Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before (5031 Views)

What The Igbos Eat You Don't Know Existed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Danisaint112(m): 1:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

Hahahahah

Mehn don really cause problem with Thier hands o.

As for me I'm thinking if I get to 80 or 75 by God grace.

I will just jeje go to Nigeria stay in the village and begin to cause problem.

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Wired right ? I need something to keep the BP running.

I will buy a land and sell it to 2 people then use old age and pretend u til they fight πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Sounds like a good idea and funny until you finally die and get to the heavens gate and God orders you not to enter because you have created sworn enemies. 😁

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by socialjustice93: 1:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Do you know what this is ?

Ofe Achara na mostly Abia people delicacy be this. Very delicious and healthy soup πŸ˜‹
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by fx45(m): 1:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

I think it's fermented egusi
I don't think so
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
Danisaint112:

Sounds like a good idea and funny until you finally die and get to the heavens gate and God orders you not to enter because you have created sworn enemies. 😁

Bad people dey hardly die for Nigeria

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
fx45:
I don't think so

Me I don't really know I only see little things that look like egusi
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
socialjustice93:

Ofe Achara na mostly Abia people delicacy be this. Very delicious and healthy soup πŸ˜‹

Achara to the world
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Blake755: 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

Seriously?

Mehn I don't know, one thing I know for sure is that no matter how it smells or the way it was made .

That shit is damn healthy than many western drugs
Yes people we know that ate more of this here is isuochi people
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Danisaint112(m): 1:23pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

He made a fair point about trying to compete the cooking between states tho.

But also it's true about Anambra women and soups.

They are super blessed, unless the new genz Anambra women.

Older Anambra women are not good in cooking rice and noodles.

Omg especially jellof rice .

But soup they are perfect.

That's just what I'm trying to let him ( descarado ) know. He just has to experience it first hand.

Like go to Anambra and try out the food of that woman that is said to know how to cook and do same for Imo and compare.

A friend of mine in Abuja here, from Taraba state, travelled to Anambra state, Ekwulobia to be precise. He bought food from different food sellers including road side sellers.

He said he couldn't believe it, that any food he eats is awesome and tasty to the point he began to wonder how much gain they will be making.

That literally all the food he tasted was tasty and filled him well and that it wasn't same when he went to Imo pricisely.

He called me by name right there and in his exact word said; "Anambra women sabi cook!" "Dem dey cook abeg!"

I'm not just by his experience alone. I have had first hand experience and that of other people who have also compared so when I say this I know what I'm saying.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Danisaint112(m): 1:27pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

Bad people dey hardly die for Nigeria

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

E go shock you say na HBP go kpai you after the first year of causing trouble 😁
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by saintfieldcastro: 1:28pm On Aug 26, 2023
descarado:

Pls stop. Must it be competition. Una no dey tire.
What kind of inferiority complex is this?

This is how you guys always open room for others to attack you.

This is an Igbo affair.
What are you doing here?
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by nobilie: 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Achicha is one of the local food prepared by Enugu people, Achicha which is made of dry cocoyam can be prepared with fresh akidi, or fio fio, achicha can also be prepared alone with just scent leaf. Achicha is loved by both people of Enugu state and visitor’s and mostly prepared by the people of Awgu, Nsukka and Ezeagu of Enugu state.
I love this food by Awgu(Ugbo) people.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2023
Danisaint112:

E go shock you say na HBP go kpai you after the first year of causing trouble 😁

Phahahahahaha
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2023
nobilie:

I love this food by Awgu(Ugbo) people.

I'm noticing many people are commenting on this Achicha soup

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by socialjustice93: 1:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
descarado:

There are diff ways to make abacha.
I prefer the way my folks make abacha than the popular one that is everywhere.

It's called abacha anambra. U use ncha made with ogiri as your base. We don't use stockfish rather dry meat or dry mangala fish. The ncha is made with loads of crayfish. That is the abacha we serve in laws anytime there is a gathering and believe me, not anybody know how to prepare such abacha. Yours truly can't. I only eat it whenever I go to the village. Oil used is always fresh oil.
Serve with palmwine. If you eat this with igwurube, you will be in heaven grin kiss

Nothing like abacha Anambra. The two methods of preparing abacha in Igbo land is either by making ncha sauce or fried sauce and mix. Most of the women you see hawking abacha around especially here in Lagos sells abacha ncha and they're mostly from Enugu and Ebonyi so which one is abacha Anambra mtchwww.. abacha is abacha biko

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by socialjustice93: 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
I’ve eat it before now. Igbo type of moi moi only contains some ingredients in it unlike Yoruba type of moi moi that contains grinding cooked beans with palm oil and other ingredients added to it

Oga nothing like Igbo type of moi moi haba! There's moi moi that everyone knows which is made from beans and there's okpa which is an Igbo delicacy and it's not made from beans and there mode of preparation is also not the same.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Rahkman: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
I’ve eat it before now. Igbo type of moi moi only contains some ingredients in it unlike Yoruba type of moi moi that contains grinding cooked beans with palm oil and other ingredients added to it
oga .......okpa is okpa and moi moi is moi moi.........they are not the same thing no dey yarn okpata here

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by SammyJac(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Do you know what this is ?
Wow! This reminds me of my undergraduate days at UNN. Okpa Nsukka remains the best.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by zoer(m): 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

Okpa no get enemy

Why that fanta colour dey like person piss wey get malaria 🦟?
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
zoer:

Why that fanta colour dey like person piss wey get malaria 🦟?

