Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. (2622 Views)

The Origin Of Freemasonry Is North Africa Sex Worship And Human Sacrifice / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 4:55am On Sep 03, 2023
CONCLUSION.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 5:08am On Sep 03, 2023
STOP ADDING AND SUBTRACTING GOD'S WORDS. IT IS A GREAT SIN. STOP PROJECTING YOUR PERSONAL WANTS AND INTERPRETATIONS INTO GOD'S WORDS BECAUSE THE REPERCUSSIONS ARE GREAT AND GRAVE. DO NOT ADD OR SUBTRACT THE HOLY WORD.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:06am On Sep 03, 2023
Dantedasz:
Christians never cease to amaze and twist things written in their holy books. The Christian god pretends not to love human sacrifice but encourages it throughout the book. from Abraham and Isaac to Jephthah and his daughter to even his own begotten son Jesus Christ. Pastors in churches seldom or ever preach on the Jephthah conundrum because it puts their god in a bad light. Christians always avoid threads like this one because they have no answers to the questions raised on the morality of human sacrifice of an innocent girl on a bon fire to please a god. the brave Christians will come her and argue in an illogical manner that the girl was not sacrificed but consecrated as a virgin to god.

If yu had any sense of the Bible, you'll see that it was not human sacrifice but her being dedicated for the rest of her life to God with no prospect of marriage
God does not accept any human sacrifice
Stop feigning full ignorance when you know nothing
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:07am On Sep 03, 2023
Dantedasz:

The joke is on you and your fellow Christians.
This rubbish is in your religious book.
Your god supports and enables human sacrifice to hself. Examples abound in your book. Abraham and Isaac,Jephthah and his nameless daughter and above all the sacrifice of his only begotten son on a stake.
The jokes on you son.

Fullblown ignorance
Chai
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:09am On Sep 03, 2023
TheMadame:

While I agree with you that God forbids human sacrifice as per mosaic laws, Jephthah for reasons best known to himself apparently decided to go against all Mosaic laws and made a sacrifice of his daughter. it was a rash vow but only a person with comprehension problems would go ahead and say the girl was not sacrificed.

To sacrifice means to offer or set apart as a gift to God or a deity
Some sacrifices could be land, fields, animals, humans, etc... Only an ignorant person will reason that all living things sacrificed must be killed
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:12am On Sep 03, 2023
Dantedasz:

At the emboldened,
Is that how a moral God should act in your opinion?
A moral benevolent god?? If such an entity loves burnt human flesh so much why not sacrifice Jephthah himself instead of the innocent girl? Or better still give him a ram or goat🐐 to sacrifice??
Argue with your story book mate.

So many children claiming intelligence on nairaland
You can't provide one verse that shows he himself accepted human flesh
All the places where human sacrifices were done in the Bible, he condemned them
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:16am On Sep 03, 2023
Dantedasz:

At emboldened,
1. Your god being omniscient(if he really is omniscient) should have known he did not need to test Abraham.
2. Jephthah is now on his own no longer carrying out the sacrifice to please and worship his God?
3. Comparing a god son(Iesus Chrestus) to a movie character)di Caprio) is apt. The whole Bible comes across as a badly written comic book or movie script.

Just argue with your story book please.

1. But he tested Abraham shows he's not omniscient as he has the power to withhold himself from certain abilities such as power, foreknowledge too.

2. Same was what happened with Hannah and Samuel ... Sacrifices means something set apart to God... If someone wants to sacrifice by using money, will he burn it?

3. Our first father, Adam who was perfect corrupted himself and handed over to us imperfection and sin and death... What Jesus did was a willing Ransom to buy back the life Adam lost and help us to life forever... With your physical mind, it can't make sense to you... It is not money or animal sacrifice that can help us
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 7:34am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Some sacrifices could be land, fields, animals, humans, etc... Only an ignorant person will reason that all living things sacrificed must be killed

Prove!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:48am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Prove!

Tithes are also sacrifices if you'll agree with me
Burnt offerings and sin offerings were sacrificed wholly. We also have grain offering, communion offering, guilt offering, drink offerings, wave offerings, heave offerings.
Offerings and sacrifices are similar but not same
Offerings could be money
An Israelite could sacrifice himself to become a Nazarite for certain period or throughout his days

The tenth of flocks given to the levites who had no inheritance in Israel was so they too could have field amd crops and flocks to tend as they carry out their sacred duties but an Israeli due to distance if transporting his animals could still offer money

Samuel was given as a vow offering
Jephthah daughter as well but she was not killed as they Bible says she went to weep of her virginity, nit her death - her prospect of having her raising her own family
Besides, any man that of Israel that sacrifice a fellow human even if it were his own child, the way he sacrificed animal, such a man will receive a curse and not a blessing from God... Was Jephthah daughter killed, the answer is No.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 7:52am On Sep 03, 2023
TheMadame:
STOP ADDING AND SUBTRACTING GOD'S WORDS. IT IS A GREAT SIN. STOP PROJECTING YOUR PERSONAL WANTS AND INTERPRETATIONS INTO GOD'S WORDS BECAUSE THE REPERCUSSIONS ARE GREAT AND GRAVE. DO NOT ADD OR SUBTRACT THE HOLY WORD.

