Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months (15436 Views)

Adamawa BDC Operators Reject Dollars As Naira Rebounds At Parallel Market / Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar / Best And Worst Performing Banks Of 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Bobloco: 5:01am On Sep 01, 2023

•Lose almost 100%

•As Tunisian Dinar, Libyan Dinar, others emerge top strongest African currencies

Despite tough reforms taken by the Nigerian government to fix its financial situation, Naira has emerged as the worst performing African currency in three months and is even missing in the list of the top ten foreign currencies in the market.

This is coming after a global currency ranking report titled: Highest and strongest currencies in Africa by Clacified.com, revealed that Africa’s exclusion from the global currencies is a no-brainer given that it is home to the world’s ten most under-developed and developing countries. Nevertheless, several legal tenders on the continent commanded respect in the foreign currency market.

The report noted that dozens of African countries are higher than the Naira even though the Nigerian economy is Africa’s largest economy with the highest nominal GDP, an influencing factor in currency valuation. It further stated that the United States dollar (USD) remains the global benchmark when ranking currencies and placed the strongest currencies based on each country’s currency dollar strength or purchasing power.

Top on the list of currencies include; Tunisian Dinar, Libyan Dinar, Moroccan dirham, Ghanaian Cedi, Botswana Pula and Seychellois Rupee. Others include Eritrean Nakfa, South African Rand, Zambian Kwacha and Egyptian Pound with Nigeria conspicuously missing from the list.

It will be recalled that President Bola Tinubu had taken steps to revamp the economy by eliminating fuel subsidies in place since the 1970s and diverting money to increased investment in education, agriculture, and job creation. He also stated that there will be reforms carried out in monetary policies.

In June 2023, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) announced the unification of the FX windows. Ever since then, the Naira which was N432/$1 at the official CBN rate is currently at N762.71/$1 while at the parallel rate, it is standing at N920/$1.

Reacting to this development, economic experts who spoke to Daily Sun via a telephone chat, did not seem to agree with the report. They however advised the FG to accelerate more productivity in Nigeria as this will reduce the scarcity of FX. The Managing Director, APT Securities, Kurfi Garba, said, “I do not agree that we have the worst performing currency in the continent. There are others but I can understand that in the last 3 months the Naira has been dwindling, losing almost 100 per cent but extending that beyond three months, I do not think we are the worst even in West Africa. Right, the dollar is at N920/$1”.

Garba stated that there is currently scarcity of FX due to the country not meeting up to the demand of exports of crude oil due to vandalism. According to him, about 800,000 barrels of crude oil is stolen per day. He said, “We were selling 2 million barrels per day and getting a lot of money. However, at the moment, we have allowed criminals to keep stealing our oil products and now export 1.2 million barrels per day which means 800,000 barrels of oil is being stolen daily. If we can stop that and continue selling 2 million barrels, we will have more dollars and we will be able to meet our demands. But if we do not have that, we have to borrow”.

Giving further suggestions on how to tackle FX, Garba said that the government has to stop patronising foreign goods. “We have to accelerate more productivity in Nigeria, this will reduce the scarcity of FX a bit because when we keep patronising foreign goods, getting FX will keep getting difficult. We have so many mineral resources but we are not tapping into their potential enough. Why can’t we accelerate the production of these minerals so that it will fetch us more FX and therefore have this FX to satisfy our needs. These are steps or efforts the government has to take”, he said.
https://sunnewsonline.com/concerns-as-naira-emerges-worst-performing-african-currency-in-3-months/?amp

1 Like

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by hisexcellency34: 5:06am On Sep 01, 2023
Tinubu really disappointed me and many Nigerians who voted for him. This is not what we bargained for. At this point, I'm going for Obi if there is rerun

230 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by AllenSpencer: 5:16am On Sep 01, 2023
hisexcellency34:
Tinubu really disappointed me and many Nigerians who voted for him. This is not what we bargained for. At this point, I'm going for Obi if there is rerun

Are you a fan of Arsenal FC?

