Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. (34457 Views)

Huge Meteor Spotted Burning Up Over Scotland And Northern Ireland (video) / Bad Road In Akute Vs Bad Road In Britain / Rural And Northern Immigration Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by tommy589(m): 11:35pm On Sep 04, 2023
IbeOkehie:

First of all, what has ANY Black African resident in Africa ever invented? Just name ONE single important thing we have GIVEN to this world. Ordinary WHEEL, we didn't have it till Oyibo brought it to us.

Don't worry, they're already thinking ahead of you. That's why they refused to join the Euro currency waaay back in the 1990's and saved their economy and now they've done Brexit to curtail immigration that the EU was trying to force on them. Right now, today, over 85% of the UK population is White and I think over 80% is English tribe.

The English have vast experience dealing with all kinds of nations, races and tribes.

Also I'm curious as to why people discount the Anglo-Western nations of USA, NZ, Australia and South Africa and Canada when discussing the UK, I think that's actually where the English tribe has diversified and built safeguards or alternative scenarios. Very soon they'll be building colonies in space and Black Africans will be begging for visa to Mars.

You can't beat the English. I'm confident they've seen it all and they KNOW about your kind of attitude. None of us alive today will live to see the day England will be poor or under the control of uncivilized people. Just as no one ever lost money betting against Nigeria, you will always win betting with the Anglos. Las las, they have nukes and you have not, ask Sultan Attahiru grin

,Anyhow at most 130 years for everyone and it's good bye to the world and its problems. Good Luck to everyone sha.

"All roads lead to Rome" I guess the Romans had it all planned out too, but here we are today.

40 years ago no one would have expected an Indian to be PM or a black man to be US president. Did anyone project the fall of USSR to happen same century or Ukraine rising against Russia?

Cold war did not inflict any scratch on USSR but other un projected factor happened. So, don't always count on their safety net

I know you know we are not that stupid. But we did not lack or wait for the arrival of European gadgets before our blacksmith produced knives, cutlasses etc. and our weaving loom clothe us.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Naanlong01: 11:41pm On Sep 04, 2023
Why is their own so complicated? Are they the only country or countries? UK is all I know. Nobody should come and add to the concerns of ordinary Nigerian, we have enough to handle already.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Naanlong01: 11:43pm On Sep 04, 2023
Authoreety:
Thanks Op.. The thing been dey confuse me

You are not alone oo. How will I tell my children that as a graduate I never this difference.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 11:46pm On Sep 04, 2023
Yujin:

Since he followed the rules of the conference, then why blame him? You think you're smart but unfortunately, I spotted holes in your claims and I deciphered you aren't who you claim you were hence I alluded to your thought process being 'unIgbo'. Of course, everyone from an ethnic group can't reason exactly alike but the stream of thought will still bear markers that share some resemblance especially when you grew up in the midst of your people. You failed the test just like your so called discussion with the Eze of Agbor, Dr. Edozien.
You claimed it wasn't Pan-Africanism that was behind Zik's quest for a united Nigeria. I now ask you to state what you thought was his reason or like Igbo haters will always do; what was the reason behind all Igbos wanting a united Nigeria at the time other ethnic groups didn't key into it?
Finally, my choice of a moniker i immaterial to our discussion so look for something tangible and use as a come back.

Sir you can look me up on the internet. I'm on Facebook. It's not that hard. I'm from Nkwerre in Imo State. I live in Raleigh NC USA. In this country everything is on the internet. You can send me an email as some others on this forum have done, some people I've had video calls with too. The only person whose tribe is in doubt is YOU, because you've CHOSEN to be anonymous.

Zik was the elected leader of our people and he made a choice. He CHOSE to oppose the proposals of Awo & the Sarduana. He could have chosen to support them, but he didn't. His CHOICE under the rules of the Lancaster Conference automatically made the proposals for a Secession Clause or breaking up Nigeria null and void. And that choice contributed to a post-independence milieu that ultimately caused the Biafra War.

You're arguing like a typical Nigerian University graduate. Nothing new to me.

Good Luck with all that.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 12:18am On Sep 05, 2023
jedisco:
How many times would this be posted on nairaland front page?

While no knowledge is waste, we are not Brits and the average Brit is not concerned about where we originated from. To most, Africa is a single country.

There are barely posts about how most of our states, empires e.t.c came about.
you can do research and make those posts just like someone else posted this.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 12:21am On Sep 05, 2023
aklid:
Don’t make it sound like it’s any different,
London is still England
United Kingdom is England wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is still among England unlike R.reland
Great Britain is just wales Scotland and England..cause Northern Ireland uptill date are seeking for their independence 🤷🏾‍♂️
I guess everyone that attends their history classes know this 💀💀💀💀💀
how did the OP make it look any different, you just explained same thing he did albeit more complex sef.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by BALLOSKI: 12:28am On Sep 05, 2023
Akaegwu:
KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UK, GREAT BRITAIN, BRITAIN, ENGLAND

A lot of people in Nigeria and indeed all over the world, including well travelled, elite class people often confuse England, United Kingdom, Britain and Great Britain. Well, here's the way to differentiate them:

*England* is a country just as Nigeria, and its capital is *London* just like Abuja is the capital of Nigeria.

