Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,238 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (26066 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by illicit(m): 11:32am On Aug 26, 2023
correctguy101:

And my small girl's favorite, OgheneRhema.. cheesy

The werey sings about absolutely nothing..... Smh

But who's to blame anyone? It's jhus people trying to live according to the times.....

Even Adekunle Gold has changed ministry.... A good beat is everything abeg, jhus say nonsense or hum along the beat, abi all those South African Djs and their misbehaviors with beats never still clear?

It's not easy jor...Burna Boy is jhus crazy.... grin

Which nonsense dem wan dey talk? Abeg make dem shut up and compose something meant for the gods jhor...

Deviates like my royal self can listen to jhus instrumentals and be satisfied. To us, music is never necessarily about what you say.. it's about the flow and rhythm you can dispense. We can even listen to vibrations and silence with seriousness, even sometimes find frogs and their yeye orchestra has got this ancestor seriously paying attention ...grin

That's why Kenny G, Yannis and Old Lord Bethoven among others can be on my playlist...

The way Rhema even they insult the girls

....I get money pass ur papa shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
You lack comprehension; pidgin also is not an inferior language. Would you consider patua an inferior language? The import of all Burna said is that the music being churned out lack content/message or creativity.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by TemitayoMark: 11:38am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.

Oga na only Grammar you just dey misyarn for here. Go to the point and stop blowing grammar. Fela is known to sing afrobeat. It's that simple. Na war for you ooo
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by aQUINandmore: 11:39am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.
hey!!! Fela that was nominated for the America rock and roll hall of fame
Hey kid, are you a virgin

3 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by grandstar(m): 11:39am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:

Sing about sex. cheesy cheesy

Yes, love and sex and Gucci and Gabbana
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Maliqcious: 11:40am On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime Sha like in Ojuelegba
so money na play to you
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by PissInside: 11:41am On Aug 26, 2023
I love Satan more than Nigerian music.

If you play nigerian music near me,you'll likely get shot 😎
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Ojagun(m): 11:41am On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:

Alot of una no too get sense like that.

Burnaboy just showed he is a greedy fellow, afrobeats is on the rise, it has risen so much that westerners consider all African songs afrobeats, and when u google afrobeats the person that pops up as the projenitor is fela.

Burnaboy said he doesn't do afrobeats that he does afrofusion, this is a name he himself created by himself not because he doesn't do afrobeats but because he just wants to be that guy.

Every afrobeats documentary u have burnaboy in the front as the poster boy of the success of afrobeats, only for him to try to kill the genre because he wants to promote his own so called afrofusion.

People who are doing everything possible to make sure afrobeats doesn't rise are many.
Black Americans, Caribbeans and even fellow Africans are doing everything possible to mk sure it doesn't

And a fellow Nigerian is helping them, as time goes on what burna boy just said would be echoed by them anytime they want to downplay afrobeats.
@Emboldened
Hee...hee..hee...Someone finally said it.The hatred from those groups you mentioned towards the sound and the artistes is quite amusing and disturbing.Funnily enough,the greatest proponents and consumers of the sound are from cultures and races who do not even look like Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Allisgud: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2023
Burna boy is wrong and also right
Burna boy is not doing real afro beat but afro fusion,the original aim of afro beat sound is to talk about reality of life like bad govt,bad behaviour in the society,wrong influence of the western,talk life happening in religion,politics,which even burna boy is not doing,all everybody sings are just imagination of the gud life,money ,love,the wrong side of it is imagine rema singing about the reality happening in Nigeria ,how will it be sweet in the hearing of indians ,the wrong is he shouldn't have condenm what gave him 2 grammies undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Douglad: 11:45am On Aug 26, 2023
Na why I love Burna Boy - Ye.

Omo that song really capture the way life be for naija for a wide majority of people. That song alone put Burna Boy as my number in Africa completely.

Burna Boy has some truth is what he's saying now but he for no criticise e people for public
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Manfromlasvegas(m): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:
Burnaboy is evil.

Burnaboy is trying to kill afrobeats that's y he is trying to promote the name afrofusion.

We already know afrofusion and afrobeats is the same thing, but he wants to create his own name so that people would say he is the progenitor of sth.

Burnaboy was always mid, twice as tall album was what saved his career.

After this thing he said about afrobeats I consider him cancelled.

I go follow u cancel am. Very arrogant idiot. Na our most important export him dey cast like this o because him don arrive him wan spoil road for others. Him don climb so him wan throway the ladder.

