the other hand, international exposure awaits him in the UK which is worth more than N200k.

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by fitinwell: 10:04am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,
So I'll keep this as short as possible hoping to get your advice.

So I landed a software engineer role in one of the most popular fintechs in Africa, a remote role and it pays about 200k for a start.

I also have a fully funded scholarship to the UK(biological sciences) with stipends of about 900£ monthly but you must come back to Ng if at the end of the programme you do not already have a job.

I know that all things being equal in the software job in a couple of years say 3 years I should be able to triple that amount, I know guys that have done similar.

The risk of going to the UK is being stranded at the end of the programme. Worst part is the msc is not in the I.T industry. I know guys that have picked up second msc degrees cause of no job and they don't want to come back

I'm very passionate about the IT industry, I literally thought my self

What do you guys advice.ooking forward to your input. Thank you

Depends on your family financial capabilities...

Will determine your final decision...
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 10:05am On Aug 08, 2023
donpata:
I will advise you to take the UK option brother. Once there, develop yourself further by building capacity. U can do things in bioinformatics. While in UK, you can do side jobs to gather some cash. u can easily save 200k from your side jobs in UK after expenses. In naija, that's what you will use for expenses. What's the guarantee that that company's offer will remain over the course of time? No be govt ohh
Follow this advise wholeheartedly and do things in bioinformatics or biomedical engineering,you're hot cake anywhere
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by OboOlora(f): 10:06am On Aug 08, 2023
sangresan:

You be mumu otondo. Sey uno see where he said na full-time job role and the pesin must be based in Nigeria. To me, he should consider the prospects of his tech job. Is it possible for him to upskill on the job and earn more? If yes, he should take it and further hone his skills. On the other hand, international exposure awaits him in the UK which is worth more than N200k.
Oponu ni e, cos you have said nothing to advise him.

If a job is fully remote and you must be based in Nigeria, so he cannot do it from UK without them suspecting abi?

Una too de shallow in your thinking sha, fufu brain🤣

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Naturallyme: 10:08am On Aug 08, 2023
Take your scholarship and continue with your software development training over there. You can get an IT job in the UK after your masters program.

Internaltional exposure is very important these days.

Don't be a local champion.

6 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by AKzee(m): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2023
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Prime1(m): 10:12am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

So I landed a software engineer role in one of the most popular fintechs in Africa, a remote role and it pays about 200k for a start.

I also have a fully funded scholarship to the UK(biological sciences) with stipends of about 900£ monthly but you must come back to Ng if at the end of the programme you do not already have a job.

I know that all things being equal in the software job in a couple of years say 3 years I should be able to triple that amount, I know guys that have done similar.

The risk of going to the UK is being stranded at the end of the programme. Worst part is the msc is not in the I.T industry. I know guys that have picked up second msc degrees cause of no job and they don't want to come back

Go with uk fully funded. You will have more experience over there and can easily get job in to tech company, although it wont be easy, but it is better.

If you stay in this country because of 200k with the current situation in Nigeria, you might regret.

Jejely carry your load and go to UK, restart your life.
If at the end of your eductaion, you were not able to get a job, move to canada or australia or new zealand "directly".

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by henrimoto(m): 10:14am On Aug 08, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
200k is nothing. Go and get your masters.
@iboyx, Baba Tansaza... Don talk, na your fellow tech "colleague. Reason this part.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by ogunsbanjul(m): 10:15am On Aug 08, 2023
My advise is, go for the scholarship and am very sure heaven will speak on your behalf and you will find favour before man and UK government by God's grace.
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Ajoray: 10:15am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

You need to state whether it is 200k dols or naira. If it's naira, I'll advise you go to do your masters and keep developing your tech skills. Being a tech guy myself, with consistency and since you are already good enough to get a 200k job, in 2,3 years you could be earning 5k to 10k fully remote.
I'll advise leaving the tech job, and going to the UK. That way you have multiple options. Cuz even as your doing your masters, you can always still land very lucrative remote jobs in tech
If it's 200k naira that is very small money in today's economy

4 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by soccerlite: 10:17am On Aug 08, 2023
It's funny that you are confused

UK scholarship, you have a tech skill

The kind of job you have, you can also get it in UK too

Even use your stipend to learn more

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by MsThrive: 10:18am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

OP, I’ll advice as a software engineer currently based in the UK.

Take the scholarship in the UK. 900£ will sustain you as a student per month if you spend within your limit.

During your Masters, keep working on projects and pick up Data Structures and algorithms(Use Leetcode)

You’ve brought yourself this far and can keep pushing.

6 months before the end of your studies, start applying to software engineering companies that offer sponsorship. Do your research and have a list of companies handy.
Target companies like Bloomberg, GoCardless, JPMorgan etc. Network with Nigerians working at these companies on LinkedIn.
And keep interviewing.

If you do all these, you’ll most likely have a job before the end of your graduation.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by kayprinz(m): 10:20am On Aug 08, 2023

Actively buying Bitcoin,gift cards and USDT sweet and fast payment

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by hustla(m): 10:21am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:

The rule in the company is u must be based in Nigeria and its a full time role

Stay in Nigeria and develop yourself since it's software engineering but you have to be aware that Nigeria is a weird country and things can change within 2 seconds

You can tmove to Canada on PR after developing yourself well and polishing your CV, getting a Canadian job from Nigeria gives more points

Moving to the UK on student visa is a ghetto thing but you can also get a software engineering job in the UK before graduating from your programme. Gotta weigh it well
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Sweetvie: 10:22am On Aug 08, 2023
Take the scholarship. 200k is too small
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by JoshTim: 10:25am On Aug 08, 2023
Uk fully funded. What is 200k

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by able20(m): 10:29am On Aug 08, 2023
OP if you want to find out about JAPA, please japa.
Last week someone ask if he can japa, and he came up with the story of him making 3000 dollars a month as a software engineer in Nigeria still he want to hapa
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by duduade16: 10:32am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

how you na take dey take see fully scholarship admission in UK pls help a bro I have my BSc in Plant Science

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Dynamicboss: 10:33am On Aug 08, 2023
Lastmessenger2:
UK and get your msc. Keep working on your coding skill and keep developing it and you will not regret it

Except he gets a job in software. Do you think it is easy obtaining masters degree and be Learning code same time? Coding takes as much time as going to school. He needs to drop one for another. It's either he picks the UK master degree and combine it with a flexible job or he picks the software job
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by JaskanFactor: 10:33am On Aug 08, 2023
As fellow software engineer who works in Europe. All i can tell you is that if you got good career path in Nigeria better hold on to it.

