Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? (13653 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / Govt And Private Firms Workers: How Are You Coping With High Transport Costs? / Petrol And Cash Scarcity: Office Workers, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2023
For those asking how do you get these type of mouthwatering remote jobs...It's quite easy.

Most of these remote jobs are posted in hundreds online...I even got one recently as a Copywriter in an American firm - $60/hr and to work 35 hours a week which translates to $2100 (N1.5m + a week)...I can send you my pre job interview from the firm on request.

If you want me to help you to apply, I can do that, as I have hundreds of companies ready to hire international remote workers.

But you'll pay me N10k.

Anyway Op, congrats for landing a dream job.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2023
OboOlora:
Inferiority complex!

Donโ€™t fake it, speak normally and clearly. Remember most of the Americans speak worse English than you.

Take charge, be in control and as long as you speak fluently and clearly with good diction and grammar, you will win.

LoL.. you think say this one na by the violent taketh it by force? ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ.

Guy man know wetin him don face come know say no be joking matter. You dey here dey say make he take am by force.

Funnily enough, you ended up screwing the whole thing by still telling him to speak with a good diction hes obviously struggling with in the first place.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
babajeje123:
He should speak slowly and clearly and ask them politely to do same. Things like
'Could you say that again please?' or
'Could you say that slowly again for me please?' will help.

LoL.. say what slowy? you're not getting the point. Ok for instance if I say " shalay" you now asked me to say it slowly and I say " sha - lay" will you still understand what I'm trying to say?
Oya, tell me what I'm trying to say. I'm waiting....
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by meum: 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
Kenmatt:

I got you however very well.

I wasn't actually saying it's you shaa.
Are you are like literally joking like right now. You want to like literally read my fake accent on dis(not this) platfoRm(emphasis on the R to show you my English is good).โœŒ๐Ÿพ
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
Procashtips:
Seems some people can't read nor comprehend

He's not talking about himself, rather about those he's to speak with.

He's afraid he won't understand their accents.

Those Texans

They're all getting it twisted.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ThatCEO: 12:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
pappilo:
Why would your friend quit a stable audit job where he/she earns $2100 net per month for a remote sales job where there is no job security?

This makes no sense to me.

I thought I am the only one who noticed this. I have a good feeling he is making a career suicide. Sales that anybody can replace you compared to audit n for much more money?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Skillsnigeria: 12:43pm On Sep 01, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by WIHELMINA(f): 12:44pm On Sep 01, 2023
I need a remote job...if you have any idea how I can go about it... please Holla me
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Ombudsman1: 12:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
KyleJason:
For those asking how do you get these type of mouthwatering remote jobs...It's quite easy.

Most of these remote jobs are posted in hundreds online...I even got one recently as a Copywriter in an American firm - $60/hr and to work 35 hours a week which translates to $2100 (N1.5m + a week)...I can send you my pre job interview from the firm on request.

If you want me to help you to apply, I can do that, as I have hundreds of companies ready to hire international remote workers.

But you'll pay me N10k.

WEREY. SEE EM LONG MOUTH

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Kobicove(m): 12:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
Unperturbedpota:
Well it's very easy to understand when you have been travelling. But trust me you will get used to it ?

First time I left Nigeria I struggled with understanding the Irish and Scottish accents and meaning because they don't use words like we do, but wit time e go easy for you

Even natural born English people find it difficult to understand the Irish and Scottish accent grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Babtunz: 12:52pm On Sep 01, 2023
I've made peace with my accent when conversing with English natives. As long as you can speak clearly and convey your ideas they don't care about your accent.

Just make sure you deliver whatever you are asked to do, and don't try to rush when speaking. Speed talking is something I'm also trying to overcome but with time I believe I'll get better.

