Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (26017 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Emilo(m): 5:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
marlow1962:
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.

I think Fals, SDC, Phyno try

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2023
Obagreatdatoye:

All his fans are fools....the guy should be down...too proud to be called a man

Honestly, his arrogance is on another level. The day I saw him telling his fans "na God go punish you" after coming late to his own show, that was when I knew that guy had a big problem... very unprofessional and arrogant human being.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by justmondris: 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Burna boy has been paid via endorsement to downgrade Afro beats sinces it's rising too fast to the world but one country sees it as a treat to their music industry.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by TheSuperX(m): 7:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
dazzlingd:

What does American music sing about?
And you want to compare America musicians to the trashy musicians we have here? you must be a clown, including those two people that liked your post. 😂
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by DyingFetus: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2023
Look at this one

Even ordinary rema Is bigger than this gay called bona boy
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Omalicious1: 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Karleb(m): 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2023
The heading has little correlation to the content. But he is right.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by maxoemmy: 9:53pm On Aug 26, 2023
Noneroone:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/afrobeats-is-nothing-lacks-substance-burna-boy/amp/

The end of a great artist… I know it was over for him once I saw the interview with his grand father and mother and then listening to his album this morning. I guess a Grammy cannot save a career after all 😔.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Fejimummy: 11:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
He is just a low budget kanye west 😂😂😂
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Ubanky(m): 1:33am On Aug 27, 2023
Gorilla don open mouth talk after too much weed
same Afrobeats that took you to your current heights is now nothing because say you don dey follow international artists...i just pity you na still Nigerians go destroy your carrier if you don't take time....after releasing the worse album ever in his carrier
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 2:24am On Aug 27, 2023
Feelings79:
People like boys ll men,r Kelly, Babyface makes music that makes sense to me unlike our own Davido and wizkid that don't send any message in their songs
Lol and what message are they sending? I like American r&b but don’t pretend like there’s any message. Most of it is womanizer or player music. I think you just prefer the rhythm of the American music but if you really listen to the lyrics you’ll see that they are not better
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by DCONE1(m): 7:39am On Aug 27, 2023
crossfm:
Hehehe.

He said nothing but the truth,though it came out harsh.

Most of these music is just noise.

How can somebody be shouting " see Mary,see Jesus,see Mary,see Jesus" ; grin from the beginning of his song till the end and we call it music .

Some of them no da even listen to their lyrics before releasing it.
some one said "versace" (migos) in America from the beginning to the end
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Haakeem(m): 7:48am On Aug 27, 2023
marlow1962:

Haakeem go to school so you can be a lliterate.
You're high on something right?
Aumapa.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by shonepa(m): 8:37am On Aug 27, 2023
Before you accuse someone, try understand say afrobeat is different from afrobeats.

Wetin most Nigerians dey sing now is afrobeats. Burna neva exempted emself na, he just spoke the truth. He said most songs, but not all. If u agree with the truth, few songs in Nigeria have substance.

And Burna neva insulted his fans, those who said he shot someone becos of woman, are dey really his fans.

His truth is very clear 4k quality, las las his a musician and his making money. Dont complain, dont explain just believe.

bigadler:
Nobody badmouths Nigeria and the Nigerian music industry more than that Burna Boy. Same Afrobeat genre he used to sing Ye, Gbona etc, he said it lacks substance. The weed and drugs must be affecting his brain.

To top it all, he always insults his Nigerian fans as if they knew him abroad before Nigerians promoted him. Someone who was cursing his Nigerian fans on stage? I pity the people still attending his shows.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by shonepa(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2023
Before you accuse someone, try understand say afrobeat is different from afrobeats.

Wetin most Nigerians dey sing now is afrobeats. Burna neva exempted emself na, he just spoke the truth. He said most songs, but not all. If u agree with the truth, few songs in Nigeria have substance.

And Burna neva insulted his fans, those who said he shot someone becos of woman, are dey really his fans.

