Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,213 members, 7,836,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month (28183 Views)

3 Must Have Important Job-search Documents Before You Go On Job Hunting / The Five Most Important Things To Include On Your CV / Coding: The Most Important Job Skill Of The Future?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by gabbasin(m): 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2023
Elcemento:
You got a call in year 2000? We didn't have GSM in year 2000, we had very expensive mobile cellular services which i doubt you could afford, judging from your story. For the sake of genuineness, please change the year you quoted above.Thanks.
it might actually not be a call, maybe a letter sent to his home address

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 4:09pm On Aug 18, 2023
Blitzking:
It doesn't take me anything to be there my siblings are there. Sounding as if it's a big deal. Have more freedom here over there am just a bloody immigrant earning monthly and paying bills monthly...in the income bracket of average citizens..over here I can get away with many things.
Your siblings are there doesnt mean they’ll give u Visa.
Btw, we pay bills in Naija too.. PHCN, Water, Genset, Security, Police lol
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by johnog4sure: 4:30pm On Aug 18, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Same effect Andela had on me

Forever grateful to that institution/company
I am strongly with my software development career I consider myself above average skilled, I work with Php and Java and can work as a full stack developer but jobs are not coming...
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 4:31pm On Aug 18, 2023
BabaIbo:

I don't regret mine, I started seeing money early in life sha.
I rather see it as a lesson which is one of the things that guided my ways and success today.

You know when I was young, I was more like my dad's managing director in his business, you know kids born into a business family.
I dey see money, I opened my first bank account very early in life. As far back as late 90's and early 2000's, some days I dey handle(I won't call it stealing because na my papa money 😂), 30k to 50k as money to blow.
Sometimes, I will want to imagine what I could have achieved had it been I channelled those money into the right spending, but since I don't like regrets, I will just delete the thought from my head.

I buy things that are not necessary, I and my friends sometimes deposit money(in hundreds of thousands) in boutique and be collecting the clothes gradually, na now I know how deep those boutique guys go don fleece us, but it is what it is.
Lodge girls in hotels or guesthouse, go to clubs to blow money and so many nons ense acts.

My changing point was when I gained admission, omoh my dad taught me financial lesson wey I no wan learn by force, he only send me allowance only once in a month, he no send if I burn everything that same day, I must not call him for any extra money, some times I will just run back home from school, and say I'm done with schooling. That how do they expect me to study with empty stomach, my dad no go send me, na my mama go dey beg am on my behalf and he gave me some money, that was the genesis of my financial discipline.
Dads are very important to teach you life lessons that will save u from this wicked world.
I had a bad burglary situation a couple of wks ago.. repair guys were wasting my time and playing me like ludo/EPL lol…cos i needed it to be done within a deadline, then handyman skills and hard work my dad forced me to learn, kicked it… and I took care of it all by myself. When my repair guys finally showed up, they were surprised that I had done a better job.. I thought my dad hated me for doing most difficult things… but life has thrown more difficult things at me… and I’m still standing.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Blitzking: 4:38pm On Aug 18, 2023
BigIyanga:

Your siblings are there doesnt mean they’ll give u Visa.
Btw, we pay bills in Naija too.. PHCN, Water, Genset, Security, Police lol
. You think say na everybody dey stress over visa..become an expatriate in a high end field and see if dem no go give you visa.. abi u think say na every Nigerian abroad dey go arrange groceries for super market or sweep road or work for construction., or do care job.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Elcemento(m): 4:41pm On Aug 18, 2023
I thought as much,Kudos Bro!
Skyview01:

You are very correct. I was carried away while typing and will go and edit. Nipost letter and what I meant to convey was the fact that I was contacted for the job.

Good catch!

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2023
Blitzking:
. You think say na everybody dey stress over visa..become an expatriate in a high end field and see if dem no go give you visa.. abi u think say na every Nigerian abroad dey go arrange groceries for super market or sweep road or work for construction., or do care job.
Ok Elon Musk, you get all these invaluable skills and talents… why are you not thebhead of Google, Microsoft, Cisco, X, Meta in Naija??
Abi Chief technical officer at Flutterwave, paystack, Opay,Interswitch, Verve, Mastercar, Visa, Amex??
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by mightyleks(m): 5:13pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

For me, it was a do-or-die kid of affair!

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

I'll share my story soon. It's cooking already
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BabaIbo: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2023
correctguy101:

Hahahaha, spoilt child...smh

You too spoil, I hope your old man drill you well? My own old man na military drilling the man give me anytime I pilfer something un-smattly... grin so this daddy wisened up and started pilfering smartly. Got caught most times still, that's why I suspect my old man. Everyone knows if you wan catch monkey, you must be a monkey .. hahahaha

My brother, you don make me remember my old man, he's a jungle soldier and an old schemer that's why he's able to catch me in most of my schemes... grin
I miss the guy jor, wish I had spent more time with him in his old age... Smh

But no, regret and this ancestor no fit tie the same wrapper. No matter what happens, I'm mostly indifferent. My calculative mind has very little time to bother about some things.