*Great Britain* is a collection of 3 countries which came together as one country and has its capital as *London.* Those 3 countries are:

1. *England,*
2. *Scotland* and
3. *Wales.*

When you include *Northern Ireland* to these 3 countries, they become *United Kingdom* (union of four nations) Viz:
1. England,
2. Scotland,
3. Wales, and
4. Northern
Ireland.

That is why it is referred to as the *United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.*
Collectively, the four are taken as one country. And when this is the case, *London* is its capital.

Note however that these four individual nations all have their own respective capitals.

Accordingly, the capital of
Scotland is *Edinburgh*,
Wales is *Cardiff*;
Northern Ireland is *Belfast*;
England is *London*.

Ps: Northern Ireland is not to be mistaken for the *Republic of Ireland*. The latter is a separate country. Its capital is *Dublin*.

Credits: Nojeem Jimoh
This one fought rebellion to break out of the union and the northern part stays and that's why you have northern ireland.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 12:44am On Sep 05, 2023
Ritchiee:

Why are you lying,sir?
It is all over the net.

Of all the decrees enacted in Nigeria, none is more controversial than Decree No 34 of 1966. It was promulgated on May 24, 1966 by then Head of State, Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi (1924-1966) . It was called Unification Decree while some critics at that time labelled it the De-unification Decree.

It was the decree that started the death of regionalism – an issue which is still generating controversy till now. Although the next head of State General Yakubu Gowon repealed the Decree 34 on August 31, 1966 through Decree 9, a large portion of the Decree is still effective till today.

General Gowon further compounded it by promulgating Decree 14 of 1967 which broke Nigeria into 12 states and provided for military governors for each state. With Decrees 34, 8 and 14 regionalism was finally buried.

I didn’t Catch the “decree 8” sir
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by canjo: 12:48am On Sep 05, 2023
Now the question is, how many countries are in Britain?
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 12:52am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

.It's like the election of Muhammadu Buhari to the Presidency, it was ECONOMIC SUICIDE to vote for that man given his PUBLIC OFFICE RECORD, I said it at the time but surprisingly most of my friends and family disagreed, including most of the Igbo among them.

[

Thanks.
you said these to your Igbo family and friends and they disagreed? Do u mean they supported and voted PMB into power in 2015?
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 1:38am On Sep 05, 2023
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 1:48am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Sir you can look me up on the internet. I'm on Facebook. It's not that hard. I'm from Nkwerre in Imo State. I live in Raleigh NC USA. In this country everything is on the internet. You can send me an email as some others on this forum have done, some people I've had video calls with too. The only person whose tribe is in doubt is YOU, because you've CHOSEN to be anonymous.

Zik was the elected leader of our people and he made a choice. He CHOSE to oppose the proposals of Awo & the Sarduana. He could have chosen to support them, but he didn't. His CHOICE under the rules of the Lancaster Conference automatically made the proposals for a Secession Clause or breaking up Nigeria null and void. And that choice contributed to a post-independence milieu that ultimately caused the Biafra War.

You're arguing like a typical Nigerian University graduate. Nothing new to me. [s][/s]

Good Luck with all that.
so much for “ No civilized person should ascribe opinions to anyone on basis of any group identity“
Giving the fact that that’s what you’ve done on this thread all day
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 1:49am On Sep 05, 2023
chocboi78:
you said these to your Igbo family and friends and they disagreed? Do u mean they supported and voted PMB into power in 2015?

Yes. And the more educated they were, the more they tended to support Buhari & APC. The doctors, professors, engineers were mostly in support of Buhari. Same goes for those that are Edo, Itsekiri and other Southerners and of course the Yoruba were standing for him gidigba, even Wole Soyinka did a 180 degree turn.

Dear Sir, go on Facebook and look up the commentary of ordinary but highly educated Igbo at the time. I sincerely don't know where people get this notion that the Igbo were only 5% for Buhari. It's simply not true. I lost many, many friends at the time.

chocboi78:
so much for “ No civilized person should ascribe opinions to anyone on basis of any group identity“
Giving the fact that that’s what you’ve done on this thread all day

Nope, you omitted my proviso. I said don't assign opinions based on group identity when you have the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with the person in question. I even emphasized that reservation with CAPITAL LETTERS to make sure it got across.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. It's REASONABLE to assume that a random Black American you meet likely voted for Democrats in any election UNTIL you get the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with the person.

