Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,683 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor (5591 Views)

Tribunal Dismisses Atiku's Petition, Affirms Tinubu As Elected President / Hassan Nasiha Sworn In As Zamfara Deputy Governor (Photos) / Mahdi Gusau Has Been Impeached As Zamfara Deputy Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Thonyb2: 7:13am On Sep 19, 2023
The Zamfara State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has affirmed the election of Dauda Lawal of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, as the governor of the State.

The tribunal dismissed the petition by Bello Matawalle, the gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, which challenged Lawal’s victory for lacking in merit.

It, therefore, awarded a N500,000 cost to the petitioner, Matawalle.

The three members of the panel: Justice Cordelia Ogadi, Justice Bello Hassan, and Justice Aliyu Gegele, were unanimous in their judgment.

The chairman of the three-man panel, Justice Cordelia Ogadi read the judgment of the tribunal, which lasted over four hours, .ng reports.

According to the tribunal, the petitioner failed to prove his allegation of wrongful collation of elections results and the election not being conducted in some wards in the State.

On the claim of non-compliance by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) with the Electoral Act and corrupt way of conducting the election, the tribunal ruled that Matawalle could not prove his allegation.

https://.ng/2023/09/19/tribunal-dismisses-matawalles-petition-affirms-lawal-as-zamfara-governor/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by TemplarLandry: 7:32am On Sep 19, 2023
cool

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by lazkizz(m): 11:15am On Sep 19, 2023
angry grin save me from this country
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by DWJOBScom(m): 11:15am On Sep 19, 2023
Good news from that side
Gov. Bello Matawalle got that role on a platter of Gold and failed to improve his state.
He spent all his discussing decamping , fighting his deputy and any other persons that desires a fight etc
He messed up big time

6 Likes

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Centcanada: 11:15am On Sep 19, 2023
Who take court serious again? Me or you? Hit Like if you take court serious in Nigeria and hit share if you don't
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by KINGsXchange(m): 11:15am On Sep 19, 2023
E good na
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by inoki247: 11:16am On Sep 19, 2023
Lol wetin Matawalle dey find person don beat u already u wan use back door enter...
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Exceed15: 11:16am On Sep 19, 2023
The idiot is even contesting the results. He turned zamfara into fulanis herdsmen Hq.

3 Likes

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Jackiedemie(m): 11:19am On Sep 19, 2023
This is victory to democracy only when APC is at the receiving end. When ever it favors APC, judges were bribed and APC has destroyed the hard end democracy and judiciary is corrupt. Nigerians, I hail una

6 Likes

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Skillsnigeria: 11:26am On Sep 19, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by englishmart(m): 11:28am On Sep 19, 2023
The Nigerian judiciary will give you judgement but never justice. They’re as corrupt as the druggies in Aso Rock

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by akanbiaa(m): 11:29am On Sep 19, 2023
Good
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by babajero(m): 12:00pm On Sep 19, 2023
They are giving all these judgements in favour of other parties in the north because they want apc to retain kano state, they will give judgement in favour of apc in kano state when the people will complain they will say what of other states.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by DatNaijaGuy: 12:27pm On Sep 19, 2023
Matawalle performed so poorly as governor and it was even shameful he had the courage to contest for a second term.
The people of Zamfara State had so much hope and expectations from him after Yari failed them, but Matawalle was not different from Yari.
Bunch of failures...

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by Xpress24(m): 12:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
MrGaniu:
Please help me; I am dying of hunger.

With five hundred naira, I should be able to buy something to eat. I know that things are hard these days, but please help me.

All I need is four hundred naira to enable me to withdraw five hundred naira at the POS.

I have two hundred naira in my account. Wema Bank 024 238 5167 (My name is Ganiu Yisa)

May God continue to bless you and all users of this forum. Amen

I know many of us are also going through a hard time. I am begging because I have no other means.

I have done my best to work hard for money, but my strength is diminishing.

I do concrete work at sites but haven't been there since eight days ago because I am very sick.
the 8 days no Dy finish?
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by rolams(m): 4:18pm On Sep 19, 2023
I think Governor Umo Eno and Peter Mbah will retain their mandates too.

Reason:

Umo Eno has gotten a judgement from the supreme court that backs his certificate. Therefore, the tribunal can't overrule the supreme court judgement.

Peter Mbah was able to tender tendere NYSC letters of redeployment, deferment and reinstatement letter to continue his NYSC programme after completing his part two in Law School. The Labour party, Edoga focused much on the certificate rather than the result. The tribunal may rule that it's a pre election matter. Again, the victory of Mbah against the APC and other candidates may also have positive effect here.

fergie001

garfied1

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by fergie001: 4:40pm On Sep 19, 2023
rolams:
I think Governor Umo Eno and Peter Mbah will retain their mandates too.

Reason:

Umo Eno has gotten a judgement from the supreme court that backs his certificate. Therefore, the tribunal can't overrule the supreme court judgement.

Peter Mbah was able to tender tendere NYSC letters of redeployment, deferment and reinstatement letter to continue his NYSC programme after completing his part two in Law School. The Labour party, Edoga focused much on the certificate rather than the result. The tribunal may rule that it's a pre election matter. Again, the victory of Mbah against the APC and other candidates may also have positive effect here.

garfield1
You are right about Umo Eno.
It stands on all fours with the Adeleke case where the Appeal Court had okayed his results only for the majority judgement to go the opposite direction. The higher Court rebuked that judgement.

