Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,033 members, 7,814,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths (27680 Views)

Japa Propaganda And The Mindset Of The Nigerian Youths / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by LandMann: 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Hello Everyone, first of all I apologize in advance for the long note and also about my English, not actually my first language. cry

My name is Mimi, I was born in Nigeria... But cos of the nature of my dad's profession i have spent around 75% of my life in different countries outside Nigeria... Mostly in EU.

Well enough said about myself, cos this topic is not about me but about Nigerians... Our general mentality and perception of abroad.

Guys listen up... All that glitters is not really gold. Out there is not entirely what people think it is. And you might think just because I have spent so much time outside Nigeria i do not understand the struggle in Nigeria and therefore not qualified to tell you all this "nonsense"..... I completely get it.. trust me.

But even a random 3 years old kid knows that the country is messed up and nothing to write home about, we all know about the Suffering, depression and "starvation level of poverty" in Nigeria yeah.... That's why everyone is desperatly looking for a way out, no doubt... but trust me, JAPA is not 'always' your ticket out of poverty... Well 'sometimes' it is... but most times it's just your direct ticket to being subjected to racism,more depression,more struggles,several mental disorder,homelessness, modern day slavery and the list goes on and on.

Trust me... when it comes to hustling field, success is much more louder than failure. cos our mind was designed to constantly search for hope. which means you would quickly hear about the lucky 3% that made it big through JAPA, but hardly hear about the remaining unlucky 97% that found themselves in worse possible condition after the same JAPA. There's no money tree out here... there's no diamond river out here...
Is there more opportunities? Well yes, But there are millions of people that already done and still doing whatever you intend to come do over here and yet they are still in the worse condition than you are in right now.

You would literally cry when you see what most of our African brothers and sisters go through around the world in the name of Japa. And as a Nigerian?? Trust me it gets worse.. and your chances gets even much smaller. Cos no one trust Nigerians anymore any where around the world and I believe we all know why.

Sorry but I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, kill anyone's vibe or being a negative biitch! Naaaah I'm only trying to be realistic! I'm only trying to tell you something no travel agent would ever tell you and something people abroad hardly tell you, and even when they eventually do tell you...? You don't believe them.. instead you result to asking them questions like "why are they still there if it's that bad"? .....

Well.... You wanna know why most of them are still there? Let me tell you why... there is a psychological reason for that... First They are still in DENIAL. Imagine dreaming your entire life to travel abroad and finally have a good life, you probably invested almost everything or everything you have got to make it happen (your money, your time, your last hope)
But then you finally got there and then meet a reality that is entirely different from your life long dreams and perception of these faraway green lands?
I don't know if you know... but our brain is defensive in nature, it will automatically switch straight to denial mode... Leaving you with atleast enough 'hope and wait for a magic or should i say a miracle' (afterall this is abroad where magic happens?)
This is just one of the reasons why most of these people continue sticking around instead of returning home.

Another reason is that they are worried about what people back home would say or think... Because the people back home also got this general fvcked up mentality and very high expectation of people coming back from Japa (y'all need to stop it! Y'all need to get rid of that mentality, seriously embarassed) cos like I said earlier... there is no bleeping money tree over there! I don't know where Nigerians got that idea from in the first place...
It needs to stop, yall driving the youth nuts with such mentality, it's doing more harm than good. That high expectation/ pressure back home is mostly the reason our people are more likely to result to crime out here (so just stop it! cry )

I have met alot of other African nationalities abroad... and amazingly they don't share the same mentality we have about Abroad. They treat abroad as just another hustling ground and not a direct ticket to success... Therefore they are more relaxed and less pressured than Nigerians out here.

Moving Abroad is not such a bad idea though, it worked and still works for few lucky ones (including my Family) it would be wrong and biased of me if I fail to mention that..
There are plenty of and more opportunities over out here not doubt...
But what I'm just saying is that... it's not always that easily reached.. as most people automatically believe.
Look... Somehow all these countries are intelligently designed In such a way that it take back almost entirely everything you make out here from you one way or the other... Through tax, through mind blowing bills or random expenses around every corner.