People very seriously underestimate how rampant racism in UK can destroy not just your career but your life.

I have been to jobs as freelance robotics developer, where i did not just have to deal with racism of fellow engineers, but security guards.
So that in Europe in many cases when you go to work, it also has the risk of incident that could lead to police involvement everyday you go to work. The sort of risk you would expect from going to rowdy night club, and not place of work.

If you have something good in Nigeria, dont leave it for career in country of those who treat your people like enemy who deserve no right to life.

I haven't worked for them in over a decade , and it was a very disturbing very ugly 20 years i worked for them in over 20 companies as i realised very early in my career that permanent job offered me no real career prospects, so became freelance after 3 years out of uni.

If on the other hand you see yourself as a professional ass kisser , ready to bend over backwards for sub human level of shit behind closed doors, they will like you a lot.

If you have some morals and principles , they will ruin your career and ask you to pay for it by coming to your house to ask for taxes ,even though they block your path to real career.

Better to make your money in Nigeria and visit Europe when you feel like it ,
Ask yourself why rich Nigerians still live in Nigeria, and you can work from home for European companies now.

If you planning to go live amongst people, its good idea to know what they say about your people

https://www.bitchute.com/
That's one example of a very racist website where Europeans go talk all kinds crap about black people.
Those will be your work colleagues if you want to work in Europe.

The more high-tech the more advanced the level of intellect required in the field the more racist the place is, do you get it now.

And the only reason there aren't massive bill boards warning japa people about the dangers of racism is cause they the Europeans run Nigeria all the way down to NTA and the price of bread.

Been in Europe over forty years and i still get blood pressure every time i go grocery shopping , never mind an office. I do most of my shopping online as result of racism.

If you got good career [prospects in Nigeria, dont leave it to go work for those who are encouraging each other in their view that people who look like you dont deserve a right to life.

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Sheffieldconsul: 10:38am On Aug 08, 2023
Why would you think twice before accepting a free funded Masters in the UK?
Reasons why you should accept the Msc
1. It is FREE (scholarship)
2. With biological sciences, you can get a job with the NHS, Clinical Trial Firms, Pharmaceuticals, Health Startups, etc. after graduation and you have 2 years post study visa.
3. I assume you're a good student, hence you got a fully funded scholarship. If this is the case, you have a very good chance of getting a PhD in a relevant field that you can utilize your IT skills.
4. You said your job is REMOTE. Can you possibly take the job and still pursue you Masters?
5. What can be good about a so called "popular" Fintech in Africa that is paying a software engineer a meager 200k a month? That is less than 200 quid!
6. While pursuing your masters, you can easily get a remote job if your location changes to UK, you can increase your networking, you can improve your skills, etc.
Dude!! F**king know your worth... Take that scholarship now or you will cry in this Ebola Ahmed country.
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by heroshark(m): 10:39am On Aug 08, 2023
ecolime:
Would have advised you to go for the Biological sciences programme, but what's the point in travelling out for Masters and be back home to square one?

Take the software engineer role, develop capacity and you will be in a better position to get better international jobs soonest.

This is not the best advice. Since his offer is fully funded with a stiped of £900 per month, which as at today is over 1m. He can decide to save all the stipend while doing parttime job to offset his living expenses. At the end of the master program he will be sure of £10K in saving which is over 11m all within one year. It will take him ages to save that in Nigeria while on 200k salary.

At the end he has a UK advance degree and lot's of savings, that's a win win

3 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Moniya4Real(m): 10:39am On Aug 08, 2023
Do your due dilly but most importantly, if you are a Christian- I strongly I advise you consult God on it and you’ll be glad you did

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by StemCellTherapi(m): 10:39am On Aug 08, 2023
Pray on the decision for God to guide you.
After prayer, listen to your spirit.
That should end the debate.

Now, my own is how did u secure fully funded scholarship to UK.

3 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by hfaith: 10:40am On Aug 08, 2023
Defer the admission if you are uncertain or you let go if you think studying in the UK is not good enoigh considering the choice of the course which is unrelated to your IT path now
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Biola67: 10:45am On Aug 08, 2023
JaskanFactor:
As fellow software engineer who works in Europe. All i can tell you is that if you got good career path in Nigeria better hold on to it.

People very seriously underestimate how rampant racism in UK can destroy not just your career but your life.

I have been to jobs as freelance robotics developer, where i did not just have to deal with racism of fellow engineers, but security guards.
So that in Europe in many cases when you go to work, it also has the risk of incident that could lead to police involvement everyday you go to work. The sort of risk you would expect from going to rowdy night club, and not place of work.

Bros, come back naija to avoid racism na. So make e sit down with 200k naira cuz of racism, the naija wey e Dey sef Shey e no Dey face discrimination? 🤣🤣

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyo Sacks 662 Workers; Removes 2,021 From Payroll / Should I Leave My Current Company / Is It Okay To Post Engagement Pictures On LinkedIn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.