Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths (27688 Views)

Japa Propaganda And The Mindset Of The Nigerian Youths / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Peterpaul96: 11:46am On Sep 12, 2023
E too much
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by nepapole(m): 11:47am On Sep 12, 2023
Another silly thread.

Leave people that want to go alone and leave those that want to stay.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by omoredia: 11:48am On Sep 12, 2023
olufak2001:
It's a pity that most people don't really know what is going on out there. Abroad is a good place to stay but if there is anyway to send your money home for investments, please do. Most of the money you make there will go back into the system. I have lived in Europe for good two years and I can say one or two things about Europe.

Also if you are above 45 years, please do a lot of research before you move. It takes time before you can get your documents.

Netherlands is a good place to live but if you have a study permit.

Before nko?
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Hello Everyone, first of all I apologize in advance for the long note and also about my English, not actually my first language. cry

My name is Mimi, I was born in Nigeria... But cos of the nature of my dad's profession i have spent around 75% of my life in different countries outside Nigeria... Mostly in EU.

Well enough said about myself, cos this topic is not about me but about Nigerians... Our general mentality and perception of abroad.

Guys listen up... All that glitters is not really gold. Out there is not entirely what people think it is. And you might think just because I have spent so much time outside Nigeria i do not understand the struggle in Nigeria and therefore not qualified to tell you all this "nonsense"..... I completely get it.. trust me.

But even a random 3 years old kid knows that the country is messed up and nothing to write home about, we all know about the Suffering, depression and "starvation level of poverty" in Nigeria yeah.... That's why everyone is desperatly looking for a way out, no doubt... but trust me, JAPA is not 'always' your ticket out of poverty... Well 'sometimes' it is... but most times it's just your direct ticket to being subjected to racism,more depression,more struggles,several mental disorder,homelessness, modern day slavery and the list goes on and on.

Trust me... when it comes to hustling field, success is much more louder than failure. cos our mind was designed to constantly search for hope. which means you would quickly hear about the lucky 3% that made it big through JAPA, but hardly hear about the remaining unlucky 97% that found themselves in worse possible condition after the same JAPA. There's no money tree out here... there's no diamond river out here...
Is there more opportunities? Well yes, But there are millions of people that already done and still doing whatever you intend to come do over here and yet they are still in the worse condition than you are in right now.

You would literally cry when you see what most of our African brothers and sisters go through around the world in the name of Japa. And as a Nigerian?? Trust me it gets worse.. and your chances gets even much smaller. Cos no one trust Nigerians anymore any where around the world and I believe we all know why.

Sorry but I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, kill anyone's vibe or being a negative biitch! Naaaah I'm only trying to be realistic! I'm only trying to tell you something no travel agent would ever tell you and something people abroad hardly tell you, and even when they eventually do tell you...? You don't believe them.. instead you result to asking them questions like "why are they still there if it's that bad"? .....

Well.... You wanna know why most of them are still there? Let me tell you why... there is a psychological reason for that... First They are still in DENIAL. Imagine dreaming your entire life to travel abroad and finally have a good life, you probably invested almost everything or everything you have got to make it happen (your money, your time, your last hope)
But then you finally got there and then meet a reality that is entirely different from your life long dreams and perception of these faraway green lands?
I don't know if you know... but our brain is defensive in nature, it will automatically switch straight to denial mode... Leaving you with atleast enough 'hope and wait for a magic or should i say a miracle' (afterall this is abroad where magic happens?)
This is just one of the reasons why most of these people continue sticking around instead of returning home.

Another reason is that they are worried about what people back home would say or think... Because the people back home also got this general fvcked up mentality and very high expectation of people coming back from Japa (y'all need to stop it! Y'all need to get rid of that mentality, seriously embarassed) cos like I said earlier... there is no bleeping money tree over there! I don't know where Nigerians got that idea from in the first place...
It needs to stop, yall driving the youth nuts with such mentality, it's doing more harm than good. That high expectation/ pressure back home is mostly the reason our people are more likely to result to crime out here (so just stop it! cry )

I have met alot of other African nationalities abroad... and amazingly they don't share the same mentality we have about Abroad. They treat abroad as just another hustling ground and not a direct ticket to success... Therefore they are more relaxed and less pressured than Nigerians out here.

Moving Abroad is not such a bad idea though, it worked and still works for few lucky ones (including my Family) it would be wrong and biased of me if I fail to mention that..
There are plenty of and more opportunities over out here not doubt...
But what I'm just saying is that... it's not always that easily reached.. as most people automatically believe.
Look... Somehow all these countries are intelligently designed In such a way that it take back almost entirely everything you make out here from you one way or the other... Through tax, through mind blowing bills or random expenses around every corner.

And at the end of the day you realize you are nothing but a modern day slave building someone's country for free... And without freedom.