And at the end of the day you realize you are nothing but a modern day slave building someone's country for free... And without freedom.

Most people screaming Japa in Nigeria are far in better living condition and more stable mentally ,more happy than majority of people in the so called abroad without even knowing it. Sometimes Instead of gambling and betting your hard earned million of naira on Japa, it's more advisable to chill out... relax and invest that Millions in Nigeria. I'm just saying... You would probably end up living a life most people over there can only envy and dream of.

Thanks for reading my long note... I hope this helps someone in making a life decision out there. #ItsYourGurlMimi kiss

Your post is very useless, I swear.

I personally know more than 20 persons that have travelled out of this country.

All of them have achieved what they would never have achieved if they had spent the same number of years in Nigeria.

All of them are now more educated, healthy and achieved financial freedom to live the life of their dream e.g Build a house, start a business, fund their children's education, etc.

What is the hope of achieving all that in Nigeria where Nigerians slave away their life to earn minimum wage of less than $35 for a whole month... meanwhile their health suffers, security is not assured, Inflation killing, education poor, everything useless.

For the middle or lower class to make it in Nigeria, you need to either be extremely lucky, extremely corrupt or both because the system does not support or provide the environment for personal growth and development.

Ordinary constant electricity, Nigeria cannot guarantee it for her citizens 63 years after independence and you want them to remain in the country.

Then you foolishly talk about racism as if the tribalism in Nigeria is better than the racism overseas.

You're not in any position to advise people to stop seeking for greener pastures abroad because you don't know their pains and because you still have a silver spoon stuck in your mouth right from birth.

If you want to test yourself, give out all the money in your account to charity, burn your passports, burn your certificates, change your name legally and come start life all over in Nigeria by going to school or searching for a job.

If your eye no clear after 1 year of struggle I'll deactivate my account.

Again, in case you missed it, your post is very useless.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Chassy03: 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Hello Everyone, first of all I apologize in advance for the long note and also about my English, not actually my first language. cry

My name is Mimi, I was born in Nigeria... But cos of the nature of my dad's profession i have spent around 75% of my life in different countries outside Nigeria... Mostly in EU.

Well enough said about myself, cos this topic is not about me but about Nigerians... Our general mentality and perception of abroad.

Guys listen up... All that glitters is not really gold. Out there is not entirely what people think it is. And you might think just because I have spent so much time outside Nigeria i do not understand the struggle in Nigeria and therefore not qualified to tell you all this "nonsense"..... I completely get it.. trust me.

But even a random 3 years old kid knows that the country is messed up and nothing to write home about, we all know about the Suffering, depression and "starvation level of poverty" in Nigeria yeah.... That's why everyone is desperatly looking for a way out, no doubt... but trust me, JAPA is not 'always' your ticket out of poverty... Well 'sometimes' it is... but most times it's just your direct ticket to being subjected to racism,more depression,more struggles,several mental disorder,homelessness, modern day slavery and the list goes on and on.

Trust me... when it comes to hustling field, success is much more louder than failure. cos our mind was designed to constantly search for hope. which means you would quickly hear about the lucky 3% that made it big through JAPA, but hardly hear about the remaining unlucky 97% that found themselves in worse possible condition after the same JAPA. There's no money tree out here... there's no diamond river out here...
Is there more opportunities? Well yes, But there are millions of people that already done and still doing whatever you intend to come do over here and yet they are still in the worse condition than you are in right now.

You would literally cry when you see what most of our African brothers and sisters go through around the world in the name of Japa. And as a Nigerian?? Trust me it gets worse.. and your chances gets even much smaller. Cos no one trust Nigerians anymore any where around the world and I believe we all know why.

