Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,884 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (25953 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dazzlingd(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
TheSuperX:
Keep deceiving yourself there, Burna boy said the fact and y'all know that but won't admit, Afrobeat is filled with mediocre wannabe musicians that sing about sex and women, both Wizkid and Davido are all singing rubbish with trashy songs, infacts Nigerians love musicians with trashy songs more than the good ones.

Lastly Burna Boy will never apologize because he isn't wrong and currently all his songs is trending on apple chart occupying 1-15 positions, Burna is here to stay for a very long time.

What does American music sing about?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nahunger(m): 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime Sha like in Ojuelegba

Rhema just dey insult girls.... I get money pass ur papa.... Who does that

🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Feelings79: 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2023
rapcy:
Well, some afrobeat songs has nothing in meaning truly but it is common with most artists globally. Even US artists dem, how many of them get jams wey dey talk better thing? Mostly na about drugs and women and no better beat to shake body to sef. I rather jam to my afrobeat wey gather rythm. That said, even the Burna Boy has lost touch to who he really was, after that OUTSIDE and AFRICAN GIANT album the rest na half bake album trying his best to sound global when in real sense it was his local prowess that got him the recognition he has now.
People like boys ll men,r Kelly, Babyface makes music that makes sense to me unlike our own Davido and wizkid that don't send any message in their songs
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Lastborn123: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
who sing Kpeskelemes wetin that wan mean self
even Burna boy dey sing rubbish, checkout most of his lyrics
Mummy's boy will never get sense
I think he should work on how not to talk down on Africa artists and Nigerians in particular.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ugbanante: 2:28pm On Aug 26, 2023
ShenTeh:
Wow.

You all see how the plate is regarded as dirty and gross after we are done with our delicacy from it.

U can c now? What genre of music does the boy sing?
When him begin music?
This statement is not balance
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by etrange: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.

And yet Afrobeats is fast gaining traction all over the world? Music on its own is a universal language. Toronto, New York and London are the three most diverse cities in the world and whenever you enter a club in these cities, you must hear Afrobeats being enjoyed by those that that do not understand a word of it. Even without any words/lyrics at all, people still enjoy instrumentals alone. You know why, because shockingly, lyrics doesn't have as much importance in music as sound does. The most widely definition of music is "an organized sound", so words are secondary. Words are only primary to poems where sound is secondary. Any educated person knows this.

So if you think people won't enjoy afrobeats because of the language, then think of the people that enjoyed Makosa even without understanding a word. Think of the the fact that American musicians used to sing in AAVE which is considered inferior and yet we all enjoyed it. Think of the fact that reggae was and is still in Jamaican Patois (thier own version of pidgin) and yet, it's enjoyed all over the world.

It's OK if you don't enjoy afrobeats, but pidgin is one of it's defining factors and has been from day one.

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by SpatialKing(m): 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:

Alot of una no too get sense like that.

Burnaboy just showed he is a greedy fellow, afrobeats is on the rise, it has risen so much that westerners consider all African songs afrobeats, and when u google afrobeats the person that pops up as the projenitor is fela.

Burnaboy said he doesn't do afrobeats that he does afrofusion, this is a name he himself created by himself not because he doesn't do afrobeats but because he just wants to be that guy.

Every afrobeats documentary u have burnaboy in the front as the poster boy of the success of afrobeats, only for him to try to kill the genre because he wants to promote his own so called afrofusion.

People who are doing everything possible to make sure afrobeats doesn't rise are many.
Black Americans, Caribbeans and even fellow Africans are doing everything possible to mk sure it doesn't.

And a fellow Nigerian is helping them, as time goes on what burna boy just said would be echoed by them anytime they want to downplay afrobeats.

I'm referring to Burnaboy

Have you ask yourself why the world is asking Afrobeat?

Because it currently lacks originally and content Afrobeat was known for
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by jrusky(m): 2:37pm On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime Sha like in Ojuelegba

The day I listened to that Rhema shit singing "I get money pass your papa" I was like is this a joke or music for real?

Anyway Burna pls don't rubbish your colleague work pls it doesn't sound too good. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by illicit(m): 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
jrusky:

The day I listened to that Rhema shit singing "I get money pass your papa" I was like is this a joke or music for real?

Anyway Burna pls don't rubbish your colleague work pls it doesn't sound too good. Thanks.

Honestly that song should be banned

Very rude
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by 2pacarnate(m): 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2023
Caveatemptor:

How is Lil Wayne new school?