Most people screaming Japa in Nigeria are far in better living condition and more stable mentally ,more happy than majority of people in the so called abroad without even knowing it. Sometimes Instead of gambling and betting your hard earned million of naira on Japa, it's more advisable to chill out... relax and invest that Millions in Nigeria. I'm just saying... You would probably end up living a life most people over there can only envy and dream of.

Thanks for reading my long note... I hope this helps someone in making a life decision out there. #ItsYourGurlMimi kiss

Stability is all that matters. Go where you have stability and peace of mind

9 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Nigeriagood(m): 11:49am On Sep 12, 2023
H
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by BennyDGreat: 11:49am On Sep 12, 2023
Knowing what works for you is key

1 Like

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by ImoleNaija: 11:50am On Sep 12, 2023
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by sacajawea: 11:50am On Sep 12, 2023
Na Lie!
Europe in Particular set, is a very sweet place

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by benqo01(m): 11:51am On Sep 12, 2023
I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT,BUT YOU SEE ME,MYSELF,MY FAMILY WE RE ALL MOVING OUT THIS COUNTRY

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Younghacka(m): 11:53am On Sep 12, 2023
Kudos To You MimiSheWrote For This Eye Opening Well Articulated Piece...
I Would Rather Travel Out On Vacation To Other Countries Of The World Than Japa Permanently, Except I Have An Irresistible Offer, Like Your Dad's.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Mosba: 11:53am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Hello Everyone, first of all I apologize in advance for the long note and also about my English, not actually my first language. cry

My name is Mimi, I was born in Nigeria... But cos of the nature of my dad's profession i have spent around 75% of my life in different countries outside Nigeria... Mostly in EU.

Well enough said about myself, cos this topic is not about me but about Nigerians... Our general mentality and perception of abroad.

Guys listen up... All that glitters is not really gold. Out there is not entirely what people think it is. And you might think just because I have spent so much time outside Nigeria i do not understand the struggle in Nigeria and therefore not qualified to tell you all this "nonsense"..... I completely get it.. trust me.

But even a random 3 years old kid knows that the country is messed up and nothing to write home about, we all know about the Suffering, depression and "starvation level of poverty" in Nigeria yeah.... That's why everyone is desperatly looking for a way out, no doubt... but trust me, JAPA is not 'always' your ticket out of poverty... Well 'sometimes' it is... but most times it's just your direct ticket to being subjected to racism,more depression,more struggles,several mental disorder,homelessness, modern day slavery and the list goes on and on.

Trust me... when it comes to hustling field, success is much more louder than failure. cos our mind was designed to constantly search for hope. which means you would quickly hear about the lucky 3% that made it big through JAPA, but hardly hear about the remaining unlucky 97% that found themselves in worse possible condition after the same JAPA. There's no money tree out here... there's no diamond river out here...
Is there more opportunities? Well yes, But there are millions of people that already done and still doing whatever you intend to come do over here and yet they are still in the worse condition than you are in right now.

You would literally cry when you see what most of our African brothers and sisters go through around the world in the name of Japa. And as a Nigerian?? Trust me it gets worse.. and your chances gets even much smaller. Cos no one trust Nigerians anymore any where around the world and I believe we all know why.

Sorry but I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, kill anyone's vibe or being a negative biitch! Naaaah I'm only trying to be realistic! I'm only trying to tell you something no travel agent would ever tell you and something people abroad hardly tell you, and even when they eventually do tell you...? You don't believe them.. instead you result to asking them questions like "why are they still there if it's that bad"? .....

Well.... You wanna know why most of them are still there? Let me tell you why... there is a psychological reason for that... First They are still in DENIAL. Imagine dreaming your entire life to travel abroad and finally have a good life, you probably invested almost everything or everything you have got to make it happen (your money, your time, your last hope)
But then you finally got there and then meet a reality that is entirely different from your life long dreams and perception of these faraway green lands?
I don't know if you know... but our brain is defensive in nature, it will automatically switch straight to denial mode... Leaving you with atleast enough 'hope and wait for a magic or should i say a miracle' (afterall this is abroad where magic happens?)
This is just one of the reasons why most of these people continue sticking around instead of returning home.

Another reason is that they are worried about what people back home would say or think... Because the people back home also got this general fvcked up mentality and very high expectation of people coming back from Japa (y'all need to stop it! Y'all need to get rid of that mentality, seriously embarassed) cos like I said earlier... there is no bleeping money tree over there! I don't know where Nigerians got that idea from in the first place...
It needs to stop, yall driving the youth nuts with such mentality, it's doing more harm than good. That high expectation/ pressure back home is mostly the reason our people are more likely to result to crime out here (so just stop it! cry )

I have met alot of other African nationalities abroad... and amazingly they don't share the same mentality we have about Abroad. They treat abroad as just another hustling ground and not a direct ticket to success... Therefore they are more relaxed and less pressured than Nigerians out here.

