Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month (28113 Views)

3 Must Have Important Job-search Documents Before You Go On Job Hunting / The Five Most Important Things To Include On Your CV / Coding: The Most Important Job Skill Of The Future?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Onefornaija24: 12:38pm On Aug 18, 2023
Mbee247:
Yes! especially if you're selling cars, omo you've just got to make sales

Oh okay

It's phones and laptops
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by zed7: 12:40pm On Aug 18, 2023
saasala:
Nairaland people, don't read this story and start accepting stupid 5000 job o. It won't change your own life
That's how you know those unlikely to succeed. It's not about blowing and changing your life from day one, it's about acquiring the tools.

It’s always easy to know the entitled and criminally minded just from their thinking.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Father4all: 12:40pm On Aug 18, 2023
Obakoolex:
Never despise the days of little beginning
not this present Nigeria
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by HopeGying: 12:42pm On Aug 18, 2023
Thugnificent:
Someone please come to my aid. I'm Soo hungry with no hope in sight of getting food. Can't afford the transportation to my menial job anymore due to fuel hike in price as it's far from my house.

I need any amount to buy foodstuffs please as I seek other alternatives. God will bless you and you'll never lack any good thing Amen

072 5 00 9340 access bank

Stop spamming every thread, stvpid scammer ❌

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by spiSeyi: 12:43pm On Aug 18, 2023
Marfianjayd:
Cooked up!

How were you able to afford a phone? I could remember how expensive it was to use a phone then
I can relate I was more broke than a church rat in 2011 and I had a Nokia 620 classic which was given to me by my aunt. Being poor doesn't mean one should not be able to own a phone. The story is inspiring and I have experienced something like this, all glory to God bcs he has done me well as an IT guy

2 Likes

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by NOwazobia: 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2023
I know just get strength to read long threads today.

Make I just waka pass. 🚶
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Originalsly: 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2023
What is today's equivalent of N5000 at that time? ... you need to mention it so ones reading can put the write up into perspective... as in someone today accepting a N20K job. This write up should open the eyes of sooo many that do not see gaining job experience as a door opener for the type or level of job they are looking for.... they are focused on the salary. When not recruited.... the blame goes to lack of connections..... the FG or village people. Then there are thise who continue on faith ... waiting for their turn. Too many people want to start from the top. Experience matters a whole lot and one should really make that a priority .... even if it means working as a volunteer ... for free.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by nedekid: 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2023
staga:
Put it in context. I think PMS sold for N26 per litre at the time and dollar was N88. I could fill my fuel tank of 70 litres at the time for N1,820. My salary was N40,000.

Yeah, at even ₦85 to $1 ie his 5k salary in year 2000 is 55k in today's money.
Fuel price in year 2000 was ₦20 per liter. Ie 75liters was ₦1,500. Ie his 5k salary could buy him 75liters, 3.3 times in a month. Today his 55k will buy him 75liters once.
OP tried in moving up, quite an insiping story.
5k in 2000 had more value than 50k today.

6 Likes

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by santali23: 12:49pm On Aug 18, 2023
Kindly Dm for guidance through the maze of research, coursework, assignments, and dissertations with expert assistance tailored to your success. WhatsApp: ‪+234 915 525 8740‬
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by ChinemeremFidel: 12:52pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

For me, it was a do-or-die kid of affair!

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

This inspired me..I am an accounting student at Laspotech currently...

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by franchasofficia: 12:55pm On Aug 18, 2023
Whenever we offer graduates a job and they turn it down because of the salary, I always smile. Many Nigerian graduates have become too greedy and unrealistic with their salary expectations from potential employers. But before you go dreaming of being paid huge salary that will solve all your life problems, also do a self evaluation by asking yourself what and what you can offer to that company to justify the huge salary you are expecting from them? What rare skills do you have to offer to an employer that will help boost their company's income and improve their services to their clients?

I am not saying that expecting huge salary from a potential employer as a graduate is wrong nope please, but also take into considerations the harsh business environment in Nigeria pushing many big, small and medium scale businesses to shutdown operations. So as you expect the company to pay you huge salary, also consider if that company is even making enough profit to sustain your job for the next 2 to 5 years?