If I meet a Fulani man in the USA, it's REASONABLE to assume they're a Muslim and as such I wouldn't offer them pork. If it's very important to me to extend my hospitality in that way, I will then COMMUNICATE with the person. There are many Fulani Christians and I might be proven wrong on my assumptions. Something like that actually happened to me with a Lebanese/Fulani classmate in University.

I think before I write. The vast majority of Nigerians hold onto beliefs and opinions based on emotion, spite and bigotry.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chinweikpe(f): 3:56am On Sep 05, 2023
Very educative! was not aware of this. :oLike for this guy!
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by gare(f): 4:40am On Sep 05, 2023
Justiceleague1:

What's the currency of the Republic of Ireland?
Euro
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by wowcatty: 5:31am On Sep 05, 2023
Wrong!

I don't know if you did that on purpose.

England is NOT like Nigeria and not a country, but a nation like Yorubaland, it's for english alone. United Kingdom is a country like Nigeria with 4 nations.
Akaegwu:

*England* is a country just as Nigeria, and its capital is *London* just like Abuja is the capital of Nigeria.

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by wowcatty: 5:46am On Sep 05, 2023
This is why white people will always be ahead, they don't lie to each others like blacks do. Black people are so dishonest, they always look for false unity to appropriate other people's credits, culture and traditions.

White people know that they are different, so they separate everything and still live side by side peacefully with each other.

English breakfast
Irish pub
Scotishrite
Every nation has its own flag
Every nation has its own currency type
Every nation has its own hero on its currency
Every nation has representation in international soccer.
Every national is recognized internationally even at USCIS as Welch, English, Irish and Scottish.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by georgeakins: 6:41am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

That wasn't the reason for the coup of Jan 15 1966. God, is all this ignorance about Nigeria just pretence or is it real? Then again a vast majority of Nigerians agreed with former Petrolem Ministers Muhammadu Buhari and Tam David West when they campaigned in 2014 with the slogan "there is nothing like fuel subsidy, fuel subsidy doesn't exist."

Something is wrong with Nigerians, seriously. Once this is understood, it's no surprise then why such a well endowed country is the Poverty Capital of the World.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

What was the reason for the coup?

Why did those greedy Ibo soldiers eliminate great politicians from other tribes while they spared their fellow Ibo men?

Ibos laid the foundation for whatever problems we are facing today.
It is funny that it the same Ibos that are wailing online and offline.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Akaegwu(m): 7:51am On Sep 05, 2023
England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. It shares land borders with Wales to its west and Scotland to its north, while Ireland is located across the Irish Sea to its west and northwest, and the Celtic Sea lies to its southwest.
wowcatty:
Wrong!

I don't know if you did that on purpose.

England is NOT like Nigeria and not a country, but a nation like Yorubaland, it's for english alone. United Kingdom is a country like Nigeria with 4 nations.
England is one of the four countries, along with Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, that make up the sovereign nation of the UK.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 7:57am On Sep 05, 2023
georgeakins:

What was the reason for the reason?

Why did those greedy Ibo soldiers eliminate great politicians from other tribes while they spared their fellow Ibo men?

Ibos laid the foundation for whatever problems we are facing today.
It is funny that it the same Ibos that are wailing online and offline.

I'd rather not go into the reasons for the Jan 15 1966 coup detat. It's maddening, I think most Nigerians subconsciously know the reason, but it's so terrifying they can't even tolerate acknowledging it as real. I repeat, when I began to find out the truth about how Nigeria degenerated into its present state, I almost went crazy because it became clear the popular narratives on all sides are ALL deliberately crafted lies.

I'm Igbo and I'm not wailing about Nigeria. I discuss Nigeria extensively, mainly as an exercise in socio-political analysis and predictability, but I'm definitely NOT wailing or complaining. The country is simply fascinating as a study in collective self degradation on a societal scale, it's even extending down to the family level. Really it's scarily fascinating, like watching a deadly car crash in slow motion.

The other countries worth similar attention in my opinion are South Africa and the USA, but Nigeria is really the cake. It's just....fascinating.

Nigerians can do whatever they want to themselves and their Zoo, fate has taken me beyond all that.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Danisaint112(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2023
sweerychick:
OP you should have included the reason why Northern Ireland and Ireland are seperate. Anyway let me educate y'all it is because of religion, Irish people are predominantly Catholics and they strongly opposed protestants (Anglicans ) which is the traditional religion of great Britain.

Wow thanks for the heads up.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Yujin(m): 9:10am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

You're arguing like a typical Nigerian University graduate. Nothing new to me.