The only person adding is you
Any man who offered up a fellow man the way they do animals will receive a curse, not a blessing
Such sacrifices was condemned by God
You are the one disturbing yourself wit wrong conclusions

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 8:26am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Tithes are also sacrifices if you'll agree with me
Burnt offerings and sin offerings were sacrificed wholly. We also have grain offering, communion offering, guilt offering, drink offerings, wave offerings, heave offerings.
Offerings and sacrifices are similar but not same
Offerings could be money
An Israelite could sacrifice himself to become a Nazarite for certain period or throughout his days

The tenth of flocks given to the levites who had no inheritance in Israel was so they too could have field amd crops and flocks to tend as they carry out their sacred duties but an Israeli due to distance if transporting his animals could still offer money

Samuel was given as a vow offering
Jephthah daughter as well but she was not killed as they Bible says she went to weep of her virginity, nit her death - her prospect of having her raising her own family
Besides, any man that of Israel that sacrifice a fellow human even if it were his own child, the way he sacrificed animal, such a man will receive a curse and not a blessing from God... Was Jephthah daughter killed, the answer is No.

This is not proof of your case but a fallacy of extension. Tithes and offerings you mentioned are matters prescribed by Law, jephthah's act is not one of these.

However, you are still right because most sacrifices are to be undertaken by the Levite as provided by Law, so Jephthah has to deliver his daughter to them and cannot undertake the sacrifice himself. No Israelite can.

Therefore jephthah did not burn his daughter as we erroneously thought because of the word "for a burnt offering".

For The Law of burnt offering is very precise and it dictates that the offering must be of the cattle and flock. No human is ever used.

So jephthah just gave up his daughter to the service of The Lordd like Hannah gave up Samuel.

So Jephthah'sdaughter was never killed or burnt.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 8:40am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

This is not proof of your case but a fallacy of extension. Tithes and offerings you mentioned are matters prescribed by Law, jephthah's act is not one of these.

I was only mentioning the different kind of offering. A sacrifice is also an offering - a vow offering

However, you are still right because most sacrifices are to be undertaken by the Levite as provided by Law, so Jephthah has to deliver his daughter to them and cannot undertake the sacrifice himself. No Israelite can.

Therefore jephthah did not burn his daughter as we erroneously thought because of the word "for a burnt offering".

For The Law of burnt offering is very precise and it dictates that the offering must be of the cattle and flock. No human is ever used.

So jephthah just gave up his daughter to the service of The Lordd like Hannah gave up Samuel.

So Jephthah'sdaughter was never killed or burnt.

Exactly
Also, Jephthah likely had in mind that it was not an animal sacrifice as animals were not kept in Israelite homes neither can an animal come out to greet or meet his owner from war. Only servants and children do that
All the same, what he did was noble and he and his daughter, though unnamed are still remembered today but the majority misunderstood it to be him killing her

One day, during the pandemic when our public ministry was still suspended. I came up with the idea of preaching to my colleagues but they won't like anyone preaching to them. So i asked them to write any questions they have about God, the Bible, etc in my book I called AemmyJah survey book. It was a success though and one Redeemed girl asked why God did not stop Jephthah from killing his daughter since it was out of an appreciative motive...
It was a fun experience but other questions could be ridiculous... One asked 'If the serpent misled Eve, why did Moses rod become a serpent?' I answered though but it still baffles me why or what or how such question will help him
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 9:06am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

So why did they mourn her every year?
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:09am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

King James Version
Judges 11:38
And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

Don't bring your own confusion sir
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:11am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

King James Version
Judges 11:40
That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

King James Version
Judges 11:38
And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

Don't bring your own confusion sir
The verse didn't end in 38.

40 that the daughters of Israel went year by year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in the year.

Why were they mourning every year and it even became a custom?
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:14am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Exactly
Also, Jephthah likely had in mind that it was not an animal sacrifice as animals were not kept in Israelite homes neither can an animal come out to greet or meet his owner from war. Only servants and children do that
All the same, what he did was noble and he and his daughter, though unnamed are still remembered today but the majority misunderstood it to be him killing her...

That is why i hate follow-follow. People always throwing their shitty errors and lies and crooked understanding as though it is solid True before a person gets to even see things for himself.

I remember my first reaction was that this did not make any sense for God does not do an evil thing and can never ever support one. However the noise did not let me see things for myself until now. Thanks for the correction.

However, in return I respectfully urge you to get out of jw. They are evil and will destroy your soul. If you are fair and True as I have seen in you, you yourself can not deny that they are certainly not from God and Christ.

I know that their selling point and appeal is that they would take care of you financially, connectionally and everything you need like a good club. But that is what cults do whether eckanker or olumba olumba or atheism. But they are all one and the same evil using the power of cooperation to entrap your soul.

However, I respect your right to choose your associations and I do not say more than this for you know that which is good or evil, to choose therefrom!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

40 that the daughters of Israel went year by year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in the year.

