Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,260 members, 7,829,521 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship (13543 Views)

N150,000 Job Or Fully Funded Scholarship For Masters In Malaysia / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by bonnyhope: 10:46am On Aug 08, 2023
donpata:
I will advise you to take the UK option brother. Once there, develop yourself further by building capacity. U can do things in bioinformatics. While in UK, you can do side jobs to gather some cash. u can easily save 200k from your side jobs in UK after expenses. In naija, that's what you will use for expenses. What's the guarantee that that company's offer will remain over the course of time? No be govt ohh

Follow this guy own
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Biola67: 10:47am On Aug 08, 2023
Your eyes go clear when you marry. You better move!
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by joelliving: 10:50am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:

The rule in the company is u must be based in Nigeria and its a full time role

And who told you you can't get a better I.T Job over there when you leave.
Well different strokes for different folks.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by bonnyhope: 10:52am On Aug 08, 2023
Biola67:
When Uk start to Dey give Msc scholarship with 900 pounds stipend!! Na lie you Dey lie

The £900 is much abi?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Biola67: 10:54am On Aug 08, 2023
bonnyhope:

The £900 is much abi?
Uk wey Kala. The 900£ go far abeg. Even if you get first class na like 5k pounds scholarship dem Dey give on 15k tuition fee … so where the OP see fully funded Msc scholarship, not even PhD haha
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Nairas2dollars: 10:58am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,
So I'll keep this as short as possible hoping to get your advice.

So I landed a software engineer role in one of the most popular fintechs in Africa, a remote role and it pays about 200k for a start.

I also have a fully funded scholarship to the UK(biological sciences) with stipends of about 900£ monthly but you must come back to Ng if at the end of the programme you do not already have a job.

I know that all things being equal in the software job in a couple of years say 3 years I should be able to triple that amount, I know guys that have done similar.

The risk of going to the UK is being stranded at the end of the programme. Worst part is the msc is not in the I.T industry. I know guys that have picked up second msc degrees cause of no job and they don't want to come back

I'm very passionate about the IT industry, I literally thought my self

What do you guys advice.ooking forward to your input. Thank you

Please my brother's wife really need this information. She studied animal and environmental biology at Uniben. How did you got the full funded scholarship on biological science, tell me please so I can tell her too.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by femmoy(m): 11:01am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

So I landed a software engineer role in one of the most popular fintechs in Africa, a remote role and it pays about 200k for a start.

I also have a fully funded scholarship to the UK(biological sciences) with stipends of about 900£ monthly but you must come back to Ng if at the end of the programme you do not already have a job.

I know that all things being equal in the software job in a couple of years say 3 years I should be able to triple that amount, I know guys that have done similar.

The risk of going to the UK is being stranded at the end of the programme. Worst part is the msc is not in the I.T industry. I know guys that have picked up second msc degrees cause of no job and they don't want to come back

Go your your msc in UK.
You won't regret you did.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by emperor4love(m): 11:01am On Aug 08, 2023
Go u.k unless u are lazy to work,u will make that money ×4 say e bad on monthly basis
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by staga: 11:03am On Aug 08, 2023
JaskanFactor:
As fellow software engineer who works in Europe. All i can tell you is that if you got good career path in Nigeria better hold on to it.

People very seriously underestimate how rampant racism in UK can destroy not just your career but your life.

I have been to jobs as freelance robotics developer, where i did not just have to deal with racism of fellow engineers, but security guards.
So that in Europe in many cases when you go to work, it also has the risk of incident that could lead to police involvement everyday you go to work. The sort of risk you would expect from going to rowdy night club, and not place of work.

If you have something good in Nigeria, dont leave it for career in country of those who treat your people like enemy who deserve no right to life.

I haven't worked for them in over a decade , and it was a very disturbing very ugly 20 years i worked for them in over 20 companies as i realised very early in my career that permanent job offered me no real career prospects, so became freelance after 3 years out of uni.

If on the other hand you see yourself as a professional ass kisser , ready to bend over backwards for sub human level of shit behind closed doors, they will like you a lot.

If you have some morals and principles , they will ruin your career and ask you to pay for it by coming to your house to ask for taxes ,even though they block your path to real career.

Better to make your money in Nigeria and visit Europe when you feel like it ,
Ask yourself why rich Nigerians still live in Nigeria, and you can work from home for European companies now.

If you planning to go live amongst people, its good idea to know what they say about your people

https://www.bitchute.com/
That's one example of a very racist website where Europeans go talk all kinds crap about black people.
Those will be your work colleagues if you want to work in Europe.