Sorry but I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, kill anyone's vibe or being a negative biitch! Naaaah I'm only trying to be realistic! I'm only trying to tell you something no travel agent would ever tell you and something people abroad hardly tell you, and even when they eventually do tell you...? You don't believe them.. instead you result to asking them questions like "why are they still there if it's that bad"? .....

Well.... You wanna know why most of them are still there? Let me tell you why... there is a psychological reason for that... First They are still in DENIAL. Imagine dreaming your entire life to travel abroad and finally have a good life, you probably invested almost everything or everything you have got to make it happen (your money, your time, your last hope)
But then you finally got there and then meet a reality that is entirely different from your life long dreams and perception of these faraway green lands?
I don't know if you know... but our brain is defensive in nature, it will automatically switch straight to denial mode... Leaving you with atleast enough 'hope and wait for a magic or should i say a miracle' (afterall this is abroad where magic happens?)
This is just one of the reasons why most of these people continue sticking around instead of returning home.

Another reason is that they are worried about what people back home would say or think... Because the people back home also got this general fvcked up mentality and very high expectation of people coming back from Japa (y'all need to stop it! Y'all need to get rid of that mentality, seriously embarassed) cos like I said earlier... there is no bleeping money tree over there! I don't know where Nigerians got that idea from in the first place...
It needs to stop, yall driving the youth nuts with such mentality, it's doing more harm than good. That high expectation/ pressure back home is mostly the reason our people are more likely to result to crime out here (so just stop it! cry )

I have met alot of other African nationalities abroad... and amazingly they don't share the same mentality we have about Abroad. They treat abroad as just another hustling ground and not a direct ticket to success... Therefore they are more relaxed and less pressured than Nigerians out here.

Moving Abroad is not such a bad idea though, it worked and still works for few lucky ones (including my Family) it would be wrong and biased of me if I fail to mention that..
But what I'm just saying is that... it's not always that easily reached.. as most people automatically believe.
Look... Somehow all these countries are intelligently designed In such a way that it take back almost entirely everything you make out here from you one way or the other... Through tax, through mind blowing bills or random expenses around every corner.

And at the end of the day you realize you are nothing but a modern day slave building someone's country for free... And without freedom.

Most people screaming Japa in Nigeria are far in better living condition and more stable mentally ,more happy than majority of people in the so called abroad without even knowing it. Sometimes Instead of gambling and betting your hard earned million of naira on Japa, it's more advisable to chill out... relax and invest that Millions in Nigeria. I'm just saying... You would probably end up living a life most people over there can only envy and dream of.

Thanks for reading my long note... I hope this helps someone in making a life decision out there. #ItsYourGurlMimi kiss

save the long epistle for your unborn kid...lemme jakpa first and see if I will make it or not

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by clinician2x: 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
The person that wrote this nonsense have not returned to Nigeria, carry her educational certificates and be looking for job from one place to another. If you do so for 2 years come back here and review this nonsense you wrote here.

It's okay for u not to make something meaningful from your opportunity. The person who used 10,000 bitcoin to buy just 2 pizza wasted his opportunity, just like many others. The point is there will always be stupld people but do not think that others can be ambitionless like you. That is where u make huge mistakes.

6 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Mindlog: 12:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
Wodu89:

Haba are we that bad ni ?

I prefer my life here in Cambridge to anywhere in Nigeria, except my village when I am home on vacation. cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by ufotunang: 12:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
If that foreign country you Japa to is not good...then come back to nigeria na...no talk too much grammar here

7 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Wodu89: 12:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mindlog:

I prefer my life here in Cambridge to anywhere in Nigeria, except my village when I am home on vacation. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I see. I'll try traveling out for a couple of weeks next year to experience what it feels like in other climes
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by SmartPolician: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Not like it matters, but I live outside which doesn't limit my understanding of the situation in my home country(Nigeria)
You don't need to experience a bone fracture to know what it feels like.

Madam Adviser, relocate to Nigeria.

Stay in your country and give this advice.

