Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship (13514 Views)

N150,000 Job Or Fully Funded Scholarship For Masters In Malaysia / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by GreatChizzy: 3:38pm On Aug 08, 2023
You must really hate the U.K (leaving me to wonder why) for you to be confused wether to consider a N200k (£177) over a fully sponsored Msc scholarship with a £900 monthly stipend, which when you maximise your 20hr per week work rights, you could easily take home £1,500 Monthly.

I was making N280k Monthly in PH back in July 2021, when I migrated to the UK. Looking back now, it was the smartest decision I have ever made in my life. My brother who joined last year never stops thanking me for bringing him here whenever we talk over the phone (he's in Scotland).

Your level of pessimism about the UK is profound and it is a trend I have seen here lately. Not all Nigerian immigrant works as "Care Worker" here. I for one I'm a QA/QC Controller in a manufacturing company. The number of internaltional students who gets sponsorship and remains in the UK after their studies, is by far the few who doesn't, not to mention some who didn't have the intention to remain.

I'd say don't migrate to any place you do not love, because you wouldn't make it there. You will have to love the land to be able to eat the good thereof.

Stay in Nigeria and take the N200k job because with your pessimism about the UK; you wouldn't succeed here.

Kind Regards.

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by ChiefOkporghe: 3:44pm On Aug 08, 2023
007s:

Bioinformatics is one of the areas where UK lack enough manpower, so i had advise you follow this advise..
On the other hand, if u are determined and have a good portfolio you can land a software engineering job in the UK.

Lastly, make Canada PR ur backup plan incase you dont get a job in the UK as expected
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by onuhx: 3:44pm On Aug 08, 2023
i will advise you stay put.. groom yourself the more and go to UK on your own terms
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Amayabor1: 7:10pm On Aug 08, 2023
Mountbatten:

Hahaha! What an aggressive, an uncouth clown you are. Where in my comment shows I insulted you?

I repeat, you are short-sighted as you struggle to see beyond the 200k which I believe is fair for someone without any experience. 200k might not be a lot, but no employer will ever pay you what you think you are worth.

OP has a passion for IT and this is such a great opportunity for them to kickstart their career and they won't be on that 200k for much longer if they build their capacity. In a year's time, OP will be earning way more than the 200k unlike the MSc which doesn't guarantee them anything. They'll be back in naija to start from nothing when done.

Shame you're too blind to see the vision, as people like you will only end up misleading OP. Getting a master's degree will most likely not benefit OP in the long term, especially if they have intentions of working in IT as hands-on experience is superior to degrees.

Keep making a fool of yourself with your ignorant attitude.

Useless he-goat. You have no right to say I am short-sighted as regards this matter. So, everyone that believes OP should go to the UK are short-sighted while those of you that think otherwise are the far-sighted and wise ones abi? Idiot!

And I am telling you that once you go to the UK for on a full Scholarship and the scholarship requires you to go back to your country after your studies, there are several routes you can take that will allow you stay back in the UK. Many people on such scholarship are still in the UK today after completing their studies. They didn't return back to Nigeria. OP can add the scholarship stipends he will get (I think £900) with other minor work will be doing in the UK. At the end of one calendar year, you will realise he would have saved more money living in the UK than living in Nigeria on a 200k salary. And who says OP must work with his Masters Ode? Even as he is schooling in the UK, he can be applying for IT positions. A friend of mine did it. He was employed as a part-time staff. When he finished his studies, he was retained full time.

It is coconut heads like you that go to the UK and can't think outside the box. Zombie!
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by livingimage(m): 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2023
Data analysis is a very good tech course, I can put you through on what you need,. Chat me up on 090.55.15.12.73. just for a very small token.
Emeskhalifa:

I wish you luck sir.

But pls which tech course did you study? Person make I do data analysis is it a good course?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by kaymart: 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2023
tosinhtml:
Stay in Nigeria to perfect your tech skills if you can defer the scholarship till next year, then that would favor you. Except you love care jobs or support jobs in the Uk, then fine.

