Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues (17852 Views)

History Of Tribal Marks ( Yoruba Perspective) + pictures / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by MarcAnthon(m): 10:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
Shame on all you ethnic bigots. A big shame especially if you guys are under 40. The money spent on ur education was definitely a waste! Education's supposed to open your mind, make u acquire a broader perspective on issues and make u think for yourselves. Please learn to leave ur comfort zones, go out and broaden ur narrow minds. If I didn't know better I'd think d forumites here are septuagenarians. SMH for u guys,
@poster, love's a beautiful thing wen u find it, so pray that God shld change the hearts if ur parents. It's a good thing to have one's parents blessing in a marriage, but if they refuse to see beyond their noses then u must take control of the rudder of ur lives! It's ur lives afterall. They live theirs, they shld let u live yours!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Xtfield(m): 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2011
@ The Poster
Take advice from a man who has been through this situation before. When in 1983, I wanted to marry my wife, parents on both sides objected but we simply were not bothered. We knew what we wanted and we went for it.  First I got my fiancee pregnant making the case a fait accompli. We got married in May 1984 and we have been together for 27 years. If you truly love this guy and he truly loves you, go ahead and get married. Both parents will have no option. Maybe your parents are rich and you do not wish to lose the inheritance that will accrue to you at their death. If that be it, then, it means you love wealth more than the guy and same goes for your guy. Experience has taught that when marriages are contracted under this condition, it is able to weather all storms knowing fully well that so many people are waiting g on the sidelines to say, "We told you". I wish you the best.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by nolongTing: 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2011
@OP Just tell your Yoruba stud to increase the bride price and learn to kneel down for his relative and prepare pounded yam and you will both live happily ever after  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by decode55(m): 10:46pm On Oct 16, 2011
airmark:

@ Andrewuweh , so Taju is a l.esbian . To hell with Taju. grin grin grin

It won't suprise me dude. Na so Andreuweh told us fictitious Taju's story on page 1. You also have come with yours. [size=8pt][size=8pt]What's your gf name. Taja?[/size][/size]
lol
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by decode55(m): 10:50pm On Oct 16, 2011
Xtfield:

@ The Poster
Take advice from a man who has been through this situation before. When in [size=8pt][size=8pt]1983,[/size][/size] I wanted to marry my wife, parents on both sides objected but we simply were not bothered. We knew what we wanted and we went for it.  First I got my fiancee pregnant making the case a fait accompli. We got married in May [size=8pt][size=8pt]1984[/size][/size] and we have been together for 27 years. If you truly love this guy and he truly loves you, go ahead and get married. Both parents will have no option. Maybe your parents are rich and you do not wish to lose the inheritance that will accrue to you at their death. If that be it, then, it means you love wealth more than the guy and same goes for your guy. Experience has taught that when marriages are contracted under this condition, it is able to weather all storms knowing fully well that so many people are waiting g on the sidelines to say, "We told you". I wish you the best.
story tellers full hia oooo! grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by SouthEast1: 10:53pm On Oct 16, 2011
Emeka Anyaoku, former head of commonwealth- wife is Yoruba
Prof Emeka Ike, Igwe of Ndikelionwu and former head of WAEC- wife is Yoruba and is indeed the queen (lolo) of Ndikelionwu
Those two are my role models in marital affairs
My parents have no say/choice in my love life and marriage
Bimbo's (g/f) parents too in her's

I believe Ileke Idi remembers our past discussion about Bimbo years backgrin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 16, 2011
South-East:

Emeka Anyaoku, former head of commonwealth- wife is Yoruba
Prof Emeka Ike, Igwe of Ndikelionwu and former head of WAEC- wife is Yoruba and is indeed the queen (lolo) of Ndikelionwu
Those two are my role models in marital affairs
My parents have no say/choice in my love life and marriage
Bimbo's (g/f) parents too in her's

[size=18pt]I believe Ileke Idi remembers our past discussion about Bimbo years backgrin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[/size]

Yea, just like aloy.emeka came out with her own "my girlfriend is Bisi" until we found out the psychopath is actually a girl.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Xtfield(m): 10:55pm On Oct 16, 2011
decode55:

story tellers full hia oooo! grin

What's wrong with story telling? It's my testimony. Do you have one? Are you married? Inexperienced people like you have no business advising this young and confused lady.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mbatuku1: 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2011
Xtfield:

