Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity (4596 Views)

LP’s Problem Is Not About Tinubu, It’s About Greed - Oseni Rufai / Aliko Dangote Is Nigeria Biggest Problem - Nnamdi Kanu / The Biggest Problem The Yoruba Have In This World Is The Igbo Problem - Marcus K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 6:09pm On Aug 21, 2023
See

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by igwebuike01: 6:09pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

This is old part of Main market you can see how it was built, then see the new side that littered with plazas
Guy, Ariaria is larger in landmass, Onitsha may be larger in volume of goods

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2023
igwebuike01:

Guy, Ariaria is larger in landmass, Onitsha may be larger in volume of goods
Ariaria might bigger than the old main market not with the new areas that started from Niger street.

1 Like

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 6:16pm On Aug 21, 2023
Outside main market there are other big markets in Onitsha and enviro
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2023
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
Abagworo:

A smaller area with irregular shape can have longer perimeter. Going by your photos Ariaria is twice or thrice larger. However I made my comment based on walking around both markets . When I asked people around said the adjoining streets with peoples houses and plazas are still regarded as part of Main Market.

This is true the traditional main market is actually smaller than Ariaria. But because of the outgrowth of main market to surrounding areas, main market is bigger.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 6:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ofodirinwa:

I have been told people in Aba don't like publicity. Businesses dont want you to take pictures and film them, and most don't use social media. All that is left is random people on Nairaland trying to disparage Aba and Aba has no defense against these people because it's own self promotion efforts are low.

I totally agree. We need to change this as Ndigbo. Everything these days is based on social media perspective.

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 6:43pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ofodirinwa:

I just saw a measurement and they're almost equal but Onitsha has a slight edge. daalu

Onitsha main market is actually bigger if you look past the traditional space of main market. Onitsha main market has a spillover effect which Ariaria doesn’t have much of. A lot of surrounding spaces around Main market have been converted to market. If you consider that factor, then Main market is much bigger in reality.

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by igwebuike01: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bestmanfornow:
For sure. Onitsha is far more commercial than Aba with numerous markets scattered around it. But Ariaria is the largest single market by landmass

1 Like

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by igwebuike01: 6:53pm On Aug 21, 2023
horsepower102:

Onitsha main market is actually bigger if you look past the traditional space of main market. Onitsha main market has a spillover effect which Ariaria doesn’t have much of. A lot of surrounding spaces around Main market have been converted to market. If you consider that factor, then Main market is much bigger in reality.
But that's exactly what someone said before the argument ensued. Actual main market is not bigger than Ariaria but it spilled into residential streets
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Abagworo(m): 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2023
horsepower102:

So why then were you raising unnecessary dust out of nothing? It means you didn't even read my comment well. I've been to both markets and I observed that Ariaria was much bigger as most people in Port Harcourt are used to Ariaria. I went to Onitsha during the Osisikannkwu era and based on what I heard expected something bigger so I was curious as to what's left and people brought to my attention that the adjoining streets with plazas and banks are part of it.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 6:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
igwebuike01:

But that's exactly what someone said before the argument ensued. Actual main market is not bigger than Ariaria but it spilled into residential streets

Yes, I totally agree with that person. My aunt and her husband were literally swallowed by main market encroachment.

In the 1990s when we visited them, it looked like a regular residential neighborhood. Today that place is now part of main market. They have made so much money from trader’s because they had no choice but to convert their house to stores.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by SpaceTour: 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bag of gworo the Ediotic imo bastard from the useless backward imo state , you have resumed your bitterness and envy towards Anambra again, but this time you will regret that you did.

Face your useless backward imo state that has nothing to show except commercial se.x hawkers.

Onitsha main market is the largest in West Africa, even google recognizes that fact, but your envy and bitterness towards Anambra won’t allow you face reality.

There are more imo indigenes in Anambra, precisely Onitsha than any city in Nigeria, there’s a reason any imo indigene that wants to make it in life usually moves to Onitsha.

Onitsha is the single largest economy in igboland and has the largest industrial complexes and largest economic activities.

The question is, what’s your useless Owerri or imo state got to offer anyone, the reason no one goes there to live. Stop comparing Aba to Onitsha because even Abia people knows that Onitsha is on a higher level compare to Aba.

Abagworo:

So why then were you raising unnecessary dust out of nothing? It means you didn't even read my comment well. I've been to both markets and I observed that Ariaria was much bigger as most people in Port Harcourt are used to Ariaria. I went to Onitsha during the Osisikannkwu era and based on what I heard expected something bigger so I was curious as to what's left and people brought to my attention that the adjoining streets with plazas and banks are part of it.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2023
Abagworo:

Never raised any unnecessary dust. I think you are mistaken.

