Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? (12579 Views)

Married Couples: How Do You Cope With Temptation To Cheat? / Married And Clubbing / Mention The Year You Will Like To Get Married And At What Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by AngelGabbyShara(m): 7:30pm On Aug 12, 2023
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
joelsky:
Hehehe, mine was church-arranged proposal. I visited The marriage committee and told them of my desire to marry her. The committee fixed a date for the proposals after all the necessary interview and tests were conducted and deemed satisfactory.

Prior to that day, I had never approached the sister for any form of discussion related to love or marriage apart from greetings.

On that day set for the proposal, Nov 11 2017, I waited at the church premises (venue for the proposal) with my head full of the love sentences I had crammed. Immediately she arrived, my God! All the words I crammed disappeared. (I'm a very shy person and practically she was the first lady I was able to speak to/ toast/propose to. The other ladies I have had as friends, I couldn't speak to them, they had to be the one to toast me grin) Chai, I didn't know when I told her 'all the words have disappeared'. grin

It wasn't funny, she just replied it is well (and all became well). I just had to speak by fire by force, new set of words I never imagined came that moment.

I can still remember what I said,
... "God is not the author of confusion. I prayed for a woman who I would love, and who would be a perfect helpmate throughout all life's challenges and who would assist me on my journey to heaven and God revealed you to me. From that moment, there was genuine peace in my heart and I have loved you with all my heart since then. I sincerely love you and want you to be my wife."

She didn't say no. But she said she would go and pray about it. However, with the drama that took place before I spoke to her. I already believed she would later tell me a no. To add fuel to my fears, I was supposed to accompany her to the road for her to take a ride. However, her facial expression showed she wasn't enjoying my company, she walked very fast and left me.

Well, I finally got a yes after 3 (three) months. And we have been happily married for 5 (five) years.

Deeper Life
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by ukaface(f): 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
Zigzagman:
Note. 73% of men who are married didn't propose to their wives. It's the wife who wanted the marriage.

So get your head out of lalaland and face the music
Wahala
The women wanted the marriage and the men stupidly agreed Abi?
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by SamuelLoch: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2023
joelsky:
Hehehe, mine was church-arranged proposal. I visited The marriage committee and told them of my desire to marry her. The committee fixed a date for the proposals after all the necessary interview and tests were conducted and deemed satisfactory.

Prior to that day, I had never approached the sister for any form of discussion related to love or marriage apart from greetings.

On that day set for the proposal, Nov 11 2017, I waited at the church premises (venue for the proposal) with my head full of the love sentences I had crammed. Immediately she arrived, my God! All the words I crammed disappeared. (I'm a very shy person and practically she was the first lady I was able to speak to/ toast/propose to. The other ladies I have had as friends, I couldn't speak to them, they had to be the one to toast me grin) Chai, I didn't know when I told her 'all the words have disappeared'. grin

It wasn't funny, she just replied it is well (and all became well). I just had to speak by fire by force, new set of words I never imagined came that moment.

I can still remember what I said,
... "God is not the author of confusion. I prayed for a woman who I would love, and who would be a perfect helpmate throughout all life's challenges and who would assist me on my journey to heaven and God revealed you to me. From that moment, there was genuine peace in my heart and I have loved you with all my heart since then. I sincerely love you and want you to be my wife."

She didn't say no. But she said she would go and pray about it. However, with the drama that took place before I spoke to her. I already believed she would later tell me a no. To add fuel to my fears, I was supposed to accompany her to the road for her to take a ride. However, her facial expression showed she wasn't enjoying my company, she walked very fast and left me.

Well, I finally got a yes after 3 (three) months. And we have been happily married for 5 (five) years.

Wow! This was fun to read.

I'm not surprised that she didn't give you a yes at first. I mean, that's your first time of talking to her.
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Bellotelli: 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2023
Samantha124:
I'm not, just engaged for now.
Pray you don't become lord of the ring 🙏
For me., don't know yet.
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by obinna58(m): 7:43pm On Aug 12, 2023
Simps thread grin
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Midoda: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2023
nepapole:
I didn't propose sha...

To me, its not necessary

I was never going to date without the intention of marriage.

So from the first day, she knew I was in to marry her.
Are you me?
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by joelsky: 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Samantha124:
Wait, so you got married to someone you never dated before

Yes. Prior to the proposal, we never dated. I didn't even know her. I only know she was God's plan for me because I received a definite confirmation after months of praying for a partner.

I was already comfortable, I had a stable business and was working for a private firm. So my prayer everyday was for God to give me a spouse that would grant me real peace. I was so concerned about getting the right spouse because I have been opportune to witness marriages that failed due to the fact that the parties were not compatible.