Trying to faking an accent when conversing with these people don't usually end well.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Bebem(m): 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2023
It has not been very easy for me to get work in upwork. Does anyone have a suggestion or any other site I can leverage on. In skilled in customer service relationship. I also run Facebook ads.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Babtunz: 12:55pm On Sep 01, 2023
LydayBobo:
Speak slowly. Nigerians speaks correct Queen English. He would be fine. Have been there. If they can hear the Indians, they would hear you too. Best of luck ๐Ÿ‘

Exactly ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by InvertedHammer: 12:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?
/
You said "thick American accent". Americans say "thick Nigerian accent". A battle of the titans.

/
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by illicit(m): 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2023
BoldBrainz:

OP,
Don't listen to this guy. He's just trying to make a few bucks off another's challenges.

Tell your friend to promptly watch as many black American movies as he can. Mostly the ones with humour contents. And he should do so with a media application that provides subtitles for the movies. That shit helps faster than any tutelage he can have from anybody.

Owing to the few freelance jobs I've had to handle, I have entertained English conversations with native American accents, native British and even Irish laced accents. And being one who's always had a flair for movies, understanding them came with no difficulties. On my part, I simply speak my Nigerian English with calm and firm dictions and we're all fine.

You are funny and naive

How do people make bucks if there are no challenges?

Why do you get your hair cut
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Babtunz: 12:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Bebem:
It has not been very easy for me to get work in upwork. Does anyone have a suggestion or any other site I can leverage on. In skilled in customer service relationship. I also run Facebook ads.
You can check this thread and ask your Upwork-related questions there: https://www.nairaland.com/6413405/upwork-thread-questions-advice
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by pappilo(m): 1:10pm On Sep 01, 2023
ThatCEO:

I thought I am the only one who noticed this. I have a good feeling he is making a career suicide. Sales that anybody can replace you compared to audit n for much more money?

They may offer you $42,000 at the start but its only when you really start that you'll realise that the salary has some sales quota attached to it. Do you think this company will continue to pay you if you make no sales or dont meet the quota?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by mkoabiola: 1:11pm On Sep 01, 2023
How una take de get ds job biko..
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by RaptorX: 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2023
pappilo:
Why would your friend quit a stable audit job where he/she earns $2100 net per month for a remote sales job where there is no job security?

This makes no sense to me.
Nowhere in the write up did he said anything about his friend quitting his auditor job.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by osedumandre(m): 1:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
1 YEAR FREE HOSTING
1 YEAR FREE DOMAIN
24HRS, 365 DAYS SERVER UPTIME
FREE WEB CONTENT CREATION
1 MONTH FREE WEB MANAGEMENT

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ghettowriter(m): 1:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
Bahamas95:
He must not sound like them at first, he should speak slowly and they'll understand him. Nor be French he wan speak.

Presently am working with Indians, at first I struggled to understand their funny English and my new colleagues adviced me to listen attentively. We can now understand ourselves better unlike before........ At times I tease them by imitating their Indian accent and we laugh over it. grin

Which remote job are you into bro?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by easzypeaszy(m): 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
What happen to Chat
Moreover unless you are chronic Nollywood fan, I understood 90% of what dey say.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Omoawoke2(m): 1:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
OboOlora:
Inferiority complex!

Donโ€™t fake it, speak normally and clearly. Remember most of the Americans speak worse English than you.

Take charge, be in control and as long as you speak fluently and clearly with good diction and grammar, you will win.

Except u r a teenager that can twist tongue clearly, donโ€™t form the accent. U will end up sounding embarrassingly stupid.

This is another lie we tell ourselves in Nigeria. Americans donโ€™t speak worse English. Maybe the illiterate ones that speak ghetto English but that doesnโ€™t qualify native speakers.
Americans speak better English and their usage of word comes so natural that you can get lost in conversations
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by mercysamuelson(m): 1:28pm On Sep 01, 2023
author
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?