Looking at the traditional spaces, Ariaria is bigger than main market but both of us know that is not the reality. The reality is that Main Market is likely two and half times in size because over the years, surrounding neighborhoods have been swallowed by the market. I even have a personal example of my Aunty who converted her residence to stores.

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by SpaceTour: 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
This is a fact that’s known by everyone

horsepower102:

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by igwebuike01: 7:30pm On Aug 21, 2023
SpaceTour:
This is a fact that’s known by everyone

Nice pictures
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Perfectbeing(m): 7:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
Abagworo:

Ikpeazu never mentioned Shoprite or Domino as achievement but rather said if the business environment wasn't friendly they wouldn't have come to open shops in Abia. Ikpeazu remains the best out his generation in the Southeast especially for maintaing peace and security.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Ofodirinwa: 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2023
horsepower102:

good point, noted. Though the applies in Aba
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by glacswhite: 8:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

See Aba People don't even Patronize Ariaria That much ... Aba have other 5 big markets

Cemetery Market is damn big
School road market joined with New Market which still leads to Good morning Market

Bro Markets choke for Aba .. From Entrance to its end nah Market

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by glacswhite: 8:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
You can trek from Very big Cemetery market to Ariara

Ahia Ohuru /New Market joined many markets n crossed Enyimba Stadium

Note: Ariaria is having a very big extension close to Uratta they called it Ekunmi or so
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Unbiased1: 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Abagworo:

This video corroborates my point. The market is small but even if you add the adjoining streets it still is smaller than Ariaria. If you doubt me simply visit both markets and see for yourself. May your soul rest in perfect peace Eboh.

@ the bolded. Please is the guy dead? I used to watch his videos on YouTube.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Unbiased1: 9:10pm On Aug 21, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

How often do you see me comment in you guys thread, I hate lies, I can swear that guy didn't visit half of Main-market, mind you those drone pictures didn't capture the heart of Main market, it captured the new developed side of the market, check area and perimeter Main Market is bigger I hate when people are trying to use propaganda to rewrite history

Bro you need to calm down. Look at the map and figures underneath, it states clearly that Ariaria market is larger than Onitsha main market.

From the map images you uploaded, Main Market is 393,473m2. Please take note of the Unit behind the number: "M2". That translates to 393,473 meter square or 0.39 kilometer square. Ariaria market is 0.56 kilometer square which means, based on your images, Ariaria market is larger.

You are the one providing the evidence against your stance.

1 Like

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by horsepower102: 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2023
Unbiased1:

@ the bolded. Please is the guy dead? I used to watch his videos on YouTube.

Yes may he rest in peace. It’s was a sad situation last year.

1 Like

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Unbiased1: 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2023
horsepower102:

Yes may he rest in peace. It’s was a sad situation last year.

Jesus Christ. This is so sad honestly. I still have one of the videos he made about Onitsha's multi storey buildings in my phone.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by SpaceTour: 9:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
Stop spewing nonsense. Onitsha main market is the largest market in West Africa, your google is there. You Aba people should stop yapping nonsense because Ariaria is not known anywhere else except Abia and some areas in SE, but main market is know almost the whole Africa. There’s a reason why it is called main market.

Unbiased1:

Bro you need to calm down. Look at the map and figures underneath, it states clearly that Ariaria market is larger than Onitsha main market.

From the map images you uploaded, Main Market is 393,473m2. Please take note of the Unit behind the number: "M2". That translates to 393,473 meter square or 0.39 kilometer square. Ariaria market is 0.56 kilometer square which means, based on your images, Ariaria market is larger.

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 10:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
glacswhite:

See Aba People don't even Patronize Ariaria That much ... Aba have other 5 big markets

Cemetery Market is damn big
School road market joined with New Market which still leads to Good morning Market

Bro Markets choke for Aba .. From Entrance to its end nah Market

Only an ignorant mind will be compare commercial activities in Anamabra to Aba, most markets in Anambra feed Abia goods go and make inquiry, the building materials, auto parts, electrical come from Anambra markets