Afterwards, we will take you seriously.

11 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Programmer47: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
Shampoo77:
It is not all about money, it all about a good life. How will you encourage someone to stay in a country where there are no good schools, no hospitals, no good power supplies but high in corruption, banditry, religious intolerance, police brutality, armed robberies and kidnappings. It is only a wicked person that will advise people to live in Nigeria when they have the means to leave.

A country where some sections practice sharia and book haram are meant to be just disgruntled individuals.
See, if Nigeria was working , a lot of people would not mind but nothing is working and we are forced to smile like All is well.
Now , we celebrate things like palliative. How low cam a society get.
Nobody is talking about the naira again

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by SIRTee15: 12:07pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
As expected... There's would always be that one guy. #Sighs

Sir I'm certain you didn't read my entire note, or you simply don't get my point. I'm not telling anyone not to Japa, it's a free world... I'm only revealing the dark side of the moon, Which everyone deserve to know about too atleast before making a life decision. What's not fair is basing your decision entirely only on the bright side of the moon. I'm not wicked sir... And never will.

So u live outside but u telling people not to JAPA.
What u should do is relocate to Nigeria for at least a yr or 2, then u can have an opinion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Mindlog: 12:08pm On Sep 12, 2023
Wodu89:

I see. I'll try traveling out for a couple of weeks next year to experience what it feels like in other climes

It is good to travel and experience life in other Countries,

1 Like

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by lexy2014: 12:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Not like it matters, but I live outside which doesn't limit my understanding of the situation in my home country(Nigeria)

Why shouldn't it matter?

You live outside the nigeria and you say all that glitters is not gold abroad. Why haven't u relocated to Nigeria?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by TheBillyonaire: 12:10pm On Sep 12, 2023
NO COMFORTABLE NIGERIAN, LIVES ABROAD.

EXCEPT THE MENTALLY ENSLAVED.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by lexy2014: 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2023
AutoConsultng:

I doubt you even read the whole piece. The lady wrote an unbiased and balanced piece up there. Learn or perish.

Is the lady living in Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by gaby(m): 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2023
Ishilove:

Not in this case, Mimi.

I urge you to come and live in Nigeria for a year and then afterwards, you are free to rewrite this article

End of discussion.

There are a few salient points in her write up though such as the need to lower expectations and not bow to unnecessary pressures of making it to flaunt or impress anyone.
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Moh99: 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
jesmond3945:
you are not being fair and just if you live in abroad and you are giving such an advise. Are you also aware that most african leaders prefer keeping their people in penury while sending their kids abroad or investing there. Look at ondo governor or even buhari. Do you know if buhari was not treated in uk, he would have been a dead man. So i say you guys giving these advise while outside Nigeria are very mean and wicked.
But Dangote's brother was treated in USA and he didn't survive. Many of African leaders if not all, are doing well (looted money) before they carry their children/investment to abroad.

1 Like

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Revolva(m): 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
The writer out there is an ee diot....and does not want you to travel and see the beauty of other counties so that you will forver have a mediocritc thinking of life.....

Thunder and Ogun go strike any one wey say make i no travel

5 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Stevosty: 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
jesmond3945:
the dark side of the moon in abroad is far better than the bright side of the moon in naija
how many people actually live in the bright side of the moon in naija, the few middle class are japaing. If you are not lazy in naija, dat abroad is a cake walk.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by famology(m): 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
OP u dey mad ni
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by NoToPile: 12:18pm On Sep 12, 2023
This is one of the things I hate on Japa threads, the lady made a lot of sense in her write up and it's even a very balanced post but she will be attacked just like others.

It's like no body noticed other things she said, about the pressure those at home give those abroad etc.

Prepare for more attacks OP

Nawa.

3 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by jiggar(m): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:

Nice write-up.

I just like the way you presented your points.

You are just trying to help others who are planning to japa, not to be too fixated on achieving financial freedom immediately, once they finally japa.