Good Luck with all that.
My identity has been proven here and those who know me know so very well.
Your argument is very weak and it fails to substantiate your claims against Zik at the Lancaster Constitutional Conference. Like I said before, he brought his argument to the table just like the others brought theirs. It was debated with all bearing in mind that failure to have a concensus will mean no date for independence. If out of three regions and political parties, only one had a preference for a united country with the other two favouring a lose set up susceptible to splitting at any point in time, it is expect that he was able to convince the others even if reluctantly to his side for independence to be granted. The proposal for a united Nigeria wasn't a bad one due to the situation of Africans at the time. The opportunity offered by a working united Nigeria is far bigger than whatever any sectional country could ever achieve. How you guys choose to demonise Azikiwe over a simple proposal of uniting African groups at the time is unbelievable. Mind you, every agreement is subject to review after a set period of time including whether a country remains united or not. It is just typical of Nigerians to find the coward way out by blaming an Igbo man for all their woes. Many countries have splitted after they've lived for centuries due to the discovery of their irreconcilable differences. Nigeria ordinarily should be no different. Theophilus Danjuma who was a key player at the time has recently asked for a renegotiation of the lopsided contraption. He isn't daft to be laying blames on someone who simply favoured a united country at a time Africans were just finding their feet. That is what real men do instead of not facing their current realities.
Finally, let's consider if Awolowo's argument had prevailed. Nigeria wouldn't have lasted past 1963. The Western region would have pulled out first followed by the north. It means Igbo groups would have been trapped in Western as well as northern Nigeria with the Igbophobia prevailing there. Nothing guarantees that the East won't have tried to help our people in Anioma if they send an SOS message to us. The same goes for our people in Benue and Kogi. On our side in the East, nothing guarantees that we could have been able to sort out whatever grievances existed between us and COR areas. It might have been a cocktail of problems for the three countries that could have emerged from the breaking of Nigeria in 1963. If any happens to succeed, it will still be shy of what Nigeria could have offered and everyone would have been left wondering what it could have been like if Nigeria had been left united. Today, we all can agree that our differences are irreconcilable thanks to Nnamdi Azikiwe and the rest. We can now agree to go our seperate ways and manage whatever we can make out of our smaller countries. This is the reality on ground.
Stop blaming Ndigbo for whatever perceived crime an Igbo person might have committed. Extend the same accusation to persons from other ethnic groups and not the whole. This is how it is done every other place on the planet.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 10:30am On Sep 05, 2023
Yujin:

My identity has been proven here and those who know me know so very well.
Your argument is very weak and it fails to substantiate your claims against Zik at the Lancaster Constitutional Conference. Like I said before, he brought his argument to the table just like the others brought theirs. It was debated with all bearing in mind that failure to have a concensus will mean no date for independence. If out of three regions and political parties, only one had a preference for a united country with the other two favouring a lose set up susceptible to splitting at any point in time, it is expect that he was able to convince the others even if reluctantly to his side for independence to be granted. The proposal for a united Nigeria wasn't a bad one due to the situation of Africans at the time. The opportunity offered by a working united Nigeria is far bigger than whatever any sectional country could ever achieve. How you guys choose to demonise Azikiwe over a simple proposal of uniting African groups at the time is unbelievable. Mind you, every agreement is subject to review after a set period of time including whether a country remains united or not. It is just typical of Nigerians to find the coward way out by blaming an Igbo man for all their woes. Many countries have splitted after they've lived for centuries due to the discovery of their irreconcilable differences. Nigeria ordinarily should be no different. Theophilus Danjuma who was a key player at the time has recently asked for a renegotiation of the lopsided contraption. He isn't daft to be laying blames on someone who simply favoured a united country at a time Africans were just finding their feet. That is what real men do instead of not facing their current realities.
Finally, let's consider if Awolowo's argument had prevailed. Nigeria wouldn't have lasted past 1963. The Western region would have pulled out first followed by the north. It means Igbo groups would have been trapped in Western as well as northern Nigeria with the Igbophobia prevailing there. Nothing guarantees that the East won't have tried to help our people in Anioma if they send an SOS message to us. The same goes for our people in Benue and Kogi. On our side in the East, nothing guarantees that we could have been able to sort out whatever grievances existed between us and COR areas. It might have been a cocktail of problems for the three countries that could have emerged from the breaking of Nigeria in 1963. If any happens to succeed, it will still be shy of what Nigeria could have offered and everyone would have been left wondering what it could have been like if Nigeria had been left united. Today, we all can agree that our differences are irreconcilable thanks to Nnamdi Azikiwe and the rest. We can now agree to go our seperate ways and manage whatever we can make out of our smaller countries. This is the reality on ground.
Stop blaming Ndigbo for whatever perceived crime an Igbo person might have committed. Extend the same accusation to persons from other ethnic groups and not the whole. This is how it is done every other place on the planet.

