Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before (4869 Views)

What The Igbos Eat You Don't Know Existed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by TYCO77: 5:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Do you know what this is ?
[color=#000099][/color]

You no go kill person. This is ukasi and achara soup garnished with melon cake, beef, stockfish and other mendemende grin grin grin. The real deal!
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 5:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
it’s called moi moi in Yoruba language. It’s called bean cake in English language

That’s absolute nonsense. Moi-moi (which Igbos also eat but are more likely to call mai-mai or more rarely elele) is completely different from okpa.

2 Likes

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 6:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:
Oha soup is considered to be one of the best representatives of food in the Igbo culture. Many Nigerians believe that this soup was created by their tribe, but the origins of this soup are still connected with Igbo. The Oha soup is mainly served with Fufu, the soup contains many meat and fishes to make look richer, its a must eat to say.

“Oha, onugbu and better egusi. They will cook it and know Igbo people.”

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by TYCO77: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
9jahotblog:
I don hear you ok. The op don affirmed on what I said before. It may be a little different cos’ of the ingredients and spices they are adding to it but it’s still the same beans that was grinded and also well cooked to formed that way.

Okpa cereal is different from moi moi cereal.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
it’s still beans and some other ingredients that was used to prepared it. It can be eat with pap .

Yeah but moi-moi/mai-mai’s completely different and is very commonly eaten among the Igbo. I’m actually going to get annoyed if anyone else calls okpa the Igbo/042 version of moi-moi. Even people in the deepest interior of Nkanu and Enugu-Ezike eat mai-mai (in all its shades), whether they do okpa as well or not. They’re not interchangeable in the littlest bit besides the fact that they’re both steamed and best wrapped in leaves.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 6:08pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
in Yoruba type of bean cake, the chef used pure grinded beans in preparing it unlike the Igbo chef 👩‍🍳 own. It’s still bean cake

Listen, moi-moi (which Igbos and Yorubas kind of share, whoever gets it originally) is moi-moi and okpa is okpa. Two different dishes. Get that into your thick, silly head.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by RichTyler: 6:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
descarado:

You see your life cheesy cheesy

They smell bad but put them in a dish, lovely kiss
Except usa and European countries, I have researched, all countries of the world have one stinky fermented something they use to make their signature traditional cuisines.

Those things saved us from covid 19.
Sauerkraut, yoghurt,pickles,kombucha are all fermented foods eaten by Americans and Europeans. So it is a worldwide thing.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 6:25pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

He made a fair point about trying to compete the cooking between states tho.

But also it's true about Anambra women and soups.

They are super blessed, unless the new genz Anambra women.

Older Anambra women are not good in cooking rice and noodles.

Omg especially jellof rice .

But soup they are perfect.

The rice/jollof rice thing depends. Anambra Igbo women in the diaspora (the U.K., America, etc.) cook excellent jollof rice, much better than how it is back in Nigeria. Older women from Awka are also very capable of cooking good jollof rice, wherever in the world they are (ditto for Onitsha to some extent). If you’re talking about Orumba North or Ihilia OAPs who have never left the village, fair enough, and in that respect Yoruba women of the same age do it much better, because party rice is more imprinted in their culture and passed onto younger ones from them. You might have a point there. But just know that there’s a difference between interior Anambra and international Anambra/Awka-Anambra when it comes to rice. Even abroad/international/Awka mai-mai is much better than how it is in most Anambra villages and again that’s a fundamental difference between Igbos and Yorubas. Old, locally insular Anambra women from anywhere are more likely to know how to cook moi-moi well than jollof rice but in those cases it’s still the somewhat younger ones (let’s just say under-65s at this point) who cook them for ceremonies and occasions. No 79-year-old iya-olopo equivalent, not in Nigeria/Anambra itself besides one or two outliers. Young local Anambra Igbos tend to cook much better jollof rice than the oldies whereas for Yoruba people it tends to be the opposite.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

Listen, moi-moi (which Igbos and Yorubas kind of share, whoever gets it originally) is moi-moi and okpa is okpa. Two different dishes. Get that into your thick, silly head.
lol Na language makes them to be different but the same contents now
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

