Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging - TV/Movies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging (43279 Views)

10 Things You Probably Missed In Jagun Jagun / Download Esin By Femi Adebayo Movie MP4 / "Alero's Diary" Nollywood Movie Gets Positive Reviews Online (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
sunboy:

Okay, I called out many of your wrong assumptions up there.

For the gidigbo, yes it is for pleasure. And in special times like they portrayed in that movies, warriors could be ask to fight to death and the winner gets a reward. Also, in war times… digigbo is a war skill.. just like Judo and jui jistu are war skills they are also games.

Karate is a war skill and also a game. Being a competition don’t mean it’s exclusively competitive.

In the movie, they even portrayed the use of jazz to support his skills. The warriors had stuff tied to their arms to give them extra strength.

Lets me mash up our own story.

So you agreed that you misrepresented the bolded in your previous post.

Cite an example where warriors were asked to fight to death in Yoruba history. I will be willing to learn from you.

Why would a movie like Jagunjagun not show the art of war, especially how Ogundiji consults his gods? It's a critical part. Did Ogunjimi lead a war as a general in the movie?

Painting Ogundiji as a bad person after being shown to rescue a king at the beginning didn't add up. They should have dug deep to come up with a fantastic reason .

"Atamo atamo" ni in Yoruba Language.
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by iamdapsyj(m): 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
Codes151:
i no be ipob nor igbo... india and SA are getting better, we are dwelling in sentiments

that move isnt 10/10...

no movie in the world has gathered 10/10...
send the movie to IMDB and u will see that its 2 or 3 /10

If it's not rated highly, why is the movie been streamed top 10 in over 17 countries in just 48 hours. Anybody that says the movie is 10/10 is just an expression that the movie is good not necessarily perfect. I personally will rate it 7.5-8/10 and that is based on what I look for in a movie

We too dey rate all these foreign movies that have their flaws as well. If I should begin to highlight the many flaws in SISU, John Wick and so others, you will cringe.

But an average Nigerian will be jumping upandan to praise those foreign movies like they are perfect.

We still haven't declut our colonial mentality in Africa just yet. Foreigners still holding many Africans mentally even when they no more occupy our land

3 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Sweetvie: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2023
Sweetvie:
The movie seems interesting grin grin
Just finished watching the movie. It's good and I think it gonna have part 2.

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MMG01(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
Akasammyoka:
I must get you on this, CU's am hitting my translator to be sure you are honest this time.
How is it going??
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by sunboy(m): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

So you agreed that you misrepresented the bolded in your previous post.

Cite and example where warriors were asked to fight to death in Yoruba history. I will be willing to learn from you.

Why would a movie like Jagunjagun not show the art of war, especially how Ogundiji consults his gods? It's a critical part. Did Ogunjimi lead a war as a general in the movie?

Painting Ogundiji as a bad person after being shown to rescue a king at the beginning didn't add up. They should have dug deep to come up with a fantastic reason .

"Atamo atamo" ni in Yoruba Language.

Again, you are picking one phrase out of many sentences, very funny.

Gidigbo is a sport, a war skill, and also entertainment. So is Judo, Karate, and jui jistu.

When you have time, here is a free read for you about Gidigbo, the Yoruba martial art.

This article speaks to its entertaining, cultural, and even its arena display, and its war usage.

https://www.blacfoundation.org/pdf/GIDIGBO.pdf

Black man, know your history ✌🏾

2 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 4:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
sunboy:

Again, you are picking one phrase out of many sentences, very funny.

Gidigbo is a sport, a war skill, and also entertainment. So is Judo, Karate, and jui jistu.

When you have time, here is a free read for you about Gidigbo, the Yoruba martial art.

This article speaks to its entertaining, cultural, and even its arena display, and its war usage.

https://www.blacfoundation.org/pdf/GIDIGBO.pdf

Black man, know your history ✌🏾

Stop sounding this way to remain correct.

You have conceded that Yoruba does not use "gidigbo" to fight to death, rather it is for pleasure.