With all due respect how old are you bro?is lil Wayne not the first rapper to start trap like music with lollipop?I know Wayne has been with baby from childhood,but when was his first album?even 50 cent don blow before lil Wayne and 50 came out fully 2002/2003....even though 50 first was in late 90's,jarule sef na millennium rapper although he was with ruff riders way back in the 90's...50 1st was the album he sang how to rob and bad news,your question shows either you were born in the late/ middle 90's,or you are older but not deep in music like me,do not argue music with me bro please,I can mention many rappers you don't even know they existed😁 drink ice water biko

Comot body for rappers argument please

Even Eminem rates big shun and Kendrick above wizzy, because those two has old school rap style......
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobodysboo(m): 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
Na him make you sing rubbish give us for dis new album
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobodysboo(m): 2:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Na him make you sing rubbish give us for dis new album
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Obagreatdatoye(m): 2:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
bigadler:
Nobody badmouths Nigeria and the Nigerian music industry more than that Burna Boy. Same Afrobeat genre he used to sing Ye, Gbona etc, he said it lacks substance. The weed and drugs must be affecting his brain.

To top it up, he always insults his Nigerian fans as if they knew him abroad before Nigerians promoted him. Someone who was cursing his Nigerian fans on stage? I pity the people still attending his shows.
All his fans are fools....the guy should be down...too proud to be called a man
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobodysboo(m): 2:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
Nah him make you sing rubbish give Nigerian for dis new album
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Caveatemptor(m): 2:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
2pacarnate:

With all due respect how old are you bro?is lil Wayne not the first rapper to start trap like music with lollipop?I know Wayne has been with baby from childhood,but when was his first album?even 50 cent don blow before lil Wayne and 50 came out fully 2002/2003....even though 50 first was in late 90's,jarule sef na millennium rapper although he was with ruff riders way back in the 90's...50 1st was the album he sang how to rob and bad news,your question shows either you were born in the late/ middle 90's,or you are older but not deep in music like me,do not argue music with me bro please,I can mention many rappers you don't even know they existed😁 drink ice water biko

Comot body for rappers argument please

Even Eminem rates big shun and Kendrick above wizzy, because those two has old school rap style......

I am asking you again if Lil Wayne is a new school rapper because I am aware Lil Wayne was in a group called the HOT BOYS who released their first album in 1997.

As for your assumption of my age I want you to know that one of the first albums I bought with my money was THE SUGARHILL GANG big single called Rappers delight in 1980. That should tell you I was there from the beginning. You are talking to a hip hop head .
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by jaxxy(m): 3:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
Always taking nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by johnog4sure: 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
Incorrect

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ThiefnubuBandit: 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
kestolove95:
I hate burna boy

Fvck off!!! Even in your village, nobody knows you.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by nairamaniac: 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2023
rapcy:
Well, some afrobeat songs has nothing in meaning truly but it is common with most artists globally. Even US artists dem, how many of them get jams wey dey talk better thing? Mostly na about drugs and women and no better beat to shake body to sef. I rather jam to my afrobeat wey gather rythm. That said, even the Burna Boy has lost touch to who he really was, after that OUTSIDE and AFRICAN GIANT album the rest na half bake album trying his best to sound global when in real sense it was his local prowess that got him the recognition he has now.

I'm a big music lover. And I cut across several genres and eras of music.

The burna boy is just Soo stupid and disrespectful to all that made him.

Without the afrobeats platform, he would never have gone this far.
He is sooo wrong, cos not all songs or genres are meant to make sense with lyrics.
Some makes sense bar/line.

And some are just about rhymes and the beats.

Making those beats is an art in itself.

That being said, the last burna boys album, Love Damini had some very very intelligent songs.

There were some songs on that album that neither Davido or wizkid have gotten close to, interms of Class & world-standard.

1. Science.
2. I wanna hold u so close(es Sheeran
3. Wild dream (Khalid)

Davido is my best for last maybe 5years.
But these 3songs I put there.

Davido can't deliver such all round class&intelligence.

An the songs in the Timeless Album were melodious. Sweet and you can play all songs on repeat all day.

But none of the Timeless songs touched those 3 Burna Boy's songs I put up there.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Chukwunonso1: 3:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
marlow1962:
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.

Do you know 2baba?
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Love800(m): 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
U sing gospel songs?
2pacarnate:
Nna mehnnnn

As a good rap.artist,I will say that burner boy is spotted,afrobeat/Nigerian music is trash,tubaba is the only one that tries to relate,I have never had any wizkid song on my phone,only ojuelegba is good.No message,no moral lessons,no inspiration,and most times I don't blame them because na we dey cause am,Nigerians just love danceable beats and lambs,

Do you even know that it has corrupted our girls the more, encouraging yahoo/yahoo plus.do you wonder why our rap musicians don't make waves?it's because people do.not care about lyrical content.

i remember the old.days we used to vibe with big pun,DMX,Tupac and outlaws,outcast(Andre mad lyricist and big boy)Dogg pound(kurupt and day nigga daz),biggie,jay z,lil Kim and da brat,KRS one,Dre,canibus,dizaster,born thugs and harmony,jarule,Eminem the maddest that said Bleep bush,raps about the government,rap is dead in Nigeria and it's one of the reasons why our government too is messing up

Presently I still listen to these guys , plus new schools like big shun, Kendrick,j Cole,Kanye,lil wayne and many more,

Rap,raggae,even rock and country music is the best,less I forget Nas(Nastradamus)the only rapper that won an award called the best metaphorical line(imagine that)in that song "hate me now"he said and I quote.....Niggas fear what they don't understand,hate what they can't conquer,guess I was a furious man became a monster,😁 .....