Moving Abroad is not such a bad idea though, it worked and still works for few lucky ones (including my Family) it would be wrong and biased of me if I fail to mention that..
But what I'm just saying is that... it's not always that easily reached.. as most people automatically believe.
Look... Somehow all these countries are intelligently designed In such a way that it take back almost entirely everything you make out here from you one way or the other... Through tax, through mind blowing bills or random expenses around every corner.

And at the end of the day you realize you are nothing but a modern day slave building someone's country for free... And without freedom.

Most people screaming Japa in Nigeria are far in better living condition and more stable mentally ,more happy than majority of people in the so called abroad without even knowing it. Sometimes Instead of gambling and betting your hard earned million of naira on Japa, it's more advisable to chill out... relax and invest that Millions in Nigeria. I'm just saying... You would probably end up living a life most people over there can only envy and dream of.

Thanks for reading my long note... I hope this helps someone in making a life decision out there. #ItsYourGurlMimi kiss

I will still ask you what you hate to hear, why are they still out there? Sending hundreds of naira home with ease and asking us to help them buy lands, build houses for rentage etc back home?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by studycenter: 11:54am On Sep 12, 2023
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Unrated900(m): 11:54am On Sep 12, 2023
This writter must be among tinubu's personal persons
Who doesn't want youth to travel out,but to engage in agriculture.
To the youth don't mind this writter.
He want to kill your dream.
If it's easier then come back to Naija and start afresh.
De play
Just de play.
U hear
De play.

MimiSheWrote:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Jamersirwin1971: 11:54am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:

With all this your stories . You think everyone is japing for money ni? Some for peace and others . Good security and others . I met some guys in Ghana who are not well to do but they prefer it there than Nigeria .

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Kingking001: 11:55am On Sep 12, 2023
Tanx a bunch mimi
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Unrated900(m): 11:56am On Sep 12, 2023
There is nothing In UK
Yet almost half Nigerians are in uk
Writter de play u hear
Just de play.
U can't kill the youth's dream
But ur own alone

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Holluwhakemmy(f): 11:56am On Sep 12, 2023
Stop discouraging us when we get there we will find solutions

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by AutoConsultng: 11:57am On Sep 12, 2023
jesmond3945:
you are not being fair and just if you live in abroad and you are giving such an advise. Are you also aware that most african leaders prefer keeping their people in penury while sending their kids abroad or investing there. Look at ondo governor or even buhari. Do you know if buhari was not treated in uk, he would have been a dead man. So i say you guys giving these advise while outside Nigeria are very mean and wicked.
I doubt you even read the whole piece. The lady wrote an unbiased and balanced piece up there. Learn or perish.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by BabaIbo: 11:57am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
As expected... There's would always be that one guy. #Sighs

Sir I'm certain you didn't read my entire note, or you simply don't get my point. I'm not telling anyone not to Japa, it's a free world... I'm only revealing the dark side of the moon, Which everyone deserve to know about too atleast before making a life decision. What's not fair is basing your decision entirely only on the bright side of the moon. I'm not wicked sir... And never will.

That guy is right, it is very mean and wicked of you to give such a discouraging write-up while living your life outside there.
It would have been better had it been you came back to settle down here in Nigeria after your socalled expenditure all over Europe.

After all, life is what you make out of it and the purpose of traveling out may not even be because of immediate benefit for oneself but for his or her loved ones.

That being said, you can gerrarahia.

No matter the length of your write up, it won't discourage the focused and determined minds.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by phemmyfour: 11:58am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:

Lies! people still trust Nigerians. My manager told me that he was confident I would do a good job even after a shaky start because of good working relationship he had with with previous staff that were Nigerians

13 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by lukaino(m): 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
Japa is not all about money but a need to live in a country where you wouldn't have to worry about basic needs like food, security, quality education, good roads, electricity etc. A society which rewards hard work, where government and its agencies have a human face.
i personally miss those days when i could hop into my car and embark on a road trip without fear of getting kidnapped.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by DaddyGngeess(m): 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
What you are saying is not really bad but where i disagree is the 3% making it at off 100% that one is a lie, i have been to almost all the European countries both the good ones and the bad ones one thing i will tell you is life is easy over there even if you didn't make it to become rich everyone will not make it in life, they have poor peope in Europe too but living standard is top notch and that what is really push us to japa, every Nigerian mind set of travelling is to make it, if we wanna live a normal, perfect and average life there wouldn't be any issues at all western world is very sweet.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by TongueTwista(m): 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Not like it matters, but I live outside which doesn't limit my understanding of the situation in my home country(Nigeria)
You don't need to experience a bone fracture to know what it feels like.

