Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,850 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (26033 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Solomyn(m): 12:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
What about 2face
marlow1962:
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by SAMBARRY: 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2023
sylve11:

Why wetin him talk dey vex you?

Him talk lies? embarassed cool
yes because he himself is guilty of what hear projecting

H doesn't even have the justification to say such when people like sunny Ade, Ebenezer obey,lagbaja, Angelique Kidjo are still alive

Oro Yen koto silenu
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by falopey: 12:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
rapcy:
Well, some afrobeat songs has nothing in meaning truly but it is common with most artists globally. Even US artists dem, how many of them get jams wey dey talk better thing? Mostly na about drugs and women and no better beat to shake body to sef. I rather jam to my afrobeat wey gather rythm. That said, even the Burna Boy has lost touch to who he really was, after that OUTSIDE and AFRICAN GIANT album the rest na half bake album trying his best to sound global when in real sense it was his local prowess that got him the recognition he has now.

Have you ever listened to country music? It mostly talk about real life experience. Maybe what you said is true about songs by black artists. Blacks have the same perception everywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNReepITjN0&pp=ygUSaGVhcnQgbGlrZSBhIHRydWNr
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by authentic18: 12:53pm On Aug 26, 2023
Ok
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
falopey:

Have you ever listened to country music? It mostly talk about real life experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNReepITjN0&pp=ygUSaGVhcnQgbGlrZSBhIHRydWNr
Why do you hate yourself so much?

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by falopey: 12:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
Naijaboy18:

Why do you hate yourself so much?

I do not hate myself. Truth will always be the truth regardless how much you love yourself more than God love you. Look At black American rappers. The same mumble songs they sing.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by gfon(m): 1:00pm On Aug 26, 2023
bigadler:
Nobody badmouths Nigeria and the Nigerian music industry more than that Burna Boy. Same Afrobeat genre he used to sing Ye, Gbona etc, he said it lacks substance. The weed and drugs must be affecting his brain.

To top it up, he always insults his Nigerian fans as if they knew him abroad before Nigerians promoted him. Someone who was cursing his Nigerian fans on stage? I pity the people still attending his shows.
all this bloggers are mischievous, burna said what they are dishing out in the name of afro beats lacks substance. Meaning most musicians just dish out thrash. And that's a fact
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
falopey:

I do not hate myself. Truth will always be the truth regardless how much you love yourself more than God love you. Look At black American rappers. The same mumble songs they sing.
you have low self esteem. Support your own

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by gfon(m): 1:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Omoluabi16:
Who made burna boy an authority in music? So a few Grammys and he thinks he's all that? The boy is a f***
hate him or like him, that's the truth. Nah why he's fit to win a Grammy. And burna was referring to artists that dish out music with no substance in the name of afro beats, but trust bloggers to twist the whole narrative to drive traffic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ogbonti: 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
Armaggedon:
The truth at last. Once you tell me you enjoy songs from WizKid, Davido etc I'll rate you low instantly.

Shorrop there - what is the substance in rap music by snoop doggy dogg ? ludacris? coolio ? busta rhymes? and other new ones talking about money and bit….ches .. is that substance ? Burna boy don match line - and he will soon realize no one “can clap with one hand” - what an id iot he is to talk down the brand that brought him fame

it’s like Bob Marley saying reggae music lacks substance - or Peter Torch trashing reggae… ? never … I remember Lucky Dube sang “ nobody can stop reggae because reggae strong” … that’s the spirituality and essence of the brand - to spike up the emotions of the fans that indeed reggae in s not just music but something more to the soul

this burna boy rant is exactly the mentality that has demystified african uniqueness and spirituality in the global scheme of things …

for example, white people stole our artifacts - put it in their museums- crafted stories about them and made hundreds of billions of dollars in tourism revenue from it over a century -

BUT what do we as Africans do with our own culture that we should sell to the world ?

we call our ancestors demons, we cast and bind them all day by the power of a jewish man called Jesus and we insult the memories of our ancestors all day like they are responsible for our foolishness today where we snatch ballot boxes 🗳 on election day, collect N10,000 (that can’t sustain anyone now for one day) to sell our future for 4 to 8 years, we vote based on tribal or religious sentiments and elect people we sure know have no capacity, character or competence to make our lives better - and on empty stomach and borrowed data, we insult and harass anyone that calls our choices to order, we choose mediocrity over excellence and then we ……..

run to the temple of our foreign religion and start praying endlessly for some miracle 😏

What Burna Boy just said about afro beat to the world 🌎 is the main reason why Nigeria will never see the light - the syndrome of knowing what is right to think, say or do.. but choosing the opposite- what a useless man 🤨

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by luluman: 1:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
Yet the likes of Fela, got the universal appeal. You lied.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Weathered: 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
are you talking about Fela?
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by TYCO77: 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Winner90:

Rema...'Calm down' commands no global appeal? Music is food for the soul and language is never a barrier. A good music will always be appealing no matter the language of delivery.

