Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month (28107 Views)

3 Must Have Important Job-search Documents Before You Go On Job Hunting / The Five Most Important Things To Include On Your CV / Coding: The Most Important Job Skill Of The Future?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

For me, it was a do-or-die kid of affair!

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

355 Likes 38 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by DenreleDave(m): 11:16am On Aug 18, 2023
Nice article boss.. God favoured you because you made an effort.....

Wow wow wow... Skyview01 bosss

I am trying as much as possible too to get internship role with any little allowance so as to learn and be grounded....

Breakthrough is a must by God's grace....

This really inspired me

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by DenreleDave(m): 11:20am On Aug 18, 2023
Please push this post to the front page..

It is worthy and a source of encouragement to many out there

Ibime:
Skyview01, are you still in the accounting field in Nigeria?

No. He is not...

He left the accounting field few years ago...

9jvirgin:
Your story and mine is the same. I did everything you wrote up there. I passed through almost everything you wrote up there. The only difference was, I distributed my resume to 50% of the companies in Victoria Island in 2006 and 2007.

God made a way for me were there was no way.

Our God always making a way where there seems to be no way...

All we just need to do is make an effort and leave the rest to God....

God be praised.. I hope to share same story sooner or later too

money121:
I keep saying this work dey naija na you dey look for 1m startup Salary
Humble beginging matter alot
I can recall then my first salary with a roofing company as Online Marketers is 35k/Monthly
Thank God for today i owned my roofing company
This life no hard just be focus and integrity matter Alot

Wow.... Money bàbà.. The great Philanthropist

May Allah continue to bless you

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by 9jvirgin(m): 11:57am On Aug 18, 2023
Your story and mine is the same. I did everything you wrote up there. I passed through almost everything you wrote up there. The only difference was, I distributed my resume to 50% of the companies in Victoria Island in 2006 and 2007.

God made a way for me were there was no way.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Onefornaija24: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2023

DO Jiji ADS WORK for gadgets like phones and laptops?

Is the VIP advert package worth paying for on Jiji?
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by UcheKingsley1: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2023
The write-up is long but the article seem like an interestijg one. smiley

#45,000 Members Facebook Group For sale - We use Escrow service for the transaction and change of ownership.

Price: #15K

Serious buyers only. Check my profile for my WhatsApp number

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by atobs4real(m): 11:57am On Aug 18, 2023
Such is life.
It worked for you bro

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by chatinent: 11:58am On Aug 18, 2023
I am available for academic writing jobs.🙂
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by money121(m): 11:58am On Aug 18, 2023
I keep saying this work dey naija na you dey look for 1m startup Salary
Humble beginging matter alot
I can recall then my first salary with a roofing company as Online Marketers is 35k/Monthly
Thank God for today i owned my roofing company
This life no hard just be focus and integrity matter Alot

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Mbee247(m): 11:58am On Aug 18, 2023
Yes

Onefornaija24:

DO Jiji ADS WORK for gadgets like phones and laptops?

Is the VIP advert package worth paying for on Jiji?
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Mindlog: 11:59am On Aug 18, 2023
Tuesday Guardian back then was a must read! cheesy cheesy

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by sageb: 11:59am On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

Never despise the days of humble/little beginnings
Quite motivating

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Elcemento(m): 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2023
You got a call in year 2000? We didn't have GSM in year 2000, we had very expensive mobile cellular services which i doubt you could afford, judging from your story. For the sake of genuineness, please change the year you quoted above.Thanks.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by absoluteSuccess: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
There is money on the street, there is money on the street. There are industries yet to be born in the things you do that people call nonsense.

It would take a very long time for it to manifest and able to feed you, it would take more money and contributions from others to become relevant.

If this is your hardwork, do it, but never stop trying other things that brings in money, because it's in-between doing something that the money is made.

Life is such that, if all opportunities were wiped out, that's an opportunity as well if you know what to do.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by HORLADY(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
Weldone Sir.
I can relate

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by AllBlack: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
Never give up and never forget those who inspired you to do better. Never look down on yourself. Never say "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE"

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by maureensylvia(f): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
Ok
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by 9jatriot(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
You see that job experience eh, some sensible people will even pay the company to have it. Some will volunteer in companies to gain it.

Yet you find many broke and unserious people brandish degrees and certifications without experience and start feeling entitled to big salaries.

Many of them are on nairaland 247, opening threads upandan without trying to improve themselves and be useful

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by AllBlack: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
sageb:
Never despise the days of humble/little beginnings
Quite motivating

and you had to quote the whole thing?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by AImiron: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
This is interesting.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by 1gbdata: 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2023
OK
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by staga: 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2023
Put it in context. I think PMS sold for N26 per litre at the time and dollar was N88. I could fill my fuel tank of 70 litres at the time for N1,820. My salary was N40,000.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Obakoolex(m): 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2023
Never despise the days of little beginning

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Onefornaija24: 12:03pm On Aug 18, 2023
Mbee247:
Yes

Have you used it before?
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by oluwaseyi0: 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2023
Same effect Andela had on me

Forever grateful to that institution/company

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by stano2(m): 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2023
Ft
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Dialpad: 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2023
That's about 50k today

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Femidreams(m): 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks for reading.

nice

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by saasala(m): 12:05pm On Aug 18, 2023
Nairaland people, don't read this story and start accepting stupid 5000 job o. It won't change your own life

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Tricky Interview Questions And How To Answer Them / Nigeria Police Releases List Of Successful Candidates For 2018 Recruitment / Company Got All My Details Without Me Submitting Application.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.