Thats the crux of our discourse. Case closed
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Codes151(m): 5:13pm On Aug 12, 2023
iamdapsyj:

If it's not rated highly, why is the movie been streamed top 10 in over 17 countries in just 48 hours. Anybody that says the movie is 10/10 is just an expression that the movie is good not necessarily perfect. I personally will rate it 7.5-8/10 and that is based on what I look for in a movie

We too dey rate all these foreign movies that have their flaws as well. If I should begin to highlight the many flaws in SISU, John Wick and so others, you will cringe.

But an average Nigerian will be jumping upandan to praise those foreign movies like they are perfect. well, the movie is 3,4 not 7

We still haven't declut our colonial mentality in Africa just yet. Foreigners still holding many Africans mentally even when they no more occupy our land
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Mccullum: 5:14pm On Aug 12, 2023
The movie is classical, I enjoyed it and it's not easy to read how it'll end.

Femi Adebayo tried on this work.

I give him kudos.

3 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Codes151(m): 5:14pm On Aug 12, 2023
Nauttyprof:

Did you watch the movie to the end? I mean from the beginning to the end without skipping any part of the scenes?
i did.. there is room for improvement, its not bad.. but definitely not a 10 like he said
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by dragunov: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

How do I respond to a lost soul who called his people "monkey" like a racist Caucasian over movie rating?

Must I have the same experience as you?
Sorry, Mr Monkeydeen.🤪🤪
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by sunboy(m): 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

You have conceded that Yoruba does not use "gidigbo" to fight to death, rather it is for pleasure.

Concede? Again, go read what I typed again. I never agreed with your distortion of our history.

And no, it wasn’t the crux of the discourse, you ignored other facts you were wrong about 😊

Whatever makes you feel good bro, Peace ✌🏾

2 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Nauttyprof(m): 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
Codes151:
i did.. there is room for improvement, its not bad.. but definitely not a 10 like he said

So, it is a 2/10, right?

This just expose your sentiments. A 2/10 movie would definitely be one where you can't watch from beginning to the end. Just keep deceiving yourself.

Like I said, your tribe has not done anything near this in the past decade or in recent times.

2 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by BoldBrainz(m): 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2023
God will judge all of you who made me waste 700 megabytes of my data downloading this Jagun Jagun of a movie!

A movie of 2 hours and 15 minutes ended up with 30 minutes of slow motion scenes.

The costuming is impressive. Cinematography is commendable, especially with the panning of cameras from aerial and panoramic views. The various locations and settings can't be criticised. The expert rendition of African proverbs is to die for. The display of the Yoruba culture and traditions is pretty expository. Debo Adebayo's face is a plus for me, cause I have a liking for his person. The cumulative soundtracks came off impressively as well.

But just like Anikulapo, the storyline is bland. What some of you consider to be plot twists are really very predictable additions that any smart viewer can put together before it even comes up. 60 percent of the interpretation of roles, came off poorly. Don't even get me started on the wack graphics and effects. If there's to be a sequel, I don't even want to know about it.

Movie is a 6 on 10. And Mr Macaroni owns 1 percent from that 6.

For the record, whoever compares this gabbage to "The Woman King" needs to be shot in the back of the head. Woman King is the best home movie made to portray the Yoruba struggles and dynasty in the last 5years. It is disrespectful even listing it in the same sentence with this movie or Anikulapo.. !

Una go hype movie make person go watch nonsense take spoil him mood!

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by jeff1607(m): 6:13pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

No one says Yorubas never use swords. A typical Yoruba warriors would consult ifa, Ogun and other gods before proceeding on a war.

How many wars did Ogunjimi fight? What establishes him as Jagunjagun?

I repeat the movie is inspired by David and Saul story plus Spartacus movie. Go and watch "Anikulapo" movie. You will understand the depth compared to this hyped movie.

Yorubas just don't go to war fighting like Spartacus, fighting with swords and shields, without consulting their gods..