@ The Poster
Take advice from a man who has been through this situation before. When in 1983, I wanted to marry my wife, parents on both sides objected but we simply were not bothered. We knew what we wanted and we went for it.  First I got my fiancee pregnant making the case a fait accompli. We got married in May 1984 and we have been together for 27 years. If you truly love this guy and he truly loves you, go ahead and get married. Both parents will have no option. Maybe your parents are rich and you do not wish to lose the inheritance that will accrue to you at their death. If that be it, then, it means you love wealth more than the guy and same goes for your guy. Experience has taught that when marriages are contracted under this condition, it is able to weather all storms knowing fully well that so many people are waiting g on the sidelines to say, "We told you". I wish you the best.

I hope you do not take the advice above seriously. We are talking about going into a completely different culture with their own mentality and values on marriage. You'd better have your folks' backing than anything else in a situation like this.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2011
airmark:

@ Andrewuweh , so Taju is a l.esbian . To hell with Taju. grin grin grin

It won't suprise me dude. Na so Andreuweh told us fictitious Taju's story on page 1. You also have come with yours. What's your gf name. Taja?
For God's sake, It was a typo error. Who hasn't made a mistake before while typing. I meant HE and not she. Anyway the good thing is that HE lost out.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by MMM2(m): 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2011
op  do u know how 2 cook ofe manu
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by horny4u(f): 10:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
Make sure you love him like se him be oxygen sef, if that is the case forget both parents and marry him, they either come around or not,its your life and they are living theirs.

If you have some doubt about what you feel for each other then you may listen to your parents.

I am not in support of parents standing in the way of love but be so sure as no story tomorrow oh.

P.S Even if he was igbo they could still oppose because his head is too big or too small  undecided Follow your heart and pray about it, not pastor about it oh.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Xtfield(m): 10:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
Take an elder's advice and leave all these young red heads out if your life. Remember the story of Rehoboam in the Bible.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by arsenefc: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2011
MarcAnthon:

Shame on all you ethnic bigots.

Why Shame? We are ethnic bigots for a reason: WE DONT FEEL SHAME. That is to say, we are SHAMELESS

A big shame especially if you guys are under 40.

We are still young. We are allowed to make our mistakes, NO? You made yours, you dont want us to make ours? You just want us to follow in your footstep, init?

The money spent on your education was definitely a waste!

Not if you are guaranteed a six figure salary when you are done. Thats definitely not my idea of waste.

Education's supposed to open your mind,

It depends. Technical education does not necessarily open your mind. In general though, education is supposed to help you think within a certain frame work. You know what really opens your mind, Ignorance. You are allowed to do whatever and think how ever.

make u acquire a broader perspective on issues and make u think for yourselves.

Actually education narrows your perspective, cos when you start thinking outside of the box, you are most likely to be institutionalized, by force most times. Read up on John Nash, you will understand what I am talking about.

Please learn to leave your comfort zones,

Why would you do that? Thats insane? Why dont you try jumping out of a plane the next time you are over the Atlantic Ocean. Thats my idea of leaving your comfort zone

go out and broaden your narrow minds.

Sometimes it takes open mind to be a bigot

If I didn't know better I'd think d forumites here are septuagenarians.

Some of us were born in September, others are vegetarians, which means you are wrong, there are a lot of septuagenarians here

SMH for u guys,

Take it easy on your head, you dont want to fall dizzy or end up with Torticollis

@poster, love's a beautiful thing wen u find it,

The OP is just lusting after the Yoruba guy's money. Take your advice somewhere else Sir.

so pray that God shld change the hearts if your parents.

Why would God change the heart now, when he made it they way it is now. What kind of dumb god do you serve?

It's a good thing to have one's parents blessing in a marriage, but if they refuse to see beyond their noses then u must take control of the rudder of your lives! It's your lives afterall. They live theirs, they shld let u live yours!

The OP should have thought about that when they were sending her to school, feeding her, sheltering her and what not. She should have rejected all those goodies and live her life, on the street with other let-me-live-my-life-babies begging for money on Kano street and Idumota.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

For God's sake, It was a typo error. Who hasn't made a mistake before while typing. I meant HE and not she. Anyway the good thing is that HE lost out.

You also meant HIS and not HER.