Let him speak so slow and always be straight to the point. We have more Mexicans and other Natives working in the States too and we all communicate with each other on our day to day activities. What I've learnt is that they respect the way we speaks our English and yes, they believes that we have the best English than they do. My co-workers, leads and managers here tells me that time without numbers, my wife says that too cos she knows that they don't speak complete English as we in West African does. So develop a courage in you to always say things as it is from your heart, don't try forming an accent you can't speak then you're good to go.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ecolime(m): 1:31pm On Sep 01, 2023
pocohantas:
He is just overthinking it which is normal.
I work remotely for a UK firm and my colleagues and bosses all have different accents. I have a Ukrainian colleague that can't even speak well but he delivers. To understand him, you have to add his short sentences like that of a 4yrs old child.

At first it was a struggle for me. They have this sense of humour that you need a lot of discernment to pick. So I would be confused if it is a question or a joke. Followed by an awkward silence and a more awkward laugh. With time I got better. I have meetings with many European clients and I speak slowly and listen very attentively. They know to take it slow. When I am confused, I say something like. "IF I GET YOU CLEARLY, YOU WANT ME TO DEDUCT XYZ FROM ABC?" Sometimes I ask them to type it. Or we go the extra miles (e.g) WORLD as in WORLDWIDE. J for JULIANNA. grin grin

Ask questions and they will answer. Their own is that you give RESULTS.

Colleagues at work I get. Those aren't much. About 40 in all and dispersed across different time zones.

Don't forget I said he will be dealing with customers as well.

C-level executives of corporates basically with diverse tongues cheesy
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ecolime(m): 1:33pm On Sep 01, 2023
mercysamuelson:
author

Let him speak so slow and always be straight to the point. We have more Mexicans and other Natives working in the States too and we all communicate with each other on our day to day activities. What I've learnt is that they respect the way we speaks our English and yes, they believes that we have the best English than they do. My co-workers, leads and managers here tells me that time without numbers, my wife says that too cos she knows that they don't speak complete English as we in West African does. So develop a courage in you to always say things as it is from your heart, don't try forming an accent you can't speak then you're good to go.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Amya(f): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
KyleJason:

But you'll pay me N10k.

You supposedly earn 6m a month but you're posting all over NL looking for 10K. I will seriously blame anyone that contacts you.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ecolime(m): 1:40pm On Sep 01, 2023
NSK4U:

So tell me, what's the nexus between having difficulty in foreign accent and the salary as well as the job being offered?

You must have forgotten about smarter readers, please be more smart when next you want to create a thread with hidden intent
You don't have to feel inferior. Just pray and God go do your own.

BTW, it's not for me. It is for a friend and he is reading all the comments as well.

I mentioned his current pay not to brag but, so people can advise him based on what he stands to lose while trying to get a job that he probably isn't 100% suited for.

Working is Audit is much different from Business Development where your communication skills has to be top notch especially when speaking with Native English speakers.

To ace interviews and case studies is one thing, to present/sell to Directors of various multinationals is another thing.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by sofiscatedmoron: 1:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?
Why tell us how much salary ur friend make, u for tell us ur own join,
Funny dude grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Originalsly: 1:43pm On Sep 01, 2023
If he aced the 4 stage interview then his employer is satisfied that he speaks clearly enough to communicate with Americans. Any concerns should be if he will be able to understand what some Americans are saying to him.... especially those with their deep Southern accents than even other Americans have problems understanding. It will take some time for him to get the hang of the various accents .... but more importantly he should speak clearly and correctly and not try to imitate "American accent" like sooo many do not knowing they're making a fool of themselves.He will be ok.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 01, 2023
Amya:

You supposedly earn 6m a month but you're posting all over NL looking for 10K. I will seriously blame anyone that contacts you.

That's why most times, Nigerians don't love themselves because they hoard information and not wanting others to succeed like them.

There's no love in the country.

The milestone is for serious and interested ones and not for someone like you who doesn't want others to succeed.

If you doubt me, I can send you my offer letter from the US company.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by alimiadedayo1: 1:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
Evestar200:
Mine doesn't require speaking with anyone. unless my boss wants to speak with us and we all speak different languages.

bro which work do u do remotely

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? / MTN Ad-hoc Staff,should I Continue Or Quit?? / Funke Adekoya Wins 2019 African Legal Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.