UK is a very harsh place for starters, they don’t even hire new grads any longer except maybe you do a JP Morgan internship while you are still in school like some unilag boys do. An unbelievable crowd of people have graduated from a Uk msc and stranded, jobless doing dirty jobs.

I want to believe the company is either Flutter ave or Paystack, stay there and perfect your skills. That would have more weight than any masters.
Did you see where he mentioned 900 pounds monthly stipend?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by emmaodet: 7:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
JaskanFactor:
As fellow software engineer who works in Europe. All i can tell you is that if you got good career path in Nigeria better hold on to it.

People very seriously underestimate how rampant racism in UK can destroy not just your career but your life.

I have been to jobs as freelance robotics developer, where i did not just have to deal with racism of fellow engineers, but security guards.
So that in Europe in many cases when you go to work, it also has the risk of incident that could lead to police involvement everyday you go to work. The sort of risk you would expect from going to rowdy night club, and not place of work.

If you have something good in Nigeria, dont leave it for career in country of those who treat your people like enemy who deserve no right to life.

I haven't worked for them in over a decade , and it was a very disturbing very ugly 20 years i worked for them in over 20 companies as i realised very early in my career that permanent job offered me no real career prospects, so became freelance after 3 years out of uni.

If on the other hand you see yourself as a professional ass kisser , ready to bend over backwards for sub human level of shit behind closed doors, they will like you a lot.

If you have some morals and principles , they will ruin your career and ask you to pay for it by coming to your house to ask for taxes ,even though they block your path to real career.

Better to make your money in Nigeria and visit Europe when you feel like it ,
Ask yourself why rich Nigerians still live in Nigeria, and you can work from home for European companies now.

If you planning to go live amongst people, its good idea to know what they say about your people

https://www.bitchute.com/
That's one example of a very racist website where Europeans go talk all kinds crap about black people.
Those will be your work colleagues if you want to work in Europe.

The more high-tech the more advanced the level of intellect required in the field the more racist the place is, do you get it now.

And the only reason there aren't massive bill boards warning japa people about the dangers of racism is cause they the Europeans run Nigeria all the way down to NTA and the price of bread.

Been in Europe over forty years and i still get blood pressure every time i go grocery shopping , never mind an office. I do most of my shopping online as result of racism.

If you got good career [prospects in Nigeria, dont leave it to go work for those who are encouraging each other in their view that people who look like you dont deserve a right to life.

Hmmmmmmmmm

It's well.

What a comment.
Tbh, I will say you are somehow right.
I work in a multinational organization too and most companies have worked with are European and American companies.
Damnnmnn...I am even surprised why I haven't gotten BP by now.
The racism is crazy.
People always say tribalism is killing Nigeria but bro, tribalism is a child's play where racism is.
An Igbo may not like Yoruba but he won't despise him to the extent of avoiding using the same cup or not wanting to see you and so all.

The list is endless. I mean endless and it is the major driving force for me to fully setup biz and be totally independent because, how long will I keep doing this? It's crazy
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by JaskanFactor: 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2023
emmaodet:

Hmmmmmmmmm

It's well.

What a comment.
Tbh, I will say you are somehow right.
I work in a multinational organization too and most companies have worked with are European and American companies.
Damnnmnn...I am even surprised why I haven't gotten BP by now.
The racism is crazy.
People always say tribalism is killing Nigeria but bro, tribalism is a child's play where racism is.
An Igbo may not like Yoruba but he won't despise him to the extent of avoiding using the same cup or not wanting to see you and so all.

The list is endless. I mean endless and it is the major driving force for me to fully setup biz and be totally independent because, how long will I keep doing this? It's crazy

From my experience, you can take the dangers of racism lightly until you get older or fall sick or become vulnerable in some way, then its dangers hit you all at once.

Working for them , is like dancing on the edge of a cliff .

If you can, dont put yourself in a position where oyinbo mans money or property depends on you or your performance.

In my case i seriously downsized my standard of living , accommodation, sold my car , and moved to the cheapest town i could find in the map , just so i didnt have to work for them anymore and have time to redesign a new career for myself working from onside my house without having to see a single oyinbo person all week if i want. took nearly a decade but i thank God for progress.