3 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by falopey: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
Naijaboy18:

you have low self esteem. Support your own
Low self esteem over what’s not my business. Are you kidding me! Listen! You don’t know me. I didn’t grow up listening to music. Music, afrobeat, davido all of them were never my thing back in the days. Now I’m grown. I listen to music with good real life lyrics. Not the wumble mumble types you listen to.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by nextstep(m): 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Life hard, then music talks about hard life?

If music come be like this life wey hard so, wetin man go enjoy? Abeg let me watch people shakin body while I drown my stress in Hero.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Mrman221: 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
Fela's song was awesome

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2023
falopey:
Low self esteem over what’s not my business. Are you kidding me! Listen! You don’t know me. I didn’t grow up listening to music. Music, afrobeat, davido all of them were never my thing back in the days. Now I’m grown. I listen to music with good real life lyrics. Not the wumble mumble types you listen to.
You should go back to not listening to music

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Winner90: 1:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
luluman:
Yet the likes of Fela, got the universal appeal. You lied.
Fela or fela's songs?
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
gfon:
all this bloggers are mischievous, burna said what they are dishing out in the name of afro beats lacks substance. Meaning most musicians just dish out thrash. And that's a fact

Bros, what a popular musician like Burna says about Afrobeats matters a lot. Very soon now that genre would be less appreciated. No be Nigerian supposed dey talk this kind thing!

Burna boy is breaking the ladder for other upcoming artistes, it's so wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by correctguy101(m): 1:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
Ganjafama:
That's a fact. Kcee can't sing but Ojapiano is 80% beat, 20% singing.

I'll check it out.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Hussein035: 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
Noneroone:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/afrobeats-is-nothing-lacks-substance-burna-boy/amp/

I don't blame the small burna boy. You see, when God just bless your small effort and you are not careful you will conclude that those who work harder with aggressive sweat did not know what they are doing, you may even condemn your elders looking for their mistakes.

What is burna boy singing lets ask ourselves. If some street guys sing for you one will understand that being a superstar is not all about what you do but favour from God

Dear Burna boy or whatever is your name glorify God for what you achieve and keep quiet

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by gfon(m): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
bigadler:

Bros, what a popular musician like Burna says about Afrobeats matters a lot. Very soon now that genre would be less appreciated. No be Nigerian supposed dey talk this kind thing!

Burna boy is breaking the ladder for other upcoming artistes, it's so wrong.
he didn't talk against afro beats,but the substance artist are dishing in the name of afro beats. They are two different meanings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:21pm On Aug 26, 2023
rapcy:
Well, some afrobeat songs has nothing in meaning truly but it is common with most artists globally. Even US artists dem, how many of them get jams wey dey talk better thing? Mostly na about drugs and women and no better beat to shake body to sef. I rather jam to my afrobeat wey gather rythm. That said, even the Burna Boy has lost touch to who he really was, after that OUTSIDE and AFRICAN GIANT album the rest na half bake album trying his best to sound global when in real sense it was his local prowess that got him the recognition he has now.

Bolded is quite apt!

His arrogant assertion is akin to one using a ladder to get to a higher level, then when you're safely off the ladder you turn around and give it a good kick and watch as those coming up behind you go tumbling to the ground.....so you prevent them from coming up to the level you used the same ladder to reach! shocked

I never really liked his music that much any way!
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:28pm On Aug 26, 2023
lekanation:
Coming out of the mouth of someone that 85percent of his songs are samples

Can you imagine!
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by jasontrigga(m): 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
The truth is

We Nigerian are so foolish
And very foolish
Burna boy is very foolish

The same Afrobeat and Afro-song
That made him
Who he is today

Because he has gain some global recognition his talking down on Afro music
And you expect the west to rate you ?

Once you sell ur country or country’s heritage even ur buyers wouldn’t take u serious

Same foolish thing
That guy , that was interview on BBC news
UK did
How he successfully blocked other’s chances of travelling through the same route that took him there

We Nigeria talk to much
And that’s unnecessary

In USA and any other country
You hear them sing about rubbish things
But they still rate their industry high

Guys like , yingyang twin , birdman, and the likes
What exactly are they singing

The America gangster mostly sing about , guns , cars and women

But we still rate them

But when it comes to Nigeria
You’re looking for substance
What substance exactly

Personal I listen to music for entertainment and sometimes mood swing

If I’m looking for substance I read books and visit YouTube

Our guys need to learn how to answer interview questions , they ain’t Matured atall

3 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Caveatemptor(m): 1:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
2pacarnate:
Nna mehnnnn

