Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,858 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies (56406 Views)

Femi Kuti, Alek Wek And John Dumelo To Open 'the Sandra Appiah Show' On Sunday / Femi Kuti With Supermodel Alek Wek And Other Stars On The Gold Carpet In America / Alek Wek & Abiola Abrams Hit The Sand! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 1:45am On Oct 16, 2011
brayan:

Well these are my thoughts, i believe she is not a face model but rather one that models clothes so if she fits perfectly in clothes made by designers then her facial beauty shouldnt be anything to argue about, anyway whether you think shez ugly or not da lady seems to be making the cash, her own don better

COSIGN 100%
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 1:47am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

WONKY TEETH

Ileki Idi, lol
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Mobinga: 1:50am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

She's ugly, no offense.

Her unique ugliness made her this far, and that her cousin abi na sister, ugly x10.

LMFAO!!

grin grin grin

So if ANYBODY on Nairaland is mocking someone's beauty. Even Ileke-Idi would join in??

LMFAO. Jesus Christ. How is that even possible? You call her "wonky teeth" and say "Oluchi looks like the bottom of my feet"??

My God. "This is a sad case of pot calling kettle black"

I don't understand.

PS : I just set up my blog. I still remember our deal.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Mobinga: 1:52am On Oct 16, 2011
Oh PS. That girl "Alek Wek" is a billion times more appealing than Ileke Idi.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Kambinachi(f): 1:52am On Oct 16, 2011
alek wek is a model.

what people don't realise is that model's aren't meant to be pretty.

they are meant to have striking features and bone structure which can be worked with artistically.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 2:13am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

Ileki Idi, lol

LOL I cant stand ppl with those kinda teeth. A year of braces should do.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Mobinga: 2:33am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ignoring me?? LMFAO. You saw that.

grin

You should really look into your mirror before you question another person's beauty. Jesus. You of ALL people?

Glad I know what you look like. grin
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 3:35am On Oct 16, 2011
@chipmonkey,

she is not a pageant beauty queen (miss world, miss universe,miss ajegunle etc).
she is a fashion model (givenchy, chanel, dior,versace etc) .
there is a difference between the two.  the former is a competition and the latter is a career.

the difference is that pageant beauty is a conventional beauty. a pretty face.
a fashion model on the other hand has a unique beauty ie a  striking face  that stands out from the crowd. I put emphasis on a "striking face" because some people think facial beauty doesn't matter for fashion models. It does. there has to be something very unique and memorable about your face if you want to last in the high fashion modeling industry. a tall, thin body isn't enough. you have to stand out (in the magazine, on the runway etc).
Alek Wek certainly has that unconventional, exotic beauty to her face that is characteristic of most successful fashion models.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 3:43am On Oct 16, 2011
I guess everybody's idea of beauty is different.

I just dont like seeing her picture anytime I go to JcP.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 3:48am On Oct 16, 2011
I guessed as much. the kind of people who shop at JcP aren't the type to appreciate that kind of artistic beauty.
She needs to stick to Chanel, Versace and other high end fashion houses where she can be appreciated.

but she's probably modelling whoever gives her the most money. but why not Macys instead of JcP? maybe her career is dwindling? she's getting old?
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 3:51am On Oct 16, 2011
i think macys switches its models periodically.

alek is one of the few ones who have instant face recognition. Majority of the others simply dont register.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 3:51am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

I guessed as much. the kind of people who shop at JcP aren't the type to appreciate that kind of artistic beauty.
She needs to stick to Chanel, Versace and other high end fashion houses where she can be appreciated.

but she's probably modelling whoever gives her the most money. but why not Macys instead of JcP? maybe her career is dwindling? she's getting old?

Well, ouch, I'm going to sidestep that insult. Not all of us are cut out for Chanel, Versace and other high fashion houses.
Even though we have no stats to support or rebut your survey of the white shoppers who "appreciate" or "depreciate" her "artistic" beauty.

"Artistic" beauty. Yea, that's what it is.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 3:51am On Oct 16, 2011
She is incredibly and unambigiously ugly.

Everytime I see her being promoted as a "Supermodel", I really feel disgusted and see it as a serious slight on Africans and black women. May God punish the bloody gays that promoted such rubbish like if their faggotism is not yet enough of a curse.

I am not the type to say someone that has not offended me is ugly because I think such is mean and unwarranted, but I will make an exception with this just to make a case for, and contribute to, social good.

When I see girls defending her look and saying she is not ugly is when I realised how gullible and brainwashable humans are.

FACT: The woman is ugly, she does not look pretty, her features does not portray anything positive (in terms of aesthetics or Africanism), she would be unattractive to majority of sane and real men. Anyone saying otherwise is a foool. That is not dogmatic, an insult or a disrespect, it is just plain facts.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 3:54am On Oct 16, 2011
^^just stop it plz.

you're insulting african women in a very nasty way, and this is uncalled for.

i dont know if you people think you're smarter than the whites who accept people as they are without all this drama.

alek wek is a supermodel- end of.

if you dont like her, then face tyra banks or any other model you consider a beauty.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 3:56am On Oct 16, 2011
To all,

Note: I have not read any entry on the thread. I just saw the title on the front page and I exploded and posted my first entry without seeing other's opinion because it is something that has annoyed me for a long time. If my first post somehow directly/indirectly insults anybody because of their opinion (which, remember, I have not seen yet), then tough.