The more high-tech the more advanced the level of intellect required in the field the more racist the place is, do you get it now.

And the only reason there aren't massive bill boards warning japa people about the dangers of racism is cause they the Europeans run Nigeria all the way down to NTA and the price of bread.

Been in Europe over forty years and i still get blood pressure every time i go grocery shopping , never mind an office. I do most of my shopping online as result of racism.

If you got good career [prospects in Nigeria, dont leave it to go work for those who are encouraging each other in their view that people who look like you dont deserve a right to life.

The question that begs answering is this: if it was this bad, how in the world did you end up spending 40 years in Europe and still counting? Surely there must be gains working in Europe and not Naija.

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by zed7: 11:04am On Aug 08, 2023
A person who needs genuine advice should look for experienced professionals for guidance outside this forum.

You would t get meaningful advice here. People here are students, half baked graduates, job seekers and scammers. They know nothing about the real world and unfortunately, the few who know will never contribute.

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Mountbatten: 11:10am On Aug 08, 2023
• You're passionate about IT and landed a job as a software engineer.
• You've been offered a scholarship to go study biological sciences in the UK

You pick option one, in a years time you would've gained worked experience and built competence which would increase your value in the job market.

You pick option two, finish your master's which also requires you to return to Nigeria with a cool down of about 2 years before you can return to the UK to find work. Furthermore, you won't be able to gain relevant work experience because of visa restrictions, and you'll be further away from your passion in IT.

The question is, what will you be doing when you return with your biological science master’s degree, which will basically be worth nothing? How will a master’s degree in biological sciences get you an IT job? You will end up back at square one, with a year wasted on a degree that doesn't align with your goals.

I would advise you to take option 1, as future you will be grateful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Mountbatten: 11:15am On Aug 08, 2023
Amayabor1:
I will advise you take up the masters program in the UK. I know many scholarship give you a condition of going back to your home country after completion of your study in the UK, but there are ways to it such that you will remain in the UK after your program. If you are serious, you can save some money from your scholarship stupend and still work as a student in the UK. In fact, you stand a better chance for a career in IT in the UK than in Nigeria.

Don't look at the money they want to pay you o. 200k is a very small money in today's Nigeria.

And how would he be able to combine working full time with full time studies? OP is also not required to work more than 20 hours otherwise they violate the terms of their BRP. They will need to pay tax on the money they make from the SE job which will also compromise his position.

You can't eat your cake and have it. He's going to earn 200k with no job experience which is more than generous, so stop being so short-sighted.

2 Likes

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by fastseo1: 11:17am On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:

whats 200k... I am spent over 10m just to school abroad with another 15m to pay..

run run run
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by MrCGPA(m): 11:46am On Aug 08, 2023
Do you know you can stay in UK doing your Master and still be doing your Remote IT work in Nigeria? I know you said the IT work demanded your Presence in Nigeria but you can stay in UK and still Appear in Nigeria. Download a VPN and install on your Device to handle Location appearance for you. £900 monthly is over #1M. My Course Mates who were nobody in Class in Nigeria travelled to UK for MSE and became Big Boys. Don't Dare reject the Scholarship to avoid regret later in Life.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by ecolime(m): 11:58am On Aug 08, 2023
heroshark:

This is not the best advice. Since his offer is fully funded with a stiped of £900 per month, which as at today is over 1m. He can decide to save all the stipend while doing parttime job to offset his living expenses. At the end of the master program he will be sure of £10K in saving which is over 11m all within one year. It will take him ages to save that in Nigeria while on 200k salary.

At the end he has a UK advance degree and lot's of savings, that's a win win
I must have missed this part out.

But it's not possible to save all the £900, he should be able to do £600. The Masters option looks more like it then.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by raydboi(m): 12:10pm On Aug 08, 2023
tongue
OboOlora:
Una go just de paint situation wey difficult pass when Tinubu wan remove em urinaty bag by himself.

Advice: Go UK go de do the remote job while also doing Masters nah. Before ur masters finish, find care job wey go sponsor u and de do the remote job go by the side while u earn £12/hr cleaning sh1t on night shift.

Win-Win!!!
Brutal
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by KennethEnyi(m): 12:15pm On Aug 08, 2023
You Can always go to hell fire
At least cold no go kill u for there
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:17pm On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

I wish you luck sir.

