Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,154 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? (16952 Views)

Jimmy Odukoya Defends His Decision For Dreading His Hair & Wearing Earrings(vid / Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? / Can A Genuine Christian Become A Billionaire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 17, 2023
How is plaiting hair effeminate?

And if you consider plaiting hair by black men to be effeminate, then it means growing of long hair by white men is also effeminate, yet those same white men grew long hair in the Bible, including Jesus.

Stop trying to twist Bible scriptures just so they can suit your own scenario.. What you're doing is demonizing the black race, which is what the white race wanted from the beginning when they introduced Christianity to Africans.
Glory2DLamb:

I Cor. 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor EFFEMINATE, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2023
If you check, the op is talking about Christianity, not culture.
tollyboy5:

He referenced culture not bilble..

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2023
Is the op talking about culture or Christianity?

Iseoluwani:

Are u an illiterate, can't you read, did u see anywhere Mentioned the bible

Culture
Culture culture
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 17, 2023
But as it grows bigger, he might need to plait it every now and then because the bigger it gets, the harder it becomes to manage on a daily basis.

Ask us African women.
Thomasankara:
[/color]African men keep natural Afro[color=#770077]

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Stevebuffet: 11:49am On Sep 17, 2023
It is a shame for men to braid their hair.

1 Cor. 11 V 7-16

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
[/b]9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
[b]14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Verse 14 says that nature or in the natural setting it’s a shame or abnormal for a man to have long hair. Having braids/locks would indicate of long hair.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Waltiro(m): 11:53am On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. It Don't deceive yourself with grammars.

Most of these beliefs had been indoctrinated by our colonial masters and passed on to our ancestors or forefathers and…..that effect has made us lose our heritage and sense of living.
Now we bear white names with inferior meaning to that of our native names, and practice a religion that we were actually forced to accept.

I have nothing to do with hair, as long as it's well taken care of and neat. Or religion as long as we all live in love and harmony. God is love, that's supreme.

Same thing goes with our military system where they have to keep a clean cut, whereas those that colonized us happen to do otherwise.

We just take unnecessary things too seriously in this country with no effect, instead of facing pressing matters of our situations so we can move forward and progress.

Regardless of any difference. We are all one and should accept each other without judging and move forward in facing the challenges of life we all suffer from.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Waltiro(m): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
Samantha124:
If you check, the op is talking about Christianity, not culture.

Even the Bible has been edited so many times with lots of things shredded as it's being translated from centuries back.

I doubt if Jesus was on low cut, and his disciples. Although catholic popes don't keep hair….could be because they’re old men. I'm not looking to argue with anyone, it's just a simple reasoning.

There's time for everything, when we’re all going bald, no one will advise to keep a clean shave. Just as nature takes place.

Judging others could be a sin, no one is perfect except God.

Move on with life, and work together in love with our various flaws to achieving a greater good.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by kals4luv990(m): 12:08pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. It Don't deceive yourself with grammars.
so Samson and john were an abomination abi..just dey play
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by nobilie: 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:
That's a right peculiar take, and I must say I disagree with it, mate! To say that a "genuine" Christian shouldn't have their hair in a particular style seems a bit judgy, if you don't mind me sayin' so.
As far as I can tell, there's nothin' in the Bible that says Christians can't have their hair in any particular way.

The idea that a Christian's appearance should be a certain way to "preach" or "convince" others seems a bit backwards, if ya ask me. After all, the Bible says that "man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
The focus should be on the person's character and actions, not on how they choose to look, yeah?
Man's outward appearance reflects the internal. U have ladies wearing nose rings, ankle and other kinds of ring not forgetting multiple ear rings. These are distractions to the children of God. When one can not diff a believer from the regular people on the street. A man who allows self to be lead by the spirit, will not always ask, is it in the bible but will look within and say, does this portray Jusus? The leading in spirit and in truth is the leading of the last days. When u allow traces of the people of the world to rob off on you, when u fall deep, u wont even know.
God help us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by nkpommpko(m): 12:15pm On Sep 17, 2023
1.What was Jesus Christ hair style. 2. if he was barbering his hair, who was his Barber?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by gregng(m): 12:19pm On Sep 17, 2023
You nailed it... Certain questions come into the plaform i just wonder the age braket of those sending and updating...

quote author=Wisereborn post=125842857]The kind talk and questions you ask on this forum is very funny

No one is really hitting the nail on the head

Why can't you ask questions like:
1. How can a christian defend his or herself if terrorists attack

2. What do we do to better our lives in the face of this harsh economy reality

3. How do we identity and deal with corruption undecided

4. How can you be a better citizen

5. What to do to stay honest even in business undecided infact teach how to be a better person in your environment

These are some of the problems in our immediate environment

Many of these questions will make lives better

Michael Jackson dey plait hair undecided supposing he's still alive, who amongst you will not jump at him or take pictures with him if he comes to your church undecided

Samson in the bible self keep hair

Hair shouldn't define someone's character, what God really want from us, we aren't doing!!!
[/quote]
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:
That's a right peculiar take, and I must say I disagree with it, mate! To say that a "genuine" Christian shouldn't have their hair in a particular style seems a bit judgy, if you don't mind me sayin' so.
As far as I can tell, there's nothin' in the Bible that says Christians can't have their hair in any particular way.