His truth is very clear 4k quality, las las his a musician and his making money. Dont complain, dont explain just believe
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by antibullshit: 8:47am On Aug 27, 2023
Noneroone:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/afrobeats-is-nothing-lacks-substance-burna-boy/amp/

Burna is 100% right ! Most nigerian artists nowadays have very shallow content ! The truth is bitter.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Tzar(m): 10:32am On Aug 27, 2023
This ungrateful boy is about to dig his own hole. The same afrobeat that brought you to limelight is what you denigrate? You are just a prodigal child who uses his left hand to give directions to his father’s house!
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by sosereal201(m): 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2023
Fact is everyone has his own style of singing. If Burna wan dey sing about life he is welcome he doesn't have the right to insult another person's way of singing. Plus he has just told the world that Afrobeats is trash and that includes his own music. Smh
illicit:
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime sha like in Ojuelegba and Joy etc

Rhema just dey insult girls.... I get money pass ur papa.... Who does that
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Blossom01115: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2023
well. to me i dont see any thing bad in what he said. everyone is entitled to his/her opinions
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by MrFly(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
After snifing, inhaling and injecting banned substances into his body system, why wont he come online and speak trash? U think say Burna normal?
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ddeola: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2023
Na una misquote Burna. I honestly don't listen to all these our young artistes including Burna Boy himself because dem no get content, I mean real message. If na lie, please listen to any old song by Ebenezer Obey, Orlando Owoh, Sunny Ade, Haruna Ishola, Fela Anikulapokuti etc. you will see what Burna is talking about. I feel sorry for the young generation who are being fed with junks in the name of music and entertainment. Some of dem don do 10 different remix of just one song and they claim they are creative. Abeg, make una rethink and doll out correct songs, you all can do it. wink wink wink
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2023
Coldie:

Rap music and ragae is worst than anything, a music that promotes gang, sex, guns and drugs.

Which hip-hop or Jamaican artist have u ever seen trying to talk down on it.

The only person who promotes gangs and drugs in his music is burnaboy, every other afrobeats artist does feel good music that makes u want to just be happy and dance.

Burnaboy dae use Nigerians play, we go shock am, the album he just released would flop heavily in Nigeria.
His ' big 7 ' tasteless song comes to mind.
He likes to force the gang affiliation narrative down the throats of his rivals. Wherever they might be.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by koskilala: 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2023
Why do people always see burna boy as arrogant when he airs his views? He has a very strong point tho.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by 12inchess: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2023
Burna boy is a liar. He didn't create Afro fusion. The first time I heard the word "Afrofusion" was during an interview with Lagbaja where they asked him what He would called the music he was doing since he fused so many Genres together like Hip-hop, R&B, Jazz, juju, Apala, reggae etc. And Lagbaja responded that he would call it a fusion. Like "Afrofusion"

Burna didn't create it. I'm 100 percent sure.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dazzlingd(m): 2:00pm On Aug 30, 2023
TheSuperX:
And you want to compare America musicians to the trashy musicians we have here? you must be a clown, including those two people that liked your post. 😂

We know Asake, Wizkid, Rema, Burna boy etc all over the world. These guys have performed in international stage. Currently in the US, Nigerian music is taken over.
First question; who are you? What have you achieved with your life other than envy against your fellow Nigerians (because this is obviously envy, typical black man)
Asake should be your age mate, perhaps, you are probably older than Rema.
It is not only music you can do, you can do many things to shine in your own way, but this envy and bitterness won’t save you.
Obama knows Rema, does your local government chairman even know you?
Think about your life and how you are a mediocre before insulting people making the country recognized. Even portable is more achieved than you
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by correctguy101(m): 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2023
dazzlingd:

We know Asake, Wizkid, Rema, Burna boy etc all over the world. These guys have performed in international stage. Currently in the US, Nigerian music is taken over.
First question; who are you? What have you achieved with your life other than envy against your fellow Nigerians (because this is obviously envy, typical black man)
Asake should be your age mate, perhaps, you are probably older than Rema.
It is not only music you can do, you can do many things to shine in your own way, but this envy and bitterness won’t save you.
Obama knows Rema, does your local government chairman even know you?
Think about your life and how you are a mediocre before insulting people making the country recognized. Even portable is more achieved than you

grin

You can yab o...

The times where Nigerians are so much interested in foreign music has long passed. I could remember years back, especially on Christmas days, one could hardly hear any Nigerian song blasting from speakers. Even Shaba Ranks and the others reign pass Nigerian songs.

Not anymore, we hardly have time for foreign songs as our boys dey fire correct gbedu back to back... Even oyibo dem love our songs more than we love theirs these days.

Only someone who hates truth go dey look down on our musicians. Even OgheneRhema wey dey dohohohoho still better pass many American musicians in my honest opinion. At least I have calm down and dumebi in my phone... grin

No take the guy too serious, na the money American musicians get dey deceive his brain.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dazzlingd(m): 2:24pm On Aug 30, 2023
correctguy101:

grin

You can yab o...