That's what happens when ppl lie.

HERE is a typo error, not SHE and HER.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mbatuku1: 11:05pm On Oct 16, 2011
I'm really liking Mr. Stranger these days. grin You just crack me up most times.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:05pm On Oct 16, 2011
Why is this on the front page. na wa ooooo! OP, U are an attention seeker. undecided
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 11:05pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You also meant HIS and not HER.

That's what happens when ppl lie.

HERE is a typo error, not SHE and HER.
Monkey, pay attention to the thread and stop spotting English language lapses here. This is not an English lang class. Eadiot.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Monkey, pay attention to the thread and stop spotting English language lapses here. This is not an English lang class. Eadiot.

ROTFLMAO!!!

What a bunch of loser.

I'm sure bliss4lyfe is lusting after one Yoruba dude. I'm guessing he's in politics wink
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 11:15pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!!

What a bunch of loser.

I'm sure bliss4lyfe is lusting after one Yoruba dude. I'm guessing he's in politics wink
So what made me a loser in this case, is it your superior argument or what?. You came here and made your opinions known, I respected your opinions and didn't even reply your post. So why do you go about spotting English lang. lapses from my post. That I wrote she instead of he by error is now the thread topic. Take your time poor girl.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mbatuku1: 11:16pm On Oct 16, 2011
OP, just in case you did end up marrying this yoruba guy. If you have daughters, pls, do keep them very far away from him. Yoruba men are renowned for not discriminating or showing inhibitions to sexual gratification, even if it involves their own blood. Just my token forewarning.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:16pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!!

What a bunch of loser.

The yoruba men sell their heart and wallet once dey find out your igbo. Something about Igbo always make them want a serious relationship and to settle down even wen most times the Igbo girl is no match for certain of their yoruba women. If he is loaded or has good prospect why not?
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

So what made me a loser in this case, is it your superior argument or what?. You came here and made your opinions known, I respected your opinions and didn't even reply your post. So why do you go about spotting English lang.  lapses from my post. That I wrote she instead of he by error is now the thread topic. Take your time poor girl.

Next time you need to make up a story about Yorubas this and that as you usually do in the other threads, try to seem as truthful as possible.

I hope that Taju and Taja live a long life. Even though Taju is not a yoruba name, we'll also look past that.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by rgp922: 11:18pm On Oct 16, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

The yoruba men sell their heart and wallet once dey find out your igbo. Something about Igbo always make them want a serious relationship and to settle down even wen most times the Igbo girl is no match for certain of their yoruba women. If he is loaded or has good prospect why not?

wink
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mikron(m): 11:18pm On Oct 16, 2011
Tribalism in this present day nigeria! Na wa o! The igbos are the biggest culprits in this dept. Majority of them are tribalistic in nature. The yorubas are ok
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2011
christygenius u should really be ashamed of yourself for wanting to settle with a yoruba man from a group which has no regard for your people,its obvious you dont know the path you are threading most likely leads to a hell of a marital life,how do you want to cope with a people who are so loud,dirty mannered and will not give a damn about you while they speak their language right in your presence and do not care if u can understand the yoruba language or not,they do not care if u think they are gossiping against you.for your information,whether you marry the Yoruba boy or not,he will still get a yoruba girl as second wife.if you still have any sense of pride in you as an ibo girl,just call off that relationship.there are many eligible and good ibo guys out there.am sure opposition from your parents may not be too much if he was ijaw,uhrobo or from crossrivers.yorubas and ibos simply do not see eye to eye.dump the yoruba guy and move on.youd be surprised he will move on much better than you,dump him now and in two months youll find out his just gotten married to a yoruba girl.dont deceive yourself with those feelings u call love,it can be deceptive.just end your relationship with the yoruba guy,quit dating yorubas,move on with your tribe.
as for those who accuse several advisers of tribalism,its all hypocrisy on their part ,trust me.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by MarcAnthon(m): 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2011
@Arsenefc, I'll take it u're trying to be funny so I'll laff it off. I'm typing off a fone so it's not as easy to pick ur arguments one by one and give my take on them. But u must be some kind of mind reader to categorically say that d poster is lusting after d dude's money. I tire for u o!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 16, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

The yoruba men sell their heart and wallet once dey find out your igbo. Something about Igbo always make them want a serious relationship and to settle down even wen most times the Igbo girl is no match for certain of their yoruba women. If he is loaded why not?