Aha aha naa
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by descarado: 2:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
Blake755:

What do the use to produce the ogiri

This is what is used to make the authentic ogiri igbo but because its very scarce and expensive, what we usually have now is made with egwusi

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by descarado: 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
saintfieldcastro:

This is an Igbo affair.
What are you doing here?
Shut the fk up.
Ewu.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2023
Rahkman:
oga .......okpa is okpa and moi moi is moi moi.........they are not the same thing no dey yarn okpata here
I don hear you ok. The op don affirmed on what I said before. It may be a little different cos’ of the ingredients and spices they are adding to it but it’s still the same beans that was grinded and also well cooked to formed that way.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2023
socialjustice93:

Oga nothing like Igbo type of moi moi haba! There's moi moi that everyone knows which is made from beans and there's okpa which is an Igbo delicacy and it's not made from beans and there mode of preparation is also not the same.
can lists what is been used in making Okpa?
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by blaquebelle: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Every tried this ?
Please what's the name of this thing. I've eaten inside vegetable soup that was served to me before and I loved it. Will like to buy it
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Uyomiya: 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
blaquebelle:

Please what's the name of this thing. I've eaten inside vegetable soup that was served to me before and I loved it. Will like to buy it

That is the famous Ugba

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by IDENNAA(m): 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
saintfieldcastro:
Mbaise, Mbano and Mbieri people of Imos state have the crown for preparing all varieties of soup both indigenous and foreign. From Afang, Onugbu, Nsala, Ofe Owerri etc. One love to Igbo nation.
Igbo Amaka!

You cant cook better than an Anambra woman. We own Nsala, Ofe akwu , Ofe Ora, Onugbu, Nkwobi, Isiewu etc. Anambra has the best good. I guess that's why we are the tallest people in southern Nigeria
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2023
IDENNAA:

You cant cook better than an Anambra woman. We own Nsala, Ofe akwu , Ofe Ora, Onugbu, Nkwobi, Isiewu etc. Anambra has the best good. I guess that's why we are the tallest people in southern Nigeria

Height has nothing to do with anything (it even predisposes to cardiovascular issues) and I’m a solid 5”10, so y’know. Not a giant but very far from short.

Isi ewu was first discovered in Abia state (in the 1300s) as far as I know. Other than the fact that Anambra people (I’m from Anambra, by the way) are more likely to add ogiri to nkwobi and isi-ewu, there ain’t no difference between how Anambrians and other Igbos do the whole ngwo-ngwo thing.

And Anambra men who know how to cook aren’t too shabby in the kitchen either. It’s not just women who cook well.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
SpartaOfLagos:
The chopped leaf is not ewedu and cannot be pounded with a dirty broom

Certainly not, to be fair. Ewedu is trash that only looks good to some people because it’s marketed as the bees-knees with amala/abula. In the whole of Yorubaland, only Osun, Ondo and Ekiti have soups that are even worth mentioning. The rest is utter nonsense and they know that deep down. They might never admit it but next to better egusi and akpu, nni oka and ogbono and ofe nsala, ewedu is nothing. I don’t know why Yoruba people outside a certain three states say they have soup.
Love our SW bredren but every ethnic group has its own strengths. Soup is generally not such a strength for the typical Yoruba person.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by socialjustice93: 5:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
can lists what is been used in making Okpa?

Oga are you Igbo? Rest na haba!
Do they use uziza seed in making moi moi? Guy rest..
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by leroi01(m): 5:42pm On Aug 26, 2023
Great thread.

To every reader: Try to refrain from insulting other people's tribe and cuisine (food).

You gain nothing by it, except to look small minded , and shame your lineage.

It is best to appreciate, ask how it is made, snoop around for a fine "tribal lady" (around you) that can make the meal , and then enjoy.

Yoruba , Hausa , Igbo, Esan, Tiv, Kanuri , Urhobo. Etc. It doesn't effing matter.

Pick what you can enjoy and move on.

There's too much hate in the world as it is.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by TYCO77: 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Uyomiya:
You probably are just used to rice ,beans ,yam potatoes.

Many food might look yuk or wow to you.

But that is why it's good to explore.

Let me show you.

Feel free to point the ones you love or the ones that bring back memories.

Follow me let's go

Ede na mmanu (cocoyam)

Yummy! Mostly with fresh oil straight from oil palm mill.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by TYCO77: 5:46pm On Aug 26, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Uyomiya:
Have you tasted this ?

Isi ewu! Make i no find the eyes and tongue ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

WOW! Cheap Assorted meat, Goat Meat & Beef it doesn't get cheaper than this. / What Is The Craziest Food Combination You Have Ever Tried? / Any Good Restaurants In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.