Music is all about taste and style, and frankly na the feeling way u get when u listen to a song na him be the most important thing. Go YouTube see as people all over the world dey praise Nigerian music say e dey give dem feelings when dem no know say dem possess. Wetin burna boy dey sing sef way different from wetin others dey sing. Burna boy sing pass asa, na because dem give am Grammy? Wetin many oyinbo musicians dey sing sef way dem dey use dey cash out for years. Use build a multi billion dollar industry. No be weed, pussy, and violence.

Music mustn't just be about message. I detest this notion with all my power. Music must not be all about struggle, suffering. A lot of people listen to music to escape from such things. Music for me is all about feelings, vibes, emotions way e fit inspire, romance, nostalgia. Thankfully a lot of Nigerian musicians get this, make burna boy get out

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Douglad: 11:49am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:

So explain how Burna's Ye gained global appeal. That song was 100% done in pidgin.

If your song sweet e sweet. Language doesn't matter
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Coldie(m): 11:50am On Aug 26, 2023
Ojagun:

@Emboldened
Hee...hee..hee...Someone finally said it.The hatred from those groups you mentioned towards the sound and the artistes is quite amusing and disturbing.Funnily enough,the greatest proponents and consumers of the sound are from cultures and races who do not even look like Nigerians
U know the kind fight way dae burst for twitter steady between Nigerians and these people over afrobeats?

Power black Americans with hundreds of thousands of followers would tweet "we don't want afrobeats" or "afrobeats is being used to replace rap" or "we must fight afrobeats" our question to them is they listen to oyibo music no problem y is afrobeats the only music triggering them?

Now that burnaboy has given them what they need, they now have an excuse for y it triggers them, they will say it's because the music lacks substance, and when u as them for receipts they will point to what burnaboy said.

This is the reason Davido is the only person I respect and follow on my social media.

I don't follow any burnaboy, cause the guy no get sense no be just talk na real.

3 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Menclothing: 11:51am On Aug 26, 2023
You sing rubbish your lyrics Re low just great beat
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Coldie(m): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2023
Manfromlasvegas:

I go follow u cancel am. Very arrogant idiot. Na our most important export him dey cast like this o because him don arrive him wan spoil road for others. Him don climb so him wan throway the ladder.

Music is all about taste and style, and frankly na the feeling way u get when u listen to a song na him be the most important thing. Go YouTube see as people all over the world dey praise Nigerian music say e dey give dem feelings when dem no know say dem possess. Wetin burna boy dey sing sef way different from wetin others dey sing. Burna boy sing pass asa, na because dem give am Grammy? Wetin many oyinbo musicians dey sing sef way dem dey use dey cash out for years. Use build a multi billion dollar industry. No be weed, pussy, and violence.

Music mustn't just be about message. I detest this notion with all my power. Music must not be all about struggle, suffering. A lot of people listen to music to escape from such things. Music for me is all about feelings, vibes, emotions way e fit inspire, romance, nostalgia. Thankfully a lot of Nigerian musicians get this, make burna boy get out
People listen to Asake music without hearing one yoruba word he is saying and they vibe to it and people think people listen to music for knowledge.

If person dae find wisdom person no know where gospel music dae?

I am happy Asake exists in burnaboys era. Asake is a reminder to burnaboy that he isn't that guy.

The only reason y his song is trending or topping on apple music charts right now is people just want to hear what he is singing, after this week all of them would go down as trash.

All his songs are mid and sound the same.

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by assholemods: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
You are wrong! Fela used pigin English in all his songs.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Coldie(m): 11:57am On Aug 26, 2023
Has anybody ever been to any club before and told the DJ to play afrofusion?

If burnaboy said he is not a part of afrobeats, if they remove him from the afrobeats conversation today would he be who he thinks he is?

Burnaboy is a wack artist, apart from edsheeran he gave every foreign artist their lowest features in their career.

Olamide is a better singer than Burnaboy

3 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by thomasjoe(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:

Neo Colonialism spotted !

Emancipate ___ from metal ___ none but ourselves can free our own minds!
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by FireUpNow(m): 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
What's original language of Rastas and their music. Fela did well with pidgin english.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by masterduba(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Afrobeats sells because we live in a world where s/x sells.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by IbotNugida(m): 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Your statement has only proved that you were only called, but never chosen! Your seed has not fallen in the midst of thorns; it fell on the rock, and must last die off fr6 the heat of the sun, and lack of sufficient water (knowledge).
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Ojagun(m): 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:

U know the kind fight way dae burst for twitter steady between Nigerians and these people over afrobeats?