For Mbah, there is already conflicting reports. The DSS is insisting that the report is genuine. The case of forgery must be foolproof.

Can forgery be proven when two conflicting agencies are at it?
Is NYSC a compulsory document to contest the Office of the President? NO. The higher Courts look likely to free him, though the tribunalay go against him.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by garfield1: 4:53pm On Sep 19, 2023
fergie001:

It stands on all fours with the Adeleke case where the Appeal Court had okayed his results only for the majority judgement to go the opposite direction. The higher Court rebuked that judgement.

For Mbah, there is already conflicting reports. The DSS is insisting that the report is genuine. The case of forgery must be foolproof.

Is NYSC a compulsory document to contest the Office of the President? NO. The higher Courts look likely to free him, though the tribunalay go against him.

Umo Eno is not adeleke.in adeleke no institution testified against adeleke but in umo Eno,waec and uniuyo testified against him but he has a chance of escaping unlike mba.there are reports that he has induced Femi through hon onofiok luke and wants to meet with akpabio.
Mbah is going,the DSS report is not tenable.it is laughable that you are even bringing DSS report when it is an nysc certificate.the officer who tendered it did so illegally in any case.only technicality can save him
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by fergie001: 5:58pm On Sep 19, 2023
garfield1:

Umo Eno is not adeleke.in adeleke no institution testified against adeleke but in umo Eno,waec and uniuyo testified against him but he has a chance of escaping unlike mba.there are reports that he has induced Femi through hon onofiok luke and wants to meet with akpabio.
Mbah is going,the DSS report is not tenable.it is laughable that you are even bringing DSS report when it is an nysc certificate.the officer who tendered it did so illegally in any case.only technicality can save him

Only ......
Unless the SSS personnel was not a staff of the Service, it is tenable.

In Liberation Movement v. PDP & Ors in 2020, the SSS was invited by the tribunal to testify and they did. The subject matter was also related to alleged forgery of the Bayelsa Deputy Governor's NYSC.

Again, tell me one thing different that OBA has done from Akan Okon?
Just one.

The SC said this Candidate is eminently qualified and the suit was lacking in merit. They also fined the petitioner N5 million, so a tribunal will now revisit the case when there is no new evidence?
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by rolams(m): 6:03pm On Sep 19, 2023
fergie001:

The bolded part is where I am looking at. Again, Edoga has not substantiated that he scored the highest vote.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by rolams(m): 6:06pm On Sep 19, 2023
garfield1:

Umo Eno can't be removed. Can tribunal overrule the supreme court? No.

The allegations have been cleared by the supreme court.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by garfield1: 6:11pm On Sep 19, 2023
rolams:

Umo Eno can't be removed. Can tribunal overrule the supreme court? No.

The allegations have been cleared by the supreme court.

You are making a mistake.akan okon took umo Eno to court before he submitted his waec to inec so there was no cause of action as it was prematurely instituted.besides,he failed to prove his case by calling waec to testify.
On the other hand, obong Albert of ypp timely went to the tribunal and waec and uniuyo testified against him.can you spot the difference? It is a matter of evidence and time
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by garfield1: 6:14pm On Sep 19, 2023
fergie001:

Only ......
Unless the SSS personnel was not a staff of the Service, it is tenable.

In Liberation Movement v. PDP & Ors in 2020, the SSS was invited by the tribunal to testify and they did. The subject matter was also related to alleged forgery of the Bayelsa Deputy Governor's NYSC.

In that same case,nysc never testified against Lawrence therefore DSS report will be tenable.this has been overtaken by oyetola vs inec,edevbie vs sheriff where the apex court requires the issuing institution to authenticate
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by fergie001: 6:56pm On Sep 19, 2023
garfield1:
In that same case,nysc never testified against Lawrence therefore DSS report will be tenable.this has been overtaken by oyetola vs inec,edevbie vs sheriff where the apex court requires the issuing institution to authenticate
I have told you that unless it is proven that the SSS person was not a Staff, the conflict will put doubts on the forgery claim.

If NYSC had already authenticated Lawrence, why did the DSS still come to same tribunal. The DSS affirmed there was alteration but it was done by the NYSC.

The issue of forgery must be unanimous, total, leaving no trace of doubts. Like they say in criminal law, it is better to free an accused, than convict an innocent.

The issuing authority cannot be the only authority, the Constitution also empowers the Police in Sections 214 & 215 and Section 4 of the Police Act 2020 to investigate criminal allegations which also involves forgery.

The DSS is also empowered by law to investigate crime, forgery etc.

Moreover, NYSC is not a qualification criteria. A thorough reflection of Agi v. PDP will provide some insight.

Don't get me wrong, the Issuing Institution to authenticate is valid but their testimony must not be controverted.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Matawalle’s Petition, Affirms Lawal As Zamfara Governor by rolams(m): 7:22pm On Sep 19, 2023
garfield1:

You are making a mistake.akan okon took umo Eno to court before he submitted his waec to inec so there was no cause of action as it was prematurely instituted.besides,he failed to prove his case by calling waec to testify.
On the other hand, obong Albert of ypp timely went to the tribunal and waec and uniuyo testified against him.can you spot the difference? It is a matter of evidence and time

Let's wait and see.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10, 000 Girls To Be Repatriated To Nigeria (from Morocco And Libya) / GEJ's Goal: Uninterrupted Power Supply In His Tenure / Igbos Did Not Kill My Wife And Children~ Husband Of Fatima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.