The stubborn warrior chiefs then do so, hence the reason some of them were banished

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 6:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
jeff1607:

The stubborn warrior chiefs then do so, hence the reason some of them were banished

Not that the so called stubborn warrior chiefs would not consult the gods. They would consult the gods and the gods would tell them not to go but they would insist on going.
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by iamdapsyj(m): 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
[quote author=Codes151 post=125063803][/quote]

Lol 😆🤣.... don't generalize. Be specific that it's a 3 for you and not everyone else as the streams have shown..

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 6:21pm On Aug 12, 2023
Acidosis:

They tried to copy Woman King ke?

Woman King is a horrible movie (though this might not be the case for those unfamiliar with the actual history of Dahomey). Besides, the movie reeks of lame scenes. There is nothing to compare.

cc: @BoldBrainz
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by BoldBrainz(m): 6:23pm On Aug 12, 2023
Acidosis:

They tried to copy Woman King ke?

Woman King is a horrible movie (though this might not be the case for those unfamiliar with the actual history of Dahomey). Besides, the movie reeks of lame scenes. There is nothing to compare.

This has to be a joke right?

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by NoToPile: 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2023
Let me go and watch, people I know say it's a good movie.

Lots of good Yoruba epic movies these days, Nollywood is getting better.

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 6:27pm On Aug 12, 2023
HydraFeeds:
you’re wrong again ,the Yorubas used to have arena to fight ,where do you think the name ękę comes from ?

An arena to fight to death like the Romans?? shocked shocked
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by jeff1607(m): 6:38pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

Not that the so called stubborn warrior chiefs would not consult the gods. They would consult the gods and the gods would tell them not to go but they would insist on going.

It is not every war the gods are consulted especially when it has been foretold and people or the king is against it or when they are invaded
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 6:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
jeff1607:

It is not every war the gods are consulted especially when it has been foretold and people or the king is against it or when they are invaded

Who "foretold" it? Is it not Ifa?

The one that invades would have consulted the gods before the invasion. The one being invaded is only reacting to the attack (defending their villages), they are not the one that go into war.
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Olufemiolaolu(m): 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:
Wacky storyline. Nice visual effect.

Yorubas don't fight like Spartacus in war or in a fight challenge, the ending is so predictable and the story line is so tacky - A bad replica of "the woman king" movie.

Yorubas don't fight wars without consulting ifa, Ogun and other gods for directions. How many wars did Ogunjimi fight in the movie that made him Jagunjagun? War is taken seriously in Yorubaland and always well thought through and prepared for. The movie never reflects this.

The movie presents an invasion under the guise of a war

Femi Adebayo, dressing like a roman king, which I found so alien - should not have acted that part - Chatta or Lalude could have been spot on.

Wars were fought like Romans army with swords, without any consultation with the gods. Yorubas used charms, and other weapons, to fight in their wars but due consultations would be made to the gods.

Yorubas also don't have arenas, like the Romans, where they fight to death. Only Romans do. Local wrestling in Yoruba is for entertainment purposes.

All in all, for me:

Story Line - 20%

Visual Effect - 65%

PR (Hyping of the movie) - 100%

Please note, it is my experience, which I am entitled to. You are free to rate it as 100%.

Anikulapo movie still remains distant number 1 it's easier to criticize, go and produce your own movie now, if it's that easy.

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by alpontif(m): 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2023
My problem with the Jagun Jagun movie was the very bad storyline...and some parts of the SET, for example, why are you showing houses that has IRON roofing sheets in a movie set in the 18th Century?

Why can you not create SPEARs that appear straight?

Why are you Slaughtering a foe with the blunt other side of a sabre that has one Cutting side?

And by the way, the town populace is far too small. The armies too small. The calvary too small.

For example, in history, the rearguard of Alaafin orompotoniyun is said to consist of at least 1000 infantry and 1000 calvary.

