Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J (26769 Views)

How To Transfer From State Government Teaching To Ministry / Should I Quit My Job And Continue With Business / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by MessiahOfAfrica(m): 5:35pm On Aug 06, 2023
Blackazuma99:
Take the government job, ghost it and return to your private job, government work is 35years compared to private, I doubt if the private school will keep paying you after 6 years with them.

Ghosting Government Jobs is The Reason for Our Failures in Nigeria.

Then, We complain about The Poor Economy.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by pikechukwu6(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2023
I now see you will find it difficult to ride Benz. Good luck. take the government job grin
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Nice2023(m): 5:38pm On Aug 06, 2023
pacificom:
Government Jobs provide better opportunities than private. Private jobs are pay as you go. If they are paying you e.g N200k, they will use the money value out of you. While government job can leave you chance for side hussle. With government job, you can easily secure good loan to setup a private business to manage after hour. But private job will occupy most of your day time that you will hardly have time for your family, talk less of any side hussle.

U mean it.

But I disagree with u.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2023
iSense247:
Who told you this lie?
the principal in the government school i served in Ogun state earn close to 500k. Level 17
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Iseoluwani: 5:42pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends
Please advise me, I recently got a government teaching slot in a primary school, where I would probably earn 70k for a start ,but where I work presently in a private school where I teach government I earn 100k as basic salary and private lessons give me 40k monthly

Should I quit the private school for a government school? For job security

It depends on your state
I have seen level 10 leave oyo state to start level 8 at lagos
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by skj1377(m): 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2023
Go for private you can do extra lesson in 10 places a month . At the moment am paying N30k per child and I have 2. It's the same lesson teacher ooo. From extra lesson she gets close to N300k and her salary is just N95k in the private school my children attend.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Westwood2580: 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2023
UnfairLife7:
government primary school o. I don't think i will advise op to accept it. If it were government secondary school then it's fair. Secondary school that he can get to principal and also get some juicy position before or after retirement. A principal in a government secondary school can earn close to 700k
which principal abi u mean through corruption proceed
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2023
indoorlove:
Not even close. A principal in government secondary school take home is between 250k to 350k. I'm very sure about that.
the principal in the government secondary school i served in Ogun state earn close to 500k. Lagos State pay better

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by 007kjb: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends
Please advise me, I recently got a government teaching slot in a primary school, where I would probably earn 70k for a start ,but where I work presently in a private school where I teach government I earn 100k as basic salary and private lessons give me 40k monthly

Go for government primary,u will have time to get more certs.and apply for secondary School jobs
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by toluleke(m): 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2023
People that have nothing to offer will remain in public just to occupy space, not carrying out their part of the contract and blame government. I left government job because of the redundancy. If you love your career stay in private build it and have this Capitalist mindset. Even those in Government how many finally develop themselves or have a business. Stability in government job with the level of inflation in the country, if you ain't stealing you will hardly live a good life, except you have a high Juicy government job where money flow due to corruption also. Private firm now have pension just the gratuity part and what is the essence of gratuity with no business idea in your head. Skipping work is also an offence and is that what you pray your kids emulate. How many could do extra work let say you close by 2pm or 4pm without self determination. The world is more advance save money and invest and stop looking for extra income of shop.
NB: There are government job for career development If it relate to your field

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by sherylbaky(f): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2023
Of course, most of them are in Lagos though
sheDD:

I have nothing for u
Follow ur heart
But I'm curious to know
I'm legit surprised
Like there are private schools that pays teachers something above 30k
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by OlujobaSamuel: 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2023
If you are for job security, go for govt, if for the money, go for private.
Btw, you no mention the state, hope no be state wey go owe you claiming teacher reward dey heaven
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Magnifashion: 5:57pm On Aug 06, 2023
Take the government job.
You can also become a part-time teacher in the private job instead of leaving the job completely thereby retaining your lessons.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Soundminded: 5:58pm On Aug 06, 2023
Thank you mods for pushing this to front page
Thank you all for the contribution too
I'm 33 years and I'm currently based in Lagos
I think I will go with the government job.
Thanks to everyone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Watcharena: 5:58pm On Aug 06, 2023
Hoelujohn:

Dey play. If. You don't use 35 years or u are 65 years of age, no pension once it's voluntarily retirement.
not pensionable service is 10 to 15 years defending on the mda you're working
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by AVECDEO: 5:58pm On Aug 06, 2023
ChatterHouse:
grin

From frypan to fire

This is far from truth.

Government teachers are very frugal with the help of their various cooperatives unions. They have been able to sail even though not always smoothly.

Securing a Government job would also give you ample time to do other things like setting up your own private tutorials or other forms of businesses. The environment and colleagues will teach you the ropes and you'll also learn a great lot from their experiences.