I wasn't inclined to read your sophistry here but I did. You accuse me of a weak argument but you brought up a historic thread that completely destroys your own argument. Let's look at it.

You wrote:

Yujin:

Finally, let's consider if Awolowo's argument had prevailed. Nigeria wouldn't have lasted past 1963. The Western region would have pulled out first followed by the north. It means Igbo groups would have been trapped in Western as well as northern Nigeria with the Igbophobia prevailing there.

We all know, you acknowledge, that there was a prevalent Igbophobia in the North BEFORE independence. Actually as far back as the 1940s. By the way, my mother's family lived in the North for decades before Independence, she was born there, so I know all about the hostility to the Igbo in the North.

Now if you're in a country where you're subject to racist, tribalist hatred and you're offered INDEPENDENCE, an automatic way out of the hatred, why would you refuse? The Igbo people - like my mother's family - still ended up leaving all their property in the North, some of them lost their very lives in the United Nigeria suborned by Zik. I think there was a greater possibility of peaceful separation if Awo's proposal for a secession clause had been adopted.

Dear Sir, think about what you just wrote. Do a logical analysis. It's NOT that hard to see that a serious mistake was made.

1) There was a prevalent Igbophobia in the North as far back as the 1930's. I'll add that there were periodic deadly pogroms against Igbo and other Southern residents. So it was clear that Northerners didn't like Igbo people. They didn't want them there and remember, it should go without saying, the presence of the Igbo there was FACILITATED by the FORCED unification of Nigeria by the British.

2) The British who made the error gathered everyone together at the Lancaster Conferences and told them to decide their future. The Igbo who were continual victims of tribalist mass murder were offered the chance to go away and form their own country where they could live in peace and manage their own lives free from Igbophobia.

3) Those very Igbo rejected the offer and because of the rules of negotiation, their refusal ensured the continued existence of the same Nigeria where they would remain subject to more riots, pogroms and mass murder.

Let me just repeat it for emphasis, the Igbo rejected a free offer to secede from a country within which they had been subjected to murderous pogroms for decades...a nation where Igbophobia was a potent ideology. Seriously, what did Zik and his fellow Igbo elites think would happen in the decades to come? That Igbophobia would just wither away and give way to a Pan Africanist love fest? shocked

Just think about all this and tell me who is making baseless justifications for a naive, stupid, Pan Africanism grin This same circumstance is why the English wisely decided to leave the EU, I mean look at the destruction wrought by European tribes with their conflicts up to World War 2. Mark it now, we'll be all dead and gone by then, but the EU will come to a sad end. Any wise, thoughtful leader KNOWS that tribal diversity within a democratic nation is dangerous. The lessons are replete throughout history....in Africa look at Congo in the 1960's, look at Rwanda more recently and many, many others.

What we should be asking is WHY the Igbo made such a suicidal decision to preserve the "perpetual" Unity of Nigeria. I know the reason, confirmed to me by those who know, but I'm not telling.

Good Luck to all Nigerians...you're gonna need it.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by XAUBulls: 10:59am On Sep 05, 2023
Akaegwu:
KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UK, GREAT BRITAIN, BRITAIN, ENGLAND

A lot of people in Nigeria and indeed all over the world, including well travelled, elite class people often confuse England, United Kingdom, Britain and Great Britain. Well, here's the way to differentiate them:

*Great Britain* is a collection of 3 countries which came together as one country and has its capital as *London.* Those 3 countries are:

1. *England,*
2. *Scotland* and
3. *Wales.*

When you include *Northern Ireland* to these 3 countries, they become *United Kingdom* (union of four nations) Viz:
1. England,
2. Scotland,
3. Wales, and
4. Northern
Ireland.

That is why it is referred to as the *United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.*
Collectively, the four are taken as one country. And when this is the case, *London* is its capital.

Note however that these four individual nations all have their own respective capitals.

Accordingly, the capital of
Scotland is *Edinburgh*,
Wales is *Cardiff*;
Northern Ireland is *Belfast*;
England is *London*.

Ps: Northern Ireland is not to be mistaken for the *Republic of Ireland*. The latter is a separate country. Its capital is *Dublin*.

Nicely put... for years now, I've seen a lot of folks make these errors of identification.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by georgeakins: 11:01am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I'd rather not go into the reasons for the Jan 15 1966 coup detat. It's maddening, I think most Nigerians subconsciously know the reason, but it's so terrifying they can't even tolerate acknowledging it as real. I repeat, when I began to find out the truth about how Nigeria degenerated into its present state, I almost went crazy because it became clear the popular narratives on all sides are ALL deliberately crafted lies.

I'm Igbo and I'm not wailing about Nigeria. I discuss Nigeria extensively, mainly as an exercise in socio-political analysis and predictability, but I'm definitely NOT wailing or complaining. The country is simply fascinating as a study in collective self degradation on a societal scale, it's even extending down to the family level. Really it's scarily fascinating, like watching a deadly car crash in slow motion.