Yeah but moi-moi/mai-mai’s completely different and is very commonly eaten among the Igbo. I’m actually going to get annoyed if anyone else calls okpa the Igbo/042 version of moi-moi. Even people in the deepest interior of Nkanu and Enugu-Ezike eat mai-mai (in all its shades), whether they do okpa as well or not. They’re not interchangeable in the littlest bit besides the fact that they’re both steamed and best wrapped in leaves.
ok oooo. I love your own response here . You are on point
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
TYCO77:
[color=#000099][/color]

Okpa cereal is different from moi moi cereal.
ok oooo. What’s the name of the cereal?
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

That’s absolute nonsense. Moi-moi (which Igbos also eat but are more likely to call mai-mai or more rarely elele) is completely different from okpa.
tell me the difference here. Let’s see the contents they used in preparing okpa
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 7:46pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
tell me the difference here. Let’s see the contents they used in preparing okpa

Moi-moi is steamed beans pudding. Okpa is steamed Bambara pudding. Okpa’s wrapped with banana leaves, whereas with moi-moi you have a choice of uma/elewe leaves, aluminium, et-cetera (people can improvise both with whatever wrapping agents they have at-hand). Some people use leaves (utazi, mostly) to add inside okpa but it’s generally not recommended to add lots of different ingredients besides salt, palm oil and maybe a bit of Maggi (Maggi/Knorr/whatever). No crayfish, no eggs (I hate boiled eggs myself but a lot of people like to add them to moi-moi and that puts me off it a bit, even if the moi-moi itself is still good/tasty enough to eat around), no nutmeg (certainly not nutmeg), no meat, no x-amount of lives in protein. No groundnut or vegetable oil.

Moi-moi is a general Nigerian food that Igbos and Yorubas especially seem to enjoy preparing but okpa’s specific to Igbos and not just any Igbos. Enugu/Wawa (including Awka) ones only. At least traditionally. And variants of moi-moi can be made with plantain (ukpo-ogede) or corn (let’s just call it ukpo-oka), whereas this definitely isn’t the case with okpa. Edikang-ikong and afang soup, likewise, might look almost the same but they’re not. Urhobo and Edo might sound fairly similar but they’re different languages.

Two different foods that aren’t trying to be anything like each-other. What part of all this exactly are you finding so hard to understand?

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

Moi-moi is steamed beans pudding. Okpa is steamed Bambara pudding. Okpa’s wrapped with banana leaves, whereas with moi-moi you have a choice of uma/elewe leaves, aluminium, et-cetera (people can improvise both with whatever wrapping agents they have at-hand). Some people use leaves (utazi, mostly) to add inside okpa but it’s generally not recommended to add lots of different ingredients besides salt, palm oil and maybe a bit of Maggi (Maggi/Knorr/whatever). No crayfish, no eggs, no nutmeg (certainly not nutmeg), no meat, no x-amount of lives in protein. No groundnut or vegetable oil.

Moi-moi is a general Nigerian food that Igbos and Yorubas especially seem to enjoy preparing but okpa’s specific to Igbos and not just any Igbos. Enugu/Wawa (including Awka) ones only. At least traditionally. And variants of moi-moi can be made with plantain (ukpo-ogede) or corn (let’s just call it ukpo-oka), whereas this definitely isn’t the case with okpa. Edikang-ikong and afang soup, likewise, might look almost the same but they’re not.

Two different foods that aren’t trying to be anything like each-other. What part of all this exactly are you finding so hard to understand?
toor😉, I will make more of my findings on this reply.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 7:53pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
lol Na language makes them to be different but the same contents now

No, they ain’t anything like the same. Moi-moi in Igbo is either called just that or mai-mai/elele. Okpa’s another type of food altogether. It’s kind of similar conceptually but it’s not interchangeable with moi-moi and, again, it’s not even all or the vast majority of Igbos who cook and eat it (it’s certainly not a staple anywhere in Imo or Abia State or even most of Anambra). Awka eats it more-or-less indigenously (where it’s often called igba; okpa in Awka also means peanuts/groundnuts) by chance because it has a certain affinity to certain clans in Enugu State and some foods (fio-fio/vbio-vbio, akidi, igba/okpa di oku) but that’s it. Okpa’s still different from moi-moi.

Igbos get moi-moi and Wawa-lite Igbos get mai-mai/moi-moi and okpa. I don’t know what else to tell you but just know that they are not, not, not the same thing.

1 Like

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 7:54pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
toor😉, I will make more of my findings on this reply.