The only warrior whosee acting is believable is the second in command gbogunmi

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Nauttyprof(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2023
alpontif:
My problem with the Jagun Jagun movie was the very bad storyline...and some parts of the SET, for example, why are you showing houses that has IRON roofing sheets in a movie set in the 18th Century?

Why can you not create SPEARs that appear straight?

Why are you Slaughtering a foe with the blunt other side of a sabre that has one Cutting side?

And by the way, the town populace is far too small. The armies too small. The calvary too small.

For example, in history, the rearguard of Alaafin orompotoniyun is said to consist of at least 1000 infantry and 1000 calvary.

The only warrior whosee acting is believable is the second in command gbogunmi

Is this an Alaafin story or does this story relate to an empire war? You just want to be a critic than appreciating a good work

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by AdoOloro(m): 8:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:
Wacky storyline. Nice visual effect.

Yorubas don't fight like Spartacus in war or in a fight challenge, the ending is so predictable and the story line is so tacky - A bad replica of "the woman king" movie.

Yorubas don't fight wars without consulting ifa, Ogun and other gods for directions. How many wars did Ogunjimi fight in the movie that made him Jagunjagun? War is taken seriously in Yorubaland and always well thought through and prepared for. The movie never reflects this.

The movie presents an invasion under the guise of a war

Femi Adebayo, dressing like a roman king, which I found so alien - should not have acted that part - Chatta or Lalude could have been spot on.

Wars were fought like Romans army with swords, without any consultation with the gods. Yorubas used charms, and other weapons, to fight in their wars but due consultations would be made to the gods.

Yorubas also don't have arenas, like the Romans, where they fight to death. Only Romans do. Local wrestling in Yoruba is for entertainment purposes.

All in all, for me:

Story Line - 20%

Visual Effect - 65%

PR (Hyping of the movie) - 100%

Please note, it is my experience, which I am entitled to. You are free to rate it as 100%.

Anikulapo movie still remains distant number 1

Bùròdá, go and make your own movie and let's see!!

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 9:01pm On Aug 12, 2023
AdoOloro:

Bùròdá, go and make your own movie and let's see!!

I don't claim to be a thespian.

In as much you are allowed to complain over that bread that you buy on the street, I have the right to point out errors in the movie that I watched, paid for with my own money. It is also ironic how some of you complaining now criticize movie that you don't really like.

Why are you guys being overly emotional ?. Everybody must not see it your way!!. I wont critique you if you say you score it 10/10.

It is my own experience. Respect it!
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by impeccablephili: 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

You need to listen and learn from people that know more than you. The Goodluck Jonathan administration made a great mistake by removing history from our school curriculum. There was a fight to death in history of Yoruba during the pre-colonisation era, Just like the movie Jagunjagun. The then Alaafin Oyo(Sango that they call god of thunder) envied one of the warriors (Gbonka). And asked him to fight till death with a powerful war general, Timi Agbale( that used bow and arrow ) thinking Timi will defeat Gbonka easily. But Gbonka defeated and beheaded Timi who happened to be his friend. That made Gbonka challenged the then Alaafin to duel (fight to death). look for history textbooks read about the history of various African tribes. You will see that Woman king movie was a misinformation. That is why I always laugh when I see some children calling Yoruba tribe cowards on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by MT: 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
impeccablephili:
You need to listen and learn from people that know more than you. The Goodluck Jonathan administration made a great mistake by removing history from our school curriculum. There was a fight to death in history of Yoruba during the pre-colonisation era, Just like the movie Jagunjagun. The then Alaafin Oyo(Sango that they call god of thunder) envied one of the warriors (Gbonka) . And asked him to fight till death with a powerful war general, Timi Agbale( that used bow and arrow ) thinking Timi will defeat Gbonka easily. But Gbonka defeated and beheaded Timi who happened to be his friend. That made Gbonka challenged the then Alaafin to duel (fight to death) . look for history textbooks read about the history of various African tribes. You will see that Woman king movie was a misinformation. That is why I always laugh when I see some children calling Yoruba tribe cowards on nairaland.