I beg to disagree.
You have to experience a bone fracture to "actually" know what it feels like.

Your understanding of the Nigerian circumstances is at best, watered down. That you feel you hear and see enough on the media, so should be a solid foundation upon which you form definitive opinions, is a shallow reasoning in and of itself (no disrespect intended).

No human is stupid enough to believe money grows on trees anywhere. Nigerians just want enabling environments and societies that reward commitment, hardwork and honest efforts. Very reasons we don't mind taking up demeaning jobs in foreign lands, so long as we get to reap the fruits of our labour.

And with due respect, you have no moral standing to be sitting in a foreign land and attempting to play down the hopes and beliefs of other Nigerians, under the guise that you're rendering advice. Even amongst Americans, not everyone is favoured by the American society. So Nigerians have every right to explore their alternatives and let he who finds grace, bask in the euphoria of it, whilst the man who reaps only regrets returns to learn the requisite lessons.

Life has never been meant to be understood. It is meant to be lived and explored, with everyone playing individual roles.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Donaldoni: 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
Some l*natics will tell you to come back home now cheesy

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Israel07: 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
I ain't reading allat n plz stfu! Japa is a million times better than whatever this gaddam shithole of a country has to offer

8 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Wodu89: 12:00pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mindlog:
Another dissertation on Japa....if you are skilled and your skill sets are in high demand in a foreign country that better appreciates it, do well and relocate.

Whenever I read about racism in such dissertation, I instantly assume the writer means tribal bigotry that catwalks boldly in Nigeria and in many African countries is a non issue.

A stable life with a sense of order,is what many desire, it is not just about the money.

I will prefer to save £300 monthly after all deductions and expenditures than saving N500K monthly in Nigeria (which less than 0.5% of Nigerians can in Nigeria)

Haba are we that bad ni ?

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by happney65: 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
Gerrard59:
The line between anti-japa person and residing in the abroad has never been curved. It has always been straight. Almost all, if not all, Nigerian elites have their families based abroad, and they have second citizenship such that living in Nigeria is a second option, not an only option.

I have outlined here: https://www.nairaland.com/7650379/points-consider-before-after-japa that intending japa folks should lower their expectations and plan accordingly. All countries are not equal. Some are better off than others. As black people, the US remains the best place to japa, whether as a hustler or skilled person.

While informing people about the ills and disadvantages is good, it is also essential to understand why they want to relocate. This japa thing sef, we don't relocate as much as the Indians, Chinese (yes, rich and middle class Chinese are relocating) and Filipinos. It is because we are exposed to Nigerian media and content which makes us think na only us dey emigrate, but those nationals emigrate way more than we do. They face greater challenges but are still migrating. With the news about India's growing economic clout, it is standard tradition for graduates of Indian elite IITs to emigrate to the US. To you, it is bad. But to them, it is the best thing to do.

As for the "racism" aspect, that is a humdrum statement and very hypocritical coming from a Nigerian. As I say, it is better to live with racists in a prosperous land than reside with tribalists in the world's poverty capital.

Economics over emotions.

Your second paragraph,and the second to the last paragraph are the best

Nothing more to add

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Shampoo77: 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
It is not all about money, it all about a good life. How will you encourage someone to stay in a country where there are no good schools, no hospitals, no good power supplies but high in corruption, banditry, religious intolerance, police brutality, armed robberies and kidnappings. It is only a wicked person that will advise people to live in Nigeria when they have the means to leave.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by King125007(m): 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
Nigeria movies and religion bodies help propagate this mentality
I don't see it stopping anytime soon sha
MimiSheWrote:

2 Likes

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Basicend: 12:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Hard Truth.

Bitter thou. . Many a stuck out there. . So many. . Better find God's path for urself.
Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by IkeAbuja: 12:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Well 'sometimes' it is... but most times it's just your direct ticket to being subjected to racism,more depression,more struggles,several mental disorder,homelessness, modern day slavery and the list goes on and on. you got the point here rejection in work places loneliness and depression really wants to finish me here but ain't still giving up yet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths by Lonestar124: 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
As expected... There's would always be that one guy. #Sighs

Sir I'm certain you didn't read my entire note, or you simply don't get my point. I'm not telling anyone not to Japa, it's a free world... I'm only revealing the dark side of the moon, Which everyone deserve to know about too atleast before making a life decision. What's not fair is basing your decision entirely only on the bright side of the moon. I'm not wicked sir... And never will.
Stop defending what you wrote above, it is totally gibberish if you're not living in Nigeria or Africa.....Even here in Liberia the people doing everything possible relocate out from Africa..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Note Of Warning To Travellers Without A Precise Knowledge Of Their Destination / When You Move To A New Place, What Is That First Thing You Look For?? / U.S Army Helicopter Crashes Killing 5 Soldiers Near San Diego (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.