In the remote small town i moved to , cobbler wont touch my shoe, tailor wont repair my clothes.

And the shops only tolerated my presence, so long as i did not go the same place too often.

But when i finally found i shop i said i will never return to due to rude behaviour , it was fellow Nigerians store.
And when the time came that i said i will never return to my doctors practice , it was when i saw their new Nigerian doctor who was so rude to me, that if i recorded what he said , he would have been struck off.

So sometimes this days , i dont give a shit what happens to black people anymore, maybe it is the fact that people who hate each other as much as black people do deserve to suffer at the hands of thier enemies until they come to thier senses.

So that the entire black race is now exhibiting symptoms of Stockholm syndrome, the stage where they fall in love with thier enemies and are disgusted by each other.

Thats why black women spend all thier money destroying thier skin and hair to look like oyinbo, literary covering thier head with thier enemies hair. Who is all too happy to sell it to them.

Hence when i see another black person in europe now, a small reflex frown flashes across my face , especially if i hear them speaking youruba , and am youruba too. The youruba people i have met in Europe have done far worse to me than the racists that make our lives hell. Youruba people wont know the cost of bad behaviour , materialistic worship till its too late. Even black Americans say this about not africans, but Yoruba.

So i wont blame you if you flee africa to escape your own people right into the hands of your enemies. Its hard place and a hard place. Cant count how many jobs i was happy to leave due to racism only for the next job to be full of hardcore Nazis.
And then if youre lucky you get old enough to realise even the people in your family are probably worse than all of them combined, and then you will really believe in and surrender to God.

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by tosinhtml: 3:02am On Aug 09, 2023
This is why context is very important. If you want to achieve a career in Tech, UK is not the place to start if you have no work experience except you want to leave Tech entirely. Getting an internship in the UK as an entry-level tech person OR getting sponsorships as entry-level is extremely & extremely difficult. Please note that this is specific to tech.

Your job is good & that's fine. If the OP wants to move to UK & study biological sciences, according to him, he MUST come back to Ng if at the end of the programme he doesn't already have a job. Which means he has to settle for any job he sees to keep him there & that is fine too, but he will forget about tech & move on.

So it depends on the career path he wants, If he wants to stay in tech, then an Internship in the Fintech company works better.

GreatChizzy:
You must really hate the U.K (leaving me to wonder why) for you to be confused wether to consider a N200k (£177) over a fully sponsored Msc scholarship with a £900 monthly stipend, which when you maximise your 20hr per week work rights, you could easily take home £1,500 Monthly.

I was making N280k Monthly in PH back in July 2021, when I migrated to the UK. Looking back now, it was the smartest decision I have ever made in my life. My brother who joined last year never stops thanking me for bringing him here whenever we talk over the phone (he's in Scotland).

Your level of pessimism about the UK is profound and it is a trend I have seen here lately. Not all Nigerian immigrant works as "Care Worker" here. I for one I'm a QA/QC Controller in a manufacturing company. The number of internaltional students who gets sponsorship and remains in the UK after their studies, is by far the few who doesn't, not to mention some who didn't have the intention to remain.

I'd say don't migrate to any place you do not love, because you wouldn't make it there. You will have to love the land to be able to eat the good thereof.

Stay in Nigeria and take the N200k job because with your pessimism about the UK; you wouldn't succeed here.

Kind Regards.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by tosinhtml: 3:11am On Aug 09, 2023
Mountbatten:
• You're passionate about IT and landed a job as a software engineer.
• You've been offered a scholarship to go study biological sciences in the UK

You pick option one, in a years time you would've gained worked experience and built competence which would increase your value in the job market.

You pick option two, finish your master's which also requires you to return to Nigeria with a cool down of about 2 years before you can return to the UK to find work. Furthermore, you won't be able to gain relevant work experience because of visa restrictions, and you'll be further away from your passion in IT.

The question is, what will you be doing when you return with your biological science master’s degree, which will basically be worth nothing? How will a master’s degree in biological sciences get you an IT job? You will end up back at square one, with a year wasted on a degree that doesn't align with your goals.