Sweety, Yoruba men do the same thing with every tribe esp Edo and Calabar chics (for their sexuality prowess). But if you're trying to say that yoruba men knows that money is the way to an Igbo girl's heart, I wont argue. You should really ask your Non-igbo and non-Yoruba friends. I've encountered the same thing, maybe they're too caring wink

Some of them are stingy to the core sha.

BTW, try not to have a Yoruba men want us and not you discussion. I really wish I could care less, esp when I'm not with one. I just enjoy the trouble una go through to get a Yoruba man grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by coogar: 11:21pm On Oct 16, 2011
christygenius:

Fellas,   please   am   a   little   bit   worried
here   and   i   need   your   urgent   advice
ok.  Ive   been  dating   my   boyfriend   for
the   past   three and   half   years   and
we   love each   other   dearly.   We've
even  started making   plans to   take  the
relationship  to the  next  level   by  tying
the knots  but  the  problem  now  is  that
we're  not of  the  same  tribe  because  he
is  yoruba and   am ibo and  our  parents
dont   support our  plans from both   sides.
We've tried our  bests  to convince them
that what matters is that we love each other
and not let the issue of tribe ruine  our
happiness but it seems that fate is about to
play a cruel game on us.                   I dont
know what to do again since none of us is
ready to quit d relationship. So NLanders
what do u suggest we do cos we're running
out of patience. Your sincere and mature
advice will be appreciated. embarassed cry

simple solution: get pregnant!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lakal(m): 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
Some of you are so backwards and bigoted that you should be ashamed to post what you post.  Awon alaironu buruku.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by horny4u(f): 11:23pm On Oct 16, 2011
chima12:

christygenius u should really be ashamed of yourself for wanting to settle with a yoruba man from a group which has no regard for your people,its obvious you dont know the path you are threading most likely leads to a hell of a marital life,how do you want to cope with a people who are so loud,dirty mannered and will not give a damn about you while they speak their language right in your presence and do not care if u can understand the yoruba language or not,they do not care if u think they are gossiping against you.for your information,whether you marry the Yoruba boy or not,he will still get a yoruba girl as second wife.if you still have any sense of pride in you as an ibo girl,just call off that relationship.there are many eligible and good ibo guys out there.am sure opposition from your parents may not be too much if he was ijaw,uhrobo or from crossrivers.yorubas and ibos simply do not see eye to eye.dump the yoruba guy and move on.youd be surprised he will move on much better than you,dump him now and in two months youll find out his just gotten married to a yoruba girl.dont deceive yourself with those feelings u call love,it can be deceptive.just end your relationship with the yoruba guy,quit dating yorubas,move on with your tribe.
as for those who accuse several advisers of tribalism,its all hypocrisy on their part ,trust me.

Why do we cry racism to oyinbo when we can have tribalism
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Onlytruth(m): 11:23pm On Oct 16, 2011
OP, listen carefully to wise advice here. There is a MAJOR difference between dating and marriage. That is why so see many people who dated for long (say 5 years) but divorce after just one year or two. A man can afford to experiment with marriage (to some extent); a woman can't, because by the time you hit a snag in the experiment after some years, you have become "Tokunbo" with two kids! LOL. grin

Most Yoruba I know try to get "Igbo wife" or "Igbo girlfriend", but it is just a psychological therapy (to feel they scored against the Igbo or they got some Igbo genes into their family), NOTHING MORE. Marriage should not be about that. It should be about people who "assimilate" or "bond" into one state of culture for the rest of their lives.
IT AIN"T TEA PARTY.

Your case is part of an increasing Igbo problem stemming from years of living outside Igboland. It is not your fault. It is your parent's fault. Nevertheless, you still have power not to make it worse for yourself because by the time the "5hit" hit the fan later in your life, your parents may be long dead. It is YOUR life.

Perhaps the most important information you need is to be aware that most Yoruba men would have second or third or more wives before they go out of their prime. If they don't do that, they get "baby mamas" outside of your marriage.
Your dude may be in love with you today, but he would likely also be in love with more women later (after you've been trapped with two kids). Be warned.  cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Edo Names And Their Meaning / ‘akatakpa’ Masquerades Banned In Enugu Community / 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.