The other countries worth similar attention in my opinion are South Africa and the USA, but Nigeria is really the cake. It's just....fascinating.

Nigerians can do whatever they want to themselves and their Zoo, fate has taken me beyond all that.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Ibos staged the coup of Jan 1966 out of greed and desperation to produce the head of states. Ibos realised that Azikwe had lost out in power sharing because the office of the ceremonial president he occupied had no constitutional power.

It is strange how Ibos gloss over the evil that took place in Jan 1966, but will be eager to talk about how Ironsi was murdered.
Without the coup of Jan 1966, there wouldn't be counter coup about 6 months after, and that civil war would have been avoided.

Once Ibos cannot defeat you in an election, the next thing is to wish you dead.
They did to it Buhari . At a time when buhari refused to die, they started lying to themselves and spreading rumour that Buhari was dead.
Since Tinubu won, Ibos have been praying for his death.
It is what Ibos did in Jan1966 that they're repeating today. The only difference is that they they lack the military power to execute their evil plans.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 11:11am On Sep 05, 2023
georgeakins:

Ibos staged the coup of Jan 1966 out of greed and desperation to produce the head of states. Ibos realised that Azikwe had lost out in power sharing because the office of the ceremonial president he occupied had no constitutional power.

Ummm, anyone who has read Nigerian history well knows that Zik basically GAVE UP the post of Prime Minister in order to induce the North to stay in Nigeria. How could you not know that? My conclusion is that you're very young and not well versed in Nigerian history. You seem to be a textbook example of how the mind can be damaged by racism and bigotry because you don't know history.

Sorry, I'm not inclined to give you the real reason for the Jan 15 1966 coup.

Good Luck to Nigeria.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Yujin(m): 11:16am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I wasn't inclined to read your sophistry here but I did. You accuse me of a weak argument but you brought up a historic thread that completely destroys your own argument. Let's look at it.

You wrote:

We all know, you acknowledge, that there was a prevalent Igbophobia in the North BEFORE independence. Actually as far back as the 1940s. By the way, my mother's family lived in the North for decades before Independence, she was born there, so I know all about the hostility to the Igbo in the North.

Now if you're in a country where you're subject to racist, tribalist hatred and you're offered INDEPENDENCE, an automatic way out of the hatred, why would you refuse? The Igbo people - like my mother's family - still ended up leaving all their property in the North, some of them lost their very lives in the United Nigeria suborned by Zik. I think there was a greater possibility of peaceful separation if Awo's proposal for a secession clause had been adopted.

Dear Sir, think about what you just wrote. Just do a logical analysis. It's NOT that hard to see that a serious mistake was made.

1) There was a prevalent Igbophobia in the North as far back as the 1930's. I'll add that there were periodic deadly pogroms against Igbo and other Southern residents. So it was clear that Northerners didn't like Igbo people. They didn't want them there and remember, it should go without saying, the presence of the Igbo there was FACILITATED by the FORCED unification of Nigeria by the British.

2) The British who made the error gathered everyone together at the Lancaster Conferences and told them to decide their future. The Igbo who were continual victims of tribalist mass murder were offered the chance to go away and form their own country where they could live in peace and manage their own lives free from Igbophobia.

3) Those very Igbo rejected the offer and because of the rules of negotiation, their refusal ensured the continued existence of the same Nigeria where they would remain subject to more riots, pogroms and mass murder.

Let me just repeat it for emphasis, the Igbo rejected a free offer to secede from a country within which they had been subjected to murderous pogroms for decades...a nation where Igbophobia was a potent ideology. Seriously, what did Zik and his fellow Igbo elites think would happen in the decades to come? That Igbophobia would just wither away and give way to a Pan Africanist love fest? shocked

Just think about all this and tell me who is making baseless justifications for a naive, stupid, Pan Africanism grin This same circumstance is why the English wisely decided to leave the EU, I mean look at the destruction wrought by European tribes with their conflicts up to World War 2. Mark it now, we'll be all dead and gone by then, but the EU will come to a sad end. Any wise, thoughtful leader KNOWS that tribal diversity within a democratic nation is dangerous. The lessons are replete throughout history....in Africa look at Congo in the 1960's, look at Rwanda more recently and many, many others.

What we should be asking is WHY the Igbo made such a suicidal decision to preserve the "perpetual" Unity of Nigeria. I know the reason, confirmed to me by those who know, but I'm not telling.

Good Luck to all Nigerians...you're gonna need it.