My advice to all young graduates searching for a job is this; if you are not currently employed, if you get an offer from a small business or company that offer you an average salary that takes care of your basic needs, please accept the job and use it to build your work experience portfolio which will position you for a bigger job offer in the future. Staying unemployed is far worse than being underpaid. That low-paid job could be your open door to a mouth watering job offer tomorrow, use your wisdom. Wishing all the graduates searching for a job Godspeed.

2 Likes

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by omooba74(m): 12:58pm On Aug 18, 2023
Hmmm...interesting story.I could still remember my hussles of searching for jobs too in late 90s.The Guardian newspaper of Tuesday and Thursday did not pass me by every week.Thanks GOD for life now.....
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Patriot9: 12:58pm On Aug 18, 2023
DenreleDave:
Please push this post to the front page..

It is worthy and a source of encouragement to many out there

No. He is not...

He left the accounting field few years ago...

Our God always making a way where there seems to be no way...

All we just need to do is make an effort and leave the rest to God....

God be praised.. I hope to share same story sooner or later too

Wow.... Money bàbà.. The great Philanthropist

May Allah continue to bless you
Bros how far with your ican stuff. I have visited all the banks operating in Nigeria and they keep telling me no network
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by correctguy101(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:
Looking back at my career trajectories and jobs I have had in the past if someone would ask me what was my best and life-changing job, I would say without any shadow of a doubt, it was my job at a small-sized audit firm along Ikorodu Road Lagos that changed my career as an accountant.

It was the year 2000 and I was done with my Accounting Technician Service(ATS) - I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.
I was preparing for the next level and desperately looking for a job. Without a degree, OND, HND, and Nysc, or any formal education for that matter. I was a poor broke dude coming from a large poor family, all eyes were on me in the family and I could not afford to fail.

As broke as a church rat, I would always go to the newspaper vendors at the Cele bus stop in Lagos every Tuesday, and pay a token to borrow the Tuesday Guardian.

That was before the internet era, I would write out all the vacancies and return the paper to the vendor. That way, At some point, I had submitted more than 200 applications with no feedback. Totally discouraged, I taught the village people are on top of my matta and might be under some spiritual spell.

Around mid-2000, I came upon a brilliant idea, I made up my mind that I needed experience from an audit firm very badly on my resume if I were to succeed as an accountant. So, I printed more than fifty(50) copies of my resume and starting from Anthony bus stop on Ikorodu Road, up to Oju-Elegba bus stop, you know there are lots of small accounting firms along that axis.

I trekked and distributed my resume and cover letters to all the firms I could find while in the hot sun, sweating like a Christmas goat about to be slaughtered for the pleasures of others.

My modus operandi was to walk up to the receptionist of any firm and tell them I was looking for a job. I would give out my resumes and cover letters like candies on a Halloween night, asking for them to contact me if they happen to have any vacancies while I tossed resumes under doors for offices that were closed.

When I got back home, I would wake up in the middle of the hot night to pray and cry to God for divine favor on my applications.

One month after that exercise precisely, I got a call from one of the audit firms I had dropped my resume to come for an interview for the position of Semi-senior at a whooping salary of N5,000 naira in a month. I was so happy and was jumping upandan with joy, even went to the local revival hour service to share a loud testimony in the church.

Most of the time, I could not afford transport fares and would hitch a ride on the open back of a neighbor's pickup truck for free while immaculately dressed in my cut-and-join three-piece suit and a fat guillotine, neck-chocking tie, sweating and smelling like a Canadian skunk, to work in the at my 5k naira job.

I worked in that company for about one year and learned a lot, I was able to lead audits of manufacturing companies, government agencies, and finance and construction companies, and within one year, I was already well-grounded in accounting work experience.

Going back to the topic of the thread, the reason why I rated that, 5000naira/month, job was that later in the years, all three breakthrough jobs I had specifically requested experience in an accounting firm as a major requirement.
I wouldn't have gotten those jobs without my audit firm experience. I later went on to finish my exams and lectured for the institute, and the rest, as they say, are now stories.

Never let anybody put you down and do not despise days of little beginnings, That little position you may be occupying today may be a building block to a brighter future and hard work does pay.

