Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,629 members, 7,820,222 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. (2616 Views)

The Origin Of Freemasonry Is North Africa Sex Worship And Human Sacrifice / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:59am On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

Let me ask u a question
If a judge sentence u to death. And u have 2 months left before the execution.
What would be your priority. Moaning over lack of sex, if u are a bachelor- moaning because u will never marry.
What u guys are pushing makes no sense at all and u all know it...

Look at what you have said, persons awaiting execution of death sentence can never lament solely about loss of sex and marriage. They lament about living and seeing the sun and relatives and people and Solomon in Ecclesiastes shows you.

But when you are told that you are going to be castrated or you suffer erectile/penile dysfunction or womb loss or made a monk, sex and marriage are the matters you must be wailing about!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 10:20am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

Why didn't hannah call samuel burnt offering?

Off Point!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 10:24am On Sep 03, 2023
Jepthat or whatever is a smart guy, he knew exactly what he was doing.

When you come home from a war victorious, who do you expect to welcome you and celebrate you after that feat?
Not only that, this ni.gga said the first thing that comes out of his HOUSE, he knew the people in his HOUSE, he didn't say the first thing to welcome him back into the city.
If a warrior comes back from a war and he is victorious, high ranking people in the city will meet him, but if it was in his HOUSE,of course his FAMILY will be the first to come and meet him and celebrate him. They are already waiting for his peaceful return.

Judges 11:31 King James Version (KJV)
then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 11:08am On Sep 03, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Look at what you have said, persons awaiting execution of death sentence can never lament solely about loss of sex and marriage. They lament about living and seeing the sun and relatives and people and Solomon in Ecclesiastes shows you.

But when you are told that you are going to be castrated or you suffer erectile/penile dysfunction or womb loss or made a monk, sex and marriage are the matters you must be wailing about!

Help me ask TheMadame, Maynman and Dantedasz. They are the ones claiming the girl was killed.
I've asked them this question but they refused to reply because they know their stupidity will be exposed.
Maynman rarely fails to respond to mentions but he's gone ghost mode.

How can a girl about to be killed gather her friends and take them to the mountain to moan about not having sex.
Makes no sense.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 11:10am On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

How can a girl about to be killed gather her friends and take them to the mountain to moan about not having sex.
Makes no sense.
She is mourning that she has no kids, the purpose of women then was primarily reproduction

What does burnt offering mean?

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 11:14am On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

The vow is the burnt offering.

The Hebrew verb and noun translated in the phrase of Jephthah’s vow, “I will offer up for a burnt offering” (Judg. 11:31).
Both the verb and noun come from the one root, ‘olah (sic), meaning “to go up.”
The words themselves, however, do not connote the idea of death. They speak only of something being given up to God. A literal translation of Jephthah’s words, in fact, would be, “I cause that which goes up to go up.”
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 11:15am On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

The Hebrew verb and noun translated in the phrase of Jephthah’s vow, “I will offer up for a burnt offering” (Judg. 11:31).
Both the verb and noun come from the one root, ‘olah (sic), meaning “to go up.”
The words themselves, however, do not connote the idea of death. They speak only of something being given up to God. A literal translation of Jephthah’s words, in fact, would be, “I cause that which goes up to go up.”
All burnt sacrifices connotes that hebrew word.

The smoke from the burning goes up.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

If yu had any sense of the Bible, you'll see that it was not human sacrifice but her being dedicated for the rest of her life to God with no prospect of marriage
God does not accept any human sacrifice
Stop feigning full ignorance when you know nothing

You don't even understand or comprehend your own religious book.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Fullblown ignorance
Chai

Argue with your poorly written book.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:06pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

To sacrifice means to offer or set apart as a gift to God or a deity
Some sacrifices could be land, fields, animals, humans, etc... Only an ignorant person will reason that all living things sacrificed must be killed

Continue turning Amala and garnishing it with Gbegiri soup topped with raw meat.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

So many children claiming intelligence on nairaland
You can't provide one verse that shows he himself accepted human flesh
All the places where human sacrifices were done in the Bible, he condemned them

Adult claiming ignorance. Quote where Yahweh rejected Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter as a BURNT OFFERING!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:13pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

1. But he tested Abraham shows he's not omniscient as he has the power to withhold himself from certain abilities such as power, foreknowledge too.

2. Same was what happened with Hannah and Samuel ... Sacrifices means something set apart to God... If someone wants to sacrifice by using money, will he burn it?