The idea that a Christian's appearance should be a certain way to "preach" or "convince" others seems a bit backwards, if ya ask me. After all, the Bible says that "man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
The focus should be on the person's character and actions, not on how they choose to look, yeah?

You are right. A lady without any bra, huge bre.asts, a very short mini skirt with no panties can stand on the alter to preach too. As the appearance doesn’t matter but only the inner character.

If you disagree with this then your statement up there is already flawed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by jossymekoos: 12:29pm On Sep 17, 2023
MrsTwrite:
It's his choice.

Good day sir /ma

Please as a Christian, one does not have a choice.

You can have your choice as a non Christian

But as a Christian, we have a way of living which is based on our choices

Thank you
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by porthouse7(f): 12:30pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:

so Samson in the bible no a devil abi
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by blowjohn(m): 12:33pm On Sep 17, 2023
The worst na earrings.
Even actors are not left out anymore.

Bb naija, virtually all the guys in the house wear earrings
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color] wasting time at saloon is a woman thing because they are wired to please their man, due to commitment and family management, no business oriented and business minded man will keep his head under a hairdresser to be dressed or plaited for upto 2hours[color=#770077]
Samantha124:
But as it grows bigger, he might need to plait it every now and then because the bigger it gets, the harder it becomes to manage on a daily basis.

Ask us African women.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by OMBIIGA: 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
A disciple person can easily make heaven and an indiscipline person can't make heaven. Hence, a christian man or boy that plate his hair is indiscipline to the core.
The answer is obvious.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Casham: 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
A man Plaiting his hair is not wrong Biblically. Samson plaited his hair into seven locks. Other Nazerites left their hair to grow long and so it is reasonable to assume they plaited their hair, at least periodically. Some nazerites in the Bible includes
Samuel the prophet and
John the baptist.
Some others made a vow and a requires demands that you leave your hair uncut until
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by jossymekoos: 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:

Good day
Your Bible quotation is right
However if you study romans 14 and 1 cor 8

You would understand that being right has a limit

What I mean is this : Paul said that I would never eat meat if it will cause a brother to stumble
And note that Paul said that eating meat offered to idol was not wrong
1 cor 11 vs 14 said that its disgraceful for a man to carry long hair

Thank you
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Qatar2022: 12:37pm On Sep 17, 2023
ebubeson:
If you check some churches, you may see guys plaiting their hair. You may notice such amongst the instrumentalists, drummers, bass guitar players etc.
The question is, should a genuine Christian guy Plait his hair?

To me, it is not a good appearance for a genuine Christian guy. Such appearance cannot be easily used to preach, and it may not allow sinners to be convinced to repent.
Capital NO
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by abimic(m): 12:43pm On Sep 17, 2023
Using studs, piercing your body, using tattoo, plaiting hair for men aren't something I would ever do or even condone around me, and if anyone chose to do same, it's left for God to decide who worships in spirit and good faith.

If a lady chose to dress seductively to church too, you won't even likewise come near me, I filter my thoughts and can't afford someone toy with it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Glory2DLamb(m): 12:49pm On Sep 17, 2023
SeriouslySense:
African Men plaiting their hair in the past was not seen as effeminate, so it was not a sin, but now that the people see it as effeminate, then it could or has now become sin. Out of the mind comes sin, not what is on the outside.

Adam and eve were naked and were okay, but when they ate of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, they were ashamed of their unclothedness.

I dont see it as sin, but since the people in my culture see it as sin, then i should not do it. Especially if i claim to be a Christian, but if i was in the west i could plait my hair provided the people and my mind do not see it as a sin.

If any action or lifestyle will cause us to sin, or is our weakness then we should not do it.

So, what are you saying in effect?
That Adam and Eve ate the fruit, how did it bring them closer to God?

Rom 1:28 KJV And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:32 KJV Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Just continue in your delusion.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by MightySparrow: 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2023
Shango Penterascal Assembly.
grin
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by RebirthPhoenix(m): 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:

I avoid people like you at all cost,, religion truly is the opion of the masses

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by spiritedtete: 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:

Who made it an abomination please?