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

That is why i hate follow-follow. People always throwing their shitty errors and lies and crooked understanding as though it is solid True before a person gets to even see things for himself.

I remember my first reaction was that this did not make any sense for God does not do an evil thing and can never ever support one. However the noise did not let me see things for myself until now. Thanks for the correction.

However, in return I respectfully urge you to get out of jw. They are evil and will destroy your soul. If you are fair and True as I have seen in you, you yourself can not deny that they are certainly not from God and Christ.

I know that their selling point and appeal is that they would take care of you financially, connectionally and everything you need like a good club. But that is what cults do whether eckanker or olumba olumba or atheism. But they are all one and the same evil using the power of cooperation to entrap your soul.

However, I respect your right to choose your associations and I do not say more than this for you know that which is good or evil, to choose therefrom!

And follow someone who says women are from the seed of Satan?
Such a misogynist
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:17am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

Hannah and Joseph/Mary shows you that they go to the temple at least once a year, so that is when they see her and are reminded of her situation.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:18am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

Your double-mindedness amazes me
You can correct these churchgoers by citing scriptures and making references to correct wrong doctrines, even ones they wrongly use Bible to support with an incorrect understanding of it either literally or unliterally but you are very picky and biased in your determination to remain a blind atheist for life
In same manner, do an effective research and come up with a reasonable conclusion and stop fooling around threads not meant for your kind
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Aemmyjah(m): 9:26am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Imagine if it were an animal like a dog or a pig that came out to 'greet' Jephthah. Would he have sacrificed it? He will receive a curse
What about a leper or an hunchback or an amalekite slave?

I am happy we finally agreed on something
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Your double-mindedness amazes me
You can correct these churchgoers by citing scriptures and making references to correct wrong doctrines, even ones they wrongly use Bible to support with an incorrect understanding of it either literally or unliterally but you are very picky and biased in your determination to remain a blind atheist for life
In same manner, do an effective research and come up with a reasonable conclusion and stop fooling around threads not meant for your kind

Judges 11:39 At the end of two months, she returned to her father, after which he carried out the vow he had made regarding her]
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:29am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

And follow someone who says women are from the seed of Satan?
Such a misogynist

No don't follow me,

I am not The Way neither am I The Truth, nor do I give Life!

I am only a lover of The Truth aiming to speak The Truth which i have seen and come to know comes from God and is Proven by God and powerfully protected by God hence no one can validly break it, IF IT IS INDEED TRUE. HENCE THE LAW "THERE IS NO VALID ARGUMENT AGAINST THE TRUTH! '

And my posts are right here up for queries a requeries and all in all i stand to be validly and lawfully corrected as you have just done to me over this jephthah's matter.

So, I am not asking you to follow me I am asking you to follow He Who is called Jesus Christ, The Way, The Truth and The Life!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:34am On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Imagine if it were an animal like a dog or a pig that came out to 'greet' Jephthah. Would he have sacrificed it? He will receive a curse
What about a leper or an hunchback or an amalekite slave?

I am happy we finally agreed on something

We usually land on the same ground a lot of times.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:39am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

Judges 11:39 At the end of two months, she returned to her father, after which he carried out the vow he had made regarding her]

And what was his vow?
Answer: To give her to The Lord like Hannah gave Samuel.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2023
TheMadame:
CONCLUSION.

Very smart. U deliberately removed the verses that destroys the narrative u pushing.
Why are u removing from God's word? God's judgement in Revelation 22 applies to u.

The salient point that clearly explain this passage remain why did Jephthah's daughter weep over her virginity?
Why did her friends join her in moaning her virginity?

Answer the question and the ambiguity in the passage is eliminated.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

And what was his vow?
The vow is the burnt offering.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:45am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

The vow is the burnt offering.

You are so twisted and backwards for you to make the end of a statement, the beginning.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 9:46am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You are so twisted and backwards for you to make the end of a statement, the beginning.
Why didn't hannah call samuel burnt offering?
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 9:47am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

And what was his vow?

Let me ask u a question
If a judge sentence u to death. And u have 2 months left before the execution.
What would be your priority. Moaning over lack of sex, if u are a bachelor- moaning because u will never marry.
What u guys are pushing makes no sense at all and u all know it.

It's just an exercise to throw anything at the bible once it seems ambiguous.
U immediately throw away your sense of sound reasoning and logical thinking.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 9:50am On Sep 03, 2023
TheMadame:
CONCLUSION.

If a judge sentence u to death. And u have 2 months left before the execution.
What would be your priority. Moaning over lack of sex, if u are a spinster- moaning because u will never marry.

One thing I've noticed about u is once it comes to the bible u throw away your sense of sound reasoning and become irrational.
That's why u never answer any question we ask u here.

How can girl who's about to be killed become obsessed with her virginity. Of all things to worry about.
Even her friends joined to moan her virginity. Someone that's about to die

Gosh....only Jah can help u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Do Catholics actually Worship Mary Mother Of Jesus / What Does God Require Of Us At The Brazen Laver? / Bishop David Oyedepo: Prophetic Instructions To All Winners' Family Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.