See All The 33 Major Markets In Anambra, A

1 Main Market Onitsha ( The Biggest In West Africa)

2 Nnewi Auto Parts Market

3 Onitsha Bridge head Market

4 International Electronics Market Onitsha

5 Ose Okwodu Grocery Market Onitsha

6 Iweka Electro Market Onitsha

7 Ochanja Market Onitsha

8 Ogbaru Market

9 International Building Materials Ogidi

10 Relief Market Onitsha

11 Ogboefere Market Onitsha

12 Stockfish Market Onitsha

13 Auto Parts Market Obosi Also called Mgbuka Obosi

14 New Cosmetic Market Ogidi

15 Nkwo Nnewi Market

16 Eke Awka Main Market Awka

17 Bakery Materials Market Ogidi

18 Old Parts Market Nkpor Onitsha

19 New Parts Market Onitsha

20 Upholstery Market Onitsha

21 Plastics Market Ogbunike

22 Timber Market Umuokpu Awka

23 Building Materials Market Awka ( Odera Market)

25 New Tyres Market Onitsha

26 Ekwulobia Market

27 Textile Market Onitsha

28 Pharmaceutical Market Onitsha

29 Marine Modern Market Onitsha

30 Computer and phone Market Okwe Street

31 Iweka Road Nollywood Market

32 Textile market Head bridge Onitsha

33, Shoe market Nkwelle
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Bestmanfornow: 10:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
Unbiased1:

Onitsha main market in the biggest market by size, still have the highest numbers of plazas than any market in Nigeria
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:58am On Aug 22, 2023
Ofodirinwa:

wrong, grid planning started with the 1st republic.

You're right, but even during the 1st republic there were still Brits heading nor working in many departments in the regions and the federal civil service in Lagos. I watched a clip on YouTube a few days ago that showed Dr M I Okpara on tour around the Eastern Region, and he was met at some stops by British expats.
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Ofodirinwa: 5:08am On Aug 22, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:

You're right, but even during the 1st republic there were still Brits heading nor working in many departments in the regions and the federal civil service in Lagos. I watched a clip on YouTube a few days ago that showed Dr M I Okpara on tour around the Eastern Region, and he was met at some stops by British expats.

Did the video say they were planning the city, or are you assuming?
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by Ofodirinwa: 5:09am On Aug 22, 2023
As an Igbo man, I'm happy to have Aba and Onitsha on our team. It only makes the collective assets of Ndiigbo stronger.

2 Likes

Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:27pm On Aug 22, 2023
Ofodirinwa:

Did the video say they were planning the city, or are you assuming?

I was leading up to something.....that even though the Brits handed over to Nigerians in 1960, some still stayed around and still worked in departments of the Regional and Federal public service, and i'm guessing this was to help transfer knowledge and expertise to their Nigerian counterparts. So they were still around in the 1st republic to help plan the then new areas of Onitsha, Aba, Enugu, etc. Compare the well laid out grid system of streets they planned.....intersecting each other at right angles, to the job our lot did in Awka from the time Anambra was created till today!

The mindset, dedication to work and expertise of our public servants have deteriorated over the years from the 60s to date....lets be honest! They're much more distracted today by extraneous issues compared to the time of their parents in the 60s!
Re: Aba’s Biggest Problem Is Bad Publicity by glacswhite: 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

Only an ignorant mind will be compare commercial activities in Anamabra to Aba, most markets in Anambra feed Abia goods go and make inquiry, the building materials, auto parts, electrical come from Anambra markets

See All The 33 Major Markets In Anambra, A

1 Main Market Onitsha ( The Biggest In West Africa)

2 Nnewi Auto Parts Market

3 Onitsha Bridge head Market

4 International Electronics Market Onitsha

5 Ose Okwodu Grocery Market Onitsha

6 Iweka Electro Market Onitsha

7 Ochanja Market Onitsha

8 Ogbaru Market

9 International Building Materials Ogidi

10 Relief Market Onitsha

11 Ogboefere Market Onitsha

12 Stockfish Market Onitsha

13 Auto Parts Market Obosi Also called Mgbuka Obosi

14 New Cosmetic Market Ogidi

15 Nkwo Nnewi Market

16 Eke Awka Main Market Awka

17 Bakery Materials Market Ogidi

18 Old Parts Market Nkpor Onitsha

19 New Parts Market Onitsha

20 Upholstery Market Onitsha

21 Plastics Market Ogbunike

22 Timber Market Umuokpu Awka

23 Building Materials Market Awka ( Odera Market)

25 New Tyres Market Onitsha

26 Ekwulobia Market

27 Textile Market Onitsha

28 Pharmaceutical Market Onitsha

29 Marine Modern Market Onitsha

30 Computer and phone Market Okwe Street

31 Iweka Road Nollywood Market

32 Textile market Head bridge Onitsha

33, Shoe market Nkwelle

Lols ..Not this small size markets u dey mention..if u start Counting ones in Aba is more than 200.. I just listed ones that is big as half of Ariaria

In Aba every road have markets nah .. If nah to count..Boy u Cannot count it all.. Is more than 300

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lawmakers Budget Fresh N30 Billion For National Assembly Renovation / Trump Loses Presidential Primary / In Support Of James Ibori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.