I would advise you to take option 1, as future you will be grateful.

People are just looking at the 900 Pounds involved & opportunity to stay in the UK to do support jobs. A biological science master’s degree will not even get him any where. It is a waste of degree I tell you, waste of time & money all together.

It would have been better if he doesn't have any passion in I.T, it would ease the stress of making a choice very easy for him, to just move to UK & grab any job that comes along.

1 Like

Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by tosinhtml: 3:14am On Aug 09, 2023
heroshark:

This is not the best advice. Since his offer is fully funded with a stiped of £900 per month, which as at today is over 1m. He can decide to save all the stipend while doing parttime job to offset his living expenses. At the end of the master program he will be sure of £10K in saving which is over 11m all within one year. It will take him ages to save that in Nigeria while on 200k salary.

At the end he has a UK advance degree and lot's of savings, that's a win win

This is an interesting analysis.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by kingsfelix: 6:20am On Aug 09, 2023
Iboyx:
Hi guys,
So I'll keep this as short as possible hoping to get your advice.

So I landed a software engineer role in one of the most popular fintechs in Africa, a remote role and it pays about 200k for a start.

I also have a fully funded scholarship to the UK(biological sciences) with stipends of about 900£ monthly but you must come back to Ng if at the end of the programme you do not already have a job.

I know that all things being equal in the software job in a couple of years say 3 years I should be able to triple that amount, I know guys that have done similar.

The risk of going to the UK is being stranded at the end of the programme. Worst part is the msc is not in the I.T industry. I know guys that have picked up second msc degrees cause of no job and they don't want to come back

I'm very passionate about the IT industry, I literally thought my self

What do you guys advice.ooking forward to your input. Thank you

Bro it depends wether u really want to Japa or not ...some people still prefer to stay home so long as there is a job that foots d bills...

Life in the UK is not as easy as it sounds and it's .... So follow your heart....

But if I have such tech skills I prefer to stay naija and work, working remotely even gives you more opportunities to handle more than one tech jobs if u no what i mean...
You still get tech jobs from companies abroad and work remotely from naija
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Mountbatten: 6:28am On Aug 09, 2023
Amayabor1:

Useless he-goat. You have no right to say I am short-sighted as regards this matter. So, everyone that believes OP should go to the UK are short-sighted while those of you that think otherwise are the far-sighted and wise ones abi? Idiot!

And I am telling you that once you go to the UK for on a full Scholarship and the scholarship requires you to go back to your country after your studies, there are several routes you can take that will allow you stay back in the UK. Many people on such scholarship are still in the UK today after completing their studies. They didn't return back to Nigeria. OP can add the scholarship stipends he will get (I think £900) with other minor work will be doing in the UK. At the end of one calendar year, you will realise he would have saved more money living in the UK than living in Nigeria on a 200k salary. And who says OP must work with his Masters Ode? Even as he is schooling in the UK, he can be applying for IT positions. A friend of mine did it. He was employed as a part-time staff. When he finished his studies, he was retained full time.

It is coconut heads like you that go to the UK and can't think outside the box. Zombie!

Just because you were able to throw in some insults doesn't mean you had a compelling argument. You've once again demonstrated your lack of intelligence and grace. You're an unfortunate fellow.

I am yet to see a scholarship which offers full tuition payment to the UK that doesn't require the candidate return after their studies, unless they decided to ignore the terms which violates the scholarship.

You're a simpleton, as you've completely digressed from the main point of dialogue. If OP truly has a passion for IT, going to study a Biological Sciences course will be a complete waste of time but greedy tw@ts like yourself can't see beyond the 200k salary quoted here.

Everyone starts somewhere, so 200k will only be temporary. I know many peers who started on similar “low wages” but now earn in dollar while working remotely in Nigeria because they took their careers seriously and weren't short-sighted like yourself.

I refuse to be dragged further into your level of ignorance, so I will end the discussion here and hope OP doesn't take advice from a foolish fellow as yourself.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Amayabor1: 8:20am On Aug 09, 2023
Mountbatten:

Just because you were able to throw in some insults doesn't mean you had a compelling argument. You've once again demonstrated your lack of intelligence and grace. You're an unfortunate fellow.