I'm following you from now on, you're a man to my heart, abi how Jesus take use those words... grin

Nice meeting you bro!

It is all good, in all lessons were learnt and life goes on.

These old men most of the time know all these moves we make but chose to overlook it sometimes or let me say they just want us to learn life's lesson.

May his soul continue to rest in peace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is very important to spend maximum time either physically or via communication in case of distance(different countries) with our aged parents while they are here, reason is because life will always being up things or events that will relate to them i.e memories and one may start regretting why they did not spend enough time with them while they're here.

Nice meeting you once again bro!

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2023
nams77:

I love this your story

Thanks
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by nedekid: 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

I did not even know the cost of fuel at the time as i never dreamt of a car, no generator at home as well. Heheheh!
That was then 23 years ago.
I am sure you know now, car wise and fuel.
As they say, "young shall grow" grin

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Mekas2016(m): 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2023
I am a living witness...I worked for an Energy company here in Europe with just a minimum wage at that time.. From there that experience landed me another job with a bigger salary, today companies are begging me with over 70million naira a year job in Euros rate.

In summary Work experience is everything and every recruiter I prefers a person with hands on experience that will hit the ground running when employed.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 18, 2023
nedekid:

That was then 23 years ago.
I am sure you know now, car wise and fuel.
As they say, "young shall grow" grin

For sure. You make a good point.

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Sequence23(m): 6:16pm On Aug 18, 2023
Elcemento:
You got a call in year 2000? We didn't have GSM in year 2000, we had very expensive mobile cellular services which i doubt you could afford, judging from your story. For the sake of genuineness, please change the year you quoted above.Thanks.
He said around mid 2000 he got a call.

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Bukola94: 6:24pm On Aug 18, 2023
DenreleDave:
Please push this post to the front page..

It is worthy and a source of encouragement to many out there

No. He is not...

He left the accounting field few years ago...

Our God always making a way where there seems to be no way...

All we just need to do is make an effort and leave the rest to God....

God be praised.. I hope to share same story sooner or later too

Wow.... Money bàbà.. The great Philanthropist

May Allah continue to bless you
blessings upon blessings him and all philanthropist out there, u all will leave long in good health. Ma sha ALLAH
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Covenant97(m): 6:31pm On Aug 18, 2023
@skyview01 your story is quite inspiring.

I am also an accounting student but presently in my finals while still maintaining a decent CGPA of 4.something and above .

As you have said, the accounting profession is not a money spinner and as such want to ply your path of using my degree to japa.

please i would appreciate if you can enlighten me on how to go about it. Preferably, using master degree route. lastly, would u advice i start my ICAN after my degree program in that it might give me certain advantages for a masters abroad.

Thank u .
Skyview01:

Nope. Accounting as a field is in high demand for migrating out of the country but not a paying profession.

No real money in accounting with limited upward mobility.

I went into banking in Canada before founding my own company.

I needed lots of money and accounting would not give that to me unfortunately.

I was a science student from high school headed for engineering before i switched to accounting which i never loved.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Bukola94: 6:37pm On Aug 18, 2023
Elcemento:
so no land lines Or not so expensive Trium/Philip & Sagem,Alcatel with Econnect network ? There was GSM in year 2000, I was in Lagos,I easily borrow GSM from area boys or big guys of then,u remind me of bro Plus,he is now abroad. He runs game lotto and show action films
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Bukola94: 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2023
staga:
Put it in context. I think PMS sold for N26 per litre at the time and dollar was N88. I could fill my fuel tank of 70 litres at the time for N1,820. My salary was N40,000.
respect Sir,u are an elder statesman, u are so rich then. Long may u live. Did you drive Peugeot or Sunny? Abi Volvo,what car did you drive then ? Let me guess again VW/Benz
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by nams77: 6:45pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks bros. I will share my japa story next
Oh! Japa mode was even activated?! Wow
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Bfly: 7:05pm On Aug 18, 2023
Minimum way in 2000 was #5500.
You got 5000naira
Many graduates these days still work 18k per month job in secondary school and other ventiures while min wage is 30k

The only point here is, take offers regardless of payment as far as it comes with growth plans in your career of choice.

5k was not bad then not being a graduate.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by SSpeter(m): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2023
9jatriot:
You see that job experience eh, some sensible people will even pay the company to have it. Some will volunteer in companies to gain it.

Yet you find many broke and unserious people brandish degrees and certifications without experience and start feeling entitled to big salaries.