Baba Historian, the story you cited was a battle not a wrestling - Alaafin Sango asked Gbonka to match on Timi for refusing to pay him his due. Gbonka and Timi used to be friends. When Gbonka realised that his own army, as instructed by the Allafiin was planning to get him killed, he suggested a 1 to 1 fight between him and Timi, while their respective armies watched them fight. It was purely a decision made by Gbonka.

Alaafin Sango NEVER asked them to fight to death. Stop upending history!

Also, Gbonka never challenged the Alaafin to a fight as you incorrectly stated - He asked Alaafin to either die or abdicate the throne.

@impeccablephili you claimed to know so much, yet you know nothing about your very own history.

Read the account here: http://www.adabanijaglobal.com.ng/the-history-of-ede-town-series-2/

What we are saying here is the Yoruba do not have an arcade where people fight to death. It is not a culture to us like the Romans whose culture is to fight to death inside an arena.

Believe what you like, I am done having a rebuttal on this.
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Jimmy231: 10:43pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

Your response gives me good impression about you. You want to "criticise" someone's experience on a thread.

I made my point without referencing your post, but you quoted my post while you were responding. What happens to respecting other people's perspective . You cant force your experience on me.
Professor

Consider this as my last post to you.
Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by impeccablephili: 11:03pm On Aug 12, 2023
MT:

Baba Historian, the story you cited was a battle not a wrestling - Alaafin Sango asked Gbonka to match on Timi for refusing to pay him his due. Gbonka and Timi used to be friends. When Gbonka realised that his own army, as instructed by the Allafiin was planning to get him killed, he suggested a 1 to 1 fight between him and Timi, while their respective armies watched them fight. It was purely a decision made by Gbonka.

Alaafin Sango NEVER asked them to fight to death. Stop upending history!

Also, Gbonka never challenged the Alaafin to a fight as you incorrectly stated - He asked Alaafin to either die or abdicate the throne.

@impeccablephili you claimed to know so much, yet you know nothing about your very own history.

Read the account here: http://www.adabanijaglobal.com.ng/the-history-of-ede-town-series-2/

What we are saying here is the Yoruba do not have an arcade where people fight to death. It is not a routine for us like the Romans whose culture is to fight to death.

Believe what you like, I am done having a rebuttal on this.
You are wrong, Alaafin Sango sent Gbonka to go and kill Timi, but because they were friends, Gbonka spared his life . But Alaafin Sango ordered a rematch, a duel that was when Gbonka killed Timi and challenged the king to duel. See I've advised you get history books read them not the rubbish bloggers will tell you. My grand parents and my parents told us the story so as not to end up like that king, and I later decided to know more about African history. So I got history books , and read a lot of them, the story was in some of the books.. I enjoyed the the history to the extend that I wrote GCE in mid 90"s and picked history as one of the subjects and I got C5 despite not doing it in secondary school.
The story in the link below comes close, although there are distorted facts such as the claim that the king killed Gbonka. The king hanged himself and the wife Oya became river Niger(odo oya).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://twitter.com/segalink/status/1046178245853548544%3Flang%3Den&ved=2ahUKEwjxibb_idiAAxX_UkEAHWK3BLg4ChAWegQIDxAB&usg=AOvVaw3SG0zp9VQEjslx9ETC54j-

2 Likes

Re: Jagun Jagun: Femi Adebayo's Movie Gets Tongues Wagging by Codes151(m): 8:31am On Aug 13, 2023
Nauttyprof:

So, it is a 2/10, right?

This just expose your sentiments. A 2/10 movie would definitely be one where you can't watch from beginning to the end. Just keep deceiving yourself.

Like I said, your tribe has not done anything near this in the past decade or in recent times.
go on IDMB watch a 4/10 movie. See even fast x is 5.6 /10 or sth. relax.

It's not a 10

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

‘Coming 2 America’: Davido Invited To View His Hollywood Debut Movie / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos) / Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.