Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (26030 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Balablue64: 10:30am On Aug 26, 2023
grandstar:
Burnaboy sings Afrobeat. The rest largely sing Afropop. I don't know why they call it Afrobeat.

Pop music is more about having fun and dancing. They usually sing about love.

This is the only sensible comment in this post

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by lekanation(m): 10:31am On Aug 26, 2023
Starzo:
This guy is an idiot

He just insulted his own people in the international stage

The guy is basically trying to rubbish the efforts of his countrymen and women

You'll never hear Koreans say this about kpop even tho it's usually rubbish.

But a Nigerian will always look for ways to denigrate and block road for others once they attain certain international status

Somebody should remind the fool that his biggest hit was popular for the phrase 'i need Igbo and shayo'....this is the same fool accusing others of lacking content
The song is a sample too. Anybody, gbona, ye and all his major hits are samples. Someone's intellectual property.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by rapcy(m): 10:34am On Aug 26, 2023
Backpedal:

Nothing wrong with "sounding global" though

It seems to be working for him.
Even kpop now is sounding global and is attracting global appeal

Nothing wrong with it but it has a downside, after a while you can't blend in to that international scene because you're not really their own and back home too they don't feel you as before and they won't really f* with your music that much,it's already happening to him, it happened to WizKid, it happened to Davido(na Tekno help that one out) same with Tems.

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by phineas: 10:34am On Aug 26, 2023
Burna should not have said those words, and definitely not on a global platform.you promote your own no matter what,even if its crap find an angle to promote. This trait he has exhibited is the famous omo ale trait

For the record it's the same crap that brought him to limelight. And how many foreign songs have the famous meaning he seeks? Who remembers the first song to hit a million views on YouTube? What meaning or depth did gangam style have? But the world acknowledged that was entertainment at its finest...

Nigerian songs have their depth in their own way, their own topics , context and in our language.

Burna is a proud nobody,pride goes before a fall,and when they fall its loud.He should ditch that pride and pray not too fall.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Dafresh: 10:34am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
it's not true sir
Music is universal language and many people that speak English understand a little bit of pidgin English
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:34am On Aug 26, 2023
ShenTeh:
Wow.

You all see how the plate is regarded as dirty and gross after we are done with our delicacy from it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, wisdom is hidden behind this your quote... Only the wise will be able to understand it

5 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Acidosis(m): 10:35am On Aug 26, 2023
This Pocohantas ' guy sef angry angry
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by KennethEnyi(m): 10:35am On Aug 26, 2023
kestolove95:
I hate burna boy

From it signature I can see that your an Islamic terrorist so whatever u say has no appeal to me
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dkidd: 10:35am On Aug 26, 2023
Lol... Including u Burna what do u preach about? Maybe u did one or two songs throwing a message or two here and there but in all y'all the same
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Smithwilliams826: 10:36am On Aug 26, 2023
kestolove95:
I hate burna boy
Your problem.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by sangresan(m): 10:36am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.

Indomie pikin. Ask your elders who Fela be.

Person wey the likes of the Beatles and James Brown associated with. You be mumu.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Chetas81(m): 10:37am On Aug 26, 2023
The guy with someone life, 13 years back
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Drbarmes(m): 10:39am On Aug 26, 2023
marlow1962:
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.
shey 2baba is from england

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Bashnigga(m): 10:39am On Aug 26, 2023
Basic123:
Honest,I don't know what that burna wants to achieve with this!

The guy has ended up setting Afrobeats backwards by 50years with this speech!
Man is promoting his new album
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by sangresan(m): 10:39am On Aug 26, 2023
NovusHomo:

Fela's music was crappy, noisy bullsht. Mind you, I said music, MUSIC. Please don't comment if you don't know what that is.

Go and hide under your mummy's wrapper.

Fela remains the greatest African musician.

5 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Coldie(m): 10:40am On Aug 26, 2023
Burnaboy is evil.

Burnaboy is trying to kill afrobeats that's y he is trying to promote the name afrofusion.

We already know afrofusion and afrobeats is the same thing, but he wants to create his own name so that people would say he is the progenitor of sth.

Burnaboy was always mid, twice as tall album was what saved his career.

After this thing he said about afrobeats I consider him cancelled.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by nairalee(m): 10:40am On Aug 26, 2023
Reading through this thread I'm so ashamed and embarrassed. So burna boy and many Nigerians(Nairalanders) really dont know anything about culture, music and art in general.

If u believe Art is only of quality when its done by another man's culture just know that you're mentality has been enslaved (by colonialism)

What a shame

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by mrdino(m): 10:42am On Aug 26, 2023
PURE ARROGANCE.

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by 2pacarnate(m): 10:43am On Aug 26, 2023
Nna mehnnnn

As a good rap.artist,I will say that burner boy is spotted,afrobeat/Nigerian music is trash,tubaba is the only one that tries to relate,I have never had any wizkid song on my phone,only ojuelegba is good.No message,no moral lessons,no inspiration,and most times I don't blame them because na we dey cause am,Nigerians just love danceable beats and lambs,

Do you even know that it has corrupted our girls the more, encouraging yahoo/yahoo plus.do you wonder why our rap musicians don't make waves?it's because people do.not care about lyrical content.

i remember the old.days we used to vibe with big pun,DMX,Tupac and outlaws,outcast(Andre mad lyricist and big boy)Dogg pound(kurupt and day nigga daz),biggie,jay z,lil Kim and da brat,KRS one,Dre,canibus,dizaster,born thugs and harmony,jarule,Eminem the maddest that said Bleep bush,raps about the government,rap is dead in Nigeria and it's one of the reasons why our government too is messing up

Presently I still listen to these guys , plus new schools like big shun, Kendrick,j Cole,Kanye,lil wayne and many more,

Rap,raggae,even rock and country music is the best,less I forget Nas(Nastradamus)the only rapper that won an award called the best metaphorical line(imagine that)in that song "hate me now"he said and I quote.....Niggas fear what they don't understand,hate what they can't conquer,guess I was a furious man became a monster,😁 .....