I am yet to see a scholarship which offers full tuition payment to the UK that doesn't require the candidate return after their studies, unless they decided to ignore the terms which violates the scholarship.

You're a simpleton, as you've completely digressed from the main point of dialogue. If OP truly has a passion for IT, going to study a Biological Sciences course will be a complete waste of time but greedy tw@ts like yourself can't see beyond the 200k salary quoted here.

Everyone starts somewhere, so 200k will only be temporary. I know many peers who started on similar “low wages” but now earn in dollar while working remotely in Nigeria because they took their careers seriously and weren't short-sighted like yourself.

I refuse to be dragged further into your level of ignorance, so I will end the discussion here and hope OP doesn't take advice from a foolish fellow as yourself.

You can't be a dimwit and still be useless at the same time. There are legal, safe routes that you can explore to stay back in the UK even after you complete your studies. That they told you to go back to your country after your study is not a rule cast in stone. That is what I am letting you block head know.

You talked about your friends who started small and now they are earning in dollars. What of those that started small but were later fired for one reason or the other (e.g the company folding up)? Or those who have been on a particular salary grade for 2-4 years now?

OP has a better chance of saving more money throughout the duration of his masters program in the UK than if he was to stay in Nigeria with a 200k monthly salary within the same period.

OP has a better chance of getting a good offer from IT companies in the UK (even on a part time basis as a graduate student).

But despite these compelling evidences, you still want him to remain in Nigeria all in the hope that he will soon be earning in dollars. Buffon! I hope you don't have younger ones that you advise?
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Odunna1(m): 8:22am On Aug 09, 2023
Go for UK scholarship. Only side jobs there will fetch you more than five hundred thousand naira monthly.
Re: Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship by Segzy23: 9:14am On Aug 09, 2023
JaskanFactor:
As fellow software engineer who works in Europe. All i can tell you is that if you got good career path in Nigeria better hold on to it.

People very seriously underestimate how rampant racism in UK can destroy not just your career but your life.

I have been to jobs as freelance robotics developer, where i did not just have to deal with racism of fellow engineers, but security guards.
So that in Europe in many cases when you go to work, it also has the risk of incident that could lead to police involvement everyday you go to work. The sort of risk you would expect from going to rowdy night club, and not place of work.

If you have something good in Nigeria, dont leave it for career in country of those who treat your people like enemy who deserve no right to life.

I haven't worked for them in over a decade , and it was a very disturbing very ugly 20 years i worked for them in over 20 companies as i realised very early in my career that permanent job offered me no real career prospects, so became freelance after 3 years out of uni.

If on the other hand you see yourself as a professional ass kisser , ready to bend over backwards for sub human level of shit behind closed doors, they will like you a lot.

If you have some morals and principles , they will ruin your career and ask you to pay for it by coming to your house to ask for taxes ,even though they block your path to real career.

Better to make your money in Nigeria and visit Europe when you feel like it ,
Ask yourself why rich Nigerians still live in Nigeria, and you can work from home for European companies now.

If you planning to go live amongst people, its good idea to know what they say about your people

https://www.bitchute.com/
That's one example of a very racist website where Europeans go talk all kinds crap about black people.
Those will be your work colleagues if you want to work in Europe.

The more high-tech the more advanced the level of intellect required in the field the more racist the place is, do you get it now.

And the only reason there aren't massive bill boards warning japa people about the dangers of racism is cause they the Europeans run Nigeria all the way down to NTA and the price of bread.

Been in Europe over forty years and i still get blood pressure every time i go grocery shopping , never mind an office. I do most of my shopping online as result of racism.

If you got good career [prospects in Nigeria, dont leave it to go work for those who are encouraging each other in their view that people who look like you dont deserve a right to life.

You are living in the Europe of Hell - which I don't know. Your world must be crazy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Airtel’s Indians To Reduce Staff Salary By At Least 60%: Strike Action Looms / How To Pass Personality Tests / Lagos State Ministry Vs LIRS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.