But pls which tech course did you study? Person make I do data analysis is it a good course?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by chaiks: 12:30pm On Aug 08, 2023
How can he make Canada PR a back up? Can he land PR after getting masters in UK without having a certified or Canadian job experience? I am currently in Tokyo studying and will be rounding off my masters by September next year so I need tips on how to cut out and what next to do to transition to a better country where I can get passport.
007s:

Bioinformatics is one of the areas where UK lack enough manpower, so i had advise you follow this advise..
On the other hand, if u are determined and have a good portfolio you can land a software engineering job in the UK.

Lastly, make Canada PR ur backup plan incase you dont get a job in the UK as expected
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Xammie001(m): 12:49pm On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:

IP VANISH Will do the work fam
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by UnfairLife7(m): 12:56pm On Aug 08, 2023
Biola67:

Uk wey Kala. The 900£ go far abeg. Even if you get first class na like 5k pounds scholarship dem Dey give on 15k tuition fee … so where the OP see fully funded Msc scholarship, not even PhD haha
are you trying to say it's easier to get PhD scholarship than MS?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Biola67: 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2023
UnfairLife7:
are you trying to say it's easier to get PhD scholarship than MS?
YES
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by sonofthunder: 1:12pm On Aug 08, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,

Boss, please teach us how to enter this tech trade sir
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by heroshark(m): 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2023
ecolime:

I must have missed this part out.

But it's not possible to save all the £900, he should be able to do £600. The Masters option looks more like it then.

It's very possible. Over 80% of Nigerians that travel to the UK, didn't have scholarship so they are not getting the free £900 per month. Yet worked to pay their living expenses and part of their tuition. It all depends on his spending habit. In his case he doesn't have to worry about tuition fee just to work to pay his living expenses.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Microwhy: 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2023
Go get your masters..
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by UnfairLife7(m): 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2023
Biola67:

YES
WHY? I thought MS is just two years while PhD might take 5 years. Why is it easier? PhD should be more expensive than even MS. So why was it easier than MS?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Error401: 1:43pm On Aug 08, 2023
200k is just 200 pounds, even a cleaner gets more than that monthly in UK. Do yoru MSc and build your Skills

Iboyx:
Hi guys,

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Amayabor1: 1:52pm On Aug 08, 2023
Mountbatten:

And how would he be able to combine working full time with full time studies? OP is also not required to work more than 20 hours otherwise they violate the terms of their BRP. They will need to pay tax on the money they make from the SE job which will also compromise his position.

You can't eat your cake and have it. He's going to earn 200k with no job experience which is more than generous, so stop being so short-sighted.

You must be very stupid and useless to have quoted me in a very rude manner.

Are you telling me there are no graduate students that are working in the UK and combing the work with full time studies? Did I tell OP to work more than 20 hours in a week? Or you just read something and replied because you wanted to reply?

I repeat, OP should leave the 200k Nigeria Job and move to the UK. He has better prospects there and better chances of saving something. The 200k will not take him anywhere in present day Nigeria.

Dimwit!
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Mountbatten: 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2023
Amayabor1:

You must be very stupid and useless to have quoted me in a very rude manner.

Are you telling me there are no graduate students that are working in the UK and combing the work with full time studies? Did I tell OP to work more than 20 hours in a week? Or you just read something and replied because you wanted to reply?

I repeat, OP should leave the 200k Nigeria Job and move to the UK. He has better prospects there and better chances of saving something. The 200k will not take him anywhere in present day Nigeria.

Dimwit!

Hahaha! What an aggressive, an uncouth clown you are. Where in my comment shows I insulted you?

I repeat, you are short-sighted as you struggle to see beyond the 200k which I believe is fair for someone without any experience. 200k might not be a lot, but no employer will ever pay you what you think you are worth.

OP has a passion for IT and this is such a great opportunity for them to kickstart their career and they won't be on that 200k for much longer if they build their capacity. In a year's time, OP will be earning way more than the 200k unlike the MSc which doesn't guarantee them anything. They'll be back in naija to start from nothing when done.

Shame you're too blind to see the vision, as people like you will only end up misleading OP. Getting a master's degree will most likely not benefit OP in the long term, especially if they have intentions of working in IT as hands-on experience is superior to degrees.

Keep making a fool of yourself with your ignorant attitude.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 3:30pm On Aug 08, 2023
JoshEAJ:
Please,I need ways of getting scholarship too oo. Msc
try chevening scholarship they pay close to that amount too. If u live and school outside London.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by aigbokiejohnson(m): 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2023
I'd rather advised you go for the Master degree while you avail yourself the opportunity to develop yourself further in the IT world. Staying in this Republic of Bulaba is suicidal. Pls go!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Leave My Current Company / Is It Okay To Post Engagement Pictures On LinkedIn? / Best Professional Course For Agric Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.