I am going to read entries now.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 3:58am On Oct 16, 2011
tpia@:

^^just stop it plz.

you're insulting african women in a very nasty way, and this is uncalled for.

i dont know if you people think you're smarter than the whites who accept people as they are without all this drama.

alek wek is a supermodel- end of.

if you dont like her, then face tyra banks or any other model you consider a beauty.

How am I insulting African women?
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 16, 2011
Alek Wek is not the typical African, it's ignorance that makes Non-Africans believe that all Africans share her feature. She is not the typical African. I've yet to meet any African that looks like her. Saying she's ugly is not insulting Africans. She's simply ugly.

I've seen better African models.

The western world just use her as the typical African model, which I believe is the real insult. She has grace, intellect, body and all those mushy stuff. Just not beauty.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:03am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I understand I don't like gaps on teeth in general on anybody though
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

I understand I don't like gaps on teeth in general on anybody though

Not just that. The shape of each tooth. Her teeth is not align sef. They are all just going in their different [b]mis[/b]direction.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 4:04am On Oct 16, 2011
OgaMadam:

In the modelling world  -  I am talking about High Fashion and not Girl-Next-Door beauty

The idealised figure for designers is tall and lean - only because clothes drape or fall well on such figures

or "walking clothes hangers"

At 5.11 she carries off gowns in such a way that Geneviev could never try as she might.

Strolling down the catwalk is a walk in the park for her type.

This grace, and yes, this beauty - is what makes Alek Wek a millionaire.

(I know cause i was a model too  wink)

I have always said, and will keep on saying, it is a gaddamn moronic and steeeeeeeeewpid world.

Women that allow such a world to unduly influence them need to get their heads checked. That is why I hate women that look like skeletons like a craw craw on my yansh. I hate girls that try to attain, or attain, the unhealthy size zero.

Grace and elegance my BLACK ARSE!
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:05am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

Everytime I see her being promoted as a "Supermodel", I really feel disgusted and see it as a serious slight on Africans and black women.

Speak for yourself. I am an African woman and I feel proud every time I see her representing Africa.
In fact, I have found african high fashion models (oluchi, wek etc) to be more representative of Africa than beauty pageants who are usually selected based on how european they look (light skin, long hair etc). case in point Ghana's representative for miss universe. she doesn't even look like she is from Africa!!That is what I feel embarrassed about.
it's like we are ashamed of our women's looks or something.

The only thing is that they are too skinny. but then it's high fashion. otherwise, I love it.

Ileke-IdI:

Well, ouch, I'm going to sidestep that insult. Not all of us are cut out for Chanel, Versace and other high fashion houses.
Even though we have no stats to support or rebut your survey of the white shoppers who "appreciate" or "depreciate" her "artistic" beauty.

"Artistic" beauty. Yea, that's what it is.

exactly. I bet you would find clothing from Chanel and Versace to be hideous as well.
Most whites appreciate authentic African beauty. For example, I'm sure you now have natural hair. Soon you will start to realize that white people appreciate your natural hair more than black people.
this is a sad fact that you will come to realize.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 4:07am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

Speak for yourself. I am an African woman and I feel proud every time I see her representing Africa.
In fact, I have found african high fashion models (oluchi, wek etc) to be more representative of Africa than beauty pageants who are usually selected based on how european they look (light skin, long hair etc). case in point Ghana's representative for miss universe. That is what I feel embarrassed about.
it's like we are ashamed of our African looks or something.

The only thing is that they are too skinny. but then it's high fashion. otherwise, I love it.

exactly. I bet you would find clothing from Chanel and Versace to be hideous as well.
Most whites appreciate authentic African beauty. For example, I'm sure you are natural. Soon you will start to realize that white people appreciate your natural hair more than black people.

Yea, too bad that me and the whites do not always have same taste. Just because she has those features does not make her beautiful. Appreciating those features does not mean they think she's beautiful either.

I guess the model world is not about beauty, just a collection of uniqueness.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:09am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Alek Wek is not the typical African, it's ignorance that makes Non-Africans believe that all Africans share her feature.  She is not the typical African. I've yet to meet any African that looks like her. Saying she's ugly is not insulting Africans. She's simply ugly.

I've seen better African models.

The western world just use her as the typical African model, which I believe is the real insult. She has grace, intellect, body and all those mushy stuff. Just not beauty.