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Ibrahimcoomasie: 5:21am On Sep 01, 2023
Bobloco:

Reacting to this development, economic experts who spoke to Daily Sun via a telephone chat, did not seem to agree with the report. They however advised the FG to accelerate more productivity in Nigeria as this will reduce the scarcity of FX. The Managing Director, APT Securities, Kurfi Garba, said, “I do not agree that we have the worst performing currency in the continent. There are others but I can understand that in the last 3 months the Naira has been dwindling, losing almost 100 per cent but extending that beyond three months, I do not think we are the worst even in West Africa. Right, the dollar is at N920/$1”.

Garba stated that there is currently scarcity of FX due to the country not meeting up to the demand of exports of crude oil due to vandalism. According to him, about 800,000 barrels of crude oil is stolen per day. He said, “We were selling 2 million barrels per day and getting a lot of money. However, at the moment, we have allowed criminals to keep stealing our oil products and now export 1.2 million barrels per day which means 800,000 barrels of oil is being stolen daily. If we can stop that and continue selling 2 million barrels, we will have more dollars and we will be able to meet our demands. But if we do not have that, we have to borrow”.

Giving further suggestions on how to tackle FX, Garba said that the government has to stop patronising foreign goods. “We have to accelerate more productivity in Nigeria, this will reduce the scarcity of FX a bit because when we keep patronising foreign goods, getting FX will keep getting difficult. We have so many mineral resources but we are not tapping into their potential enough. Why can’t we accelerate the production of these minerals so that it will fetch us more FX and therefore have this FX to satisfy our needs. These are steps or efforts the government has to take”, he said.

https://sunnewsonline.com/concerns-as-naira-emerges-worst-performing-african-currency-in-3-months/?amp
Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by gaby(m): 5:23am On Sep 01, 2023
It is still holding out.

Let's hope it doesn't dip any further.

It will take a huge miracle for it not to hit the #1,500 mark in the next 6 months.

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by accordadoga26(f): 5:58am On Sep 01, 2023
Hmmm.

To all TRULY patriotic Nigerians, please don't lose hope. Nigeria will be great again

6 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by happney65: 6:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Akanbi omo olode ide.

The Man that made Lagos as they always used to deceive themselves in 3 months don dabaru Nigeria and will end up destroying it patapata.

Remember we told you he is worst than Buhari una think say we no know wetin we dey talk. But Hey,Nigga just wants to answer "President" just for the sake of it and nothing else

grin grin grin

210 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by crossfm: 6:12am On Sep 01, 2023
Hehehe.

I will continue to say it,the work this government is doing is so huge but eyes can't see it grin.

We all need to be patient with these politicians, because of the fear of calling us enemy of the state by their paid agents.

The naira must become useless for it's purchasing power to rise according to APC supporters.

All hands must be on lips to make sure we cover the mouth of the people who say the truth.

163 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by SmartPolician: 6:25am On Sep 01, 2023
You cannot be sane and still defend Tinubu at this point. For goodness' sake, you don't have to be an economist to know that why Naira was struggling to stay below 900 per USD was that the government was hedging it.

How can you float the naira in an import-dependent economy? Like how? Omo, APC wan totally destroy this country and have hired a bunch of tribal lunatics to always defend them online. This country has become scary.

199 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by enemybulldozer(m): 6:48am On Sep 01, 2023
Bobloco:

•Lose almost 100%

•As Tunisian Dinar, Libyan Dinar, others emerge top strongest African currencies

Despite tough reforms taken by the Nigerian government to fix its financial situation, Naira has emerged as the worst performing African currency in three months and is even missing in the list of the top ten foreign currencies in the market.

This is coming after a global currency ranking report titled: Highest and strongest currencies in Africa by Clacified.com, revealed that Africa’s exclusion from the global currencies is a no-brainer given that it is home to the world’s ten most under-developed and developing countries. Nevertheless, several legal tenders on the continent commanded respect in the foreign currency market.

The report noted that dozens of African countries are higher than the Naira even though the Nigerian economy is Africa’s largest economy with the highest nominal GDP, an influencing factor in currency valuation. It further stated that the United States dollar (USD) remains the global benchmark when ranking currencies and placed the strongest currencies based on each country’s currency dollar strength or purchasing power.