This line basically is the reason why igbos are hated in this country.They fear us because they don't understand how we made it after all we lost during the civil war,the hate us because we have refused to be conquered like some particular tribe who has become slaves to a certain poor and illiterate tribe just because of hate and political recognition. RAP IS THE BEST

Since it's hard for me to.blow,got signed twice but dropped after shooting music video for me twice by two different label,they couldn't push my song.i have decided to go The way of gospel,either by hook or by crook,the world must hear my voice,let me Evangelize....my Yoruba wife believes so much in me,she is my inspiration aside these rappers,many friends and relatives believe,I will.not fail them

Anyway

TRUTH HURTS

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by hisexcellency34: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2023
Too much weed
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Captaincool1(m): 10:44am On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime Sha like in Ojuelegba

So the blues (love songs ) makes sense when the same artist sings both love songs and unloved songs most of the music makes one feel cool for the moment after which you go back to your real life.
Some musics have made us to fall in love and also breakup relationship.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Prenonjebose: 10:48am On Aug 26, 2023
I disagree with his statement. The genre of music is not the determinant factor here, the artiste is. There are afro beats that are "meaningful" and address serious life issues. There are foreign rap music that are vague and vulgar

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by CHIGIM: 10:48am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
Its mental state like this that is drawing Africa's back.
Stop say the pigin language is second

7 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by illicit(m): 10:48am On Aug 26, 2023
UIUX:
David sings about money because that is his experience, Do you expect him to lie about his past just to appear like a freedom fighter? Burna can keep lieing to himself about soboma😂

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by mariovito(m): 10:48am On Aug 26, 2023
Why are you engaging someone that thinks Fela lacks global appeal.

Jcole sampled Fela
Common sampled Fela
Nas sampled Fela countless times
Alicia keys sampled Fela in her productions
The Roots did a song with Femi because of Fela's influence
Coldplay sampled Fela

And countless other global artists I can't mention right now.

wittywriter:
How come ? What infered this notion from Burna Boy...
So can someone remind me what category or genre of songs Fela Abami-Eda was entertaining the world with.

How old are you? Fela , Sunny Ade and Angelique sang in pidgin.

...to you Fela's songs wasn't appealing ok o.

Wittyness

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by porthouse7(f): 10:49am On Aug 26, 2023
emerged01:
I no blame them. Na their fans cause am. Dem go dey sing rubbish dem go still dey hail dem. Most of the artist lack good lyrics. Is it not foolishness to say rice is not a good food?
which lyrics come remain in the world? We only enjoy feel good music this days, if only u won't to remix good old songs

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ikoroduarea: 10:51am On Aug 26, 2023
Omo ale ni boboyi sha... You destroyed your ladder all because you've climbed already? How about upcomings? Like Coldie said, Burnaboy is trying to kill afrobeats that's why he is trying to promote the name afrofusion and that is selfish and self centred. We already know Afro Fusion and Afrobeats is the same thing, but he wants to create his own name so that people would say he is the progenitor... Just cos you want to s-c=k western ass music and want to look good in their eyes? Smh shocked

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Fuckingmallam45(m): 10:51am On Aug 26, 2023
It is the way people are. Most people hate to see other people succeed. The only fathomable route by which most people opt to progress is by stepping down on others’ successes, thereby creating a relative scenario which, although appears pleasing to the eye, is actually nondescript.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by pocohantas(f): 10:51am On Aug 26, 2023
Acidosis:

This Pocohantas ' guy sef angry angry

A very troublesome fellow. cheesy
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by FATYTOY: 10:53am On Aug 26, 2023
wittywriter:
How come ? What infered this notion from Burna Boy...
So can someone remind me what category or genre of songs Fela Abami-Eda was entertaining the world with.

How old are you? Fela , Sunny Ade and Angelique sang in pidgin.

...to you Fela's songs wasn't appealing ok o.

Wittyness

You don't have to drag with this kid. The indomie generation can never understand

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Coldie(m): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2023
SpatialKing:
True

Afrobeat only
sexualizes women
Promotion drugs and smoking
Cultism
Alot of una no too get sense like that.

Burnaboy just showed he is a greedy fellow, afrobeats is on the rise, it has risen so much that westerners consider all African songs afrobeats, and when u google afrobeats the person that pops up as the projenitor is fela.

Burnaboy said he doesn't do afrobeats that he does afrofusion, this is a name he himself created by himself not because he doesn't do afrobeats but because he just wants to be that guy.

Every afrobeats documentary u have burnaboy in the front as the poster boy of the success of afrobeats, only for him to try to kill the genre because he wants to promote his own so called afrofusion.

People who are doing everything possible to make sure afrobeats doesn't rise are many.
Black Americans, Caribbeans and even fellow Africans are doing everything possible to mk sure it doesn't.

And a fellow Nigerian is helping them, as time goes on what burna boy just said would be echoed by them anytime they want to downplay afrobeats.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 / 200 People Call Radio Station For Missing Bag / Wizkid's 'Made In Lagos' Becomes Nigeria's Highest Charting Album On US Itunes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.