All that you said, are all facts. It's just that, African leaders are driving this japa syndrome at an astronomical rate, no thanks to their desire to keep looting the nation's treasury.

This is 2023, and yet, no black nation can lift up its head and shoulders and say, we are advancing both in human capital and IOT indices.

However, hope with your experiences and travels, you (or your folks) can, if possible, sometime in the future, create a small business back home to employ your fellow citizens?

At least, that way, you will be helping to reduce the unemployment figures in the country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by mukthar2000(m): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
Thank u for the advice op, just believe that even though u preach form morning till night most Niger youths about worsted side of abroad they would never listing to u, instead they insult u as if u are their enemy of progress, one thing I believed is NO PLACE LIKE HOME, even though I travel with my legit visa is just to go on visit not to see any country as if they buried my success their. Imaging the modern stavely and the racism threatened our Niger guys in diaspora, their own youth we Nevers be call to face any hard work, instead na black they would call to face the most harder work. GOD PLS HELP OUR NIGER YOUTHS IN DIASPORA PLS.

3 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by olola4(m): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
The “No money tree out there” is funny, I am presently in the UK and anytime me or my friend are going for shifts/work what we say is that “I want to go and pluck money on the tree” in Yoruba “Mo fe lo ka owo Lori Igi” grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by OboOlora(f): 12:20pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Know not feel.
U will only have an idea what the pain feels like but do you really feel the pain?
U lots write rubbish so eloquently that it is difficult for intelligent people to relate.
Keep the fire burning, the gullible ones on here will take you serious!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Entanglement: 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:

wow! Wonderful piece of useless garbage sponsored by the government undecided

As a person who have travelled successfully with complete documents in check and not travel through illegal method, I would say if you have to opportunity please Japa! Leave this useless country called Nigeria.

Now if you ask this nicompoop are you coming back to Nigeria or in Nigeria?
You guess my answer right!

And one more note! Never you take advise from a woman especially black women.
They don't have brain.
This op issue maybe she is suffering from depression abroad but ask her to come back she won't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Mccullum: 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
Thanks for this experts advise,

May God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by pongwa(m): 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:

bank manager in UBA with over 17 yrs experience just moved to UK with her family. This foolishness of the highest

1 Like

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by nomolos92: 12:23pm On Sep 12, 2023
We live like slaves in our own country too, imagine a place where a graduate will be presented a salary of 45k, working to eat like a goat, yes it's not easy abroad but it's harder here in Nigeria, so I'll advise anybody that has the means to japa and not look back, it's better to face the racism and still have something to save after all the expenses you mentioned than living a hopeless life here in Nigeria, I've lived outside Nigeria for three years so I'm speaking out of experience

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Flames000(m): 12:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
You write these long things just to explain wetin nobody ask you…

You to explain tire…

3 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by faithfull18(f): 12:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
We are tired, abroad people let people do want they want to do na, shuo. I am aware content creation about Japa gains traction now.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by ViktorCash: 12:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
grin
jesmond3945:
the dark side of the moon in abroad is far better than the bright side of the moon in naija
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Yaks02(m): 12:31pm On Sep 12, 2023
maestro299:
Insightful piece. But quick question: Are you currently based in Nigeria or outside the country?
It's not always about money, it's about job, security, sanity and peace of mind. How often do we get these in Nigeria?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 12, 2023
Funny enough most people traveling out of the country are "well to do" or "very comfortable" by standard. And when asked why they want a better future for their kids. I personally know of four that earns in million monthly in Nigeria but still want to relocate. 3 wants their families over there while they (husbands) shuttle between the two countries while the last one wants to go for study grin

I think it's high time we start separating "Japa" from "Relocation" grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Evacuation Of Trailers And Trucks Off Lagos Roads And Bridges In Pictures / Did Mungo Park Actually 'Discover' The River Niger? / A Note Of Warning To Travellers Without A Precise Knowledge Of Their Destination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.