Let's get this thing very clearly. Was the offer for secession at the regional or ethnic level? I believe you'll agree with me that it was at the regional level and not either party or ethnic. Nnamdi Azikiwe an Igbo man from the Anioma clan might have seen the possibility of losing majority of his clan to Western Nigeria and he thought it was best not to allow it. It might partly be what encouraged him to seek for a united Nigeria. You certainly cannot fault him on this. Anioma situation was always a problem for the entire Igbo nation because of where the British placed them. The same thing still happened during the Biafran War. We on the Eastern side can't just leave our brothers behind. We suffer together and move together.

The Igbophobia in the north wasn't enough to make our leaders denounce pan-Africanism because they believed that with better understanding, we all could live together and build a super country. Remember that we just met under the British and our ways appeared strange to one another at the time. Today, the Igbophobia in northern Nigeria is only localized to the muslim Hausa-Fulani-Kanuri areas. The rest don't really have a problem with Igbos. The main problem is the fulanis who wield the power and are able to manipulate others politically to hate and work against Ndigbo. You should go and read about Gideon Orkar's coup. It will make you realize that some other ethnic groups in the north and middlebelt have realized that Igbos were never the problem. This is why many minority ethnic groups in the middlebelt are tilting towards Igbos today. They will never accept to be in the country with the fulanis... this I'm very sure of.

I'm a very firm proponent and active supporter of Biafra. I'm proudly an IPOB member but I know that if Nigeria is restructured in such a way that Ndigbo are all put in one region with our own constitution and we control our land and resources, I'll favour it over Biafra. My reason is simply pan-Africanism and the benefits that we all can get from it. However, I know that that type of restructuring won't happen in Nigeria because of 'bad belle' people who rather die than watch Igbos progress. This is why I'm currently putting my all for the emergence of Biafra.

Finally, I can wager that you neither know the main reason behind Congo nor Rwandan problem. I won't go into their issues unless you ask specifically about them then I'll tell you because my studies about various African countries is very deep to understand their peculiar problems so I can see how it affects pan-Africanism in general.

Mind you, I grew up in northern Nigeria so I know what is obtainable over there.
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by georgeakins: 11:34am On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Ummm, anyone who has read Nigerian history well knows that Zik basically GAVE UP the post of Prime Minister in order to induce the North to stay in Nigeria. How could you not know that?

I laughed when I read what you just posted.

Only an Ibo man would believe that fabrication.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by IbeOkehie: 11:34am On Sep 05, 2023
Yujin:

Let's get this thing very clearly. Was the offer for secession at the regional or ethnic level? I believe you'll agree with me that it was at the regional level and not either party or ethnic. Nnamdi Azikiwe an Igbo man from the Anioma clan might have seen the possibility of losing majority of his clan to Western Nigeria and he thought it was best not to allow it. It might partly be what encouraged him to seek for a united Nigeria. You certainly cannot fault him on this. Anioma situation was always a problem for the entire Igbo nation because of where the British placed them. The same thing still happened during the Biafran War. We on the Eastern side can't just leave our brothers behind. We suffer together and move together.

The Igbophobia in the north wasn't enough to make our leaders denounce pan-Africanism because they believed that with better understanding, we all could live together and build a super country. Remember that we just met under the British and our ways appeared strange to one another at the time. Today, the Igbophobia in northern Nigeria is only localized to the muslim Hausa-Fulani-Kanuri areas. The rest don't really have a problem with Igbos. The main problem is the fulanis who wield the power and are able to manipulate others politically to hate and work against Ndigbo. You should go and read about Gideon Orkar's coup. It will make you realize that some other ethnic groups in the north and middlebelt have realized that Igbos were never the problem. This is why many minority ethnic groups in the middlebelt are tilting towards Igbos today. They will never accept to be in the country with the fulanis... this I'm very sure of.

I'm a very firm proponent and active supporter of Biafra. I'm proudly an IPOB member but I know that if Nigeria is restructured in such a way that Ndigbo are all put in one region with our own constitution and we control our land and resources, I'll favour it over Biafra. My reason is simply pan-Africanism and the benefits that we all can get from it. However, I know that that type of restructuring won't happen in Nigeria because of 'bad belle' people who rather die than watch Igbos progress. This is why I'm currently putting my all for the emergence of Biafra.

Finally, I can wager that you neither know the main reason behind Congo nor Rwandan problem. I won't go into their issues unless you ask specifically about them then I'll tell you because my studies about various aAfrican countries is very deep to understand their peculiar problems so I can see how it affects pan-Africanism in general.

Mind you, I grew up in northern Nigeria so I know what is obtainable over there.