Power black Americans with hundreds of thousands of followers would tweet "we don't want afrobeats" or "afrobeats is being used to replace rap" or "we must fight afrobeats" our question to them is they listen to oyibo music no problem y is afrobeats the only music triggering them?

Now that burnaboy has given them what they need, they now have an excuse for y it triggers them, they will say it's because the music lacks substance, and when u as them for receipts they will point to what burnaboy said.

This is the reason Davido is the only person I respect and follow on my social media.

I don't follow any burnaboy, cause the guy no get sense no be just talk na real.
My brother,thesame thing can be said about their journalists.Watch any Nigerian afrobeats artiste interview with a white journalist and the journalist will ask straight forward questions with no untoward desires.Try and watch any interview with a Nigerian artiste with any black foreign journalist and see how they'll just be dropping bomb questions after bomb questions for the artiste to say something that will get them into hot water...Eiissh
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Haakeem(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2023
marlow1962:
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.
you are a mu mu man.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Ganjafama(m): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2023
correctguy101:

Never heard of that song. But Kcee is among the most annoying of Nigerian musicians... angry

Even me wey be star for inside bathroom sing pass am.... grin
That's a fact. Kcee can't sing but Ojapiano is 80% beat, 20% singing.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by marlow1962(m): 12:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
Ganjafama:
What of Onyeka Onwenu, Sunny Okosun, Chris Okotie, Mike Okri, Bongos Igwe (who sang the cock crow at dawn masterpiece),Christy Essien-igbokwe, The Wrinklers experience (Fuel for love) and co? I love some of Fela's songs but that does not mean other artistes of his generation were wack.
I love them all and I play them. I'm not saying they're bad, but I'm more of a fela kind of guy.
Anyways thanks for reminding me their names, I usually forgets cus I do not play them often just like they way I bump fela songs everyday.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by marlow1962(m): 12:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
Haakeem:
you are a mu mu man.
Haakeem go to school so you can be a lliterate.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by marlow1962(m): 12:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
Drbarmes:

shey 2baba is from england
I love 2face, back then his songs were bomb, just like timaya back then. But I'm talking about present singers, they sing shit.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by SAMBARRY: 12:35pm On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime Sha like in Ojuelegba

Rhema just dey insult girls.... I get money pass ur papa.... Who does that
they're all birds of a feather.they are all in the same WhatsApp group.na only beats them get,most of them lack lyrical contents.infact good lyrical contents diee after the generation/era of lagbaja.it started deteriorating during the era of Tony tetuila, Idris Abdul Kareem and became worse during D'banj,ice Prince and wande coal era.when people like Davido, Olamide generation came up, lyrical contents died.na beats we dey chop so Burna boy doesn't even have the moral justification to say such because he's worse.

Most of his songs lack substance.

If we are talking about people who have the moral justification to complain about the death of lyrical contents it's people like Eminem,50cent, Micheal Jackson,sisquo, Kelvin little, Nelly, Whitney Houston, Rihanna Mariah Carey,then in nigeria sunny Ade, wasiu ayinde,Shina peters, Tiwa savage,sinmi etc

Burna boys songs can't even stand the test of time like wasiu ayinde, Fela, lucky Dube,Bob Marley, Christian essein,onyeka onwenu,majek fashek etc because it's lyrical contents that make songs last.moreover Burna boy lacks originality.hes always lifting songs from older generation musician.afterall he lifted Toni Braxtons man enough for his breakfast song
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by sirdest(m): 12:37pm On Aug 26, 2023
I think music is about beat and lyrics. U can have good lyrics but without good beat, it's rubbish. U can also sing rubbish in terms of lyrics but with good beats, u can still make waves
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by emerged01(m): 12:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
porthouse7:
which lyrics come remain in the world? We only enjoy feel good music this days, if only u won't to remix good old songs
Na laziness cause am. They can write good songs and they cant pay songwriters for good songs.
Apart from old songs,do you want to tell me that you have not heard good songs by our generation? Even Seyi Dejavu is a good song as local as it sounds.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by sylve11: 12:44pm On Aug 26, 2023
Omoluabi16:
Who made burna boy an authority in music? So a few Grammys and he thinks he's all that? The boy is a f***

Why wetin him talk dey vex you?

Him talk lies? embarassed cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

200 People Call Radio Station For Missing Bag / Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 / Official Video: Mavins - Dorobucci

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.