Whatever you want in life, go out there and fight for it like it's a matter of life and death.
After you have tried your best, you can now go and pray as though you depend on God 100% (if you are religious)

Without that 5k job, I am positive I may not be where I am today, and the purpose of this write-up is to encourage millions of young one's out there. The country may be tough and our leaders may be failing us, prices of commodities may be sky-high in the market, but that is not enough excuse for you not to succeed.

Thanks for reading.

This ancestor thanks you.

I never started small, but was brought down from my lofty throne cause of my arrogance, maybe.

Got on point with my finances but each time I recall what I once was and what I could be if I knew what I know today, I just laff and even jeer at my former self.. I just thank my stars I got two houses before things fell apart, if not, wetin man for fall back on? Add Dad's after he died so I'm a bit okay as it is. But I could've had more, be more ..

I also thank the gods I can still care for myself and family else maybe like our dear Queen, Farida, this daddy too for don go test the third mainland bridge to see if it's capable of ending me.... SMH

Maybe my problem was lack of ambition or vision like our Nigerian leaders or lack of direction, this much I admit. But I'm putting this on here for young men who got their young hands on money real early in their lives, learn from our foolishness. .

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Blitzking: 1:02pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks for reading.

Omo PPL THOSE DAYS DEY TRY OOO....can't even imagine myself trekking up and down a state to be dropping CV. If you can't drop it on LinkedIn...indeed or telegram or online submission or any other job platform I no fit. 1st Interview sef should be online na advanced stage interview or medical I suppose show face. Life no suppose hard.. cos I no dey find work na work dey find me...build you competence up to a level you u can't be overlooked. But most times ppl aren't even given the chance to show what they av got.. what ever I Learn my eyes are on international best practices. So if I was in US OR CANADA would easily fit in.

2 Likes

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BabaIbo: 1:12pm On Aug 18, 2023
OP, try dey direct with your advice abeg.

5000 naira back then is more like 50,000 naira now.

Although I get your message which is "Don't despise the days of your little beginning."

Years ago, I started my business with less than 500,000 naira, today the business is worth millions of naira.
That doesn't mean I will advise someone to go and start their own business with the same amount I started mine with this period and expect similar growth.
Inflation, exchange rate, cost of living and other factors are totally different now.

OP, just advice them not to despise their little beginning, and not to accept 5000 naira and it's likes jobs in this time and period abeg
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by DenreleDave(m): 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2023
Patriot9:

Bros how far with your ican stuff. I have visited all the banks operating in Nigeria and they keep telling me no network

I don't use bank óò.

I pay online... Quickteller

I transfer to quickteller and do every thing ónline
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 18, 2023
9jvirgin:
Your story and mine is the same. I did everything you wrote up there. I passed through almost everything you wrote up there. The only difference was, I distributed my resume to 50% of the companies in Victoria Island in 2006 and 2007.

God made a way for me were there was no way.

I am glad i found someone whose story is similar to mine. Hard work definitely pays.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by free2ryhme: 1:22pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks for reading.

I started with my SSCE and passed my PE1 with ICAN.

When I read this part i knew the lies wont stop grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 18, 2023
IamgratefulLord:
It's inspiring. You're also a smart ass!!! kiss

Thank you. I honestly do not consider myself smart.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by MOTIONTECH(m): 1:33pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for this write up, it will be a sin if I don’t thank you for this post.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2023
Ibime:
Skyview01, are you still in the accounting field in Nigeria?

Nope. Accounting as a field is in high demand for migrating out of the country but not a paying profession.

No real money in accounting with limited upward mobility.

I went into banking in Canada before founding my own company.

I needed lots of money and accounting would not give that to me unfortunately.

I was a science student from high school headed for engineering before i switched to accounting which i never loved.

1 Like

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Sweetvie: 1:38pm On Aug 18, 2023
Nice
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Brownbetsport24: 1:38pm On Aug 18, 2023
money121:
I keep saying this work dey naija na you dey look for 1m startup Salary
Humble beginging matter alot
I can recall then my first salary with a roofing company as Online Marketers is 35k/Monthly
Thank God for today i owned my roofing company
This life no hard just be focus and integrity matter Alot
hire me as online marketer, am graduate of English and literary studies.

More details coming, Email:cedar_media@yahoo.com

Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Ibime(m): 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Nope. Accounting as a field is easy to leaving the country but not a paying profession.