Rationalize all you want. The decision made by Zik & the Igbo to REJECT independence at the Lancaster Conference was a terrible mistake. Obafemi Awolowo wrote at least one book on the importance of TRIBE & ETHNICITY as THE basis of a modern nation state. Awo even forsaw the demise of the Soviet Union. He was wiser but the thing is, Zik and the Igbo had a different motive that I can't discuss here. Seriously eh, that Pan Africanist thing is a laugh, the an Igbo man who never built any large nation state, stifled in poverty in a humid rainforest, dreaming of saving Africa from his village hut grin Amazing naivety if you actually believe it, but it was NOT an Igbo motivation for insisting on a United Nigeria.

Pan African utopia LOL, abeg leave me alone jor. You Nigerians will not kill me with your upside down logic.

Good Luck to you all, enjoy the fruits of One Nigeria, every tribe is tasting the grapes of wrath grin
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by dupyshoo: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2023
Some of us want to know the motive. I am really learning about Nigeria history from this thread.
IbeOkehie:

Rationalize all you want. The decision made by Zik & the Igbo to REJECT independence at the Lancaster Conference was a terrible mistake. Obafemi Awolowo wrote at least one book on the importance of TRIBE & ETHNICITY as THE basis of a modern nation state. Awo even forsaw the demise of the Soviet Union. He was wiser but the thing is, Zik and the Igbo had a different motive that I can't discuss here. Seriously eh, that Pan Africanist thing is a laugh grin Amazing naivety if you actually believe it, but it was NOT an Igbo motivation for insisting on a United Nigeria.

Pan African utopia LOL, abeg leave me alone jor. You Nigerians will not kill me with your upside down logic.

Good Luck to you all, enjoy the fruits of One Nigeria, every tribe is tasting the grapes of wrath grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by chocboi78(m): 1:11pm On Sep 05, 2023
[quote author=IbeOkehie post=125584480]

Yes. And the more educated they were, the more they tended to support Buhari & APC. The doctors, professors, engineers were mostly in support of Buhari. Same goes for those that are Edo, Itsekiri and other Southerners and of course the Yoruba were standing for him gidigba, even Wole Soyinka did a 180 degree turn.

Dear Sir, go on Facebook and look up the commentary of ordinary but highly educated Igbo at the time. I sincerely don't know where people get this notion that the Igbo were only 5% for Buhari. It's simply not true. I lost many, many friends at the time.

Nope, you omitted my proviso. I said don't assign opinions based on group identity when you have the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with the person in question. I even emphasized that reservation with CAPITAL LETTERS to make sure it got across.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. It's REASONABLE to assume that a random Black American you meet likely voted for Democrats in any election UNTIL you get the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with the person.

If I meet a Fulani man in the USA, it's REASONABLE to assume they're a Muslim and as such I wouldn't offer them pork. If it's very important to me to extend my hospitality in that way, I will then COMMUNICATE with the person. There are many Fulani Christians and I might be proven wrong on my assumptions. Something like that actually happened to me with a Lebanese/Fulani classmate in University.

I think before I write. The vast majority of Nigerians hold onto beliefs and opinions based on emotion, spite and bigotry.

Good Luck to Nigerians. You’re still doin the same thing. Firstly it’s obvious you’re not based in Nigeria at least for long while. There’s no form of interaction you’ll have with Diasporians that’ll account for the other 250million Nigerians at home. An election was cast and counted, and PMB didn’t win the SE, didn’t even come close. So No. majority of Igbos didn’t support PMB in 2015.
Secondly , you talk about giving people chance to communicate their minds before reaching a general conclusion, and you still go to say the vast majority of Nigerians hold opinions based on emotions, there again You’re wrong. I am an average graduate of Igbo heritage In Nigeria and I have friends , acquaintances and colleagues of the same sphere who don’t conform to what you described us to be.
YOU CANT NOT BE HERE, NOT HAVE SPOKEN TO THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE CITIZENS and yet act like you’re here, and have interacted with the majority of Nigeria citizens.
Good day
Re: Difference Between England, Uk, Great Britain And Northern Ireland. by Yujin(m): 1:33pm On Sep 05, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Rationalize all you want. The decision made by Zik & the Igbo to REJECT independence at the Lancaster Conference was a terrible mistake. Obafemi Awolowo wrote at least one book on the importance of TRIBE & ETHNICITY as THE basis of a modern nation state. Awo even forsaw the demise of the Soviet Union. He was wiser but the thing is, Zik and the Igbo had a different motive that I can't discuss here. Seriously eh, that Pan Africanist thing is a laugh, the an Igbo man who never built any large nation state, stifled in poverty in a humid rainforest, dreaming of saving Africa from his village hut grin Amazing naivety if you actually believe it, but it was NOT an Igbo motivation for insisting on a United Nigeria.

Ok. Whatever rocks your boat. We all shall see how Nigeria ends. Ndigbo will surely outlive Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / EU May Impose Tough Visa Rules On Nigeria Over Illegal Migration / Ibom Air Acquire Fifth Airplane, 5 More Expected Before 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.