I wish you all the best.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by ultimateprof: 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends

I teach English and Literature effectively, kindly contact me if your school need one.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by OlujobaSamuel: 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2023
sheDD:

I have nothing for u
Follow ur heart
But I'm curious to know
I'm legit surprised
Like there are private schools that pays teachers something above 30k
Yes ooo, a friend of mine was earning 30k around 2013 at a pry sch around iyana iba, Lagos (not highbrow)
I do see married men teaching in the sch, no ssce holder, I was curious so I asked my friend the pay.
Btw, their tuition is one of the most affordable within the environment.
A sis currently earns above 50k with accomodation.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Yankee101: 6:01pm On Aug 06, 2023
They’re about to increase salaries for govt jobs
Take the govt job
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
very true and this private school where I work, I don't have time for my life, sometimes I work Monday to Saturday. I don't have time for any other thing
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Integrafamoo: 6:04pm On Aug 06, 2023
UnfairLife7:
government primary school o. I don't think i will advise op to accept it. If it were government secondary school then it's fair. Secondary school that he can get to principal and also get some juicy position before or after retirement. A principal in a government secondary school can earn close to 700k
Professors don't earn 700k
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by ozo13(m): 6:04pm On Aug 06, 2023
Wodu89:
Don't. If you're even sacked you can establish a more robust private tutorial center and earn more. Don't look back, God has elevated you already, keep looking forward and avoid distractions

Minimum wage is about to be doubled 100% - This will take effect within the next two months. So if this is an attraction for you, you may put it into your list of considerations
good points in both paragraph

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2023
Integrafamoo:

Professors don't earn 700k
the school principal in the government secondary school i served in Ogun state earn close to 500k

Lagos state pay more
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2023
I'll take 70k public school because I have experienced private school they will use you like 🛠
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Smooyis(m): 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2023
Public school is better. Choose wisely
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Juliearth(f): 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends

As much as the private job may seem mouth-watering, I would advise you to Port to the new offer. Job security, flexibility of work schedule, the possibility of doubling your hustle and so on are my reasons for thinking in this line. Moreover, you can still maintain connect in the private school and still get private lessons. This however, boils down to your rapport with your colleagues

All the best!
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Soundminded: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2023
baylow85:
Pls just follow this. I was earning 82k in a private school in 2016. December of that same year, I was employed by the lasg, and the salary was 52k after all deductions. But today, my salary is above 100k and some of my colleagues in the private school have been sacked, while some are still there collecting less than 100k. There is flexibility in govt sch, compare to private. You will have a mind of your own. No issue on contributory pension, and ur bonuses will be paid as at when due. Private schools will look at you as if they are doing u favour without looking at ur input. pls pick the govt sch.
Thank you
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by yewit37486: 6:16pm On Aug 06, 2023
SpicyMimi:

To do other things right? Reason public schools in Nigeria are so bad.

As in. See one other person telling him to take the government job, ghost it and be doing his own stuff. Yet, these are the people expecting good governance when they are no better. Many Nigerian citizens deserve the govt they get.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Godswill41(m): 6:16pm On Aug 06, 2023
If private school is 200k and public school is 50k I will go for public school.... Job security and more time to do other businesses

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Desusi: 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2023
BoboNogoDie:
grin

Only an enemy of progress will tell you to reject the government offer.

Though the salary is very poor, government jobs are more flexible. You'll have enough time for other things. Also and more importantly, There's more job security than a private school.
There's job security,leave bonus,kangaroo induction course which can earn him/her extra money,plus side hussle, etc.The enjoyment is unlimited.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by EleventhWeirdo: 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2023
Blackazuma99:
Take the government job, ghost it and return to your private job, government work is 35years compared to private, I doubt if the private school will keep paying you after 6 years with them.

"Ghost it? " This is one of the shameless people encouraging and perpetrating corruption and still turn around to blame the government for how low we have sunk as a society. Now, government is trying to employ a teacher to tend to the educational needs of our little citizens at primary school level. You advised him to accept the job and then ghost it by possibly bribing those in charge; what then haopens to the children? Who will teach and nurture them? And later you will lament that we tail behind in technology, healthcare, and other critical sectors, right? God will punish whoever gives or takes this moronic and wicked advice IJN, AMEN!!!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by BigIyanga: 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2023
baylow85:
Pls just follow this. I was earning 82k in a private school in 2016. December of that same year, I was employed by the lasg, and the salary was 52k after all deductions. But today, my salary is above 100k and some of my colleagues in the private school have been sacked, while some are still there collecting less than 100k. There is flexibility in govt sch, compare to private. You will have a mind of your own. No issue on contributory pension, and ur bonuses will be paid as at when due. Private schools will look at you as if they are doing u favour without looking at ur input. pls pick the govt sch.
So you’re going overlook N50k/m x 12=N600k all in the name of job security? So what if the govt owes salaries and arrears without promotion? If he/she invests that N600k differential in fixed deposit/treasury bills/land… when it compounds in 5-10yrs, she/she would be better off.
You would want him/her to quit a private job and start afresh where it may take 5yrs to get confirmed as a govt worker. An erratic govt might come and sack them in order to bring their own candidates. Job security is an illusion to get one trappped

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Apply For AOS Orwell Graduate Trainee Recruitment / IPI Powertech Graduate Trainee Recruitment Program 2017 / Employment Test: 1+1=? Justify Your Assertion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.