At this point I feel like you’re just trolling. And listen, if that’s how you get your jollies, crack open a bottle of gin and enjoy yourself. But don’t feign foolery.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

At this point I feel like you’re just trolling. And listen, if that’s how you get your jollies, crack open a bottle of gin and enjoy yourself. But don’t feign foolery.
you are convincing more with your comments cos’ I’ve not heard of Bambara pudding before? Both moi moi and okpa is been wrapped with plantain leaves 🍃
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 8:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
you are convincing more with your comments cos’ I’ve not heard of Bambara pudding before? Both moi moi and okpa is been wrapped with plantain leaves 🍃

I’m likening it to a rough English translation for your understanding but you’re still taking the piss. Moi-moi is made with beans/black-eyed beans and okpa/igba-Wawa is made with Bambara nut and that’s the end of it. They are not the same food. Fact. End. Next time stick to your familiar Yoruba lane if it’s all you know.

And for the record I actually much prefer moi-moi to okpa (although I like both).
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

I’m likening it to a rough English translation for your understanding but you’re still taking the piss. Moi-moi is made with beans/black-eyed beans and okpa/igba-Wawa is made with Bambara nut and that’s the end of it. They are not the same food. Fact. End. Next time stick to your familiar Yoruba lane if it’s all you know.

And for the record I actually much prefer moi-moi to okpa (although I like both).
it’s Bambara beans and not nut 🌰. Correct yourself here

Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 8:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
it’s Bambara beans and not nut 🌰. Correct yourself here

Okay, Bambara nuts can be classed as a variant of bean (just like chickpeas can) in some distant plane. Clap for yourself.

Still doesn’t mean that okpa and mai-mai are the same.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 007kjb: 8:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Uyomiya:

I think it's fermented egusi

Nope is fermented ugu seed for ogiri
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

Okay, Bambara nuts can be classed as a variant of bean (just like chickpeas can) in some distant plane. Clap for yourself.

Still doesn’t mean that okpa and mai-mai are the same.
they are not the same in your context here but the same contents used in preparing them are from the beans family
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 8:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
007kjb:

Nope is fermented ugu seed for ogiri

Could be ugu, could be egusi, could be ukpaka (castor/oil-bean whatever). Any of those can be used to do ogiri.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 8:16pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
they are not the same in your context here but the same contents used in preparing them are from the beans family

I give up. I need back-up to keep dealing with you. On my own I can’t be arsed no-more.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 8:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

I give up. I need back-up to keep dealing with you. On my own I can’t be arsed no-more.
😂 funny naira lander. I don understand you bro.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by Probz(m): 8:18pm On Aug 26, 2023
9jahotblog:
😂 funny naira lander. I don understand you bro.

You do or you don’t?
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
Probz:

You do or you don’t?
I do 😂 funny naira lander
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by shantti(m): 11:02am On Aug 27, 2023
9jahotblog:
it’s called moi moi in Yoruba language. It’s called bean cake in English language

Moi moi is different from okpa
Okpa is not made from beans
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by shantti(m): 11:10am On Aug 27, 2023
Uyomiya:
Achicha is one of the local food prepared by Enugu people, Achicha which is made of dry cocoyam can be prepared with fresh akidi, or fio fio, achicha can also be prepared alone with just scent leaf. Achicha is loved by both people of Enugu state and visitor’s and mostly prepared by the people of Awgu, Nsukka and Ezeagu of Enugu state.

And Udi people
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by 9jahotblog: 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2023
shantti:

Moi moi is different from okpa
Okpa is not made from beans
ok oooo
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by TYCO77: 11:41am On Aug 28, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
9jahotblog:
ok oooo. What’s the name of the cereal?

It is called bambara nut.
Re: What Igbos Eat You Have Not Seen Before by dealerman(m): 9:54pm On Sep 16, 2023
ANY AVAILABLE KITCHEN, RESTAURANT, STAFF CANTEEN SPACE FOR LEASE?

A professional Chef is looking for a (Restaurant, Kitchen, or Staff Canteen) space not 100% utilized, to be given out on lease etc. On the condition that she makes a certain percentage of payment to the owners. Or in any case, depending on the condition of the place and the laid down terms and conditions, an agreement can be reached.

She is willing to provide all her cooking ingredients on a daily basis.

If such a space is available. Please contact this number: SMS only 09098845736.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A List Of All The Beers In Nigeria 18+ Only / ~ Mad About Crisps ? Tell Us Your Favourite Flavours :))~ / How To Make Coconut Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.