Top on the list of currencies include; Tunisian Dinar, Libyan Dinar, Moroccan dirham, Ghanaian Cedi, Botswana Pula and Seychellois Rupee. Others include Eritrean Nakfa, South African Rand, Zambian Kwacha and Egyptian Pound with Nigeria conspicuously missing from the list.

It will be recalled that President Bola Tinubu had taken steps to revamp the economy by eliminating fuel subsidies in place since the 1970s and diverting money to increased investment in education, agriculture, and job creation. He also stated that there will be reforms carried out in monetary policies.

In June 2023, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) announced the unification of the FX windows. Ever since then, the Naira which was N432/$1 at the official CBN rate is currently at N762.71/$1 while at the parallel rate, it is standing at N920/$1.

We the Igbos that are foresighted warned those ebola infected mofos but they refused. Instead of listening to our voice of reasoning, they allowed hate and tribalism to block their sense of reasoning.
Maize247, madridguy, helinues, AuschwitzPrefec, adekolaelect, Christistruth03, TimeMachine2, jeromestarks, yarimo and beerfraud hope you lots are enjoying now grin grin grin

103 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Unperturbedpota: 6:53am On Sep 01, 2023
Watch the Lagos propaganda machine and CBN come to start explaining upon explaining without evidence just fake stats.. Telling us how the foreign analysts dont know what they are saying , how they are biased and how Naira is greater than th dollar 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

139 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Westerhoffe(m): 6:54am On Sep 01, 2023
angry
When did you realize this?

1 Like

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by 7arrows: 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Bobloco:

•Lose almost 100%

With a confused government I see it getting worse

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Eagle360(m): 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Happy new month. May this naira favor me and my family.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by STEWpid(f): 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Chai..

I'm not surprised that a crowd of Ewu-Gambias are happy about this news.

Anything to bring down the nation is their paramount joy.

Modified:

Jobless and headless mobs are already quoting me.

They're already feeling guilty even when I did not mention any name or party.

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Akasammyoka: 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Worst right, Tinubu is the best thing to happen to Nigeria after winning the fairest election in human history. It go reach everyone last last

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by EleventhWeirdo: 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Naira is undergoing reforms and will come back stronger and most liberal. The tears of Pand0ra r0dents will help the foundation, of course

1 Like 8 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by BigBlackPreek(m): 6:55am On Sep 01, 2023
Oh Allah help us in this country oh

2 Likes

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Skillsnigeria: 6:56am On Sep 01, 2023
Hmmm, naira don suffer for this world grin

13 Likes

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by publicenemy(m): 6:56am On Sep 01, 2023
grin
Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Yankee101: 6:56am On Sep 01, 2023
Since Tinubu rigged himself into power

28 Likes

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Propsad1: 6:57am On Sep 01, 2023
Ok
Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by jojothaiv(m): 6:57am On Sep 01, 2023
Floating...

It's so unfortunate even in a changing world, the black man is not capable of leading itself, not to talk of leading others.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Anyiamaka: 6:57am On Sep 01, 2023
Can Nigerians now agree that a common herdsman with NEPA certificate is a billion times better than a city boy with a fake First Class certificate?

Some people think it is by snatch it and run with it grin grin grin. Mumu!

72 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Curious346: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
Sad..

Our p
Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by NotProphet: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
Bobloco:

•Lose almost 100%

we warned them that tinubu will be the worst ever
but tribalism and religion nor let them think

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by cjudy(m): 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
grin
You shouldn’t be concerned my dear. Thank the Ebola Lord

9 Likes

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by mycar: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
it's performing, according to the online miscreants

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Jlow2: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
Reforms cannot work when there re loopholes of monumental looting of national treasury , budget padding, diversion of borrowed funds, government of compensation

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Parachoko: 6:58am On Sep 01, 2023
Few Months ago, Cedis was ranked as one of the worst performing currency in Africa and The World, but today, is one of the best performing Currency.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by bergs2: 7:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Nothing concern me.

My own be say this poor performance of the naira will certainly favour me and my family.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concerns As Naira Emerges Worst Performing African Currency In 3 Months by Boyooosa(m): 7:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Indefinitely – CBN / Stop Using Easy Passwords For Your ATM Cards, Mobile banki. A Nairalander Warns. / 276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.