Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,882 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? (13652 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / Govt And Private Firms Workers: How Are You Coping With High Transport Costs? / Petrol And Cash Scarcity: Office Workers, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by AllenSpencer: 1:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
Itโ€™s as simple as ABC

Donโ€™t form what you not. Communicate in the best way that you have been used to too. They will have to adapt to you intonation.

In cases where you have to follow verbal communications, tell your colleague, boss or customer, to make communication formal, and that way, you will be better position to act since you good with reading.

Just be you, donโ€™t let anything change! I did it across 3 continents.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by randymirrors(f): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
pappilo:
Why would your friend quit a stable audit job where he/she earns $2100 net per month for a remote sales job where there is no job security?

This makes no sense to me.

Makes a lot of sense.
1. He's paid in dollars so depreciating naira no go affect am.
2. $3,500 is more than $2100. This one is pretty obvious.
3. He's a professional. When you're a professional, you can stop practicing for as long as you want and resume once you're ready. So even if he loses the remote job, he can always go back to 9-5 when he feels like.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by pocohantas(f): 1:52pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Colleagues at work I get. Those aren't much. About 40 in all and dispersed across different time zones.

Don't forget I said he will be dealing with customers as well.

C-level of corporates basically with diverse tongues cheesy

Same rule applies. My firm is a B2B and I spend more time interracting with business owners.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by BoldBrainz(m): 1:52pm On Sep 01, 2023
illicit:

You are funny and naive

How do people make bucks if there are no challenges?

Why do you get your hair cut

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

Bloody opportunist! So you can't render the slightest assistance without looking to turn a profit?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by YoshihideSuga: 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic

Nairalanders eh ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Amya(f): 2:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
KyleJason:

That's why most times, Nigerians don't love themselves because they hoard information and not wanting others to succeed like them.

There's no love in the country.

The milestone is for serious and interested ones and not for someone like you who doesn't want others to succeed.

If you doubt me, I can send you my offer letter from the US company.

Take your scamming ass out of here. 6m a month, yet you're creating threads up and down for 10k.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by babajeje123(m): 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

LoL.. say what slowy? you're not getting the point. Ok for instance if I say " shalay" you now asked me to say it slowly and I say " sha - lay" will you still understand what I'm trying to say?
Oya, tell me what I'm trying to say. I'm waiting....
Communication takes place when those involved understand each other. So I do understand whatever you're saying and I'd ask you to phonetically spell it.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by DyingFetus: 2:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
I troll my co workers with an Indian accent from a call center
They find it so fckn hilarious
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by illicit(m): 2:49pm On Sep 01, 2023
BoldBrainz:

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

Bloody opportunist! So you can't render the slightest assistance without looking to turn a profit?

I can't....
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2023
babajeje123:

Communication takes place when those involved understand each other. So I do understand whatever you're saying and I'd ask you to phonetically spell it.

I spelt it phonetically or let me say, I wrote it the way it is pronounced. Just give me the English word I'm trying to pronounce here.

Ok.. give me the English spelling of this word.. pronunced " yot".
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Maureen17: 3:20pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?
abeg how do I get this remote jobs? Am a conflict resolution expert
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Olawrites: 3:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Lol
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Godblessx: 4:21pm On Sep 01, 2023
Remembered my first time๐Ÿ˜‚.

No big deal there to be sincere.

Speak slowly and donโ€™t rush your words.

Also most times I gesticulate a lot when speaking.

Just a matter of time, you will get accustomed to everything

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by enemyofprogress: 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2023
I always go to work with a translator
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by illicit(m): 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
Evestar200:
Mine doesn't require speaking with anyone. unless my boss wants to speak with us and we all speak different languages.

kiss
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by babajeje123(m): 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I spelt it phonetically or let me say, I wrote it the way it is pronounced. Just give me the English word I'm trying to pronounce here.

Ok.. give me the English spelling of this word.. pronunced " yot".
You need to know what it means to spell phonetically for you to understand what I'm saying.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Chigozie321: 4:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
Godblessx:
Remembered my first time๐Ÿ˜‚.

No big deal there to be sincere.

Speak slowly and donโ€™t rush your words.

Also most times I gesticulate a lot when speaking.