I have always had that confidence that when I called upon God in prayer, I would get whatever I needed. The business and the job I got were all answers to prayers. When it was time to get married, I prayed and got confirmation she was the one through a dream. So I didn't need to have any fear about compatibility. I knew she was God's plan for me in marriage. And so far, my experience with her during the last 5 years have proved she was the perfect match for me.

9 Likes

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by joelsky: 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
Skyview01:

Deeper Life

Exactly grin

1 Like

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2023
Nah, the wedding date is already set.

Bellotelli:

Pray you don't become lord of the ring 🙏
For me., don't know yet.
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
Wow! I'm speechless.

I have many questions to ask you, but I'm just weak.
joelsky:

Yes. Prior to the proposal, we never dated. I didn't even know her. I only know she was God's plan for me because I received a definite confirmation after months of praying for a partner.

I was already comfortable, I had a stable business and was working for a private firm. So my prayer everyday was for God to give me a spouse that would grant me real peace. I was so concerned about getting the right spouse because I have been opportune to witness marriages that failed due to the fact that the parties were not compatible.

I have always had that confidence that when I called upon God in prayer, I would get whatever I needed. The business and the job I got were all answers to prayers. When it was time to get married, I prayed and got confirmation she was the one through a dream. So I didn't need to have any fear about compatibility. I knew she was God's plan for me in marriage. And so far, my experience with her during the last 5 years have proved she was the perfect match for me.

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 12, 2023
joelsky:

Exactly grin

Enjoy bro!
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by joelsky: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
Samantha124:
Wow! I'm speechless.

I have many questions to ask you, but I'm just weak.

Go ahead and ask your questions. This night I don't have much to do so I should be able to answer then.

1 Like

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
Nope, it's fine.
joelsky:

Go ahead and ask your questions. This night I don't have much to do so I should be able to answer then.
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by SonofGod231: 10:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
We met during her nysc service year and a year later she wanted me to visit her people with my people with palm wine and kolanuts.
I told her plainly,I wasn't cut out for marriage. She persisted that she was 29 already and that she wasn't getting any younger,that when would she start having kids?! To her she didn't see any tangible reason why I was single. So I agreed and asked her to give me time, before the year runs out.
So we kept it going. At least the nagging reduced but her perspective of things became stylishly focused on family and kids. She would want us to buy and wear shoot and shoot and every now and then she would bring me books like preparing for marriage,You Your wife and family, Stop complaining start having sex etc. And then we would visit orphanage and motherless babies homes or she would force me to pediatrics wards where abandoned babies are,some mums abscond leaving their new borns beyond. Our life style became couple themed and bordered around doing
the needful. To cut the long story short, exactly 8months on, I invited a few family and all my friends to a Chinese restaurant. Told her a mutual friend invited us for a dinner. With the way I talked about the get together she never wanted us to miss it for anything. She even told me the day before to remind me,I pretended like I don't know if we should even go. She pleaded that we shouldn't miss it for anything.
It was around 8pm when we got to the venue that,all my friends, colleagues with their wives and chicx,my sister's amongst others were already dinning, eating and drinking .
We came in,greeted and did one or two pleasantries before sitting for desert.
So while we were still expecting the main course meal.
She was served an empty covered dish with the inscription "Will you marry me"? Boldly written in Red.
She turned to the right but I was standing right behind her. Then suddenly,this music with me saying "Renee, would you marry me?! Then everyone is clapping and cheering, while she seemed surprised and still confused i poked her as she turned I knelt down brought a wonderful piece of ring and asked her verbally" I would like to have this dance forever ". She seemed shy and almost fainted on us. But she kept nodding in affirmative,took me up with the kisss of life and we kind of hugged forever coz she wouldn't let go.
2months later the Jazz wiped off my eyes and I came back to my senses and called off the engagement.
Though we part ways peacefully and calmly but she never returned or gave me back my ring and other stuffs.
Note: I'm having an ongoing therapy for my women issues. My parents won't let me breath.
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by maasoap(m): 10:58pm On Aug 12, 2023
SamuelLoch:
This thread is supposed to be interesting but the kind people wey flood this platform nowadays won't let the thread be reasonable and fun. Just look at the first few comments.

If it was IG or Twitter now, you would read amazing experiences.