3. Our first father, Adam who was perfect corrupted himself and handed over to us imperfection and sin and death... What Jesus did was a willing Ransom to buy back the life Adam lost and help us to life forever... With your physical mind, it can't make sense to you... It is not money or animal sacrifice that can help us

Why am I wasting my time engaging an ignorant person like you? The ignorance of your posts is arrogance in itself.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 12:14pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

1. But he tested Abraham shows he's not omniscient as he has the power to withhold himself from certain abilities such as power, foreknowledge too.

2. Same was what happened with Hannah and Samuel ... Sacrifices means something set apart to God... If someone wants to sacrifice by using money, will he burn it?

3. Our first father, Adam who was perfect corrupted himself and handed over to us imperfection and sin and death... What Jesus did was a willing Ransom to buy back the life Adam lost and help us to life forever... With your physical mind, it can't make sense to you... It is not money or animal sacrifice that can help us

Error.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 12:40pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

To sacrifice means to offer or set apart as a gift to God or a deity
Some sacrifices could be land, fields, animals, humans, etc... Only an ignorant person will reason that all living things sacrificed must be killed

My issue with people like you is the regular resort to using abusive words on anyone who does not agree with your perception. Why using the word ignorant?
The standard operating word in this passage is BURNT OFFERING!
No matter how you twist and turn the words of this Bible passage the standard operating word remains BURNT OFFERING.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 12:44pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

The only person adding is you
Any man who offered up a fellow man the way they do animals will receive a curse, not a blessing
Such sacrifices was condemned by God
You are the one disturbing yourself wit wrong conclusions

Once again I admonish you to stop adding your own personal perceptions and wants to the Holy Bible, it portends great danger and there are consequences for it. A word is enough for a wise man. I will say no more on this issue.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:52pm On Sep 03, 2023
Aemmyjah:

The only person adding is you
Any man who offered up a fellow man the way they do animals will receive a curse, not a blessing Such sacrifices was condemned by God You are the one disturbing yourself wit wrong conclusions
Many atheists just pick up a verse and build an argument around it, once you've dropped your comment let the atheist continue arguing with himself any sincere follower will get the sense of what is found written in God's word! smiley

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

She is mourning that she has no kids, the purpose of women then was primarily reproduction

Show me in the passage where it mentioned not having children.
Emphasis was on never marry and virginity.
Mourning because of no kid is a figment of your imagination to add your own words.
Revelation 22 punishment is awaiting u...ask TheMadame
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 1:29pm On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

Show me in the passage where it mentioned not having children.
Emphasis was on never marry and virginity.
Mourning because of no kid is a figment of your imagination to add your own words.
Revelation 22 punishment is awaiting u...ask TheMadame

virgins don't have kids.
The fear that controls you, don't control me.
You are worshipping a lie, better look up on the origin of the book of revelation.

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 1:39pm On Sep 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Many atheists just pick up a verse and build an argument around it, once you've dropped your comment let the atheist continue arguing with himself any sincere follower will get the sense of what is found written in God's word! smiley

You probably pride yourself on being more Christian than whoever does not agree with your understanding of the Bible.
I see pride running through all your posts all the time.
You must think you are a superior Christian to everyone else. You must think your church is superior to every other church.
Pride goes before a fall. Humble yourself as a Christian and understand we are all learning and none is perfect except God.
Good day.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:42pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

When an animal is presented as burnt offering back then it means everything must be burnt to arches nothing should be left for any other purpose the whole animal must be burnt completely on the altar.

The smell of such a sacrifice differs from the one where only it's fat is burnt.

Sacrifices were presented and both the Levites and the one presenting the offering has designated parts of the animal reserved for their consumption but in case of the burnt offering nothing is reserved.

So when a person is offered as burnt offering to the God of Israel it means such a person will no longer pursue a life of pleasing either herself or parent all his or her life will be dedicated to the God of Israel.

Of course Jephthah made the vow thinking it's one of his slaves that will come and welcome him unknowing that it's his one and only child that will fall in.

May you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

When an animal is presented as burnt offering back then it means everything must be burnt to arches nothing should be left for any other purpose the whole animal must be burnt completely on the altar.

The smell of such a sacrifice differs from the one where only it's fat is burnt.

Sacrifices were presented and both the Levites and the one presenting the offering has designated parts of the animal reserved for their consumption but in case of the burnt o[code][/code]ffering nothing is reserved.

So when a person is offered as burnt offering to the God of Israel it means such a person will no longer pursue a life of pleasing either herself or parent all his or her life will be dedicated to the God of Israel.

Of course Jephthah made the vow thinking it's one of his slaves that will come and welcome him unknowing that it's his one and only child that will fall in.