No real money in accounting with limited upward mobility.

I went into banking in Canada before founding my own company.

I needed lots of money and accounting would not give that to me unfortunately.

I was a science student from high school headed for engineering before i switched to accounting which i never loved.

Thanks, I wanted to put my mentee in Nigeria in touch with you if you were still in the field. He's an accountant and so am I, though based in the UK.

Which leads me to a further question boss. What is the best japa route for a qualified accountant in Nigeria. My mentee is ACCA qualified with a degree from Oxford Brookes via the ACCA route. He is currently an auditor with one of the Financial services firms in Naija. Japa is also a strong consideration for him.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Flangelo12: 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2023
Mindlog:
Tuesday Guardian back then was a must read! cheesy cheesy

Except person no serious for work.

grin
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BabaIbo: 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2023
correctguy101:

This ancestor thanks you.

I never started small, but was brought down from my lofty throne cause of my arrogance, maybe.

Got on point with my finances but each time I recall what I once was and what I could be if I knew what I know today, I just laff and even jeer at my former self.. I just thank my stars I got two houses before things fell apart, if not, wetin man for fall back on? Add Dad's after he died so I'm a bit okay as it is. But I could've had more, be more ..

I also thank the gods I can still care for myself and family else maybe like our dear Queen, Farida, this daddy too for don go test the third mainland bridge to see if it's capable of ending me.... SMH

Maybe my problem was lack of ambition or vision like our Nigerian leaders or lack of direction, this much I admit. But I'm putting this on here for young men who got their young hands on money real early in their lives, learn from our foolishness. .

I don't regret mine, I started seeing money early in life sha.
I rather see it as a lesson which is one of the things that guided my ways and success today.

You know when I was young, I was more like my dad's managing director in his business, you know kids born into a business family.
I dey see money, I opened my first bank account very early in life. As far back as late 90's and early 2000's, some days I dey handle(I won't call it stealing because na my papa money 😂), 30k to 50k as money to blow.
Sometimes, I will want to imagine what I could have achieved had it been I channelled those money into the right spending, but since I don't like regrets, I will just delete the thought from my head.

I buy things that are not necessary, I and my friends sometimes deposit money(in hundreds of thousands) in boutique and be collecting the clothes gradually, na now I know how deep those boutique guys go don fleece us, but it is what it is.
Lodge girls in hotels or guesthouse, go to clubs to blow money and so many nons ense acts.

My changing point was when I gained admission, omoh my dad taught me financial lesson wey I no wan learn by force, he only send me allowance only once in a month, he no send if I burn everything that same day, I must not call him for any extra money, some times I will just run back home from school, and say I'm done with schooling. That how do they expect me to study with empty stomach, my dad no go send me, na my mama go dey beg am on my behalf and he gave me some money, that was the genesis of my financial discipline.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by BigIyanga: 1:48pm On Aug 18, 2023
Blitzking:

Omo PPL THOSE DAYS DEY TRY OOO....can't even imagine myself trekking up and down a state to be dropping CV. If you can't drop it on LinkedIn...indeed or telegram or online submission or any other job platform I no fit. 1st Interview sef should be online na advanced stage interview or medical I suppose show face. Life no suppose hard.. cos I no dey find work na work dey find me...build you competence up to a level you u can't be overlooked. But most times ppl aren't even given the chance to show what they av got.. what ever I Learn my eyes are on international best practices. So if I was in US OR CANADA would easily fit in.
But u dey Canada or US? Lol
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by phemmyfour: 1:49pm On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Thanks for reading.

It's more about the experience not the 5k. There are many 5k or more jobs out there that doesn't provide any relevant experience
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2023
Mindlog:
Tuesday Guardian back then was a must read! cheesy cheesy

A must to read my brother and they later added the Thursday editions.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2023
ahnie:
Skyla skyla I m happy for you...na to go chicken republic straight go order.lolz

I cherish days of lil beginnings

Thank you my sister.
Re: My Most Important Job At 5000naira/month by DenreleDave(m): 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2023
Snowland

Boss.. I greet you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Tricky Interview Questions And How To Answer Them / Nigeria Police Releases List Of Successful Candidates For 2018 Recruitment / How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria; this Year 2023?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.