The times where Nigerians are so much interested in foreign music has long passed. I could remember years back, especially on Christmas days, one could hardly hear any Nigerian song blasting from speakers. Even Shaba Ranks and the others reign pass Nigerian songs.

Not anymore, we hardly have time for foreign songs as our boys dey fire correct gbedu back to back... Even oyibo dem love our songs more than we love theirs these days.

Only someone who hates truth go dey look down on our musicians. Even OgheneRhema wey dey dohohohoho still better pass many American musicians in my honest opinion. At least I have calm down and dumebi in my phone... grin

No take the guy too serious, na the money American musicians get dey deceive his brain.

Calm down by Rema seems to be the most played song in the US. They use it for TV commercials, it is virtually everywhere on the streets.
Enter a random place and you hear Afro beats playing at the background. It is simply amazing

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Sladem05: 11:35pm On Dec 09, 2023
albert2512:

You have inferiority complex. Pidgin is not inferior it is just indigenous and funny enough, it is being appreciated and bought internationally(check music skit on tiktok and others).

Pidgin appreciated and bought internationally? 😂😂. It is laughed at. Pidgin English is just bad English.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Sladem05: 11:42pm On Dec 09, 2023
dazzlingd:

Calm down by Rema seems to be the most played song in the US. They use it for TV commercials, it is virtually everywhere on the streets.
Enter a random place and you hear Afro beats playing at the background. It is simply amazing

Why are Nigerians like this? Many of you people have such an inflated view of your uncivilised,barbaric, backward, shithole of a nation.

Where on the chart do you see an AfroBeat Artist on Spotify most listened?

There is only one Afrobeat song on that chart

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Sladem05: 11:50pm On Dec 09, 2023
etrange:

And yet Afrobeats is fast gaining traction all over the world? Music on its own is a universal language. Toronto, New York and London are the three most diverse cities in the world and whenever you enter a club in these cities, you must hear Afrobeats being enjoyed by those that that do not understand a word of it. Even without any words/lyrics at all, people still enjoy instrumentals alone. You know why, because shockingly, lyrics doesn't have as much importance in music as sound does. The most widely definition of music is "an organized sound", so words are secondary. Words are only primary to poems where sound is secondary. Any educated person knows this.

So if you think people won't enjoy afrobeats because of the language, then think of the people that enjoyed Makosa even without understanding a word. Think of the the fact that American musicians used to sing in AAVE which is considered inferior and yet we all enjoyed it. Think of the fact that reggae was and is still in Jamaican Patois (thier own version of pidgin) and yet, it's enjoyed all over the world.

It's OK if you don't enjoy afrobeats, but pidgin is one of it's defining factors and has been from day one.

What you say about music being more about sound than lyrics is true.

You can’t compare AAVE or Jamaican Patois to Pidgin English. Are you mad? First of all, those dialects are way easier to comprehend than English. Secondly, Pidgin doesn’t have anywhere near the same recognition as either patois or AAVE because of media exposure. Most of the slang in UK, US, Canada and from other Western nations stems from AAVE or Jamaican Patois. Pidgin is not well known internationally. Not by any stretch of imagination.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Sladem05: 6:26am On Dec 10, 2023
albert2512:

You have inferiority complex. Pidgin is not inferior it is just indigenous and funny enough, it is being appreciated and bought internationally(check music skit on tiktok and others).

That is certainly not true. Pidgin English is just bad English. You people in Nigeria don’t even know how to speak the language properly. Most people do not understand Pidgin English on a global level.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dazzlingd(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2023
Sladem05:

Why are Nigerians like this? Many of you people have such an inflated view of your uncivilised,barbaric, backward, shithole of a nation.

Where on the chart do you see an AfroBeat Artist on Spotify most listened?

There is only one Afrobeat song on that chart

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/

When someone is filled with bitterness and stupidity, this is the result. Are you sure you don’t have any history of mental illness?
From what you posted, are you so blind not to see the same Calm down by Rema I mentioned among the top 10 global songs.
Tiwa savage, Davido, Kiss Daniel, burna boy, rema have all performed in significant events ant the world and yet you didn’t see that one. You are such a bitter soul and a loser, please don’t bring your hatred and frustration here. Fool!! Mention one thing you have achieved in your entire miserable life? Just one

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Paul Okoye 'Rudeboy' – "Fire Fire" (Video) / Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / Harry Belafonte Dies At 96

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.