There is a point you brought up that I agree with, she is not the sole representation of african beauty but people like Liya Kebede is not the sole representation of african beauty either. What I don't like is they don't show other beauties of Africa like West, Southern, and central africa, if it's not a women form horn of Africa like Iman or Liya Kebede, they put Alek wek as a option and that's it; that's the issue I have seen that I don't  like
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 4:09am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

In fact, I have found african high fashion models (oluchi, wek etc) to be more representative of Africa than beauty pageants who are usually selected based on how european they look (light skin, long hair etc). case in point Ghana's representative for miss universe. That is what I feel embarrassed about.
it's like we are ashamed of our African looks or something.

Most whites appreciate authentic African beauty. For example, I'm sure you are natural. Soon you will start to realize that white people appreciate your natural hair more than black people.

Don't compare Oluchi to this.

This is ugly. Seriously ugly. Oluchi I can accept to an extent even though she is not my cup of tea per se but I can see some beauty.

This is an insult to black women. It is like taking the below average looking white woman and then saying she is the peak of the beauty.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:10am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Not just that. The shape of each tooth. Her teeth is not align sef. They are all just going in their different [b]mis[/b]direction.

understood
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:10am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, too bad that me and the whites do not always have same taste. Just because she has those features does not make her beautiful. Appreciating those features does not mean they think she's beautiful either.

I guess the model world is not about beauty, just a collection of uniqueness.

your definition of beauty is very one-dimensional.
like I said earlier, she is not a beauty queen. she is a fashion model. let's leave it at that.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 4:13am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

your definition of beauty is very one-dimensional.
like I said earlier, she is not a beauty queen. she is a fashion model. let's leave it at that.

As yours is not very 2 dimensional (abi how many dimension we get sef?)
I think we're both saying the same thing. Being a model does not mean you're beautiful. Which clearly answers the poster's curiosity.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:14am On Oct 16, 2011
any informed person would know better than to assume modelling is based on a person's good looks.

no, its not.

the fashion designers take your actual look and work to accentuate your features in a manner they deem will get their message across to an audience.

often, they bring out your features in unique and aesthetic ways.

but the main focus isnt on slamming your "beauty" on people- its letting them see the beauty in you.

undecided
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:14am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

This is ugly. Seriously ugly. Oluchi I can accept to an extent even though she is not my cup of tea per se but I can see some beauty.

This is an insult to black women. It is like taking the below average looking white woman and then saying she is the peak of the beauty.

to me, your comment is an insult to Sudanese women. because wek's look typifies sudan just as oluchi has a very nigerian look.
I've been fortunate see a few in real life and find them to be strikingly beautiful.

what you consider a beautiful white woman is not what most whites will consider beautiful. I've seen some of your posts with pictures of white women and they look like white trash to me. most whites won't find them attractive at all.

so beauty is relative and depends on your level of exposure too.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:15am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-16718.0.html
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:17am On Oct 16, 2011
your comment is an insult to Sudanese women.

his comment is an insult to black african women.

I've been fortunate see a few in real life and find them to be strikingly beautiful

i've also met a few and was struggling not to stare because it was really hard not to.

very difficult to describe them.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 4:21am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

I agree, I wanted to also say that as well in the modeling world(high fashion world) they like the slim, thin, tall females don't care much for the facial beauty(at least in the traditional modeling world, especially in Europe but In America she is considered ugly) and it makes sense because Kate moss is also the same weight, height and she isn't all pretty facially in the traditional sense either but they have a unique beauty though in a way, in a artistic sort of way

@OP
The modeling world especially in Europe which is the godfather or the head of the modeling world internationally, they look at beauty artistically not the standard view of beauty.

Really?

Na so?

You have really convinced yourself to believe such poo?

anonymous6:

People can complain about alek wek but her body and artistic image is what the European designers like about her; and almost all top designers in the world are hiring her for that in runway shows, and etc. As much as people may have their views about her beauty, she is going to be the one remembered in the future vs. the sea of blond white women models she is always among because Alek wek is a rarity and as a result is unique and people remember the unique then the common

Rarity?

She is a thousand a penny in South Sudan, Burundi, Hinterlands of south Ethiopia, Central Africa Republic and Senegal.

Jenifa_:

to me, your comment is an insult to Sudanese women. because wek's look typifies sudan just as oluchi has a very nigerian look.
I've been fortunate see a few in real life and find them to be strikingly beautiful.

what you consider a beautiful white woman is not what most whites will consider beautiful. I've seen some of your posts with pictures of white women and they look like white trash to me. most whites won't find them attractive at all.

so beauty is relative and depends on your level of exposure too.

Facts are never insults.

Yes, she might typify majority of black Sudanese women. Black Sudanese women are from South Sudan and the fact is majority of South Sudanese women are fugly.

South Sudan was the deprived area of Sudan, hence it is the place of poverty. Worse than even Northern Nigeria. Poverty affects most people's looks and features . . . . . . . . . . negatively. FACT!

Facts are not insults, they are just . . . . . . . . . . . . . .what?

FACTS!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Davido Takes A Ride In His N240 Million 2021 Rolls Royce Cullinan (video) / HKN Arstiste, Danagog Grabs Lady's Butt On Stage In Owerri (photo) / Davido Joins Beardgang - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.