Many of them are on nairaland 247, opening threads upandan without trying to improve themselves and be useful
Despite the fact that he tried, life is not meant to be that hard, for a Nigerian with all our common wealth
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 7:28pm On Aug 18, 2023
SSpeter:
Despite the fact that he tried, life is not meant to be that hard, for a Nigerian with all our common wealth
Idealism vs realism… welcome to the reality side of Naija lol
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 18, 2023
Covenant97:
@skyview01 your story is quite inspiring.

I am also an accounting student but presently in my finals while still maintaining a decent CGPA of 4.something and above .

As you have said, the accounting profession is not a money spinner and as such want to ply your path of using my degree to japa.

please i would appreciate if you can enlighten me on how to go about it. Preferably, using master degree route. lastly, would u advice i start my ICAN after my degree program in that it might give me certain advantages for a masters abroad.

Thank u .

You are doing quite well with your CGPA and hopefully, you keep the momentum. If your plan is to Japa, ICAN Nigeria will be totally useless and an utter waste of time. You are better off enrolling in an MSC program at one of the universities and trying to complete your Msc as well with a good CGPA, possibly in accounting, finance, or one of the related fields. Avoid Nigeria MBA at all costs, it's a total waste of time and a useless qualification for an accounting graduate.

After your Msc and with age on your side, you have a wider range of options to choose from in your japa quest. Let me know if you have questions and I would be glad to provide an answer when able.

Thank you once again.

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by SSpeter(m): 7:46pm On Aug 18, 2023
BigIyanga:

Idealism vs realism… welcome to the reality side of Naija lol
Nothing like idealism, I attended public schools in Nigeria worked for choice organisations before leaving the country and I had a fantastic experience
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2023
SSpeter:
Nothing like idealism, I attended public schools in Nigeria worked for choice organisations before leaving the country and I had a fantastic experience
In ideal Naija, you would have remained to pursue your career and start a family… nope but you left because of Naija’s peculiar realities lol
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by SSpeter(m): 7:53pm On Aug 18, 2023
BigIyanga:

In ideal Naija, you would have remained to pursue your career and start a family… nope but you left because of Naija’s peculiar realities
I started my career here in Nigeria changed jobs here on Nairaland grin angry, got married in Nigeria started my family in Nigeria and when opportunities came calling outside the country I took it. My point is the country is not supposed to be this hard, we have the resources for every Nigerian to live comfortably
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Pacesetter2021: 8:08pm On Aug 18, 2023
I remember as a fresh graduate in accounting, I looked for employment to no avail. I then searched online for audit firms in my city.

I dressed up and went to the first on my list. There I met with the owner of the firm who harshly told me he doesn't have vacancy and I told him, I will work for free.

The man looked at me and said okay .

At the end of the month, he may have pitied me as he placed me on a 10k take home.

I thanked him because I wasn't expecting anything.

It was a great experience and it wasn't long after, my cv was no longer bare. I started job hunting online while working.

Less than 6 months later,I landed my first official job in another audit firm with a take home of 70k. From there to a job of 120k etc etc. It has been from glory to glory

Most times being selfless and adding value generously pays.

I am healthy and strong, God gave me these for free, why should I not work hard to add value where I find myself? That's my school of thoughts.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Neddyogu(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2023
Elcemento:

Me sef bn dey wonder too o. Well, we all love a grass to grace story.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Blitzking: 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2023
BigIyanga:

Ok Elon Musk, you get all these invaluable skills and talents… why are you not thebhead of Google, Microsoft, Cisco, X, Meta in Naija??
Abi Chief technical officer at Flutterwave, paystack, Opay,Interswitch, Verve, Mastercar, Visa, Amex??
get the right skills and you will understand. This life no balance na why e dey shock ppl when wetin dem they struggle for others get it without sweat.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Munamu: 8:46pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

For me, it was a do-or-die kid of affair!

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

In your write up, you sort of belittled the 5k. That same year NYSC allowance was #7500, and minimum wage was #7500 for federal workers while states were paying #5500 . How could 5k be little for a school certificate holder in 2000? To think that graduates are still being paid 15k in some private schools presently.

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 9:58pm On Aug 18, 2023
Blitzking:
get the right skills and you will understand. This life no balance na why e dey shock ppl when wetin dem they struggle for others get it without sweat.
Sounding more like motivational than realistic outcome.. Abegi tell us wetin be those invaluable skills and talents wey u get to make US/Canada carry private jet come fetch u from your sleeping bed?? Lol
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2023
Munamu:

In your write up, you sort of belittled the 5k. That same year NYSC allowance was #7500, and minimum wage was #7500 for federal workers while states were paying #5500 . How could 5k be little for a school certificate holder in 2000? To think that graduates are still being paid 15k in some private schools presently.

Another good perspective.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is This Appointment Letter Genuine? / New Federal Government Job And IPPIS Issue / Massive Nationwide Recruitment At Origin Group (Over 70 Slots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.