May you have PEACE! smiley
You didn't say anything.

May you have JOY. wink
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

You didn't say anything.

May you have JOY. wink

OK Sir! smiley

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 2:02pm On Sep 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

OK Sir! smiley
Yes believer wink
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 2:14pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

All burnt sacrifices connotes that hebrew word.

The smoke from the burning goes up.

Only the levite priest can perform burnt offering. They would not accept a human being as burnt offering because it's abominable to God.

What goes up from the burnt offering to God is the aroma. That's what is pleasing to God, not the smoke.

Then take them from their hands and burn them on the altar along with the burnt offering for a pleasing aroma to the Lord, a food offering presented to the Lord. Exodus 29.25

That's why there was emphasis on her virginity in the passage.
She was offered to serve God undefiled. The same reason nuns are meant to be virgins because that is what u are sacrificing for God.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 2:25pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:
virgins don't have kids.
The fear that controls you, don't control me.
You are worshipping a lie, better look up on the origin of the book of revelation.

Virgins also don't marry and they don't have sex. These 2 were emphasised in the bible but nothing about not having kids.

Not all non-virgins have kids. U should know that.
But all non virgins in ancient Israelites must have been married at a point in their life. Being otherwise could be fatal for the girl.

Burnt offering already explained and it's meaning in the verse clarified.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 2:26pm On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

Only the levite priest can perform burnt offering. They would not accept a human being as burnt offering because it's abominable to God.

What goes up from the burnt offering to God is the aroma. That's what is pleasing to God, not the smoke.

Then take them from their hands and burn them on the altar along with the burnt offering for a pleasing aroma to the Lord, a food offering presented to the Lord. Exodus 29.25

That's why there was emphasis on her virginity in the passage.
She was offered to serve God undefiled. The same reason nuns are meant to be virgins because that is what u are sacrificing for God.
We are talking about judges and that Incident, there was no king during these periods.
Aroma doesn't go up, the smoke is the aroma that goes up to the omnipotent god lol

She was offered as sacrifice, I wonder what you will say if she was not a virgin.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Maynman: 2:28pm On Sep 03, 2023
SIRTee15:

Virgins also don't marry and they don't have sex. These 2 were emphasised in the bible but nothing about not having kids.

Not all non-virgins have kids. U should know that.
But all non virgins in ancient Israelites must have been married at a point in their life. Being otherwise could be fatal for the girl.

Burnt offering already explained and it's meaning in the verse clarified.
The verse never said anything about marry, but she was a virgin.

Burnt offering means what it means, which other verse does burnt offering mean service in the temple?
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 3:21pm On Sep 03, 2023
TheMadame:

My issue with people like you is the regular resort to using abusive words on anyone who does not agree with your perception. Why using the word ignorant?
The standard operating word in this passage is BURNT OFFERING!
No matter how you twist and turn the words of this Bible passage the standard operating word remains BURNT OFFERING.

Burnt offering in the verse meant to go up to the Lord.

The original hebrew passage denotes 'as a burnt offering which ascends to LORD'.
There's no mention of death or sacrifice.

The phrase in contention here is the root word 'owlah' which could mean burnt offering or ascent or 'to go up' depending on how it's used as a noun or verb.

The passage speak only of something being given up to God. The Hebrew literal translation of Jephthah’s words would be, “I cause that which goes up to go up.”

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

The verse never said anything about marry, but she was a virgin.

Burnt offering means what it means, which other verse does burnt offering mean service in the temple?

Read, don't suffer from cognitive dissonance.

But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

We are talking about judges and that Incident, there was no king during these periods.
Aroma doesn't go up, the smoke is the aroma that goes up to the omnipotent god lol

She was offered as sacrifice, I wonder what you will say if she was not a virgin.

I think we done here. U confabulating again.
So the exodus period had kings....Who do u think was talking in exodus 29.25?

Aroma doesn't go up U will know those who doesn't cook.
Well the bible clearly states aroma goes up as a sweet swelling fragrance to God.

The bible states she was a virgin. Nothing more to say about it.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2023
Dantedasz:

Adult claiming ignorance. Quote where Yahweh rejected Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter as a BURNT OFFERING!

Burnt offering means Leviticus 1: (either cattle, herd or flock.) No human being.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2023
Maynman:

Burnt offering means Leviticus 1: (either cattle, herd or flock.) No human being.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can Man Live Ethically And Morally Without The Guidance Of Religion? / Pastor W.f Kumuyi Speaks Publicly On The Killing Of Deeper Life Members In Okene / Islamic Terrorism In Bible’s Prophecy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.