We need to do better especially with the Tribalism bullshit 😒

Well, I would have loved to contribute but I never marry/engage

Met her at occasion and collected her number, that's all. Going 12 years now
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by maasoap(m): 11:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
SonofGod231:
But she kept nodding in affirmative,took me up with the kisss of life and we kind of hugged forever coz she wouldn't let go.
2months later the Jazz wiped off my eyes and I came back to my senses and called off the engagement.
Though we part ways peacefully and calmly but she never returned or gave me back my ring and other stuffs.
Note: I'm having an ongoing therapy for my women issues. My parents won't let me breath.

Jazz indeed grin grin grin
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by tarboshi(m): 11:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
Proposed with
- bride price
- plenty palm wine
- enough food and drinks
In the presence of her parents, siblings and extended family members and guests. That is real marriage proposal

2 Likes

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Klass99(f): 11:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by emmyN(m): 1:25am On Aug 13, 2023
joelsky:

She didn't like you? What made her change her mind?
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by tosyne2much(m): 6:59am On Aug 13, 2023
GboyegaD:
I didn't do the formal proposal ooo. What is our aim of dating if not getting married? We just continued how discussion from the kind of home we want, the extent of sacrifice we are willing to put in, wedding plans etc.
My brother, I also did not propose.. I'm a man of action, I no get time for all those proposal drama that people do cheesy

I told her I would be coming to visit her people and the first visit would be a normal visit while the second one would be to collect list and start the marriage plans.. She was shocked and thought it was a joke. Like a said, I'm a man of action not a man of drama

There was a time she said that I didn't even propose to her and I told her that maybe we should pend the marriage plans so that I can propose first

She say she no want any proposal say make we proceed cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by DenreleDave(m): 7:10am On Aug 13, 2023
tosyne2much:
My brother, I also did not propose.. I'm a man of action, I no get time for all those proposal drama that people do cheesy

I told her I would be coming to visit her people and the first visit would be a normal visit while the second one would be to collect list and start the marriage plans.. She was shocked and thought it was a joke. Like a said, I'm a man of action not a man of drama

There was a time she said that I didn't even propose to her and I told her that maybe we should pend the marriage plans so that I can propose first

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by DenreleDave(m): 7:12am On Aug 13, 2023
Klass99:

Please come I have questions;

1. What did you dream? As in what was the dream you dreamt to convince you she was the one? You know how Joseph dreamt of the sun, moon and 11 stars bowing down to him bah, what was your dream?

2. Did you guys implement a no sex policy during the dating and courtship phase? If yes, was that hard or easy to do? Did you even date for any reasonable length of time?

3. How long did you pray before receiving an answer and revelation? Did you combine your prayers with fasting?

I am curious because I have never seen or heard a man say he did what you did prior to marriage. In Naija people act like it is something only women do or it is only meant for women.

I want to marry you but I won't propose,

Not necessary
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Finestgurlie(f): 7:13am On Aug 13, 2023
DenreleDave:

I want to marry you but I won't propose,

Not necessary
😭😭😭😭😭
you're breaking my heart

no problem Doti masters are coming.
5 years pre-contract for you
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 13, 2023
But I think telling her that you want to come and see her people is a traditional way of proposing as an African man.

Because remember that as Africans, no man should want to come and see his girlfriend's parents unless he's ready to marry her.
tosyne2much:

1 Like

Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Klass99(f): 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2023
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by MICVOCT(m): 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2023
tosyne2much:

Smile.... good you
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by DenreleDave(m): 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2023
Klass99:

cheesy I see the weed is still talking....

How do you plan on making that happen if you don't pop the question to first know the answer?

You think every woman is so desperate for marriage that you assume their default reaction, response or answer would be yes, abi?

1. I dont take weed nor any thing related to such

2. I was just being direct abt the question.

3. I have never for once said nor thought every woman is desperate for marriage and i dont assume their answer will be yes. Please do not miscontrue my intention
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by Klass99(f): 1:58pm On Aug 13, 2023
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by DenreleDave(m): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2023
Klass99:

This is still playful banter, right? I assumed you were joking and responded in that manner. My reference to your weed smoking came from that other thread where you were insisting married men have no responsibility in the extra marital affairs that abound. Of course I don't believe you smoke weed because I don't know that for certain. I didn't misconstrue your intentions I just introduced a new angle to the conversation.

Understand... We cool
Re: Married And Engaged Couples: How Did He Propose? by joelsky: 3:09pm On Aug 13, 2023
emmyN:

She didn't like you? What made her change her mind?

I don't understand. She delayed in giving a yes answer. That was fine to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Of These Did You Do As A Child? / 21 Years Old Boy Marries 52 Years Old Woman / Women! Please Stay With Your Husbands:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.