As a good rap.artist,I will say that burner boy is spotted,afrobeat/Nigerian music is trash,tubaba is the only one that tries to relate,I have never had any wizkid song on my phone,only ojuelegba is good.No message,no moral lessons,no inspiration,and most times I don't blame them because na we dey cause am,Nigerians just love danceable beats and lambs,

Do you even know that it has corrupted our girls the more, encouraging yahoo/yahoo plus.do you wonder why our rap musicians don't make waves?it's because people do.not care about lyrical content.

i remember the old.days we used to vibe with big pun,DMX,Tupac and outlaws,outcast(Andre mad lyricist and big boy)Dogg pound(kurupt and day nigga daz),biggie,jay z,lil Kim and da brat,KRS one,Dre,canibus,dizaster,born thugs and harmony,jarule,Eminem the maddest that said Bleep bush,raps about the government,rap is dead in Nigeria and it's one of the reasons why our government too is messing up

Presently I still listen to these guys , plus new schools like big shun, Kendrick,j Cole,Kanye,lil wayne and many more,

Rap,raggae,even rock and country music is the best,less I forget Nas(Nastradamus)the only rapper that won an award called the best metaphorical line(imagine that)in that song "hate me now"he said and I quote.....Niggas fear what they don't understand,hate what they can't conquer,guess I was a furious man became a monster,😁 .....

This line basically is the reason why igbos are hated in this country.They fear us because they don't understand how we made it after all we lost during the civil war,the hate us because we have refused to be conquered like some particular tribe who has become slaves to a certain poor and illiterate tribe just because of hate and political recognition. RAP IS THE BEST

Since it's hard for me to.blow,got signed twice but dropped after shooting music video for me twice by two different label,they couldn't push my song.i have decided to go The way of gospel,either by hook or by crook,the world must hear my voice,let me Evangelize....my Yoruba wife believes so much in me,she is my inspiration aside these rappers,many friends and relatives believe,I will.not fail them

Anyway

TRUTH HURTS

How is Lil Wayne new school?
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by candygist: 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2023
wittywriter:
How come ? What infered this notion from Burna Boy...
So can someone remind me what category or genre of songs Fela Abami-Eda was entertaining the world with.

How old are you? Fela , Sunny Ade and Angelique sang in pidgin.

...to you Fela's songs wasn't appealing ok o.

I'm bemused by their wrong opinion.

Wittyness

You don't know the meaning of substance ? Fela songs had substance bro. But you see so many Nigerian artiste of today dont have content. Everytime, ''she tell me say'' "I get money" and so many bullshit.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by TheSuperX(m): 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:

Right now many songs in other part of the world are trash.

Is it hip hop?

The only major hip hop artist making waves right now are female hip-hop artists, abi as a guy do u want to be playing, am a Barbie girl in a Barbie world?

Afrobeats music really make sense let's stop lying to ourselves.

Asake just upped the game, burnaboy downfall just started after this his comment against afrobeats.

Mark my words he would apologize for this his comment
Keep deceiving yourself there, Burna boy said the fact and y'all know that but won't admit, Afrobeat is filled with mediocre wannabe musicians that sing about sex and women, both Wizkid and Davido are all singing rubbish with trashy songs, infacts Nigerians love musicians with trashy songs more than the good ones.

Lastly Burna Boy will never apologize because he isn't wrong and currently all his songs is trending on apple chart occupying 1-15 positions, Burna is here to stay for a very long time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
gfon:
he didn't talk against afro beats,but the substance artist are dishing in the name of afro beats. They are two different meanings

Y'all are failing to say the truth, he really tainted the image of afrobeats and afrobeats artistes. How many American artistses would condemn hiphop despite the trash they're singing..

Don't worry, you don't understand what I'm talking about. Once Afrobeats start getting less rating globally, y'all will realize that the dude is just throwing the ladder away cos he has made money and fame. He is an ignoramus.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Kipaji: 1:56pm On Aug 26, 2023
kestolove95:
I hate burna boy
Understand thay you are hating somebody you don't know and who doesn't know you. It's better to keep hate out of your heart.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by etrange: 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
Armaggedon:
The truth at last. Once you tell me you enjoy songs from WizKid, Davido etc I'll rate you low instantly.

This is lack of education on your part. Music is an art, and as such, it's extremely subjective. It's perfectly OK not to like a particular kind of art, but it doesn't make you any superior than someone that likes it. Some people love abstract art, some people think it's a waste of paint. Likewise, some people like the sound of Afrobeats (even when they don't understand the language) while some don't. None of these people is essentially superior to the other and if you think the kind of art you appreciate places you about others, then you know absolutely nothing about art.

2 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by dazzlingd(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Basic123:
Honest,I don't know what that burna wants to achieve with this!

The guy has ended up setting Afrobeats backwards by 50years with this speech!

He is noting but a fool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 / 200 People Call Radio Station For Missing Bag / Wizkid's 'Made In Lagos' Becomes Nigeria's Highest Charting Album On US Itunes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.