Just a matter of time, you will get accustomed to everything
First time as a remote international worker or while working in-person abroad?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Chigozie321: 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic
See this man, people are getting remote jobs here in Nigeria. A relative of mine works with Clipboard health as a Financial Analyst. His netpay is $3,100 monthly.

Guess what? The guy has never travelled out of Nigeria. He doesn't even have an international passport.

Talented people are hitting it big oo... Just skill up, seek information, keep applying and pray make God pick your call.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 5:03pm On Sep 01, 2023
babajeje123:

You need to know what it means to spell phonetically for you to understand what I'm saying.

Well... I didn't understand what you meant by spelling phonetically which was why I used a simple term you can understand. By the way there's nothing like spelling phonetically. I think what you meant was transcribing the words with phonetic symbols also known as transcription.

Hope we're still on the same page though.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by komekn(m): 5:08pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?

Very simple may seem ludicrous but it's perfectly rational.

Spend a huge amount of time watching Hollywood and USA derived films, you will be able to key into the differing accents from West Coast to East Coast , North and South.

And if you can learn a bit of Spanish, l started speaking Spanish from Living in Miami.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by pappilo(m): 6:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
randymirrors:

Makes a lot of sense.
1. He's paid in dollars so depreciating naira no go affect am.
2. $3,500 is more than $2100. This one is pretty obvious.
3. He's a professional. When you're a professional, you can stop practicing for as long as you want and resume once you're ready. So even if he loses the remote job, he can always go back to 9-5 when he feels like.

$3500 gross. Wont he pay tax?

Even as a professional is it as easy as that to get a good job. There are probably a thousand professionals just like him waiting for each job like his.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by BRATISLAVA: 7:30pm On Sep 01, 2023
This is really a topic?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by babajeje123(m): 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Well... I didn't understand what you meant by spelling phonetically which was why I used a simple term you can understand. By the way there's nothing like spelling phonetically. I think what you meant was transcribing the words with phonetic symbols also known as transcription.

Hope we're still on the same page though.
Lol
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2023
Amya:

Take your scamming ass out of here. 6m a month, yet you're creating threads up and down for 10k.

There's no problem...I'm not training anyone anymore or help out in pushing people's CV to the companies through my contacts in the US.

I wanted people to have a soft landing based on things in Nigeria are biting a lotof hardworking pple money wise.

People should hustle on their own.

Cheers!
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
babajeje123:

Lol

E hook am tongue.
Abeg I dey vigil. Make I concentrate. grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Amya(f): 8:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
KyleJason:

There's no problem...I'm not training anyone anymore or help out in pushing people's CV to the companies through my contacts in the US.

I wanted people to have a soft landing based on things in Nigeria are biting a lotof hardworking pple money wise.

People should hustle on their own.

Cheers!

Help your friends and family first
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by extremelygolden: 8:19pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?

Let him form the habit of watching lots of American movies and documentaries. It'll help him a lot. Not only that, he should pay special attention on how they pronounce certain words. If I were him, I will go as far as recording their voices whenever they are acting.

Hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Ndaife: 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
Evestar200:
Mine doesn't require speaking with anyone. unless my boss wants to speak with us and we all speak different languages.

Please what skill can I learn to be able to get remote jobs
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Evestar200(f): 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ndaife:

Please what skill can I learn to be able to get remote jobs
Coding, Web Design, Programming, Software Development, Copywriting, etc.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Darkmode64: 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2023
This is a non-issue. Just turn on captioning. Reading and listening would make comprehension better.
He can always go back over the conversation's captioning history if he utilises software like Microsoft Teams. Listening to thick American accent can cause fatigue. Speaking from experience. embarassed
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Snakedoctor1: 10:03pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?

Inbound and outbound confusing. Is he working from Nigeria ?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Bahamas95(m): 10:08pm On Sep 01, 2023
ghettowriter:

Which remote job are you into bro?
My job isn't actually remote, it's an oil exploration company.

My comment was based on the challenges you might encounter working with foreigners..... One thing I have discovered is that you either try to speak like them or they speak like you before effective communication can take place.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? / MTN Ad-hoc Staff,should I Continue Or Quit?? / Funke Adekoya Wins 2019 African Legal Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.