This line basically is the reason why igbos are hated in this country.They fear us because they don't understand how we made it after all we lost during the civil war,the hate us because we have refused to be conquered like some particular tribe who has become slaves to a certain poor and illiterate tribe just because of hate and political recognition. RAP IS THE BEST

Since it's hard for me to.blow,got signed twice but dropped after shooting music video for me twice by two different label,they couldn't push my song.i have decided to go The way of gospel,either by hook or by crook,the world must hear my voice,let me Evangelize....my Yoruba wife believes so much in me,she is my inspiration aside these rappers,many friends and relatives believe,I will.not fail them

Anyway

TRUTH HURTS
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Rostikol: 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2023
Basic123:
Honest,I don't know what that burna wants to achieve with this!

The guy has ended up setting Afrobeats backwards by 50years with this speech!

Impossible.

Burna Boy hasn’t got the power to do that.

The clubs and radios across the world are at this minute INCREASING their playing of Afrobeats, not decreasing it.

Burna boy’s comments are totally irrelevant. He is just a small boy talking rubbish about Nigeria like he always does.

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Rostikol: 4:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
Hussein035:

I don't blame the small burna boy. You see, when God just bless your small effort and you are not careful you will conclude that those who work harder with aggressive sweat did not know what they are doing, you may even condemn your elders looking for their mistakes.

What is burna boy singing lets ask ourselves. If some street guys sing for you one will understand that being a superstar is not all about what you do but favour from God

Dear Burna boy or whatever is your name glorify God for what you achieve and keep quiet

Very well said.

Burna Boy is stupid and senseless.

He doesn’t realise he is kicking himself in the foot by condemning the very genre the world recognises him by.

Just stupid, thoughtless and dumb.

It’s like Snoop Dogg or 50 cent saying rap music is ‘nothing’.

Or Chris Rock saying RnB is ‘nothing’.

They would NEVER do that.

What kind of stupid idiot and moro.n is this?

Because you make big money you now turn stupid?

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Babysho(m): 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
There are some atom of truth in what he has said especially if he includes himself as being from time to time a partaker of the disempowerment of afrobeats but props to him as even his low quota of music synonymous to our reality is still the highest in the music industry.

The origin of fela’s afrobeats was 90% political issues and 10% flenjour. Our reality is the same as back then but somehow we’re having 90% flenjour and 10% political music.

How has this happened? If you asked me I'd say the political elites realised how powerful music can be and as a precaution, they've weaned and filtered out the true political or rebellious sounds to the sewers, pushing forward the garbage we have now. It didn’t happen by randomness, someone put conscious effort into making it so.

If you’re looking for music close to our reality, please stream and listen to my song O.Z - Stalemate on audiomack
https://audiomack.com/ozencore/song/stalemate

Please like and comment on the song❤️❤️

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by adesmoney(m): 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2023
What's Afrobeats without pidjin? Dey play
Winner90:

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Kingbuhari(m): 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2023
Pride will bring this one down

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by JetApartment: 4:48pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.

So, you mean pidgin is not a language, your level of inferiority complex is just so amazing...na your type go school when dem call pidgin vernacular, that brainwashed mentality is still very fresh in your memory even at old age.

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by lascos912(m): 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2023
Dyfynezz12:
But millions of ppl still stream and download their songs.
Mayb the world loves 'rubbish'
you just said my mind
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by JetApartment: 5:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
Noneroone:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/afrobeats-is-nothing-lacks-substance-burna-boy/amp/

Burna Boy should stop smoking weed, how do you expect this trash to come out from the mouth that feeds with Afrobeat, as in Burna Boy sings Afrobeat yet he calls it something that lacks substance, that means he admitted singing rubbish.

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Emma1Oj(m): 5:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime sha like in Ojuelegba and Joy etc

cheesy cheesy cheesy You funny sha.. Be calming down..
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by illicit(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2023
Emma1Oj:
cheesy cheesy cheesy You funny sha.. Be calming down..

Check am nah

That line is annoying, the boy no get respect, even Wizkid no dey use such lines
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Emilo(m): 5:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
Armaggedon:
The truth at last. Once you tell me you enjoy songs from WizKid, Davido etc I'll rate you low instantly.

Same with me. I always wonder who listens n attends their shoe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Naira Marley – Puta (Official Video) / All Tracklist Of Olamide – Rapsodi First Debut Album / Audio Download - Okpo Records Smooth Criminal Download Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.