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Edu93: 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2023
MAYOWAAK:
Meet the new General Overseer, Pastor Taiwo Odukoya's son; Pastor Jimmy Odukoya is the new General overseer of Fountain of Life Church, and his sister Tolu Odukoya Ijogun is the new associate Pastor. His ordination service is 30th of September.
What's going to happen to his acting career?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Originalsly: 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2023
Follow me on this as relates to this topic ... and feel free to disagree but say why.

" Emancipate yourself from mental slavery .... none but hs can free our minds".

Words from Bob Marley (Redemption Song)

Wayyy too many if us are mentally enslaved and don't even know. Ask yourself ... what is the natural hairstyle of the Black man?...if from birth his hair is never combed? ... like our ancestors? It will be dreadlocks. But yet ... we condemn our own natural hairstyle .... as improper ... irresponsible.... a sign that the person is no good ... ungodly ... evil. What do we accept as good? ... Godly? The man wearing his natural hair is ungodly... the one condemning has his hair in an unnatural style ... his wife has straightened her natural hair or has it hidden in Brazilian weave ... but they are closer to God ... if closeness to God is .measured by hair appearance. We keep judging people by outward appearance ... the reason we let our guards down when a "well dressed" con man approach us .... enter our store ... come to date our sisters and daughters ...... anyone can see he us such a responsiguy.

We need to stop judging people by their appearance.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by AllLovingGod: 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2023
The truth is, genuine christianity and guys plaiting hair doesn't go together. They're on parallel lines. [b]

Christianity and guys plaiting hairs? yes, admissible, but genuine/born again christian and guys plaiting hair? Nah! they're two parallel lines. They don't go together.
Cheers.
ebubeson:
If you check some churches, you may see guys plaiting their hair. You may notice such amongst the instrumentalists, drummers, bass guitar players etc.
The question is, should a genuine Christian guy Plait his hair?

To me, it is not a good appearance for a genuine Christian guy. Such appearance cannot be easily used to preach, and it may not allow sinners to be convinced to repent.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
Are you without sin, if you are then you are right to condemn, even what you do not know.

What did i say exactly to warrant such condemnation.

Remember the story of the servant with a great debt, he was forgiven, yet he will not forgive his fellow servant of his own debt. Remember what happened to that unforgiving servant. I hope you will understand. smiley smiley

Glory2DLamb:

So, what are you saying in effect?
That Adam and Eve ate the fruit, how did it bring them closer to God?

Rom 1:28 KJV And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:32 KJV Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Just continue in your delusion.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Glory2DLamb(m): 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2023
Freeko4:

The question of whether a genuine Christian guy should plait his hair is a matter of personal interpretation and cultural context. Different Christian denominations and individuals may have varying beliefs and practices regarding appearance and grooming.

In many Christian communities, appearance is seen as a matter of personal conviction and not a strict religious requirement. Some may argue that one's hairstyle does not define their faith or ability to preach the Gospel, while others may hold conservative views on grooming.

Ultimately, the decision to plait one's hair or choose a particular hairstyle should be based on individual beliefs, personal conviction, and the cultural norms of their specific Christian community. It's important to remember that Christianity encompasses a wide range of interpretations and practices, and there is no universally correct answer to this question.

Israel wanted to be like the cultures around them. Where did it lead them to? To captivity, to death and alienation from Jehovah.
What makes you think that the outcome will be different today?
God is not compelling anyone to become Christian. If you want to be a Christian, then God has given us his Word.
I keep wondering that people who present your kind of argument don't pour water into their tank instead of petrol or diesel since there is water everywhere.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Theweekend: 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2023
Wisereborn:
The kind talk and questions you ask on this forum is very funny

No one is really hitting the nail on the head

Why can't you ask questions like:
1. How can a christian defend his or herself if terrorists attack

2. What do we do to better our lives in the face of this harsh economy reality

3. How do we identity and deal with corruption undecided

4. How can you be a better citizen

5. What to do to stay honest even in business undecided infact teach how to be a better person in your environment

These are some of the problems in our immediate environment

Many of these questions will make lives better

Michael Jackson dey plait hair undecided supposing he's still alive, who amongst you will not jump at him or take pictures with him if he comes to your church undecided

Samson in the bible self keep hair

Hair shouldn't define someone's character, what God really want from us, we aren't doing!!!
better unadulterated oil dey ur head

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why A Christian Should Not Settle For Sexual Lust / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Shina Peller Saving Accident Victim / Qualities Of A Good Christian Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.